naturally thin people

Options

Replies

• in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    There is a downside to being naturally thin. You have to worry about becoming skinny fat...

I know, that's why I hate being on bed rest, but I'd rather heal completely first than have a chronic injury. I'm doing what I can.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, I'm quite serious. It's hard for me to gain weight or muscle. No health problems, I just don't gain easily.
    I'm curious why you read a weight loss forum if you're stuck at 99 lbs. trying to gain.
  • Jessica_Mujahidah
    Jessica_Mujahidah Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't care what science says about this, some people are just THIN.

I used to work with a girl who was lucky to be a size 6 Australian (I'm guessing that size 0 US). She would eat McDonalds for breakfast, Burger King for lunch, KFC for dinner. In between, she'd snack on things like banana bread, chips, chocolate. She never exercised. She never ate at home. She always ate takeaway and processed food. She drank on weekends, and then had junk food for the hangover. She just couldn't gain.

I know a few other girls like this, and their mums are also rake thing as well so I believe genetics plays a huge role in someone being naturally thin, or someone being naturally larger (and no, I'm not excusing FAT, I'm saying some people are just naturally larger and will never be "rake thin").

Ohhh, I'm quite serious. It's hard for me to gain weight or muscle. No health problems, I just don't gain easily.
    I'm curious why you read a weight loss forum if you're stuck at 99 lbs. trying to gain.

Because this is a health and fitness forum, not specifically a weight loss forum? We have many people here who are toning, trying to gain weight, at a healthy weight and use this to track and log.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    My 18 yr old daughter is 5'8, 112 and naturally thin.

Where I'm 5'10 and wouldn't be alive if I even came close to that weight. 2 inch difference.

She does have two jobs and a full time student but before that she always eats fast food, unless I cook, and just naturally thin like a model, her shoulders, shape, etc...everywhere we go people comment how she should model,... she didn't get that naturally thinness from me. My frame isn't tiny like hers. I do not know where she got that from. Possibly somewhere on her dad side as her aunt is naturally thin.

There is times I have made tacos and she will ask for three of four and eat them. lol... she eats a lot of fast food....drinks juice, soda, snacks and snacks on chips, cookies, whatever she wants,,, Her age may have something to do with it but her frame and height tell me she just is one of those lucky people that doesn't have to stress about it. She is tight, firm, and lean. I do tell her though she needs to eat better and like I said above when I cook she does. Time will tell if it will catch up with her at my age. lol

Just genetics for her and her metabolism tends to burn food faster than a lot of people. lol
  • Paula038
    Paula038 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    For years, I was convinced my husband was a "special snowflake" who didn't follow the laws of thermodynamics. He always ate much more than I did, got less exercise, and never picked up weight. I, on the other hand, could barely walk past a chocolate without picking up a couple of pounds.

So I measured his body fat, strapped a HRM on him when he exercised, calculated his TDEE, and tracked his calories over a week. (He was entirely unamused by having his supper weighed and measured.) Turns out he didn't eat much when he wasn't at home, moved more than I realized, and generally kept below his TDEE. In fact, I would guess that his actual TDEE is lower than the calculators suggest.

In contrast, my "slow" metabolism, which we labelled the "metabolism of a turnip", is (finally) starting to behave exactly as the calculators suggest. And the ultimate irony for me was finding out that my TDEE is actually way higher than his. Yay!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I guess I fall into the "naturally thin" category.....
    I did notice after 25 that my metabolism started slowing, and really dropped over age 30.....
    So the stuff I could eat at 19, I can not now.....

But at the same time, when I was in my teens and early 20's.....
    I was extremely active......so basketball, volleyball and lifting weights.....
  • anna1m
    anna1m Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Everyone always says I am naturally thin. They are amazed at how much I can eat if we go out for dinner or see me grab McDonald's on the way home. I always agreed with them, thinking I must be naturally thin as I never seemed to gain weight and could eat what I wanted. But- now that I have learned a bit more about food and become more self aware about my eating habits, I realize that I am not any different than them. I am a very focused, busy, person and if I am hungry while focusing on a task it is very easy for me to just ignore my hunger or not even notice it. I have no trouble going until 3-4pm until realizing that I am hungry. Then, if I am going out for dinner, I will have a small snack and then eat a huge meal at the restaurant. I am focusing on dinner with my friends and enjoying eating so of course I will put away an appetizer, full entrée, desert, and drinks. They always thought I could eat what I wanted because when we eat together that is what they see. They didn't see me rushing around all day getting things done and forgetting to eat. I didn't even realize it most of the time.

