naturally thin people

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    My older son and I might have been considered "naturally thin" for a little while, anyway.
    We continued to grow after high school. I stopped growing at about 20 and him at about 21.
    I'm thinking that we were probably able to eat more than other people our age because we were still growing, but I could be wrong.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with the posters that brought up the fact that you don''t know how these "naturally thin" people eat when you are not around.

I am not super thin, but I have never been overweight, and most people think I eat way more than I really do. I am not a big fan of food in general, so my meals tend to be very small and not totally consistent. I would say that on a normal day at home, I eat about 1300-1500 calories, though it ranges from 600-2000 depending on the day.

I do have a huge sweet tooth, though. I don't keep sweets in the house, because I know I will eat way too much if I do. When I am out somewhere and there are cookies or treats served, I will eat at least 2 or 3 times more than anyone else. But that is probably less than once a month. The thing is, that's all people see, and they probably think I am bingeing on sweets on a daily basis and just have a crazy metabolism.

I also live in a very walkable city, and walk probably a few miles a day at least, during the 8 or 9 months that it's not freezing outside. And because of my ADHD, I am always fidgeting and squirming, which adds up to a surprisingly high number of calories when it's 16 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I also don't drink alcohol at home, but if I go out clubbing I will have 3 or 4 drinks. I only go out once a month or so, so my total alcohol intake averages less than one per week, but I think a lot of people think I am an alcoholic, because I only run into them when I am at the bar. They don't see me at home or in restaurants drinking club soda.

They see: Eats 6 cookies, downs 4 drinks and eats 2 slices of pizza and a piece of cake after drinks ( maybe 10-15 times a year)

They don't see: Protein smoothie for breakfast; small lunch and dinner eaten from side plates, drinking water or club soda with meals ( the other 350 days)
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My husband eats 5000 calories a day and should eat more since he is trying to gain muscle. He has never been anywhere near the overweight category. He has always been a big eater, but he has also had the activity level needed so that he is still not over eating. When his activity level goes down he naturally eats less. I thought it was his "high metabolism" but really he is just active and he eats according to his activity levels.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Yes typically they are the ones with faster metabolism and it could be that they eat less, but genetics definitely takes play.
    Also keep in mind that is not always healthy or good because those that dont exercise have a lot of visceral (inner body) fat that you cannot visibly see.

Sorry.

Fat and thin are not genetically determined, though a lot of people would like to think so.

Metabolism is metabolism, and it has evolved over 600 MILLION years and yours is just like mine.

I disagree. There's plenty of evidence that where our ancestors came from, how they adapted to manage their environment and where we live today have a significant impact on our health.

* and 600 million? In the right circumstances,heavy evolutionary pressure can breed a trait into - or out of - a poulation's gene pool in just a generation or two.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    From my knowledge of genetics, I think it entirely plausible that it may play a component in one's LBM. For instance, some women naturally produce more testosterone than others, which would lead them to carry more LBM and be able to build more easily with exercise raising their BMR. However, this does NOT mean that their metabolism itself functions any differently , it just means they burn more calories at rest than someone with less LBM.
  • AproMunro
    Options
    My husband is like a rail. He eats far more than me at each meal, drinks sugary sodas and coffee drinks regularly and snacks a lot. He is almost half my weight. We have been together over 5 years with this difference in our eating styles and he never gains weight. I would say he is one of those naturally thin people. They exist.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Yes typically they are the ones with faster metabolism and it could be that they eat less, but genetics definitely takes play.
    Also keep in mind that is not always healthy or good because those that dont exercise have a lot of visceral (inner body) fat that you cannot visibly see.

Sorry.

Fat and thin are not genetically determined, though a lot of people would like to think so.

Metabolism is metabolism, and it has evolved over 600 MILLION years and yours is just like mine.

I disagree. There's plenty of evidence that where our ancestors came from, how they adapted to manage their environment and where we live today have a significant impact on our health.

