naturally thin people

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
  • AproMunro
    Options
    My husband is like a rail. He eats far more than me at each meal, drinks sugary sodas and coffee drinks regularly and snacks a lot. He is almost half my weight. We have been together over 5 years with this difference in our eating styles and he never gains weight. I would say he is one of those naturally thin people. They exist.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. My husband is 6ft 1in and 160 pounds. A weekly diet for him consists of up to seven soda pops, four or five bags of candy, a bag of peanuts, a gallon of whole milk with added chocolate syrup, and food-wise he eats huge helpings of pasta, half a pizza, hot dogs/pigs in a blanket, chips galore, and other similar foods. The ONLY vegetable he eats is corn but that is VERY rare. He's been eating like this the entire 3 1/2 years we've been together. Excluding the past nine months, his job has been to sit on his butt up to ten hours a day just answering calls. He works hard labor now but, still, I don't understand how he does this without gaining weight.

Haha Girl you just described my husband to a T, even his weight and height! Only I do make most of his meals and make sure he eats healthy foods, but I do typically put more onto his plate than onto mine. Then he goes and has a Dr. Pepper on top of it and maybe some chips or ice cream later! Lucky thin *kitten* (who I adore)! hehe

Oh, and he has a job like that too. He sit on his butt on 12 hour shifts just answering calls and email. He also works from home more than half the time. When he does go into the office he gets free food. Whatever he wants. I'll have like salad and a light chicken curry type dish with veggies and no starch and ask him what he had that day. "Oh fajitas and a chocolate milkshake" or "Chili with corn bread and a sandwich later" are typical responses. The man's metabolism is just NUTS! Naturally.

NO.

There are no naturally thin people. Take a careful look at calories in and calories out and things will add up.

Everybody's metabolism is the same.

Now, believe what you want. That's fine. But if you are overweight and using your metabolism as an excuse, well, then you should re-evaluate things.

I cannot prove it here, obviously, but like in the examples I explained above he definitely, absolutely eats far more calories than I do. And everyone does not have the same metabolism. Heredity, gender, weight, muscle mass, etc play a role. His is naturally higher. Just the way it is. It probably even gets a boosts from his Cerebral palsy, which forces some of his muscles to always be flexed, burning energy. Nevertheless he can sit in his chair, eat cookies and soda, and not gain weight. I could never do that!

could you measure the food for both of you then get back to us when you have some data to back your claim?

until then, I will keep suspecting you are falling prey to the same confirmation bias as any normal human not specifically applying the scientific method to solving a given problem. it also just so happens that statements like yours come very, very rarely from someone who has successfully gone from fat to fit.

Well, I just started here, but feel free to check out my food diary. On a typical week my husband will stay home every day (he goes two to three weeks at times without going into the office) and eat pretty much what I eat since I cook for both of use jsut about every day, only with portions around 1/4 to 1/2 more than mine (he is taller and man after all), plus I will drink mostly water and he will drink soda and chocolate milk and have extra snacks.

So just take my calories, add about 1/4 or so more, then add calories for, say, two sodas, and maybe a bowl of ice cream, plus a big glass of milk for good measure, and you will have a typical calorie day for him.

Though I will add that this is how I am eating NOW to lose weight. I gained weight because of a whole different situation, that he was in too, but he did not gain weight in that situation. I gained weight due to a few years of poverty, when we had literally no food for days at a time, and then FOOD BANK DAY would come around! Then we would go and be gifted with mac and cheese and so much peanut butter we could swim in. Lots ad lots of pasta and canned sauce, occasional bread that sometimes wasn't even moldy, and vegetables that were occasionally not half rotten! We were very grateful for it but it was a lot of high carb, high bad fat, high sodium, low nutrient foods. And since we had starved for days we would often have a HUGE plate of pasta or something and just inhale it. But the thing is, we BOTH did this. Ate the same things in the same amounts, again him getting a little bit more most of the time. and his weight hardly changed.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My husband is like a rail. He eats far more than me at each meal, drinks sugary sodas and coffee drinks regularly and snacks a lot. He is almost half my weight. We have been together over 5 years with this difference in our eating styles and he never gains weight. I would say he is one of those naturally thin people. They exist.
    Nothing you've written in this post (or subsequent posts) suggests that your husband is naturally thin . . . just that he has a higher TDEE than you and eats to meet that TDEE - not more, not less. If he did force himself to eat above that, he would gain weight.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    is there anybody who can eat a lot & still not gain weight?

