Babies in the Work Place

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Just remember that this is a thread full of responses, so just because someone says something does not mean they are talking to you (or about you) personally. They may be talking about something else entirely. Also, there could be misunderstandings, just as on any other topic (from all sides of the issue).

I don't think that there is much misunderstanding. It is very clear that there are a bunch of people in this threat that plain and simple don't hesitate to express their hate for children.
    One thing is not to be happy with children in a work environment, although many companies encourage parents to bring their offspring to work sometimes, but to call them crumb snatchers and germ machines is insulting and appalling.
    I am happy that many of them decided not to procreate. Just to think that they would teach hate to their offspring brings tears to my eyes.

Some people are just miserable human beings. They're lucky their mothers didn't hate kids as much as they do. What a sad existence.

My mother likes kids, so she had them.
    I don't, so I'm not.
    Had my mother hated children she wouldn't have had any.
    If she hadn't had me I wouldn't exist and thus I wouldn't care.

I'm not sure where your silly statement regarding the mothers of those who don't like children comes in, but I can only hope my very simple and easy to follow breakdown helps you find some manner of logical thought process.

:flowerforyou:

As an aside I'm neither sad nor miserable. I don't think I've been anything but cheerful and amused in here.

Who said you have to have children of your own? I personally couldn't care less if you procreate or not. But do you actually look at a random child you don't know and go "geez I hate that kid, and in fact I hate all kids and babies!" ? Then you have problems.

I feel like you're having issues following the logical train of thought.

Oh dear, I'm gonna have to help you out.

You: Lucky their mother don't hate kids
    Me: If my mother hated children she wouldn't have had any. If she hadn't had me I wouldn't exist, and thus wouldn't care.

The implication is that there is no luck or anything to feel lucky about. There was no luck involved, but the choices of a woman who enjoyed being a mother and wanted children. I don't think it was that complicated.

also have never had such thoughts about random children. I am generally indifferent and dismissive, as I am with all things I hate.

lol I'm not the one who needs help dear. See ya.

I love it when people are unable to come up with a logical response and leave on what they think is a witty note. I love a good flounce.

Unable? Actually, I find the lack of a challenge boring, so I'll leave you with a good night.

You're even bad a flouncing. Sad.

I guess we aren't the only ones with reading comprehension issues? Or is this the "do as I say but not as I do" teaching method?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Just remember that this is a thread full of responses, so just because someone says something does not mean they are talking to you (or about you) personally. They may be talking about something else entirely. Also, there could be misunderstandings, just as on any other topic (from all sides of the issue).

I don't think that there is much misunderstanding. It is very clear that there are a bunch of people in this threat that plain and simple don't hesitate to express their hate for children.
    One thing is not to be happy with children in a work environment, although many companies encourage parents to bring their offspring to work sometimes, but to call them crumb snatchers and germ machines is insulting and appalling.
    I am happy that many of them decided not to procreate. Just to think that they would teach hate to their offspring brings tears to my eyes.

Some people are just miserable human beings. They're lucky their mothers didn't hate kids as much as they do. What a sad existence.

My mother likes kids, so she had them.
    I don't, so I'm not.
    Had my mother hated children she wouldn't have had any.
    If she hadn't had me I wouldn't exist and thus I wouldn't care.

I'm not sure where your silly statement regarding the mothers of those who don't like children comes in, but I can only hope my very simple and easy to follow breakdown helps you find some manner of logical thought process.

:flowerforyou:

As an aside I'm neither sad nor miserable. I don't think I've been anything but cheerful and amused in here.

Who said you have to have children of your own? I personally couldn't care less if you procreate or not. But do you actually look at a random child you don't know and go "geez I hate that kid, and in fact I hate all kids and babies!" ? Then you have problems.

I feel like you're having issues following the logical train of thought.

Oh dear, I'm gonna have to help you out.

You: Lucky their mother don't hate kids
    Me: If my mother hated children she wouldn't have had any. If she hadn't had me I wouldn't exist, and thus wouldn't care.