In trying to live a healthier lifestyle, I have been planning my breakfast, lunches, and dinner, and have found myself gaining weight at times because I am focusing on food, thus, consuming more. I have even found myself more hungry than before because food is on my mind :)

Now I want to be more healthy ( not get sick all the time, be physically fit) I am tracking food, and thinking about it more. It is funny how the mind works. Before I could eat anything I wanted and didn't worry about good nutrition and I was always very thin. Now because I have made nutrition as issue in my life, I find myself noticing what I am eating, thinking about food, wanting food, being hungrier, and gaining weight at times.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    rice_krispies_crazy_cat.jpg
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    LOL.

I'm liking you more and more, Piglet.

It's the sweater.
    I customized it m'self.
    It's a medium.
  • Beautyandthebeef
    Options
    My fiance eats non stop all day, not really very healthy and is very thing-even has a 6-pack without working out! so they do exist!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Everyone always says I am naturally thin. They are amazed at how much I can eat if we go out for dinner or see me grab McDonald's on the way home. I always agreed with them, thinking I must be naturally thin as I never seemed to gain weight and could eat what I wanted. But- now that I have learned a bit more about food and become more self aware about my eating habits, I realize that I am not any different than them. I am a very focused, busy, person and if I am hungry while focusing on a task it is very easy for me to just ignore my hunger or not even notice it. I have no trouble going until 3-4pm until realizing that I am hungry. Then, if I am going out for dinner, I will have a small snack and then eat a huge meal at the restaurant. I am focusing on dinner with my friends and enjoying eating so of course I will put away an appetizer, full entrée, desert, and drinks. They always thought I could eat what I wanted because when we eat together that is what they see. They didn't see me rushing around all day getting things done and forgetting to eat. I didn't even realize it most of the time.

This is how I was also during times of stress in my life. But, I started having problems because my body couldn't actually handle going that long without food and my heart would start to pound very fast, I'd feel very weak, and need to try and eat food as quickly as possible. It was no longer a healthy meal pattern for me. But, it is how I respond to stress. So, I changed it. Since joining mfp, I have developed more consistent healthy eating patterns for myself, and make sure I eat regularly and enjoy eating.
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Prior to me having a weight problem, people used to think I was naturally thin. It's true that I never counted calories and ate pretty much anything when I was thin, but it's also true that in reality I wasn't really eating that much. The main thing was that I would eat when I was hungry and stop when I was full. My weight problem started when I no longer was able to feel hunger or fullness. I could eat and eat and never really feel full which is why I have to count calories today. I wish I could go back to feeling hungry and full cause it was so much easier.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    My fiance eats non stop all day, not really very healthy and is very thing-even has a 6-pack without working out! so they do exist!

You can see his 6 pack because he is lean. He is obviously burning off any excess calories, despite what he is eating, just that's just science. :drinker:
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My husband is like a rail. He eats far more than me at each meal, drinks sugary sodas and coffee drinks regularly and snacks a lot. He is almost half my weight. We have been together over 5 years with this difference in our eating styles and he never gains weight. I would say he is one of those naturally thin people. They exist.
    Nothing you've written in this post (or subsequent posts) suggests that your husband is naturally thin . . . just that he has a higher TDEE than you and eats to meet that TDEE - not more, not less. If he did force himself to eat above that, he would gain weight.

It seems we have a different opinion of what "naturally thin" means. Not just you but others here. Some people say "Oh he is not naturally thin, he just has a higher metabolism or TDEE" or whatever other factor. To me that means he has a natural tendency to be able to eat far more food than I do, and stay thin. To me, that means "naturally thin". I don't assume that he could stuff himself all day every day with lard and stay thin. Is this what some people think we mean by "naturally thin"? lol, no, I am sure there is a threshold when he would start to gain weight for sure!

What I really mean by naturally thin, is that he can eat all he wants, be it healthy food or junk food, and far FAR more than I do, and stay thin while I either gain or maintain.