Ah yes. The 'naturally' thin people as opposed to the unnaturally overweight people who bemoan putting on weight for living in denial about how many pies they have eaten.

"How can they eat that cake and still be thin?"

Because they don't do it all the time and/or burn off the calories somehow?....
  • AproMunro
    Options
    Nothing you've written in this post (or subsequent posts) suggests that your husband is naturally thin . . . just that he has a higher TDEE than you and eats to meet that TDEE - not more, not less. If he did force himself to eat above that, he would gain weight.

It seems we have a different opinion of what "naturally thin" means. Not just you but others here. Some people say "Oh he is not naturally thin, he just has a higher metabolism or TDEE" or whatever other factor. To me that means he has a natural tendency to be able to eat far more food than I do, and stay thin. To me, that means "naturally thin". I don't assume that he could stuff himself all day every day with lard and stay thin. Is this what some people think we mean by "naturally thin"? lol, no, I am sure there is a threshold when he would start to gain weight for sure!

What I really mean by naturally thin, is that he can eat all he wants, be it healthy food or junk food, and far FAR more than I do, and stay thin while I either gain or maintain.

He eats the same diet I do, only I give him a bit more to compensate for his height and gender and general high metabolism that I know he has. Yet he eats a lot of junk food on top of that. His weight, despite this always remains between 150 to 165. It does fluctuate, but he never gains a large amount of weight despite his eating junk food to his hearts content on a regular basis. And by "hearts content" I do not mean he gorges himself. I only mean that he eats far more than I do, even taking into account the extra food he gets at meals, and it is usually junk food, without taking any consideration of how much he is eating and only stopping when it is gone or he is nice and full and sluggish. To me, this means "naturally thin".

Some people here seem to be kind of angry that some people simply do have an easier time staying thin. It is not a fat person's excuse (all the time). It is just that some people have this lucky trait. I don't bemoan or hold it against them. And I am certainly not in any kind of denial about how I put on weight. I ate far too much starchy foods for years. It was not always my fault, as I have explained, but the last year and 15 pounds certainly were. Because at that point we were ok financially again, but I missed awesome food and just let myself have everything I wanted. My husband did the same but he did not gain weight. Good for him! lol.

Some people's bodies just store fat more readily for a wide variety of reasons. Not matter how you feel about it, it is true. Maybe we can change the term "naturally thin" to "easily thin". Would that be more clear? Would the fat blaming sarcasm be less necessary if we changed the term?
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

Ah yes. The 'naturally' thin people as opposed to the unnaturally overweight people who bemoan putting on weight for living in denial about how many pies they have eaten.

Well, I'm in bed with a broken shoulder and not burning calories, yet still weigh 100 pounds. I'm naturally thin.
    * I've been kicked off many studies at USF for being so.
  • eldamiano
    Options

Well, I'm in bed with a broken shoulder and not burning calories, yet still weigh 100 pounds. I'm naturally thin.

Ridiculous comment. Completely irrelevant. Or were you born a fatty? (still irrelevant to be honest)
  • in_the_stars
    Options

Ridiculous comment. Completely irrelevant. Or were you born a fatty? (still irrelevant to be honest)

Nope. Been thin all my life.
  • eldamiano
    Options

Very well done then.

Well don't let being stuck in bed stop you. Over the next few month, just feed yourself a diet of some huge burgers, hot dogs, pizzas and ice cream for good measure just to see if you can defy science....
  • in_the_stars
    Options

Very well done then.

Well don't let being stuck in bed stop you. Over the next few month, just feed yourself a diet of some huge burgers, hot dogs, pizzas and ice cream for good measure just to see if you can defy science....

I already have, 99 pounds averaging 2500 calories a day without exercise for 6 months straight. ;)
    Ask Acg if you don't believe me, or Alan Aragon.
  • eldamiano
    Options

Very well done then.