You are actually agreeing with that poster.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    My husband is like a rail. He eats far more than me at each meal, drinks sugary sodas and coffee drinks regularly and snacks a lot. He is almost half my weight. We have been together over 5 years with this difference in our eating styles and he never gains weight. I would say he is one of those naturally thin people. They exist.

He obviously has a much higher basal metabolic rate than you do, and eats to fuel it. He is probably more active than you as well (and not just in the traditional 'works out' kind of way).

If you ate only what you needed to fuel your metabolism, it would be much much less than what he needs. It doesn't mean that he is any more 'naturally' thin than you are.

It may seem unfair, but it really is just calories in and calories out.
  • ashumeow
    ashumeow Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I gain weight sometimes, but my size don't increase that easily. (^_^) I don't know what do you call those people as! =P
  • wardances
    Options

I wholeheartedly agree with this. My husband is 6ft 1in and 160 pounds. A weekly diet for him consists of up to seven soda pops, four or five bags of candy, a bag of peanuts, a gallon of whole milk with added chocolate syrup, and food-wise he eats huge helpings of pasta, half a pizza, hot dogs/pigs in a blanket, chips galore, and other similar foods. The ONLY vegetable he eats is corn but that is VERY rare. He's been eating like this the entire 3 1/2 years we've been together. Excluding the past nine months, his job has been to sit on his butt up to ten hours a day just answering calls. He works hard labor now but, still, I don't understand how he does this without gaining weight.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

I wholeheartedly agree with this. My husband is 6ft 1in and 160 pounds. A weekly diet for him consists of up to seven soda pops, four or five bags of candy, a bag of peanuts, a gallon of whole milk with added chocolate syrup, and food-wise he eats huge helpings of pasta, half a pizza, hot dogs/pigs in a blanket, chips galore, and other similar foods. The ONLY vegetable he eats is corn but that is VERY rare. He's been eating like this the entire 3 1/2 years we've been together. Excluding the past nine months, his job has been to sit on his butt up to ten hours a day just answering calls. He works hard labor now but, still, I don't understand how he does this without gaining weight.

You answered your own question. He works hard labor and burns an enormous number of calories during the day. While he worked an office job, were you able to track everything he ate at work as well as at home? Doubtfully. If the man doesn't gain weight, he is not in a calorie surplus despite what you see him eating or assume he is eating when you are not with him. That's all.
  • AproMunro
    Options

He obviously has a much higher basal metabolic rate than you do, and eats to fuel it. He is probably more active than you as well (and not just in the traditional 'works out' kind of way).

If you ate only what you needed to fuel your metabolism, it would be much much less than what he needs. It doesn't mean that he is any more 'naturally' thin than you are.

It may seem unfair, but it really is just calories in and calories out.

He is FAR more sedentary than I am. We are both sedentary. Me because of knee injuries that have failed to heel in three years, and he because he has a mild case of cerebral palsy and is also just simply VERY lazy! lol. If I did not force him to stand up and at least stretch a few time s a day he would just sit in his char at his computer all day every day. But I at least walk when shopping and doing errands. I do as much housework as my body allows and do simple exercises like leg lifts and stuff.

But what you said about his metabolic rate is spot on! That is probably a large part of the discrepancy. He really does eat a TON more than I and is lazier, yet thin! Naturally! His metabolic rate is naturally higher, probably due to his having very lucky very natural awesome high metabolic programming genetics! haha
  • AproMunro
    Options

Haha Girl you just described my husband to a T, even his weight and height! Only I do make most of his meals and make sure he eats healthy foods, but I do typically put more onto his plate than onto mine. Then he goes and has a Dr. Pepper on top of it and maybe some chips or ice cream later! Lucky thin *kitten* (who I adore)! hehe

Oh, and he has a job like that too. He sit on his butt on 12 hour shifts just answering calls and email. He also works from home more than half the time. When he does go into the office he gets free food. Whatever he wants. I'll have like salad and a light chicken curry type dish with veggies and no starch and ask him what he had that day. "Oh fajitas and a chocolate milkshake" or "Chili with corn bread and a sandwich later" are typical responses. The man's metabolism is just NUTS! Naturally.
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    @AproMunro, so you're saying that your husband has magic metabolism? Just like how some people can earn so much more money than others who work just as hard, all else being equal? And just like how some can win the lottery the first time they buy a ticket, while others who have been buying tickets throughout their lives never hit the jackpot?

