Babies in the Work Place

Options

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Just remember that this is a thread full of responses, so just because someone says something does not mean they are talking to you (or about you) personally. They may be talking about something else entirely. Also, there could be misunderstandings, just as on any other topic (from all sides of the issue).

I don't think that there is much misunderstanding. It is very clear that there are a bunch of people in this threat that plain and simple don't hesitate to express their hate for children.
    One thing is not to be happy with children in a work environment, although many companies encourage parents to bring their offspring to work sometimes, but to call them crumb snatchers and germ machines is insulting and appalling.
    I am happy that many of them decided not to procreate. Just to think that they would teach hate to their offspring brings tears to my eyes.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Just remember that this is a thread full of responses, so just because someone says something does not mean they are talking to you (or about you) personally. They may be talking about something else entirely. Also, there could be misunderstandings, just as on any other topic (from all sides of the issue).

I don't think that there is much misunderstanding. It is very clear that there are a bunch of people in this threat that plain and simple don't hesitate to express their hate for children.
    One thing is not to be happy with children in a work environment, although many companies encourage parents to bring their offspring to work sometimes, but to call them crumb snatchers and germ machines is insulting and appalling.
    I am happy that many of them decided not to procreate. Just to think that they would teach hate to their offspring brings tears to my eyes.

How do you know if one of those who stated they don't like children would teach that child hate if they were to suddenly change their minds and decide to have one? People change, circumstances change. As I stated earlier there was a time in my life where I wanted children and then I met my husband and my life changed in a way where children really aren't something I want any longer. And no, I don't particularly like them either but it doesn't mean that I would ever teach a child hate.

That's a broad statement that is so very, very wrong.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I see. I used to work with kids also and it paid very low. So, there were many other jobs that paid better. I did it because I enjoyed it. I just didn't understand. It's a question that gets asked. When I graduated from college with a degree in dance and was dancing, but still needed a second job, I was interviewed for a position in human resources at an investment banking firm and they asked me directly, "If you have a degree in dance, why do you want to work here?" And if I had said, "For the money", I would not have gotten the job.

Child care in Hawaii pays absurdly well. When I put in full time hours I make dangerously close, biweekly, to what my husband makes in the Navy as an E-6.

In interviews I just say childcare is something I'm naturally adept at and let my references handle the rest.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    are kidding me when i still worked we LOVED it when co workers brought their babies and small children in we kept sweets on hand for just that:bigsmile:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    You don't have to like kids because you were a kid once, but you should be understanding that kids are not miniature grown ups and sometimes they misbehave in public.

I get that kids "misbehave" in public but in my view it's because the parents have them up waaaaaay past their bedtime or they are up during their map time. I've seen these kids. They're cranky and trudging around behind their parents rubbing their tired eyes and crying because they just want to go to sleep.

Or they're bringing them into situations where they know fully well they're not going to behave. I'm sorry but why should I have to put up with your screaming infant in a nice restaurant when you probably should have either gotten a baby sitter or stayed home?

Why are those people who don't like kids pariahs because of this view? There are plenty of people out there popping out the kids left and right who shouldn't have them. Be thankful for those who know that they don't want them.

And people this is why kids these days don't know a thing about Geography!
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    You don't have to like kids because you were a kid once, but you should be understanding that kids are not miniature grown ups and sometimes they misbehave in public.

I get that kids "misbehave" in public but in my view it's because the parents have them up waaaaaay past their bedtime or they are up during their map time. I've seen these kids. They're cranky and trudging around behind their parents rubbing their tired eyes and crying because they just want to go to sleep.

Or they're bringing them into situations where they know fully well they're not going to behave. I'm sorry but why should I have to put up with your screaming infant in a nice restaurant when you probably should have either gotten a baby sitter or stayed home?

Why are those people who don't like kids pariahs because of this view? There are plenty of people out there popping out the kids left and right who shouldn't have them. Be thankful for those who know that they don't want them.

And people this is why kids these days don't know a thing about Geography!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You try to make a point and it's ruined by hitting one wrong key!

:grumble:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I see. I used to work with kids also and it paid very low. So, there were many other jobs that paid better. I did it because I enjoyed it. I just didn't understand. It's a question that gets asked. When I graduated from college with a degree in dance and was dancing, but still needed a second job, I was interviewed for a position in human resources at an investment banking firm and they asked me directly, "If you have a degree in dance, why do you want to work here?" And if I had said, "For the money", I would not have gotten the job.

Child care in Hawaii pays absurdly well. When I put in full time hours I make dangerously close, biweekly, to what my husband makes in the Navy as an E-6.

In interviews I just say childcare is something I'm naturally adept at and let my references handle the rest.

I see. I made 6 dollars an hour, and it only worked for me because it was a second job at the time. And I only did it because I loved babies and toddlers (it would not have been worth it for the pay). :wink:
  • Achrya
    Options
    are kidding me when i still worked we LOVED it when co workers brought their babies and small children in we kept sweets on hand for just that:bigsmile:

This is why kids are obese!

No, I kid I kid
  • Achrya
    Options

I see. I made 6 dollars an hour, and it only worked for me because it was a second job at the time. And I only did it because I loved babies and toddlers. :wink:

I assume that was before minimum wage was 7.25 though. :wink:

I'm pretty solidly into the double digit numbers per hour. People pay all kinds of money for certified people to watch their kids. O wouldn't do it if I made 8 dollars or something.

