Babies in the Work Place

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I'm on board with OP. I can't stand babies or kids, OR the parents who parade them around like trophies.. "LOOK WHAT I MADE WITH MY GENITALS!! Tell me nice things and make me feel important!" Kids don't belong in the work place if it's an office setting. My coworker brought her daughter in the other day for like an hour and I got sooo tired of saying "yaaa she's totally cute" "wow how funny!" and "oh i love that drawing how pretty!"
    To each their own, though. Some people want tons of kids and never tire of talking about cartoons and answering the same question 10 times.. I, however, am happy being a kidless shrew with my fiance for all time ;)

yeah I can't- I won't even lie and say "oh how cute"

or I'll say it just sarcastically enough they stop asking.

LOL... kidless schrew- yup that's me. Everyone tells me that'll change as I get older. I really dislike discussing personal things like that in the first place and secondly all I really want to say is- well I guess I better start saving up for his vasectomy reversal!!!

But that's none of their damn business.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Well, that's what I get for trying to be politic. :tongue: I don't like 'em either. I had more than my fill of raising kids when I was a kid. And I guess my general concern for children's well-being is what leads me to not want to inflict myself on them. Or them on me. Or them on anybody else.

Mark Twain, American literary genius, said it best:
    When a boy turns 13, seal him in a barrel and feed him through a knot hole.
    When he turns 16, plug up the hole.

I prefer "child-free" to kidless though. I don't deny the shrew part though.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    all you have to do is say "Wow" or "Really??" every now and then.

And unless you're racing to meet a deadline that could shut the company down, closing your door so you don't have to see someone's baby is a little over the top.
    :huh: Really? Because I think I don't even have to do that. *I* didn't sign up for a kid.

I don't think wanting to be able to have peace and quiet to work is over the top. I shut my door all the time, when people are talking loudly on the phone or to another co-worker, or just if the office noise is stopping me from concentrating. Not everybody's good at functioning at 100% when they're being constantly distracted. Maybe that's part of why some of us are self-selecting not to breed.

SO agree with this. I think I love you.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Can someone explain to me why they feel it's acceptable to bring these nasty germ machines to the work place?

EXPLAIN THIS INSANITY TO ME!!!

Because I work in a Children's Hospital.

How dare you work to save the lives of children. You know how evil children are. So innocent, they dont even know they will one day grow up to hate children.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Seriously, I dont take my kids to work because I don't feel they would enjoy it there.

Also because when it comes to my kids I will catch a charge. So I rather avoid the situation.
  • I don't stand it either. Hell, I really don't understand the purpose of having kids. Population level: overflow
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    I'm a mom. I raised 3 and a half kids, three of those from birth. I love kids. But I don't love them at work. There's a time and a place for everything, and if you want to stop by because you want to show everyone that you really did have a baby; that's one thing. Bringing children to work for the day? No. Just no. They are loud, annoying, disruptive, and loud. (Yes, I meant to do that because they are loud.) And it's ok for them to be that way, because I would imagine they are bored stiff being in an office setting, acting out accordingly, hence why they shouldn't be here.

If they are sick, take a sick day. I don't want what they're carrying, either. If daycare is closed? Take a vacation day.

I come to work to get my job done, not to have to entertain my employees' children (or my own, for that matter, when they were younger).

I was a great parent, and love to spoil my friends' kids, and just because I don't think kids belong in the workplace (you know, unless it's a daycare, peds office, classroom, LOL...) doesn't make me an insensitive buffoon who hates kids...
  • JoRocka
    I'm a mom. I raised 3 and a half kids, three of those from birth. I love kids. But I don't love them at work. There's a time and a place for everything, and if you want to stop by because you want to show everyone that you really did have a baby; that's one thing. Bringing children to work for the day? No. Just no. They are loud, annoying, disruptive, and loud. (Yes, I meant to do that because they are loud.) And it's ok for them to be that way, because I would imagine they are bored stiff being in an office setting, acting out accordingly, hence why they shouldn't be here.

If they are sick, take a sick day. I don't want what they're carrying, either. If daycare is closed? Take a vacation day.

I come to work to get my job done, not to have to entertain my employees' children (or my own, for that matter, when they were younger).

I was a great parent, and love to spoil my friends' kids, and just because I don't think kids belong in the workplace (you know, unless it's a daycare, peds office, classroom, LOL...) doesn't make me an insensitive buffoon who hates kids...

You're an awesome mom and a great human being.
  • asimmons221
    asimmons221 Posts: 294 Member
    It's not that I use to hate kids, I just found them annoying, I guess I still feels this way situationally. At the same time my girlfriends 6 year old cousin is one of the coolest and happiest person I've met.
  • I'm a mom. I raised 3 and a half kids, three of those from birth. I love kids. But I don't love them at work. There's a time and a place for everything, and if you want to stop by because you want to show everyone that you really did have a baby; that's one thing. Bringing children to work for the day? No. Just no. They are loud, annoying, disruptive, and loud. (Yes, I meant to do that because they are loud.) And it's ok for them to be that way, because I would imagine they are bored stiff being in an office setting, acting out accordingly, hence why they shouldn't be here.

