Why do people complain the healthy food tastes bland?

Options

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Most 'healthy' foods don't give the same instant high and generate the same cravings that sugar- and saturated-fat-laden foods do, so you don't have as much of an urge to keep stuffing your gob. Some people may call this boring, I think it's the way food should be.

Good one :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    What's healthy food?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

I'm sorry but salt makes food taste good. I have often been told I am a great cook and really my only secret is I know how to season food. It's really the only difference between food someone else has already made and how I take it back to the kitchen and "fix" it. All I do is add more salt usually.

I use to be an salt addict as well. I was never a real sweet tooth, but I learned to take way less and one can always choose for Himalayan salt. It tastes saltier then normal table salt, but got almost have the amount of sodium.

so MCD is an addict? a salt addict? this explains so.......much.

and what, pray tell, is so high and mighty about Himalayan salt?

You answered your own question.
  • MerlinWilliams
    MerlinWilliams Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It intrigues me.

I think that since I have begun to be more conscious of what I eat I actually enjoy my food more.

A meal can be low in calories AND delicious AND fulling.

And when I do have a treat I make sure it is something I am really going to enjoy.

Is it just some excuse that people use to not become more healthy?

Is it people's perception of what healthy food is?

Is it just that some people don't like food if it is not loaded with fat AND salt AND sugar?

What do you people think?

Do you find eating healthy is bland?
    You seem to be implying that healthy=low calorie and that healthy=low fat.

This!^

/endthread
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    A lot of it IS bland. You have to add flavor. Unhealthy food typically has a lot of fat. Fat=flavor. Or same scenario, sugar. Or salt.

I have found since I eat better, I am shocked with how sweet or salty things are. The sweetness stings my teeth!
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Can someone let me know too what are the magical properties of Himalayan Salt.....I've seen in the shop it's hideously expensive ..But IT'S PINK.....does that mean it's magical????
  • TheMOC
    TheMOC Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It really depends on who's cooking. For example, leaner meats-fish and chicken-are much less forgiving than something with a higher fat content. They are easier to overcook and dry out. In the hands of someone who is unexpierenced and doesn't know how to season properly, these can be quite bland and tasteless. Overcooked fish is downright vile. :sick:

If someone tries to tell me unseasoned, skinless chicken breast is good, they're either a) full of it or b) have no palate.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    It intrigues me.

I think that since I have begun to be more conscious of what I eat I actually enjoy my food more.

And when I do have a treat I make sure it is something I am really going to enjoy.

Is it just that some people don't like food if it is not loaded with fat AND salt AND sugar?

No, I find that pizza and chocolate and ice cream and hamburgers, and many other foods that are good for me, all taste good.

well if you keep that attitude up you're going to have a hard time looking down your nose at people

#foodsnobberydonewrong
    Pizza fuels all the awesome things I want to do. From what I've seen on these forums, "clean" foods do not fuel anything worth doing.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Mweh, I have heard it so often: "Isn't it boring to have a salad everyday?" I just asked the same question back to them: "Isn't it boring to have a few cookies with your coffee every day?"

Some people just think they can't live without the sugary stuff, without even trying, thinking healthy is boring. But I enjoy my meals every single day, without sugar, without chemicals and without tons of sodium :smile:
    ^^THis!!^^
    Well said.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    +1
    Read David Kessler's "The End of Overeating". Very interesting (and it's science).
    Of course, the fact that eating "badly" is easy doesn't mean you have to do it (and he goes into that as well).

Umm, I did something wrong. This was in reply to eld2310's post on the previous page.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It intrigues me.

No, I find that pizza and chocolate and ice cream and hamburgers, and many other foods that are good for me, all taste good.

well if you keep that attitude up you're going to have a hard time looking down your nose at people

#foodsnobberydonewrong
    Pizza fuels all the awesome things I want to do. From what I've seen on these forums, "clean" foods do not fuel anything worth doing.

Bro, do you even condescend?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    and what, pray tell, is so high and mighty about Himalayan salt?

You answered your own question.

now it all makes sense....

ed0.gif
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I like both.

I love tomatoes, beetroot, butternut squash etc etc... I also love pizza, takeaway Chinese etc etc.
  • shaneamckinney
    shaneamckinney Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sodium goals are in my opinion almost impossible to achieve, period.

Food is fuel, eat clean, but eat appropriate for your activity and that is "healthy food", the rest is a gimmick.

I'll give you an example:

You plan to sit behind a desk all day. Do you A.) eat a chicken breast and asparagus for lunch or do you B.) eat 2-3 slices of pizza?

The healthy answer is A. You are eating proper for your activity. Pizza is carbs and fat, which has it's place. B might be appropriate if you planned to go for a jog or weight train.

Healthy food, I can't even think of what that might be? I eat very clean, so I assume this is what is meant, it surely is not what most packages label "healthy".

Eating clean looks like this: (all fresh, organic where possible)

Egg whites, steel cut oats, chicken breast (no seasoning), brown rice, beans, peanut butter/almonds, apples, asparagus, cottage cheese, whey protein isolate, and about a gallon of water per day. Repeat.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sodium goals are in my opinion almost impossible to achieve, period.

Food is fuel, eat clean, but eat appropriate for your activity and that is "healthy food", the rest is a gimmick.

I'll give you an example:

You plan to sit behind a desk all day. Do you A.) eat a chicken breast and asparagus for lunch or do you B.) eat 2-3 slices of pizza?

The healthy answer is A. You are eating proper for your activity. Pizza is carbs and fat, which has it's place. B might be appropriate if you planned to go for a jog or weight train.

Healthy food, I can't even think of what that might be? I eat very clean, so I assume this is what is meant, it surely is not what most packages label "healthy".

Eating clean looks like this: (all fresh, organic where possible)

Egg whites, steel cut oats, chicken breast (no seasoning), brown rice, beans, peanut butter/almonds, apples, asparagus, cottage cheese, whey protein isolate, and about a gallon of water per day. Repeat.
    Uhh, no. Eating healthy means eating good healthy fat, like whole eggs. And no seasoning on chicken breast? This is exactly the opposite of eating healthy. This is deprivation for the sake of deprivation.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    To me, eating clean means eating things that don't screw up your macros. So for some folks, pizza and beer are "clean", for others, they aren't.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Because most people suck at cooking.
  • Lynnzybinzy
    Lynnzybinzy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think it's because they have killed their taste buds by eating so much salty, fatty, sugary junk that they do not know or remember what real food is suppose to taste like.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Because most people suck at cooking.

If they suck at cooking then it isn't really going to matter what they try making - "healthy or not so healthy" food. I think this was a fail.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I think it's because they have killed their taste buds by eating so much salty, fatty, sugary junk that they do not know or remember what real food is suppose to taste like.

IMO that is exactly backwards. Fatty and salty and sugary is exactly what our bodies are programmed to crave - so it is by definition "healthy".

What makes it unhealthy is, in our affluent society, eating it too excess.