Babies in the Work Place

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I do occasionally bring my kids to the office on weekends when no one is here. I can't do a particular task for home and my husband often works weekends. I hook up a DVD player to the big screen in the conference room.

I have never worked in a workplace where it was okay to just bring kids in for the day.

Totally acceptable.

I work in a big state building- so not a lot of work goes on the weekend- but it would be fine by me if someone did that.
    agreed. if one more person tells me i'll "change my mind" about having children I'm gonna punch them straight in the baby-maker.
    apparently live and let live doesn't apply to them.

What I LOVE about those people- they are the same ones who over react when you tell them that doing X is bad parenting... "you don't have kids you don't know!!!!" they screech

really? that doesn't mean I still don't know what bad parenting is when I see it- and secondly if you can tell me what I want to do with my body why cant' I tell you what I think is bad parenting?

insufferable. Those type of people are insufferable.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    So happy I'm not the only one. I hate having to pretend that your baby is cute, or that you're something special because you became a parent. You're not special! Your baby isn't cute, and no I really, really don't want to hold it. And another thing, just because I'm choosing not to have babies, doesn't give you the right to say "you will" or "it's different when they're your own". I go to my BF's house, who has 1 year old twins and pregnant with her third, and that's birth control for me. I love the littel boogers, but I don't want to keep them. Keep the snot noses out of the office, I don't really care that much about you or your little family.

OMG all of this! I would also get the 'You can go on vacation. They're just different." Sorry charlie but until you've gone on one of MY vacations your tune would change.

I have since stopped saying I just don't want them. Now I tell people that I'm deathly allergic to them. Stops all conversations or protests.
  • pianochick5254
    Options
    I don't know what to think about all of it...there are so many sides to this.

As a person who doesn't have any family around or people who can watch my baby when I go to work if the babysitter cancels, I can honestly say that working at a place that would allow me to bring my child instead of just not coming to work (risking termination).

It is good to spend time with your kids, its kind of the best of both worlds when it comes to working mom and SAHM.

Also though, it must be irritating to other co-workers and it definitely does risk sickness to everyone involved.

If it's just for a visit, I think people should just nod politely while keeping in mind that the visit isn't going to last forever.
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I love babies that I know, but other than that keep them away please, especially at work. Most are ugly and scare me a little. I don't want to pretend I care, too much energy.

Yes I know I'm going to hell, with all the ugly babies.

ETA :Except for those odd times when my lady parts are acting weird and I have to convince myself not to run away with the baby and keep it for myself. Two extremes, I know, but that's being a woman.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i have a kid, and he was once a baby, so this isnt a baby hating thing...

but it is.

my kid was awesome as a baby, but all the others are terrible. loud, disturbing to look at, smelling of powder and urine.

keep the kid at home. they dont belong at work. if you want to show it off, call reception and have them announce that your baby is down in the lobby awaiting visitors. if you wanna go, cool. if not, thats cool too.

just dont come back up here all "ready for a baby" with drool and spit-up on your shoulder.

ugh.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for the record, I do not think folks should bring their children to work under normal circumstances at most workplaces. Occasional visits for a few minutes can be appropriate, but as substitute daycare or when the kids are sick - not so much.

I don't like it when my manager comes in sick... not gonna bring a child with who knows what illness in... too bad my manager loves accruing so much sick time he is forced to sell it back more than going home and being well, despite us all telling him to GO HOME...
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Oh and please don't lump all of us parents (even the uber kid loving ones) in the whole pile of those that think they know your lives better than you do... I for one don't tell childless people "they will change their minds"... I just don't care either way...
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    When I first read this I thought you said Barbies..... I was really confused :/
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options

I have since stopped saying I just don't want them. Now I tell people that I'm deathly allergic to them. Stops all conversations or protests.

