water fasting

Options

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Holy crap did I stumble into a pro-ana site?!?!

You should not be "water fasting" for weight loss.

Excuse me? I fast 40 hours 3 times a week on nothing but water.

Does that make me ana now?

I fast between 42-70 hours a week on a no food no water fast...I call it the Sleeping Method.

But you aren't trying to do a 24/7 water fast for 52 days straight. Just walking a marathon everyday at speeds that break world records, right?

See I'm not talking about 40 hours a week for me... I'm talking 40 hours straight... 3 times a week. 120 hours a week without food...just water.

But no way in hell I'd be doing 52 days in a row.
  • fhy1993
    Options
    I'm not against normal dieting and exercise ive lost four stone in the past year with exercise and diet just my weight is stuck now so doing a fast should hopefully kick start the weight loss again that's all
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm not against normal dieting and exercise ive lost four stone in the past year with exercise and diet just my weight is stuck now so doing a fast should hopefully kick start the weight loss again that's all

You aren't a bike or a car. You don't "kick start" or "jump start" weight loss...especially not with a 52 day water fast. More than likely, you are probably eating more than you know. Are you using a food scale to weigh all your food? If not, invest in one and weigh whenever possible. Log everything you eat (no quick add calories) and do it everyday consistently. Here are a few links I'd suggest you read.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You lost 4 stone in a year - that is really good going. How long have you been stalled for?
  • fhy1993
    Options
    Thank you :) i do weigh all my food though i have 1200 calories a day that's it but my weight just wont budge now no matter how much exercise i do so i wanted to try a fast i only set 52 days because that's when im celebrating my birthday it wasn't to be specifically that long that's just the longest i think anyone can go on just liquids i was really only aiming for about thirty days than switching to fresh juices for the rest of the fast
  • rie_q
    rie_q Posts: 73
    Options
    Are you taking any supplements with it? I heard that you can get pretty sick doing a just water fast without any vitamins for an extended amount of time.
    Taking supplements would not be fasting. And taking supplements during a fast is not necessary. It's helpful to have a lead in diet, for a few days before the fast, with a lot of micro-nutrient rich food.

Or. You could just eat food and not do a pointless water fast.
    Ignorance. You don't see the point, but there is one.

Enlighten me, please
    No thanks, that sounds like a huge waste of time. If i were to spend an hour completely explaining it, provide peer reviewed medical studies, and show examples of people who have improved their lives through water fasting, it still wouldn't change your opinion. You didn't come in here to be enlightened, and we both know it.

I actually would like to see these peer-reviewed studies, please. Pretty please. :flowerforyou:
  • fhy1993
    Options
    Ive been stuck at the same weight for roughly two months now mabey three at most
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Ive been stuck at the same weight for roughly two months now mabey three at most

You've been a member since November this year. Have you logged your meals since you joined?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

How accurately are you recording your intake? Are you using a food scale? How much exercise are you doing currently?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Try just doing a 5:2 fasting then. 500 cals, 2 times a week & the other days eat at maintain calories. No need to go dangerous for 52 days & this way you will have the energy to do things (without food for 52 days you wont) and you will lose weight.
  • fhy1993
    Options
    No this is the first time ive been in here since i joined i actually only joined the sight for advice and other peoples weight loss stories that may help me but being a mum obv takes up all of my time. I do weigh all my food i take 1200 calories daily and i do 60 -90 minutes a day of exercising dependin on how long my son naps for x
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    No this is the first time ive been in here since i joined i actually only joined the sight for advice and other peoples weight loss stories that may help me but being a mum obv takes up all of my time. I do weigh all my food i take 1200 calories daily and i do 60 -90 minutes a day of exercising dependin on how long my son naps for x

I would strongly urge you to reconsider a long fast. Weight loss is not linear and we have stalls along the way. Could you try to increase your activity to create your deficit rather than restricting your food? I know its sometimes hard to make time, but having enough energy throughout the day is so important, as well as getting enough nutrients.
  • LisaWillBeFit2014
    Options
    Even in extreme religious fasts, it is NEVER advised to drink only water. There has to be some natural fruit and/or veggie juices added in there at a minimum, and unless you are going to be doing nothing but sleeping and praying, even then, folks have been known to faint, dry heave, and just pass out. Not to mention you're body will go into TOTAL starvation mode with nothing but water. This is a terrible idea. Absolutely no person with a brain would approve of this.
  • LisaWillBeFit2014
    Options
    You are NOT eating enough! 1200 cals plus long periods of exercise means your body isn't even netting 1200 cals per day, and it is never-unless under doctor supervision-a good idea to go below 1200 cals per day. You're body is trying to hold onto what ever fat is left because you are not eating enough!!!
  • LisaWillBeFit2014
    Options
    No, it just makes you have an eating disorder. TOTALLY impossible to get proper nutrition that way.
  • LisaWillBeFit2014
    Options
    Agree.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Even in extreme religious fasts, it is NEVER advised to drink only water. There has to be some natural fruit and/or veggie juices added in there at a minimum, and unless you are going to be doing nothing but sleeping and praying, even then, folks have been known to faint, dry heave, and just pass out. Not to mention you're body will go into TOTAL starvation mode with nothing but water. This is a terrible idea. Absolutely no person with a brain would approve of this.

Too late. Sounds like brain has gone.
  • fhy1993
    Options
    I'm gunna try just dieting and exercising like Sara said just ride it out and up my exercise and hopefully the weight gets moving again i might do two three days a week on fresh vegetable juice tho instead of fasting just have a couple days of less calories and more exercise
  • JBnyc99
    JBnyc99 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Agree.

Off topic,...

Lisawillbefit2014,...when posting, it's generally best to use the QUOTE feature so that everyone can see to which post you are replying.

Ok,...now back to Water World. Be sure to wait 30 mins or else you'll get cramps.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm gunna try just dieting and exercising like Sara said just ride it out and up my exercise and hopefully the weight gets moving again i might do two three days a week on fresh vegetable juice tho instead of fasting just have a couple days of less calories and more exercise

That is better but why are you trying to make yourself suffer when you don't need to? You don't deserve punishment. Use the site as it's made. You can eat and drink sensibly and still lose the weight. Anyway wishing you luck and good health :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.