*raises hand* how do you have half a kid?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Glad I don't work with any of you guys seriously.... our office is pretty small and close knit... at least the majority of us, love it when some one brings the kids in to work to show them off.... everyone always asks how each others family's are doing...
    kids aren't trophies- why are we showing them off?? that's I guess what I don't get either. Also I'm not friends with people from work- friendly- yes- but friends no. So my concern for someone else's family is fairly limited.

But THANK YOU for taking the day off instead of bringing them in- I- from my office cubicle all the way over here- and not working with you- appreciate it tremendously. :flowerforyou:

yeah kids- just not my thing. And I don't understand why people bring them in- it's just...weird to me.

Well seeing as we spend around 40-45 hours a week with these people... I would rather be friends with the people that I work with... makes the day go by faster.

And honestly, that's fine they aren't your thing... they aren't a lot of people's thing... hell, sometimes they aren't even current parents thing... but they are still going to be here and others enjoy having them around... I hate douchy drivers that cut me off and tailgate me and generally don't know how to get around, but I still must deal with them on a daily basis... might as well be patient and not get my blood pressure out of whack over them.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member

:blushing: :flowerforyou: Thank you!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    So happy I'm not the only one. I hate having to pretend that your baby is cute, or that you're something special because you became a parent. You're not special! Your baby isn't cute, and no I really, really don't want to hold it. And another thing, just because I'm choosing not to have babies, doesn't give you the right to say "you will" or "it's different when they're your own". I go to my BF's house, who has 1 year old twins and pregnant with her third, and that's birth control for me. I love the littel boogers, but I don't want to keep them. Keep the snot noses out of the office, I don't really care that much about you or your little family.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Just demand that you can bring your pets to work.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I do occasionally bring my kids to the office on weekends when no one is here. I can't do a particular task for home and my husband often works weekends. I hook up a DVD player to the big screen in the conference room.

I have never worked in a workplace where it was okay to just bring kids in for the day.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    I love babies! I don't mind if people bring them to work, and I also don't mind if they want me to babysit for a little bit if they need a break. That's just me though. Not everyone is accustomed to being around children.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    I'm on board with OP. I can't stand babies or kids, OR the parents who parade them around like trophies.. "LOOK WHAT I MADE WITH MY GENITALS!! Tell me nice things and make me feel important!" Kids don't belong in the work place if it's an office setting. My coworker brought her daughter in the other day for like an hour and I got sooo tired of saying "yaaa she's totally cute" "wow how funny!" and "oh i love that drawing how pretty!"
    To each their own, though. Some people want tons of kids and never tire of talking about cartoons and answering the same question 10 times.. I, however, am happy being a kidless shrew with my fiance for all time ;)

yeah I can't- I won't even lie and say "oh how cute"

or I'll say it just sarcastically enough they stop asking.

LOL... kidless schrew- yup that's me. Everyone tells me that'll change as I get older. I really dislike discussing personal things like that in the first place and secondly all I really want to say is- well I guess I better start saving up for his vasectomy reversal!!!

But that's none of their damn business.

agreed. if one more person tells me i'll "change my mind" about having children I'm gonna punch them straight in the baby-maker.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Oh, and for the record, I do not think folks should bring their children to work under normal circumstances at most workplaces. Occasional visits for a few minutes can be appropriate, but as substitute daycare or when the kids are sick - not so much.
  • I hate kids. They disgust me.

It's a fairly normal reaction for me- and I'm an overly angry person ANYWAY- which I freely admit- but yeah- hate kids. hate the idea of them being at work. It's like god damnit am I not safe ANYWHERE!!!

This. Except for being an overly angry person.

Was there a time when I wanted children? Sure. But then I met my husband and go on fabulous vacations, and I take naps, and we go any where we want at the drop of a hat. I would never change that lifestyle for anyone or anything.

I just don't like kids. I know that parents think they're child is sooooooo darling and the most adorable little creature out there but I don't. I don't want to hear your screaming baby or your fussy toddler when I'm having a nice dinner out with my husband. If the server wants to seat us anywhere near a table that has a kid we will refuse and ask (politely) to be seated elsewhere.
  • JoRocka
    I do occasionally bring my kids to the office on weekends when no one is here. I can't do a particular task for home and my husband often works weekends. I hook up a DVD player to the big screen in the conference room.

I have never worked in a workplace where it was okay to just bring kids in for the day.

Totally acceptable.

I work in a big state building- so not a lot of work goes on the weekend- but it would be fine by me if someone did that.
    agreed. if one more person tells me i'll "change my mind" about having children I'm gonna punch them straight in the baby-maker.
    apparently live and let live doesn't apply to them.

What I LOVE about those people- they are the same ones who over react when you tell them that doing X is bad parenting... "you don't have kids you don't know!!!!" they screech

really? that doesn't mean I still don't know what bad parenting is when I see it- and secondly if you can tell me what I want to do with my body why cant' I tell you what I think is bad parenting?

insufferable. Those type of people are insufferable.