Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Brb, moving to Mexico.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I bring my babies to work because I can. If they would babysit here I would do it daily, free vs 150.00 a week.... which deal is better :wink:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. In my prior job, I was the Chief Financial Officer for a medical practice; therefore, I established appropriate policy. One such policy was that employees were not allowed to bring their children to work with them. From a liability standpoint, it is a disaster waiting to happen, and generally patients should not be expected to tolerate the disruption when they are sick. How can a medical assistant or a nurse pay full attention to a patient when the child is making demands? Also, why would anyone want their child exposed to the germs in a medical office, and if the child is sick, why would a competent medical practitioner wish to expose their patient to the child's germs?

Unfortunately, in my case, the nurse practitioner (who, by the way, was dating the Doctor) thought it was a wonderful idea. Needless to say, I had a difficult time enforcing policy. Go figure.
    Good grief. I don't envy you trying to keep *that* practice in the black!
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Child care in Mexico is $20 USD an HOUR.

Yeah.

And the waiters make $6 a DAY.

Go figure how that one works.

I also worked as a waitress and I made about 2.50 an hour. We were paid less than minimum wage because the salary was just a technicality. The tips are the income of a waiter.

$2.50 an hour is a heck of a lot more than $6 a day.

And they only get their tips if it's paid in cash and not on a card. If it's on a card it gets distributed to everyone who works there and they only get a small amount.

Oh right!! I missed that and was thinking you said $6 an hour. Wow!! I am sick right now and feel like I am floating underwater. :laugh:

And yeah, I only worked 8 to 12 hour shifts, never less than that.

We usually had to distribute out a portion of our tips as well. But, all of these things vary from place to place.

:laugh:

Gotcha.

Now when people pay you in cash does that go right into your pocket?

We know to tip in cash when we go to Mexico and all the waiters and bartenders know my husband by name because of it. It's kind of funny.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I see. I used to work with kids also and it paid very low. So, there were many other jobs that paid better. I did it because I enjoyed it. I just didn't understand. It's a question that gets asked. When I graduated from college with a degree in dance and was dancing, but still needed a second job, I was interviewed for a position in human resources at an investment banking firm and they asked me directly, "If you have a degree in dance, why do you want to work here?" And if I had said, "For the money", I would not have gotten the job.

Child care in Hawaii pays absurdly well. When I put in full time hours I make dangerously close, biweekly, to what my husband makes in the Navy as an E-6.

In interviews I just say childcare is something I'm naturally adept at and let my references handle the rest.

I see. I made 6 dollars an hour, and it only worked for me because it was a second job at the time. And I only did it because I loved babies and toddlers. :wink:

I assume that was before minimum wage was 7.25 though. :wink:

I'm pretty solidly into the double digit numbers per hour. People pay all kinds of money for certified people to watch their kids. O wouldn't do it if I made 8 dollars or something.

Remember folks, community college has its uses.

Yeah, minimum wage was 5.25.

I think you were getting shafted.

Or perhaps I am remembering incorrectly to be honest, it was a very long time ago. But, really I only worked the job because I wanted to. And it was only for a few months (at that place).
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Meh, I'm not marginalized. I live in an area that has one of the largest atheist populations in the US (lowest church attendance rate, per capita, too). I have some friends and family who are uber-religious, some who are atheists. We get along fine. But, I know I live in a bubble and not all of the US is like this.

The being fat thing is interesting. People were never rude to me (again, I don't live in that kind of area), but I can say that they are nicer to me now that I've dropped a chunk of weight. However, I do know that it happens to others and that people can be cruel.

So, yeah, I'm not marginalized for either, but I know there are those who are. So, results may vary.

I think it's somewhat mitigated by the fact that you're awesome, too. :drinker:

One of my churchiest classmates still thinks I'm a badass. She wants me to throw her! :laugh:

:flowerforyou:

At one point I had an all night conversation with a friend of mine who belongs to the Church of Latter Day Saints. We were working on the set for a play. Anyway, we talked about religion in a more open way then I had before, and left with a better understanding of each other's religious beliefs and whys. Honestly, we laughed the entire night through. I've had heartwrenching discussions with my mother, who is a fundamentalist. I feel for her, she worries that I'll spend eternity in damnation. That can't be fun to think about your daughter. But, I can't lie to her to make her feel better, either. Anyway, it's a tough one, but it doesn't mean that it has to impact relationships and friendships.