The implication is that there is no luck or anything to feel lucky about. There was no luck involved, but the choices of a woman who enjoyed being a mother and wanted children. I don't think it was that complicated.

also have never had such thoughts about random children. I am generally indifferent and dismissive, as I am with all things I hate.

lol I'm not the one who needs help dear. See ya.

I love it when people are unable to come up with a logical response and leave on what they think is a witty note. I love a good flounce.

Unable? Actually, I find the lack of a challenge boring, so I'll leave you with a good night.

You're even bad a flouncing. Sad.

I guess we aren't the only ones with reading comprehension issues? Or is this the "do as I say but not as I do" teaching method?

Mysteries.

Or we can't see past our own misery. Not sure.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Me: If my mother hated children she wouldn't have had any.

Not necessarily true. Plenty of people that hate kids have kids for various reasons: Carelessness is one. So they can abuse them is another. But, anyway I don't find this conversation all that interesting to continue...
  • Achrya
    Options
    Me: If my mother hated children she wouldn't have had any.

Not necessarily true. Plenty of people that hate kids have kids for various reasons: Carelessness is one. So they can abuse them is another. But, anyway I don't find this conversation all that interesting to continue...

That's why I said 'my mother' not 'all mothers'. I do my best to not make general statements in cases like this and to always stick to specifics.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Well, I guess I actually am curious at what age children cross over the threshold into being in a state that they are potentially capable of no longer being hated by the people that hate children. Age 16? Age 18? Age 21??? I am genuinely curious.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess I actually am curious at what age children cross over the threshold into being in a state that they are potentially capable of no longer being hated by the people that hate children. Age 16? Age 18? Age 21??? I am genuinely curious.
    I haven't read the entire thread , but for me it really depends on the child/person. If you can actually have a discussion/debate on a subject vs having an argument then they have reached that age.

Personally I don't hate children, but I am definitely unconformable around then. Being in the presence of young children (babies/todlers) can cause me to have an anxiety attack (or damn close to it) If they start screaming I MUST escape the situation. At my work, there is a rule that if someone brings their baby into work for others to see/swoon over they are meant to stay in the reception area and have people come out to them. Unfortunately for me this rule isn't enforced and the position of my cube tend to be a 'gathering' point as it is on the corner of what is effectively a crossroad.
    When a spawn is in the office I either crank my iphone to hearing damaging levels and deal with the impending anxiety attack, or I leave the building until the spawn is gone.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I hate it.

I am forced by my employer to work in an open plan office so I can't get away from it.

I like kids but not at work. The parents don't give advance warning that they are coming in, they just turn up so you can't even arrange to be working from another part of the office or to be in a meeting to avoid the disruption, noise, chatting etc.

I end up having to put my giant headphones on so I can continue working. And if I need to talk to colleagues about work matters whilst they are cooing over the baby I feel like the intruder!
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm slightly guilty of having my son come to work. I make my husband leave after a short time because I can't get any work done if he's there. Thankfully I work in a small office, it's just me and my boss, and my boss loves having him there:)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    hating something doesn't make you miserable- it means you really dislike it.

I hate brownies with nuts in them.
    I hate sourkrout.
    I hate when people chew super loudly.

This doesn't make me miserable. It means I don't like said things and I want to escape it immediately.

At not point do I blame the child for being a child. By it's very nature of existing I dislike it. it's not IT"S fault for being a baby. But that doesn't mean I like it.

And I agree again- if my mom hated kids- she wouldn't have had them- I would never exist and therefore I wouldn't' care- I can't stand when people use that argument. Non-existent/Dead people don't care about anything. They don't exist. They have no opinion on it either way. It's a completely specious and irrelevant argument.

