Why do people complain the healthy food tastes bland?

Options

Replies

• Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Mweh, I have heard it so often: "Isn't it boring to have a salad everyday?" I just asked the same question back to them: "Isn't it boring to have a few cookies with your coffee every day?"

Some people just think they can't live without the sugary stuff, without even trying, thinking healthy is boring. But I enjoy my meals every single day, without sugar, without chemicals and without tons of sodium :smile:

Exactly, sodium is not the answer IMHO. Not good for you. Try using fresh herbs instead.... Maybe some Ms Dash if you do not want to do fresh herbs...

I do not completely agree with you! We need sodium, just not that much!

I know that we need sodium! Just that I'm looking from it as the food eaten throughout the day may already contain the daily recommendation and added salt isn't really needed. A little is fine. But my argument is "needing more salt" or "not enough salt" isn't the answer if a person is gauging taste as being good as needing salt. Guess I should have been clearer.

I'm sorry but salt makes food taste good. I have often been told I am a great cook and really my only secret is I know how to season food. It's really the only difference between food someone else has already made and how I take it back to the kitchen and "fix" it. All I do is add more salt usually.

I use to be an salt addict as well. I was never a real sweet tooth, but I learned to take way less and one can always choose for Himalayan salt. It tastes saltier then normal table salt, but got almost have the amount of sodium.

Yeah, I use Himalayan salt.

Like yesterday for lunch I cooked scramabeled eggs, and then made a salad with baby spinach, avocado and seeds, and then I just sprinkeled a little bit of Himalayan salt on top. It tasted amazing and was less than 400 calories.

I feel like my food now has more variety of flavour, while before I mght have bought a pie and chips for lunch.

I also eat a lot of berries which are low calorie and full of flavour. Nom nom nom nom.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It intrigues me.

I think that since I have begun to be more conscious of what I eat I actually enjoy my food more.

A meal can be low in calories AND delicious AND fulling.

And when I do have a treat I make sure it is something I am really going to enjoy.

Is it just some excuse that people use to not become more healthy?

Is it people's perception of what healthy food is?

Is it just that some people don't like food if it is not loaded with fat AND salt AND sugar?

What do you people think?

Do you find eating healthy is bland?
    You seem to be implying that healthy=low calorie and that healthy=low fat.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    cus they dont know how to cook and properly season their food. i see several recipes on here where people advise to season the food after it's cooked, no wonder their food is bland and tasteless.

also, there are WAY more spices out there than salt and black pepper. if you're just relying on those 2 then you are seriously limiting your flavor palette
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Operative word is "can".

In reality, most meals low in calories and fat and protein, aren't. And rightly so - they shouldn't be.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    the amount of calories in food (or lack thereof) =/= healthy or unhealthy

I really dislike this train of thought.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It intrigues me.

I think that since I have begun to be more conscious of what I eat I actually enjoy my food more.

And when I do have a treat I make sure it is something I am really going to enjoy.

Is it just that some people don't like food if it is not loaded with fat AND salt AND sugar?

What's wrong with fat, salt, and sugar?
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Most 'healthy' foods don't give the same instant high and generate the same cravings that sugar- and saturated-fat-laden foods do, so you don't have as much of an urge to keep stuffing your gob. Some people may call this boring, I think it's the way food should be.
  • tigersword
    Options
    the amount of calories in food (or lack thereof) =/= healthy or unhealthy

I really dislike this train of thought.
    This.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The food industry trolls? :wink: :laugh:

SORRY! I couldn't resist.

I'm one who thinks whole foods taste great. I can't really stomach the taste or smell of many heavily processed foods. To me one of the most vile smells in the world is Subway "bread".

But I can easily remember a time when most of I ate I wouldn't consider "healthy" and when fresh vegetables and fruits were a rare thing in my diet.

So glad I did the dietary 180. :drinker:
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Salt, when used correctly during cooking, should bring out the flavor of the food you're making, not make it taste "salty". And if food is seasoned right during preparation, there should be no reason to add salt at the table. I love to cook and eat at fine dining restaurants, so when I get food that's underseasoned (side-eyes my MIL), it's always disappointing and bland.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    cus they dont know how to cook and properly season their food. i see several recipes on here where people advise to season the food after it's cooked, no wonder their food is bland and tasteless.

also, there are WAY more spices out there than salt and black pepper. if you're just relying on those 2 then you are seriously limiting your flavor palette

Agreed! I have two full kitchen drawers that have nothing but Penzey's spices in them. :)
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Because fats and sugars light up the pleasure centers in our brain, and therefore our brain sends us the message that "this tastes awesome!". And because the junk food makers have spend millions to develop their foods for maximum sensory pleasure, taste and non-satiety so you'll eat a lot of it at a time and still want more.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Because fats and sugars light up the pleasure centers in our brain, and therefore our brain sends us the message that "this tastes awesome!". And because the junk food makers have spend millions to develop their foods for maximum sensory pleasure, taste and non-satiety so you'll eat a lot of it at a time and still want more.
    What? Are you suggesting that fat and sugar only exist in "junk food?"
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I'm sorry but salt makes food taste good. I have often been told I am a great cook and really my only secret is I know how to season food. It's really the only difference between food someone else has already made and how I take it back to the kitchen and "fix" it. All I do is add more salt usually.

I use to be an salt addict as well. I was never a real sweet tooth, but I learned to take way less and one can always choose for Himalayan salt. It tastes saltier then normal table salt, but got almost have the amount of sodium.

so MCD is an addict? a salt addict? this explains so.......much.

and what, pray tell, is so high and mighty about Himalayan salt?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

It's more a question that "some" salt can help with flavour, but it's not the only spice that one can use.

Fwiw since I started eating predominantly vegetarian my ability to taste the subtleties of various herbs and spices, and to determine how they draw out the flavours in what I'm eating has significantly improved.

I suspect it's more a question of conditioning.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    It intrigues me.

No, I find that pizza and chocolate and ice cream and hamburgers, and many other foods that are good for me, all taste good.
  • MrBryGuy
    MrBryGuy Posts: 115
    Options
    People are so used to foods that are full of stuff that isn't good for them to make food taste good. So when they taste organic/healthy foods, they won't taste the full flavor. When you quit eating bad foods and stick to more natural/healthy eating foods, your body will start to taste the natural flavors of healthy food.
  • LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It gives them an excuse not to eat the healthy stuff...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It intrigues me.

No, I find that pizza and chocolate and ice cream and hamburgers, and many other foods that are good for me, all taste good.

well if you keep that attitude up you're going to have a hard time looking down your nose at people
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It intrigues me.

well if you keep that attitude up you're going to have a hard time looking down your nose at people

#foodsnobberydonewrong