I dunno. Sure wish I was one of them though :)
  • AproMunro
    Options
    @AproMunro, so you're saying that your husband has magic metabolism? Just like how some people can earn so much more money than others who work just as hard, all else being equal? And just like how some can win the lottery the first time they buy a ticket, while others who have been buying tickets throughout their lives never hit the jackpot?

I dunno. Sure wish I was one of them though :)

TRULY magic? No. LIKE magic? Seems so. It just obviously works on a higher level than mine does. It is simply one of those factors that can make people appear to be naturally thin. He is also always REALLY hot. So that is definitely a sign that his body is just cooking up whatever he puts into it.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Certainly not me ! maybe cause I am a shorty and have ITALIAN BLOOD IN ME ! lol
  • AproMunro
    Options

Haha Girl you just described my husband to a T, even his weight and height! Only I do make most of his meals and make sure he eats healthy foods, but I do typically put more onto his plate than onto mine. Then he goes and has a Dr. Pepper on top of it and maybe some chips or ice cream later! Lucky thin *kitten* (who I adore)! hehe

Oh, and he has a job like that too. He sit on his butt on 12 hour shifts just answering calls and email. He also works from home more than half the time. When he does go into the office he gets free food. Whatever he wants. I'll have like salad and a light chicken curry type dish with veggies and no starch and ask him what he had that day. "Oh fajitas and a chocolate milkshake" or "Chili with corn bread and a sandwich later" are typical responses. The man's metabolism is just NUTS! Naturally.

NO.

There are no naturally thin people. Take a careful look at calories in and calories out and things will add up.

Everybody's metabolism is the same.

Now, believe what you want. That's fine. But if you are overweight and using your metabolism as an excuse, well, then you should re-evaluate things.

I cannot prove it here, obviously, but like in the examples I explained above he definitely, absolutely eats far more calories than I do. And everyone does not have the same metabolism. Heredity, gender, weight, muscle mass, etc play a role. His is naturally higher. Just the way it is. It probably even gets a boosts from his Cerebral palsy, which forces some of his muscles to always be flexed, burning energy. Nevertheless he can sit in his chair, eat cookies and soda, and not gain weight. I could never do that!
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

NO.

There are no naturally thin people. Take a careful look at calories in and calories out and things will add up.

Everybody's metabolism is the same.

Now, believe what you want. That's fine. But if you are overweight and using your metabolism as an excuse, well, then you should re-evaluate things.

I cannot prove it here, obviously, but like in the examples I explained above he definitely, absolutely eats far more calories than I do. And everyone does not have the same metabolism. Heredity, gender, weight, muscle mass, etc play a role. His is naturally higher. Just the way it is. It probably even gets a boosts from his Cerebral palsy, which forces some of his muscles to always be flexed, burning energy. Nevertheless he can sit in his chair, eat cookies and soda, and not gain weight. I could never do that!

could you measure the food for both of you then get back to us when you have some data to back your claim?

until then, I will keep suspecting you are falling prey to the same confirmation bias as any normal human not specifically applying the scientific method to solving a given problem. it also just so happens that statements like yours come very, very rarely from someone who has successfully gone from fat to fit.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I'd do anything to be that kinda person...
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'd do anything to be that kinda person...

Nah, you only need to control cals in and cals out. What's the point of being a person who can eat all they want and never gain weight?

I'd rather be someone who wins the lottery the first time round, lol!

But back to @AproMunro's hubby, the cerebral palsy could be an explanation:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/8557940/
    CONCLUSIONS: The increased energy requirements of adults with cerebral palsy can be partially explained by athetotic movements. In this sample, the presence of athetosis increased RMR by an average of 524 kcal/day.