Much like you telling me that I'm a miserable human being for disliking something. That's just utter nonsense. Not all of us are programmed to have the 'baby' gene that makes you want to go run and fuss over a baby. All it makes me want to do is run and vomit. Literally- that type of behavior makes me ill- it's just so nonsensical to me.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I feel so out of touch. I hate weird things like political corruption, war and pollution. A lot of you need to watch the movie "The Witches".
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Maybe I have a different definition of hate then. To me, hating a person or class of persons means, partly, to wish them ill. It's actively disliking them to that point. I hate pedophiles. I hate people who torture animals. I hate the people who during war times put civilians in camps to rape and kill them. I wish these people didn't exist. Hate is a strong word, it's not just indifference or dislike, and it's more than just not wanting to be around them. That's why I can't fathom hating babies. Or hating a race of persons. Or hating homosexuals.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Maybe I have a different definition of hate then. To me, hating a person or class of persons means, partly, to wish them ill. It's actively disliking them to that point. I hate pedophiles. I hate people who torture animals. I hate the people who during war times put civilians in camps to rape and kill them. I wish these people didn't exist. Hate is a strong word, it's not just indifference or dislike, and it's more than just not wanting to be around them. That's why I can't fathom hating babies. Or hating a race of persons. Or hating homosexuals.

^this.
  • Achrya
    Options

Case by case basis, but usually around the point they can pick up on the fact I want them to get the hell away from me and then do it without complaint. Then they move from hated to "General indifference."

For some people this may be 12 and for some it's never.
  • Achrya
    Options

I don't think you can define hatred and what it mean for others or assume there is only one blanket way it makes people feel or that people aren't capable of degrees of hatred. I can hate rapists and I can hate babies, there is room for both.

I don't waste time wishing things that will always exist (rape, war crime, avacados, babies) will stop existing and I don't wish anyone ill will, so maybe that's why my scope of hatred is so diverse and interesting. If I only hated things I wanted to cease to exist or wished ill I wouldn't hate anything.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bring a baby into the office, but i wouldn't mind making babies in the office.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Children aren't vermin, they are people. Do other people enter your workplace, like friends or relatives of co-workers? Are you this venomous about their presence or are you just bigoted against children? I am actively teaching my children to respect peoples boundaries, speak politely and try to be friendly to people. It's a shame those values arent more widespread on these forums.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me why they feel it's acceptable to bring these nasty germ machines to the work place?

I can't bring my dog or cat in to work... why are they allowed to bring their crumb snatchers?

I've never understood- even from a parents perspective why you would want to explose your child to so many strangers... and why you would want to expose complete random strangers to the potentially highly disruptive behavior of said child.

To be honest- seen and not heard- well actually not seen and not heard for me is perfect- but if I can't hear it- whatever fine- but 9/10 that's just not the case.

Annoying- and wildly inappropriate to me- Grateful I don't have to deal with it that often- but still WHY.

EXPLAIN THIS INSANITY TO ME!!!

Wow. Just WOW. I really hope you don't have kids....

*SMH*
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I was a traveling nurse for a home health agency and when nurses wouldn't show up they would call me to cover the PT's... It wasn't my day or shift so I had no plans in order for my daughter who was5/6 at the time so I had to take her with me and they knew it and approved it, until some of the staff at work complained. My daughter never left my side and was very quiet nor did she try to get into anything. I think it depends on the situation and how your child would react in whatever type of work environment you may have, unless it's a strip club or some other crazy places.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Achrya, I checked. Minimum wage was 5.25 where I was living, more than a decade ago. And shortly after that it was raised to 7.25. This was before you were old enough for a work permit, so that's probably why you don't recollect it.

Also, different people have a different perception of what hate means that doesn't mean they are defining it for you. They are just telling you what they perceived you to be saying. Is it really so difficult to understand that.

Also, if your parents loved you and did not harm you, then yes you are lucky for that. But, I'm sure you will all have some annoying reason why you aren't.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Ahh.

When I worked in the SICU at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, I would be so disgusted by people bringing their babies and toddlers to the ICU. Not only that, some would let them crawl around on the floor. DO you have any idea what ends up on the floors of an ICU? NEVER BRING A BABY TO THE ICU!!