He eats the same diet I do, only I give him a bit more to compensate for his height and gender and general high metabolism that I know he has. Yet he eats a lot of junk food on top of that. His weight, despite this always remains between 150 to 165. It does fluctuate, but he never gains a large amount of weight despite his eating junk food to his hearts content on a regular basis. And by "hearts content" I do not mean he gorges himself. I only mean that he eats far more than I do, even taking into account the extra food he gets at meals, and it is usually junk food, without taking any consideration of how much he is eating and only stopping when it is gone or he is nice and full and sluggish. To me, this means "naturally thin".

Some people here seem to be kind of angry that some people simply do have an easier time staying thin. It is not a fat person's excuse (all the time). It is just that some people have this lucky trait. I don't bemoan or hold it against them. And I am certainly not in any kind of denial about how I put on weight. I ate far too much starchy foods for years. It was not always my fault, as I have explained, but the last year and 15 pounds certainly were. Because at that point we were ok financially again, but I missed awesome food and just let myself have everything I wanted. My husband did the same but he did not gain weight. Good for him! lol.

Some people's bodies just store fat more readily for a wide variety of reasons. Not matter how you feel about it, it is true. Maybe we can change the term "naturally thin" to "easily thin". Would that be more clear? Would the fat blaming sarcasm be less necessary if we changed the term?

Okay, this makes a little more sense . . . but it's still not a magical "lucky trait" in my opinion. It's just genetics, a 6'1 male is going to have a higher TDEE than a sedentary shorter female, and will therefore be able to eat more. I might feel differently about this if I had a lower TDEE - mine's about 2400 and I lose fairly rapidly eating 2000 calories a day - which is more than some people who are much heavier than me eat in order to maintain. I mean, but if my TDEE were 1800 and I saw myself starting to gain weight while eating the recommended amount of calories for an average woman (2000, I think), and I saw less active people eating more than that and staying the same, I might be pissed off about it too and blame it on them being "naturally thin" (and I don't think you're necessarily making an excuse and I don't mean to "fat blame" as you put it) . . .
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    I have a friend who is 'naturally thin'. She could eat Maccas all day if she wanted to. She is suppsoed to eat high calories to maintain a normal weight. This would all be great, theoretically, but it's a actually *kitten* of a thing- she has Cystic Fibrosis. Wouldn't wish that problem upon anyone.
  • AproMunro
    Options
    My husband is like a rail. He eats far more than me at each meal, drinks sugary sodas and coffee drinks regularly and snacks a lot. He is almost half my weight. We have been together over 5 years with this difference in our eating styles and he never gains weight. I would say he is one of those naturally thin people. They exist.
    Nothing you've written in this post (or subsequent posts) suggests that your husband is naturally thin . . . just that he has a higher TDEE than you and eats to meet that TDEE - not more, not less. If he did force himself to eat above that, he would gain weight.

It seems we have a different opinion of what "naturally thin" means. Not just you but others here. Some people say "Oh he is not naturally thin, he just has a higher metabolism or TDEE" or whatever other factor. To me that means he has a natural tendency to be able to eat far more food than I do, and stay thin. To me, that means "naturally thin". I don't assume that he could stuff himself all day every day with lard and stay thin. Is this what some people think we mean by "naturally thin"? lol, no, I am sure there is a threshold when he would start to gain weight for sure!

What I really mean by naturally thin, is that he can eat all he wants, be it healthy food or junk food, and far FAR more than I do, and stay thin while I either gain or maintain.

He eats the same diet I do, only I give him a bit more to compensate for his height and gender and general high metabolism that I know he has. Yet he eats a lot of junk food on top of that. His weight, despite this always remains between 150 to 165. It does fluctuate, but he never gains a large amount of weight despite his eating junk food to his hearts content on a regular basis. And by "hearts content" I do not mean he gorges himself. I only mean that he eats far more than I do, even taking into account the extra food he gets at meals, and it is usually junk food, without taking any consideration of how much he is eating and only stopping when it is gone or he is nice and full and sluggish. To me, this means "naturally thin".

Some people here seem to be kind of angry that some people simply do have an easier time staying thin. It is not a fat person's excuse (all the time). It is just that some people have this lucky trait. I don't bemoan or hold it against them. And I am certainly not in any kind of denial about how I put on weight. I ate far too much starchy foods for years. It was not always my fault, as I have explained, but the last year and 15 pounds certainly were. Because at that point we were ok financially again, but I missed awesome food and just let myself have everything I wanted. My husband did the same but he did not gain weight. Good for him! lol.