I bet you could throw your classmate! I lifted my BIL yesterday, skinny thing that he is. He thought it was hilarious.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Brb, moving to Mexico.

I told my husband that I may not like kids but if we ever moved to Mexico I know what I'm doing for a living.

Honestly I don't know how they afford things here when the prices are so high and they make so little.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Child care in Mexico is $20 USD an HOUR.

Yeah.

And the waiters make $6 a DAY.

Go figure how that one works.

I also worked as a waitress and I made about 2.50 an hour. We were paid less than minimum wage because the salary was just a technicality. The tips are the income of a waiter.

$2.50 an hour is a heck of a lot more than $6 a day.

And they only get their tips if it's paid in cash and not on a card. If it's on a card it gets distributed to everyone who works there and they only get a small amount.

Oh right!! I missed that and was thinking you said $6 an hour. Wow!! I am sick right now and feel like I am floating underwater. :laugh:

And yeah, I only worked 8 to 12 hour shifts, never less than that.

We usually had to distribute out a portion of our tips as well. But, all of these things vary from place to place.

Gotcha.

Now when people pay you in cash does that go right into your pocket?

We know to tip in cash when we go to Mexico and all the waiters and bartenders know my husband by name because of it. It's kind of funny.

Even in cash you need to hand it out, if that is the policy at that place. But, actually where I worked I didn't need to hand it out because I did the job of the people that it would usually be divided up with (they didn't have separate people doing different jobs because it was not needed). I just know from other people telling me it is the usual way that it is. So, when I said we usually, I just meant that's usually the way it was (when I was looking around for another job at the time).
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. In my prior job, I was the Chief Financial Officer for a medical practice; therefore, I established appropriate policy. One such policy was that employees were not allowed to bring their children to work with them. From a liability standpoint, it is a disaster waiting to happen, and generally patients should not be expected to tolerate the disruption when they are sick. How can a medical assistant or a nurse pay full attention to a patient when the child is making demands? Also, why would anyone want their child exposed to the germs in a medical office, and if the child is sick, why would a competent medical practitioner wish to expose their patient to the child's germs?

Unfortunately, in my case, the nurse practitioner (who, by the way, was dating the Doctor) thought it was a wonderful idea. Needless to say, I had a difficult time enforcing policy. Go figure.

This is disturbing and I agree with that policy, especially in that environment.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Even in cash you need to hand it out, if that is the policy at that place.
    Assuming they see it. Every day would be a bad day for tips.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I thank the gods each and every day that I am the BOSS. I like making the rules. Well behaved children are allowed. If our clients can bring them - and they do, why not our staff. I rather have you and your kid at work than have you stay home. And that goes quadruple for my secretary. Give them some crayons, paper and some candy and put them in a meeting room and get thyself to work.

And of course, I bring mine too. But you knew that was coming...
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have brought my son Jake to work once. I was asked to come in on my day off to do a massage ( so it was only like a little over an hour) and the gal working the desk loves kids and enjoyed having him there. He was four at the time and is well behaved. I work in a resort so when it's slow we will stop by sometimes and visit on our way to the water park or arcade,so my co- workers know him and he gets to see what I do.
    I never looked at it as showing off a trophy though,glad I am seeing another perspective. He is in a lot of my avi pics,but like my abs I am very proud of him.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I, personally, hated being a child so I'm not sure what the fact I was once a child has to do with anything. I was small, weak, not permitted to make my own choices, and occasionally shown off like I was a trophey for my mom to take about. It isn't something I look back on fondly or with longing.

And I hate tons of people for all manner of reasons. Kids are actually one of the more reasonable things I dislike.
    Sounds like we actually have much in common then, my dear.

people use that line on me "You were a kid once"

yeah- and I was expensive smelly stinky loud and annoying too I'm sure"

That's pretty on point.
    Again, it's almost like strongly expressing my preference not to be around kids is seen as a personal attack on some of these people. I don't get it.