hahah i'm gonna try that!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    My kids also really love science. There has been one time on the weekend when my husband brought our older daughter to the lab (no one else was there), he is a physicist and he had her help with assembly of small identical parts for a larger machine (a menial task that was fun for her). He would never have her help with something that she was not capable of doing properly. Then for a while my younger daughter wanted to see what it was like to go to work with him. So, one day he took her in the morning, for a couple hours, then took her out to lunch, brought her home, and then he went back to work for the day (without her). He just did that one time during the entire 6 years that he has worked there. And she was very well behaved and interested. But, that was a planned out event. It was during the summer, that's why she was not in school that day. And he does not work in some boring office. It's a hands on, educational environment. And it has noises. It's not a quiet, serene environment. Our daughter was quiet, though.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Oh and please don't lump all of us parents (even the uber kid loving ones) in the whole pile of those that think they know your lives better than you do... I for one don't tell childless people "they will change their minds"... I just don't care either way...

Yeah, I don't do that either. Having kids is not for everyone. Just like a lot of things in life.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    you don't seem disproportionately angry about this at all.

Ha! :flowerforyou:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's a workplace, not a daycare.

I have this hanging in my office:

970828_623059944382051_1282097271_n_zps1f086e93.jpg

Attention: All children who are left unattended will be fed to sharks.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    My kids are in my current profile pic, but that's actually not because I want to show them off, it's just that in life sometimes parents are with their kids and a photo gets taken and that's the most recent photo a person has.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm on board with OP. I can't stand babies or kids, OR the parents who parade them around like trophies.. "LOOK WHAT I MADE WITH MY GENITALS!! Tell me nice things and make me feel important!" Kids don't belong in the work place if it's an office setting. My coworker brought her daughter in the other day for like an hour and I got sooo tired of saying "yaaa she's totally cute" "wow how funny!" and "oh i love that drawing how pretty!"
    To each their own, though. Some people want tons of kids and never tire of talking about cartoons and answering the same question 10 times.. I, however, am happy being a kidless shrew with my fiance for all time ;)

yeah I can't- I won't even lie and say "oh how cute"

or I'll say it just sarcastically enough they stop asking.

LOL... kidless schrew- yup that's me. Everyone tells me that'll change as I get older. I really dislike discussing personal things like that in the first place and secondly all I really want to say is- well I guess I better start saving up for his vasectomy reversal!!!

But that's none of their damn business.

HAHA!! Your posts sound exactly like me! Kids annoy me and pregnant women make me ill. I do everything possible to avoid the pregos in my office. Also when people bring their baby around I walk away or make myself look very busy! I hate that everyone tells me I will change my mind and want kids one day. My obgyn wouldn't even discuss getting my tubes tied!
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

^This.

And I (generally) love kids.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Ahh, the beauty of owning my own business. I can bring my kids in when I have to. I prefer not to, but sometimes **** happens. I also don't care if people bring their dogs in, as long as they don't crap on the floor or bite people.

And I don't know what kind of freaks are out there insisting that people who don't want kids they will change their minds. I'm pretty live and let live about it.
  • Fridaklo77
    Options
    hey! we were all snotty babies at one time LOL

But yeah , I am not one to want to carry a baby or baby sit.........
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    So happy I'm not the only one. I hate having to pretend that your baby is cute, or that you're something special because you became a parent. You're not special! Your baby isn't cute, and no I really, really don't want to hold it. And another thing, just because I'm choosing not to have babies, doesn't give you the right to say "you will" or "it's different when they're your own". I go to my BF's house, who has 1 year old twins and pregnant with her third, and that's birth control for me. I love the littel boogers, but I don't want to keep them. Keep the snot noses out of the office, I don't really care that much about you or your little family.

OMG all of this! I would also get the 'You can go on vacation. They're just different." Sorry charlie but until you've gone on one of MY vacations your tune would change.

OMG what I hate is when people tell me "well you don't have kids so you wouldn't know" or "just wait untul you have kids". Apparently you can not have any sort of stress in your life or be tired from lack of sleep unless you have kids.

I am so glad I am not the only angry childless perosn!