Some people's bodies just store fat more readily for a wide variety of reasons. Not matter how you feel about it, it is true. Maybe we can change the term "naturally thin" to "easily thin". Would that be more clear? Would the fat blaming sarcasm be less necessary if we changed the term?

Okay, this makes a little more sense . . . but it's still not a magical "lucky trait" in my opinion. It's just genetics, a 6'1 male is going to have a higher TDEE than a sedentary shorter female, and will therefore be able to eat more. I might feel differently about this if I had a lower TDEE - mine's about 2400 and I lose fairly rapidly eating 2000 calories a day - which is more than some people who are much heavier than me eat in order to maintain. I mean, but if my TDEE were 1800 and I saw myself starting to gain weight while eating the recommended amount of calories for an average woman (2000, I think), and I saw less active people eating more than that and staying the same, I might be pissed off about it too and blame it on them being "naturally thin" (and I don't think you're necessarily making an excuse and I don't mean to "fat blame" as you put it) . . .

Sorry, by "fat blaming" I was referring to other comments on this thread. I was responding to you first and then the thread generally. There are some pretty nasty and defensive comments here. Totally unnecessary as we are just having a conversation. People need to lighten up, for real.

Anyway, do keep in mind my hub is way more sedentary than I am. I at least walk a couple hours a few days a week and do house work most days. He is all day every day at his computer until I force him to get up and stretch once in a while. I can not wait to move in to the new building with an indoor pool. I'm gonna make that boy swim every other day. But then he may waste away to nothing! haha
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My husband hears this all of the time and so do my daughters. What I have realized is that, yes he eats all of the time, but he enjoys healthy food and is always moving. My daughters both eat but my youngest who is thin with a lot of muscle definition is always active and eats all day long in small amounts, my oldest eats less when she is less active and balances herself naturally.
    My sister on the other hand, the doctors have tried for years to get her to gain weight, she eats a good amount and is semi-active and still never weights over 105lbs. Her tests are all fine but even her doctor says she is just naturally thin.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    On a very simple level, your weight depends on the number of calories you consume, how many of those calories you store, and how many you burn up. But each of these factors is influenced by a combination of genes and environment. Both can affect your physiology (such as how fast you burn calories) as well as your behavior (the types of foods you choose to eat, for instance). The interplay between all these factors begins at the moment of your conception and continues throughout your life.
    The balance of calories stored and burned depends on your genetic makeup, your level of physical activity, and your resting energy expenditure (the number of calories your body burns while at rest).
    The strength of the genetic influence on weight disorders varies quite a bit from person to person. Research suggests that for some people, genes account for just 25% of the predisposition to be overweight, while for others the genetic influence is as high as 70% to 80%. Having a rough idea of how large a role genes play in your weight may be helpful in terms of treating your weight problems.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Why-people-become-overweight.htm
  • in_the_stars
    Options
    I don't care what science says about this, some people are just THIN.

I used to work with a girl who was lucky to be a size 6 Australian (I'm guessing that size 0 US). She would eat McDonalds for breakfast, Burger King for lunch, KFC for dinner. In between, she'd snack on things like banana bread, chips, chocolate. She never exercised. She never ate at home. She always ate takeaway and processed food. She drank on weekends, and then had junk food for the hangover. She just couldn't gain.

I know a few other girls like this, and their mums are also rake thing as well so I believe genetics plays a huge role in someone being naturally thin, or someone being naturally larger (and no, I'm not excusing FAT, I'm saying some people are just naturally larger and will never be "rake thin").

Because this is a health and fitness forum, not specifically a weight loss forum? We have many people here who are toning, trying to gain weight, at a healthy weight and use this to track and log.

Weight loss forum? Try fitness forum. I log to track macros and micros, and adore my friends here.
  • in_the_stars
    Options
    QUOTE:
    The strength of the genetic influence on weight disorders varies quite a bit from person to person. Research suggests that for some people, genes account for just 25% of the predisposition to be overweight, while for others the genetic influence is as high as 70% to 80%. Having a rough idea of how large a role genes play in your weight may be helpful in terms of treating your weight problems.

Excellent, Hornsby. :)