Babies in the Work Place

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Babies make great workers those small hands can get into the tightest of spaces
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with kids visiting as long as they are well behaved.

Maybe they were showing the kid "This is the desktop where mommy made you at the office Christmas party"
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I've been bringing my lil one (now 7) to my work since she was a baby...off and on. But, I own the place. when she was a baby, I had a small room built just for her a crib and as she grew older...a play room. It has dark tinted windows so she could see me....It's worked for me and she really loves coming to work with me now when she is out of school.

This.

I am a farmer and when she isn't at school, my daughter is technically at work with me. I bring my dogs, too - but then, the office that my wife works in lets you bring your dog.

Are children the last section of society that it is acceptable to say that you hate? You couldn't say "I hate ALL old people, they are stinking germ factories" or "I hate all people of x or y descent/hair coulor/religion" etc...

I hate stupid and/or selfish people... does that count?

and selfish =/= childless either. Or stupid for that matter... this note is tagged on because it's a common judgement that childless people are selfish...

I actually edited this because I apparently can't spell.

I'm not judging anyone for having or not having kids.

I'm asking why is it acceptable to refer to kids, as a whole as 'stinking germ factories etc'. I couldn't refer to all old people like that.

I dont like all kids, just like I don't like all people of whatever arbitary category you put people in based on other characteristics (age, race, gender etc). It makes it even odder that we were all once children. Children are a fact of life, just like old people etc, you have to learn to live with them because you share a planet with them.

I, personally, hated being a child so I'm not sure what the fact I was once a child has to do with anything. I was small, weak, not permitted to make my own choices, and occasionally shown off like I was a trophey for my mom to take about. It isn't something I look back on fondly or with longing.

And I hate tons of people for all manner of reasons. Kids are actually one of the more reasonable things I dislike.

I have no nostalgia for being a child either and would never want to go back to that again. But, that doesn't have anything to do with other humans that are children right now or how I feel about those humans. And I still have the awareness that I had to be a child before I grew into an adult. It's just a fact of life.

K. I assume all adults are aware they were once children. I'm still unsure of what "you were a kid once" has to do with disliking children. How does one relate to the other?

Do they relate? Or is that one of those things people say, thinking there's some kind of meaning or point?

It just means that there are going to be humans at that developmental stage on this planet. And maybe those kids would have a better childhood if they weren't hated (and then grow up to be happier adults maybe). So, for that it's good that some people don't hate kids.

Well of course its good all people don't hate kids. It'd be rough to continue on as a species if everyone hated kids, wouldn't it?

I doubt any child is suffering or headed towards a less happy adulthood due to my dislike of them.

No, I don't think that either. And you understand about the species continuing (some people don't). So, no problem then.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    It just means that there are going to be humans at that developmental stage on this planet. And maybe those kids would have a better childhood if they weren't hated (and then grow up to be happier adults maybe). So, for that it's good that some people don't hate kids.
    I am well aware of developmental stages. I am also aware of what constitutes age-appropriate interaction.

It's horrible to take a kid somewhere that people are expected to be quiet and on good behavior at all times, at least beyond the time span that it is reasonable for someone in that developmental stage to be able to behave. I don't know how old you are, so it may not apply to you, but almost assuredly I can say that when your parents were children they were not taken to every place your grandparents went.

Now you kids get outta my shrubbery!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

K. I assume all adults are aware they were once children. I'm still unsure of what "you were a kid once" has to do with disliking children. How does one relate to the other?

Do they relate? Or is that one of those things people say, thinking there's some kind of meaning or point?

You don't have to like kids because you were a kid once, but you should be understanding that kids are not miniature grown ups and sometimes they misbehave in public.

I'm aware kids aren't mini adults and I have little issue with kids misbehaving; I watch toddlers for a living so I'm knee deep in misbehaving as a way of life.

I imagine most people are aware of that, actually. We were all children once after all.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

Ever tried being fat or atheist?

Used to be fat. Still an atheist.

I'm an atheist also. Never been fat, though.

I'm both! Is there a prize?!?!
    Yep, you win the knowledge that you are not alone in being marginalized for it.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

It's not like I'm advocating peeling off their skin and boiling down their fat to make soap

Maybe not soap...But Baby Back Ribs are delicious
    A+Modest+Proposal.jpg
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I am well aware of developmental stages. I am also aware of what constitutes age-appropriate interaction.

It's horrible to take a kid somewhere that people are expected to be quiet and on good behavior at all times, at least beyond the time span that it is reasonable for someone in that developmental stage to be able to behave. I don't know how old you are, so it may not apply to you, but almost assuredly I can say that when your parents were children they were not taken to every place your grandparents went.

Now you kids get outta my shrubbery!

I agree that people should not take kids places where they are not welcome or where it is not appropriate or where it is supposed to be quiet, or where they are not allowed, etc.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Just remember that this is a thread full of responses, so just because someone says something does not mean they are talking to you (or about you) personally. They may be talking about something else entirely. Also, there could be misunderstandings, just as on any other topic (from all sides of the issue).