This is pretty on point to- I really dislike that people expect me to love their kids as much as they do. very annoying.
    One thing is not to be happy with children in a work environment, although many companies encourage parents to bring their offspring to work sometimes, but to call them crumb snatchers and germ machines is insulting and appalling.
    I am happy that many of them decided not to procreate. Just to think that they would teach hate to their offspring brings tears to my eyes.
    meh. there are plenty of people ruining kids lives- they don't need me. I've been told I'd make an excellent parent if I could get past that whole kid thing... but nope. Kids are icky.
    Dogs and cats don't need to be supervised... and a lot of places do allow employees to bring their pets in from time to time. I have had 2 teachers bring pets to class on several occasions and my friend brings her dog to work every Friday. My boss brings his dog to our work every so often.

incorrect- pets need supervision as well. Also not appropriate at the work place.
    The employee calls in because they have nobody who can sub for the sitter. Do you let an important project sit when potentially important clients NEED it done that day, or have them bring their kids in to work? If nobody else could do this persons job, it makes sense to deal with some crying for a few days.
    I work for the government- there is very little that that situation applies to. This is not the private industry.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Just for the record, as a parent, I definitely don't expect other people to like my kids as much as I do. I think a lot of parents understand not to expect that.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Dogs and cats don't need to be supervised... and a lot of places do allow employees to bring their pets in from time to time. I have had 2 teachers bring pets to class on several occasions and my friend brings her dog to work every Friday. My boss brings his dog to our work every so often.

incorrect- pets need supervision as well. Also not appropriate at the work place.
    I never said pets were appropriate in the work place. I don't think that they are. But he said pets aren't allowed, so why children. I explained that pets ARE allowed in some places, regardless of whether or not it is appropriate. And I have never heard of somebody getting a babysitter for their pets while they are at work. A dog walker if the person works long hours, sure... but to just BE there to supervise? gtfo...
    The employee calls in because they have nobody who can sub for the sitter. Do you let an important project sit when potentially important clients NEED it done that day, or have them bring their kids in to work? If nobody else could do this persons job, it makes sense to deal with some crying for a few days.
    I work for the government- there is very little that that situation applies to. This is not the private industry.
    there is very little that that situation applies to.

If you paid attention to what I said, I admitted that I am unfamiliar with his work situation. For all I know he works with flamethrowers and cocaine. Under no circumstances should a child be around flamethrowers and cocaine. I did not imply that it is always okay to bring your kids to work. The reason I said "extenuating circumstances" is because I agree that in most cases it is inappropriate. It isn't an ideal situation and I don't think children necessarily belong in the work place, but sometimes **** happens and in that case, yes... it becomes necessary to bring a child to work.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Just for the record, as a parent, I definitely don't expect other people to like my kids as much as I do. I think a lot of parents understand not to expect that.

You'd be surprised.
  • Achrya
    Options

I never said pets were appropriate in the work place. I don't think that they are. But he said pets aren't allowed, so why children. I explained that pets ARE allowed in some places, regardless of whether or not it is appropriate. And I have never heard of somebody getting a babysitter for their pets while they are at work. A dog walker if the person works long hours, sure... but to just BE there to supervise? gtfo...

If you paid attention to what I said, I admitted that I am unfamiliar with his work situation. For all I know he works with flamethrowers and cocaine. Under no circumstances should a child be around flamethrowers and cocaine. I did not imply that it is always okay to bring your kids to work. The reason I said "extenuating circumstances" is because I agree that in most cases it is inappropriate. It isn't an ideal situation and I don't think children necessarily belong in the work place, but sometimes **** happens and in that case, yes... it becomes necessary to bring a child to work.

You keep saying he, but Jo is A. A female and B. The original poster and thus is responding to a post you made responding to her questions.

She posted this thread. You responded. She responded to your response, but you seem unaware that you're speaking to the same person.

Awkward.
  • Achrya
    Options

If I had a dollar for every "well you can't mean my kid, you'd love my kid, everyone loves them! The sun/god/goddess/Thor truly shone upon my vayjayjay/diq the day they were conceived!" I wouldn't need to work.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

If I had a dollar for every "well you can't mean my kid, you'd love my kid, everyone loves them! The sun/god/goddess/Thor truly shone upon my vayjayjay/diq the day they were conceived!" I wouldn't need to work.

i-just-used-this-gif-in-another-comment-but-its-too-perfect-here-again-328444.gif
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options

You keep saying he, but Jo is A. A female and B. The original poster and thus is responding to a post you made responding to her questions.

She posted this thread. You responded. She responded to your response, but you seem unaware that you're speaking to the same person.

Awkward.

Very awkward. :embarassed:
    I read two rants back to back... one was posted by a guy... Not this one, :indifferent:

Sorry, Jo!