water fasting

Options
14567810»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    What is a water fast exactly?? How long should you go on a water fast for?

A water fast is not eating food. It's starvation. You should go on a water fast between meals, no longer.

How long between meals? 5 mins? 1 day? .... your point has flaws.

OK we get it, you like to advocate for fasting...I have no issue with IF/lean gains/5:2 etc...I did IF for a year and liked it...all we are saying is a water fast in excess of 72 hours is probably not the healthiest option...
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    And here we go again.........fasts don't work, cleanses don't work. Stop being foolish.....ugh.

Huh? Fasts dont work? Tell that to people who fast & do lose weight.

Does the weight stay off once the fast finishes and they begin to eat normal food? No...so they don't work !!

If done right. I plan on fasting 3 times a week for the rest of my life. So do a lot of other people who do IF, 5:2, 4:3, 16:8

They do work.

I would say there is a massive difference between IF, even the 4:3, than a 50+ day water only fast. And this threads was about the latter. Your defense of fasting, without establishing early on that you meant IF, did sort of seem to support the OP's original idea. (For the record, I was assuming you meant IF because I've seen your posts in other threads, but there may have been other readers who didn't).

Do you see how what people are saying is appropriate caution to long term water only fasts, or are you lumping all fasting together?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    And here we go again.........fasts don't work, cleanses don't work. Stop being foolish.....ugh.

Does the weight stay off once the fast finishes and they begin to eat normal food? No...so they don't work !!

If done right. I plan on fasting 3 times a week for the rest of my life. So do a lot of other people who do IF, 5:2, 4:3, 16:8

They do work.

I would say there is a massive difference between IF, even the 4:3, than a 50+ day water only fast. And this threads was about the latter. Your defense of fasting, without establishing early on that you meant IF, did sort of seem to support the OP's original idea. (For the record, I was assuming you meant IF because I've seen your posts in other threads, but there may have been other readers who didn't).

Do you see how what people are saying is appropriate caution to long term water only fasts, or are you lumping all fasting together?
    December 13, 2013 6:40 pm

Excuse me? I fast 40 hours 3 times a week on nothing but water.

Does that make me ana now?

Ummmmm right there is said 40 hours. That's not a 52 day fast or even a 40 days fast.... that shows clearly my 1st post in this thread where IF was what I do. :noway:
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Water fasting... please. I do vodka fasting. Much better results.

^ in sufficient quantities it's a natural purgative.

"Mom! MOM! Did you know vodka is a natural purgative in suficient quantities?! I learn so many things on the internet today!" :laugh:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I do this, it works
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

They do work.

December 13, 2013 6:40 pm

Excuse me? I fast 40 hours 3 times a week on nothing but water.

Does that make me ana now?

Ummmmm right there is said 40 hours. That's not a 52 day fast or even a 40 days fast.... that shows clearly my 1st post in this thread where IF was what I do. :noway:

My apologies. I misplaced that one over all the hullabaloo.

I still maintain that coming into a "I'm going to fast for two months to lose weight thread" and talking about all the benefits of fasting (even IF) can be a bit inflammatory.
  • coloprincess16
    Options
    Water fasting... please. I do vodka fasting. Much better results.

step off fool, my hopps beat you to the blurry eyed post!

soultrain.gif

that made my night.
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Well the friend joining the Marines is an idiot. To folks calling him a Marine, he isn't and until he earns it. As a Marine it's a pet peeve of mine.... Earning the Title is not something everyone can do.

In bootcamp there are weekly weigh ins and ANYONE Over or Under will have their diet modified. I was on TRIPLE Rations because Double was barely keeping me at the weight minimum for my height. And those over were NEVER put on water and water alone.

So please this "Trainer wanna be that is supposed to join" shouldn't be listened to. OP... you first said would you have energy with baby to care for... then it was "oh my hubby can help". I feel like you're making excuses to rationalize this potentially hazardous situation you're putting yourself in. What happens when you start eating food again? I'd imagine you would have to start doing a re-feeding program like people in recovery with eating disorders. Why put yourself through that? Can't the long term metabolic damage derail any progress? I think that would put you at a risk to regain ALL weight lost and that would be a shame.

I know I'm just a person on a board and since I'm against what you'd be doing my opinion probably means nothing, just please be careful. I don't know you from a random person sitting next to me at Panera... but as a person I do still care.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to provide a brief explanation for locking this topic.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.