What? You mean people have different perspectives? Youre crazy
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

You don't have to like kids because you were a kid once, but you should be understanding that kids are not miniature grown ups and sometimes they misbehave in public.
    I totally DO get that, which is why I don't think you should torture them and everybody else by bringing them to a situation where that is not acceptable. Like your place of employment.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I'm aware kids aren't mini adults and I have little issue with kids misbehaving; I watch toddlers for a living so I'm knee deep in misbehaving as a way of life.

I imagine most people are aware of that, actually. We were all children once after all.

Right, so you just answered your question.

But, why do you work with kids if you don't like them? Shouldn't you find a more rewarding job?
  • Achrya
    Options
    I, personally, hated being a child so I'm not sure what the fact I was once a child has to do with anything. I was small, weak, not permitted to make my own choices, and occasionally shown off like I was a trophey for my mom to take about. It isn't something I look back on fondly or with longing.

And I hate tons of people for all manner of reasons. Kids are actually one of the more reasonable things I dislike.
    Sounds like we actually have much in common then, my dear.

Step-Brothers-Did-we-just-become-best-friends.gif

I did this from my phone, so I hope the effort is appreciated
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

But, why do you work with kids if you don't like them? Shouldn't you find a more rewarding job?
    This thread just took a hard left. :wink: I betcha if the economy were better, she'd probably do just that. Kudos to her for realizing that you gotta do what you gotta do, and doing her job because it's her job, and not *not* doing her job because she doesn't "like" it.

And I do appreciate the effort that it took to do that from your phone. :happy:
  • Achrya
    Options

The 'we were all kids once...' Part should be read in a mildly sarcastic/mocking tone, as to imply that it still reads as a nonsensical and meaningless thing people toss out without any real idea of what they're trying to say.

I should have clarified that. /kicks rocks

Also I like the money and in fact find pay day to be very very rewarding.

Its actually pretty nice when you consider I mostly sit around and read books out loud/sit on a bench and watch kids eat sand for a living.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Meh, I'm not marginalized. I live in an area that has one of the largest atheist populations in the US (lowest church attendance rate, per capita, too). I have some friends and family who are uber-religious, some who are atheists. We get along fine. But, I know I live in a bubble and not all of the US is like this.

The being fat thing is interesting. People were never rude to me (again, I don't live in that kind of area), but I can say that they are nicer to me now that I've dropped a chunk of weight. However, I do know that it happens to others and that people can be cruel.

So, yeah, I'm not marginalized for either, but I know there are those who are. So, results may vary.

Achyra: I'd totally have you babysit my kids. You'd think they are awesome.

Of course 1 is 17 and the other is 20 and they would love nothing more than to have someone to talk video games and comic books/gaming/other dweeby stuff with.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    v
    The 'we were all kids once...' Part should be read in a mildly sarcastic/mocking tone, as to imply that it still reads as a nonsensical and meaningless thing people toss out without any real idea of what they're trying to say.
    I totally got that... :laugh:
    Also I like the money and in fact find pay day to be very very rewarding.
    i-like-money.gif I did this from my laptop, so I hope you appreciate how little effort it took.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

I get that kids "misbehave" in public but in my view it's because the parents have them up waaaaaay past their bedtime or they are up during their map time. I've seen these kids. They're cranky and trudging around behind their parents rubbing their tired eyes and crying because they just want to go to sleep.

Or they're bringing them into situations where they know fully well they're not going to behave. I'm sorry but why should I have to put up with your screaming infant in a nice restaurant when you probably should have either gotten a baby sitter or stayed home?

Why are those people who don't like kids pariahs because of this view? There are plenty of people out there popping out the kids left and right who shouldn't have them. Be thankful for those who know that they don't want them.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I see. I used to work with kids also and it paid very low. So, there were many other jobs that paid better. I did it because I enjoyed it. I just didn't understand. It's a question that gets asked. When I graduated from college with a degree in dance and was dancing, but still needed a second job, I was interviewed for a position in human resources at an investment banking firm and they asked me directly, "If you have a degree in dance, why do you want to work here?" And if I had said, "For the money", I would not have gotten the job.
  • Achrya
    Options

Meh, I'm not marginalized. I live in an area that has one of the largest atheist populations in the US (lowest church attendance rate, per capita, too). I have some friends and family who are uber-religious, some who are atheists. We get along fine. But, I know I live in a bubble and not all of the US is like this.

The being fat thing is interesting. People were never rude to me (again, I don't live in that kind of area), but I can say that they are nicer to me now that I've dropped a chunk of weight. However, I do know that it happens to others and that people can be cruel.

So, yeah, I'm not marginalized for either, but I know there are those who are. So, results may vary.

Achyra: I'd totally have you babysit my kids. You'd think they are awesome.

Of course 1 is 17 and the other is 20 and they would love nothing more than to have someone to talk video games and comic books/gaming/other dweeby stuff with.

Would baby sit your kids for free!

I'm actually a highly recommended nanny/baby sitter/child care provider. Rave reviews from every client and facility I've ever dealt with. Go figure
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

I think it's somewhat mitigated by the fact that you're awesome, too. :drinker:

One of my churchiest classmates still thinks I'm a badass. She wants me to throw her! :laugh: