Babies in the Work Place

Options

Replies

• suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    WoW! After reading this thread, i will not even think about bringing my baby to introduce to my colleagues at work place, if this is what they think !
    My hubby took my daughter once to office, because he just wanted to show her his office and also introduce her to his colleagues/friends. He went and came out in 10 minutes. But if even a single person had thoughts as many of you have mentioned before, i would rather have her not meet any one of them!
    Hubby also took her in, because he will not be able to take her to his office after she turns 2.

But kids at workplace for an entire day is a whole different annoying story, for both the kids , the parent and the co-workers.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    It depends on the workplace. I have heard of workplaces allowing dogs to come into the workplace.

I'm not a fan of young children in the majority of workplaces. Potential for disruptions and general mayhem.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I would never bring in a baby or young toddler. My daughter has been spending a few hours a week in my office since she was 7. I guess some of us have raised well-behaved children that can handle being in the workplace without disruption. If she was a brat, I would arrange daycare, but she sits and does her homework or reads. Now that she's 11, she cleans the office and does other small jobs for us.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I feel pretty blessed after reading this! My office mates are always asking me to bring my kids around. If my sitter needs to drop them to me after I am off, I get scolded if I don't bring them in to say hi.

Do I want my kids with me all the time. Heck no! I come to work to take a break from them, however, I do love seeing them get spoiled and complimented by those I work with. Parenting is tough so it's kind of nice ego boost to hear how well behaved they are or how I'm doing a good job as a mom.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I used to hate kids.

Then I got into a happy relationship.

Then one of my children died.

I have a great appreciation for life and children that I never used to have.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I love the term "crumb snatchers"... I'm going to have to start using that. And my employer would never allow that at all - maybe a quick visit after someone that's been on maternity leave stops in once with the baby, but just bringing the baby for the whole day would not be okay.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Wow. Some strong overreaction in this thread. Trust me, I can't stand bratty kids, and I don't think bringing your children to work is the most professional thing in the world, but not all kids are bratty. Some of them are hilarious. You ask them a basic question, and they launch into the most over-the-top story you've ever heard in your life, and all you have to do is say "Wow" or "Really??" every now and then.

And unless you're racing to meet a deadline that could shut the company down, closing your door so you don't have to see someone's baby is a little over the top. Besides, if it's someone who ranks higher than you in the pecking order, you'd do well to play nice and feign interest. Office Politics 101.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    WoW! After reading this thread, i will not even think about bringing my baby to introduce to my colleagues at work place, if this is what they think !
    Bringing your kiddo in once for a short visit so everybody can meet her is a far, far cry from what we're talking here. It's not like babies are interested/interesting to interact with for an extended period. Probably almost everybody wants a chance to congratulate you and wish you well with your baby, but that doesn't take very long.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Glad I don't work with any of you guys seriously.... our office is pretty small and close knit... at least the majority of us, love it when some one brings the kids in to work to show them off.... everyone always asks how each others family's are doing... and there are times where the daycare is closed and I still have to work... which is really only once a year.... and my co-workers all suggest that I bring my toddler to work... I just don't and respectfully take a vacation day because 1) I don't want to disrupt everyone else, 2) If I'm at work I would like to be able to concentrate, and 3) my child would be bored.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I used to hate kids.

Some of us are in happy relationships and have been for a very, very long time, and yet still have no affinity with kids. For some of us, there may even be a causal relationship.

I know what it is like to lose very close loved ones nevertheless. I am sorry for your loss and grief.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    all you have to do is say "Wow" or "Really??" every now and then.

And unless you're racing to meet a deadline that could shut the company down, closing your door so you don't have to see someone's baby is a little over the top.
    :huh: Really? Because I think I don't even have to do that. *I* didn't sign up for a kid.

I don't think wanting to be able to have peace and quiet to work is over the top. I shut my door all the time, when people are talking loudly on the phone or to another co-worker, or just if the office noise is stopping me from concentrating. Not everybody's good at functioning at 100% when they're being constantly distracted. Maybe that's part of why some of us are self-selecting not to breed.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I used to hate kids.

Some of us are in happy relationships and have been for a very, very long time, and yet still have no affinity with kids. For some of us, there may even be a causal relationship.

I know what it is like to lose very close loved ones nevertheless. I am sorry for your loss and grief.

I see clearly how I implied you have to like kids if you are in a happy relationship - wrong implication on my part. For me, my dislike of all children was mostly due to my unhappiness. Now, I am happy, have children, and love children on the whole.

And thank you for your kind words.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Glad I don't work with any of you guys seriously.... our office is pretty small and close knit... at least the majority of us, love it when some one brings the kids in to work to show them off.... everyone always asks how each others family's are doing... and there are times where the daycare is closed and I still have to work... which is really only once a year.... and my co-workers all suggest that I bring my toddler to work... I just don't and respectfully take a vacation day because 1) I don't want to disrupt everyone else, 2) If I'm at work I would like to be able to concentrate, and 3) my child would be bored.
    But don't you see, everything you just said is why you are not part of the problem. Once a year is not what we're talking about, and you are considerate of the fact that your child would be bored, and that will affect his behavior, which will affect everyone's ability to concentrate, including your own. Sounds like you learned to "respect yourself and others" and I can see you're going to pass that on to your child, for which I am grateful. :drinker:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I too hate other people's kids. Actually, I just hate people in general.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    But don't you see, everything you just said is why you are not part of the problem. Once a year is not what we're talking about, and you are considerate of the fact that your child would be bored, and that will affect his behavior, which will affect everyone's ability to concentrate, including your own. Sounds like you learned to "respect yourself and others" and I can see you're going to pass that on to your child, for which I am grateful. :drinker:

WTH are you talking about then?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    you don't seem disproportionately angry about this at all.

I hate kids. They disgust me.

It's a fairly normal reaction for me- and I'm an overly angry person ANYWAY- which I freely admit- but yeah- hate kids. hate the idea of them being at work. It's like god damnit am I not safe ANYWHERE!!!
    all you have to do is say "Wow" or "Really??" every now and then.

And unless you're racing to meet a deadline that could shut the company down, closing your door so you don't have to see someone's baby is a little over the top.
    nope- I'll walk away. physically walk away- if someone brings a child into the cubicle I'll leave... or say something not very nice about said person. I hate babies. I don't enjoy the presence of your offspring. They literally disgust me- don't bring it near me- and don't bring it near me to taunt me with how that will be m in a few years. That *kitten* pisses me of endlessly.
    Bringing your kiddo in once for a short visit so everybody can meet her is a far, far cry from what we're talking here. It's not like babies are interested/interesting to interact with for an extended period. Probably almost everybody wants a chance to congratulate you and wish you well with your baby, but that doesn't take very long.

nope- when someone says we're pregnant I do one of two things (depending on how well I know said person)
    1.) CONGRATS YOU CAN HAVE SEX **high five**
    2.) Say nothing and mind my own buisness.

I don't want to see anyone's baby. That being said- if you HAVE to bring a baby in- make sure it's like placenta wrapped fresh out of the womb- 9/10 they are sleeping. anything over a few weeks they start getting loud I can't.
    Glad I don't work with any of you guys seriously.... our office is pretty small and close knit... at least the majority of us, love it when some one brings the kids in to work to show them off.... everyone always asks how each others family's are doing...
    kids aren't trophies- why are we showing them off?? that's I guess what I don't get either. Also I'm not friends with people from work- friendly- yes- but friends no. So my concern for someone else's family is fairly limited.

But THANK YOU for taking the day off instead of bringing them in- I- from my office cubicle all the way over here- and not working with you- appreciate it tremendously. :flowerforyou:

yeah kids- just not my thing. And I don't understand why people bring them in- it's just...weird to me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I too hate other people's kids. Actually, I just hate people in general.

LMAO

THIS
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Who shows off their infant for more than a short period of time? Babies need feedings and naps, etc. I've never heard of anyone (outside of an office that included day care) that brought an infant for any longer than it takes to let their co-workers see the child.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Kids are OK when well behaved but there are too many parents that never discipline their children.

I fly a lot and on two recent flights I encountered screaming children. The first had a mother who did everything she could to sooth and quieten her child. Great!
    The second Mom simply let her child shriek and disrupt the whole plane. I cant stand that type of parent.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm on board with OP. I can't stand babies or kids, OR the parents who parade them around like trophies.. "LOOK WHAT I MADE WITH MY GENITALS!! Tell me nice things and make me feel important!" Kids don't belong in the work place if it's an office setting. My coworker brought her daughter in the other day for like an hour and I got sooo tired of saying "yaaa she's totally cute" "wow how funny!" and "oh i love that drawing how pretty!"
    To each their own, though. Some people want tons of kids and never tire of talking about cartoons and answering the same question 10 times.. I, however, am happy being a kidless shrew with my fiance for all time ;)