I already have, 99 pounds averaging 2500 calories a day without exercise for 6 months straight. ;)

Hold on. I thought I was the one taking the p155. You had me there.
  • in_the_stars
    Options

Very well done then.

Hold on. I thought I was the one taking the p155. You had me there.

Ohhh, I'm quite serious. It's hard for me to gain weight or muscle. No health problems, I just don't gain easily.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Yes "naturally thin" does seem to exist, despite the best amateur scientist calculations of activity and intake. :) Some people refer to it as having a "body set point" of a lower weight too, and as far as I've seen we aren't really sure why some people's bodies react like this. And I've also seen if they are identified in a study, they tend to be taken out of it, or labeled as cheaters and taken out. Even the great starvation experiment some were labeled as cheaters that they could never figure out how they were actually cheating, but if a doctor suspected, they were "out".

Yes many are wrongly labeled "naturally thin" by people not realizing they dont eat like this other times, or they have a huge activity level not seen by others, etc, its also part of jealousy, large people seeing some eating the same things and not fat: easy excuse is they are "naturally thin". But there are some real unexplained by pure "calories in calories out" formulas, "naturally thin" people.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Most of the calories you burn have nothing to do with exercise. You burn them while lying in bed, just by virtue of being alive.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    If I eat more, move less I will gain weight. If I eat less, move more I will lose. If I do everything at maintenance level I stay steady.

That works for me without problems and that may be what naturally thin means. It means that I do things that way and it works for me.

Other people talk about having problems with weight gain and plateaus. I can't comment on the causes and reasons because it's not happened to me.

So, maybe naturally thin just means without problems that get in the way of the basic eat less, move more.

Also because I have a very small bone structure it means that I am healthy at a lower weight. And that is also an aspect of the meaning of naturally thin. Still if I eat more, move less I will gain.

I don't know how much I would need to eat and how little I would need to move to gain a lot because I am personally averse to weight gain in myself, so I have always managed and prevented that from happening more than 5 or 10 pounds and I never allowed that to happen at a fast rate (except I obviously gained more during pregnancy and then lost it afterwards). It would be a slow process to gain and I would take action before it went any higher. This is just how I feel about my own body and does not influence how I feel about other people's bodies. And I measure it by how I look (not the actual scale).

I am also an energetic, active person.

I also know that if I were not counting calories that some days I would eat 3000 calories and other days I would eat 1500. To eat 1500 all the time would not be sustainable. To eat 3000 all the time would also not be sustainable. In the end it all works out to maintenance. But, if you just measured one day, you may think I eat 3000 calories a day. In reality I eat 1850 to 2200.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    There is a downside to being naturally thin. You have to worry about becoming skinny fat...
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, basically all "naturally thin" people are just not overeating calories vs what they burn.

Yup. My husband needs to eat 2000 cals daily to gain, I need 1600 to lose. I have trouble keeping within my limits, whereas he struggles to eat 1600 most days. He just doesn't eat that much.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    There is a downside to being naturally thin. You have to worry about becoming skinny fat...

Like if you don't exercise and lift weights because you rely on just being slim? Personally I measure my fitness by what I see and feel, not by clothing size or scale weight alone. So, being skinny fat is not a risk for me, the same as being over weight isn't. Because I manage it to prevent both.
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options
    I know personally it is incredibly hard for me to gain weight.
  • in_the_stars
    Options
    Yes "naturally thin" does seem to exist, despite the best amateur scientist calculations of activity and intake. :) Some people refer to it as having a "body set point" of a lower weight too, and as far as I've seen we aren't really sure why some people's bodies react like this. And I've also seen if they are identified in a study, they tend to be taken out of it, or labeled as cheaters and taken out. Even the great starvation experiment some were labeled as cheaters that they could never figure out how they were actually cheating, but if a doctor suspected, they were "out".

Yes many are wrongly labeled "naturally thin" by people not realizing they dont eat like this other times, or they have a huge activity level not seen by others, etc, its also part of jealousy, large people seeing some eating the same things and not fat: easy excuse is they are "naturally thin". But there are some real unexplained by pure "calories in calories out" formulas, "naturally thin" people.

yes, so many times I no longer "fit the criteria" and was removed from studies. No real reason other than who was funding it.