Remember folks, community college has its uses.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I see. I made 6 dollars an hour, and it only worked for me because it was a second job at the time. And I only did it because I loved babies and toddlers. :wink:

I'm pretty solidly into the double digit numbers per hour. People pay all kinds of money for certified people to watch their kids. O wouldn't do it if I made 8 dollars or something.

Yeah, minimum wage was 5.25.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Child care in Mexico is $20 USD an HOUR.

Yeah.

And the waiters make $6 a DAY.

Go figure how that one works.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

I"m only half following this thread. You have my permission to give parents in these situations dirty looks. But not to parents who are say, on an airplane flying to LA (Disneyland), especially when their kids aren't really misbehaving but are just being kids and it's obvious that the parent is trying to keep them from disturbing people.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Yeah.

I also worked as a waitress and I made about 2.50 an hour. We were paid less than minimum wage because the salary was just a technicality. The tips are the income of a waiter.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me why they feel it's acceptable to bring these nasty germ machines to the work place?
    Granted I don't know your work situation, but in extenuating circumstances it is absolutely acceptable and sometimes necessary. Imagine you're the boss and you NEED a certain employee in that day to get something finished... but their babysitter phoned them that morning to say they have the flu and are closed for the next couple of days. The employee calls in because they have nobody who can sub for the sitter. Do you let an important project sit when potentially important clients NEED it done that day, or have them bring their kids in to work? If nobody else could do this persons job, it makes sense to deal with some crying for a few days.
    I can't bring my dog or cat in to work... why are they allowed to bring their crumb snatchers?
    Dogs and cats don't need to be supervised... and a lot of places do allow employees to bring their pets in from time to time. I have had 2 teachers bring pets to class on several occasions and my friend brings her dog to work every Friday. My boss brings his dog to our work every so often.
    I've never understood- even from a parents perspective why you would want to explose your child to so many strangers... and why you would want to expose complete random strangers to the potentially highly disruptive behavior of said child.
    It is an excellent idea to expose your children to as many strangers as possible. Socialization from an early age helps children grow up to be confident, outgoing and well-adjusted adults. Children should never be taught not to talk to all strangers, contrary to many parents' opinions. Don't give out personal information or go anywhere with strangers, sure. But saying hello in passing or holding a conversation in line at the grocery store isn't dangerous.
    To be honest- seen and not heard- well actually not seen and not heard for me is perfect- but if I can't hear it- whatever fine- but 9/10 that's just not the case.
    You clearly aren't the type of person who likes kids very much (if at all) so I can see why you have this opinion; however, I hope you realize that life happens and people have children. Sometimes those children's caretakers are unavailable and they will just have to accompany the parent to work, much to your (and probably many others') dismay.
    Annoying- and wildly inappropriate to me- Grateful I don't have to deal with it that often- but still WHY.

EXPLAIN THIS INSANITY TO ME!!!

I did my best to explain it to you. From the sounds of your rant, I'm not convinced that you mean "inappropriate" so much as "annoying and inconvenient." I love kids, but to each their own. May your deity bless you with zero children.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

Yeah.

I also worked as a waitress and I made about 2.50 an hour. We were paid less than minimum wage because the salary was just a technicality. The tips are the income of a waiter.

$2.50 an hour is a heck of a lot more than $6 a day. I'd be hard pressed to find a restaurant where someone only works a couple of hours.

And they only get their tips if it's paid in cash and not on a card. If it's on a card it gets distributed to everyone who works there and they only get a small amount.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I don't mind when people bring their kids to work for a little bit (maybe it's bring your kid to work day or it's a rare occurrence due to an emergency)...but to have them there all day would be a no for me.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Yeah.

$2.50 an hour is a heck of a lot more than $6 a day.

And they only get their tips if it's paid in cash and not on a card. If it's on a card it gets distributed to everyone who works there and they only get a small amount.

Oh right!! I missed that and was thinking you said $6 an hour. Wow!! I am sick right now and feel like I am floating underwater. :laugh:

And yeah, I only worked 8 to 12 hour shifts, never less than that.

We usually had to distribute out a portion of our tips as well. But, all of these things vary from place to place.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Oh, sweetpea, if you think those names are bad, be glad you're not on my FL. Life is hard. Wear a helmet. :flowerforyou:

It doesn't pick your pocket or break your leg, so don't concern yourself with it. Nobody put a gun to your head and made you come into this thread, did they?

If they did, please let me know. I want you to be safe, and I know of resources.
  • mdtunstall
    Options
    I have no idea. In my prior job, I was the Chief Financial Officer for a medical practice; therefore, I established appropriate policy. One such policy was that employees were not allowed to bring their children to work with them. From a liability standpoint, it is a disaster waiting to happen, and generally patients should not be expected to tolerate the disruption when they are sick. How can a medical assistant or a nurse pay full attention to a patient when the child is making demands? Also, why would anyone want their child exposed to the germs in a medical office, and if the child is sick, why would a competent medical practitioner wish to expose their patient to the child's germs?

Unfortunately, in my case, the nurse practitioner (who, by the way, was dating the Doctor) thought it was a wonderful idea. Needless to say, I had a difficult time enforcing policy. Go figure.
  • Achrya
    Options

Yeah, minimum wage was 5.25.

I think you were getting shafted.