Why do people complain the healthy food tastes bland?

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sodium goals are in my opinion almost impossible to achieve, period.

It's easier if you cook your own food, and season on the plate. Cooking with salt seems to dilute it's flavor potential, but the body doesn't know that. Add salt at the table, not the stove and you get all the flavor and none of negative side effects.
    If you taste the salt, you've put too much. Salt doesn't make foods taste salty, it makes food taste brighter. Oversalted food is just as bad as undersalted food.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    No. All oats are cut with steel. "Steel cut oats" are just that, they take the whole oat and cut it. "Regular" oats are "rolled oats," which means after cutting, they are "rolled" aka flattened, essentially with giant rolling pins.

It's why I laugh, steel cut oats are less processed, yet more expensive. No real difference nutritionally.

but but but, it's so much easier to be a food snob if you only eat things with extra words in front of the thing. steel cut oats instead of oatmeal. himilayan salt instead of salt. mineral water instead of water. and the catchall, whole foods instead of you know, foods.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    No. All oats are cut with steel. "Steel cut oats" are just that, they take the whole oat and cut it. "Regular" oats are "rolled oats," which means after cutting, they are "rolled" aka flattened, essentially with giant rolling pins.

It's why I laugh, steel cut oats are less processed, yet more expensive. No real difference nutritionally.

but but but, it's so much easier to be a food snob if you only eat things with extra words in front of the thing. steel cut oats instead of oatmeal. himilayan salt instead of salt. mineral water instead of water. and the catchall, whole foods instead of you know, foods.

tumblr_inline_mm6t6oIKHG1qz4rgp.gif
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

I have decided that you may actually know everything. Can you tell me a way to make lentils palatable that is not soup? Salt is more than welcome. :flowerforyou: (No snark, no sarcasm)
  • supermuslimgirl
    supermuslimgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    seriously, all of you people who are only cooking with salt (even if it's himalayan blessed by the pink buddha of sodium) have you really never heard of parsley, curry, cumin, harissa, star anise, cinnamon, cilantro, tumeric, saffron, peppercorns, chives, dill, fennel, sage, thyme, rosemary, cardamom, lemongrass, ginger, etc?

:brokenheart:

This!!!! I love spice and so does my whole family lots of garlic too don't forget the garlic!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Can someone let me know too what are the magical properties of Himalayan Salt.....I've seen in the shop it's hideously expensive ..But IT'S PINK.....does that mean it's magical????

It just contains different minerals apart from sodium chloride, and I guess some of those minerals make it pink.

I think her question revolved more around why it's supposedly so much better than salt.

Sort of the way I'm trying to figure how oats cut with steel implements are magically better than oats cut with....cut with.....what the hell are regular oats cut with, if not with steel?
    http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/are-steel-cut-oats-healthier
    Oat groats: All types of oat cereals start out as groats, which are hulled, toasted oat grains. (Removing the hull doesn’t remove the bran, by the way.)

Steel-cut (Irish) oats: These are the least processed type of oat cereal. The toasted oat groats are simply chopped into chunks about the size of a sesame seed.

Stone-ground (Scottish) oats: These are the same as Irish oats but they are ground into smaller pieces, closer to the size of a poppy seed. Both Irish and Scottish oats have to be cooked before you eat them. Irish oats take about 45 minutes to cook, Scottish oats about half that long (because they are smaller).

Old-fashioned rolled oats: These are made by steaming the toasted groats and then running them between rollers to create flakes. Rolled oats can be eaten as is or cooked into oatmeal (it takes about ten minutes).

- See more at: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/are-steel-cut-oats-healthier#sthash.RcMYLdkv.dpuf
    The difference is pretty minimal. They taste better, imho, and are digested *slightly* slower. Otherwise, not much.
    BUT the difference between REAL oatmeal and quick oats, instant oatmeal etc is pretty big.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

I have decided that you may actually know everything. Can you tell me a way to make lentils palatable that is not soup? Salt is more than welcome. :flowerforyou: (No snark, no sarcasm)

Rolled oats are also heated...so if you go with the rawist theory that heat kills nutrients, steel cut would be more nutritious. Also less processed. But the you get the theory that you can't digest or absorb nutrients from grains, so steel cut would be harder to digest and it's unlikely you'd absorb nutrients from them anyway.

Who knows.

Lentils...soak them, sprout them, turn them in to Dahl. Or cook with chilli, chorizo, loads of herbs, cans of tomato, reduce it down, add raw prawns in the last 5-10 minutes until cooked. Yum.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Can someone let me know too what are the magical properties of Himalayan Salt.....I've seen in the shop it's hideously expensive ..But IT'S PINK.....does that mean it's magical????

It just contains different minerals apart from sodium chloride, and I guess some of those minerals make it pink.

I think her question revolved more around why it's supposedly so much better than salt.

Sort of the way I'm trying to figure how oats cut with steel implements are magically better than oats cut with....cut with.....what the hell are regular oats cut with, if not with steel?
    http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/are-steel-cut-oats-healthier
    Oat groats: All types of oat cereals start out as groats, which are hulled, toasted oat grains. (Removing the hull doesn’t remove the bran, by the way.)

Steel-cut (Irish) oats: These are the least processed type of oat cereal. The toasted oat groats are simply chopped into chunks about the size of a sesame seed.

Stone-ground (Scottish) oats: These are the same as Irish oats but they are ground into smaller pieces, closer to the size of a poppy seed. Both Irish and Scottish oats have to be cooked before you eat them. Irish oats take about 45 minutes to cook, Scottish oats about half that long (because they are smaller).

Old-fashioned rolled oats: These are made by steaming the toasted groats and then running them between rollers to create flakes. Rolled oats can be eaten as is or cooked into oatmeal (it takes about ten minutes).

- See more at: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/are-steel-cut-oats-healthier#sthash.RcMYLdkv.dpuf
    The difference is pretty minimal. They taste better, imho, and are digested *slightly* slower. Otherwise, not much.

this was actually quite helpful. so it's rougher and takes longer to cook? so it's similar to the way brown rice is different from white rice? if that's the case, i feel better about passing on the steel cut oats fad, because i gave brown rice a serious try two years ago and HATED it. wasted money on a rice cooker and everything. pain in the *kitten* to make and tasted like dirt.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

this was actually quite helpful. so it's rougher and takes longer to cook? so it's similar to the way brown rice is different from white rice? if that's the case, i feel better about passing on the steel cut oats fad, because i gave brown rice a serious try two years ago and HATED it. wasted money on a rice cooker and everything. pain in the *kitten* to make and tasted like dirt.
    I edited... read that too. Quick oats (instant etc) are very different.

Brown rice as a whole is better, but not by leaps and bounds. For me, brown rice doesn't make me crave sweets, white rice does, ymmv.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    The oat thing is more about texture for me than anything else - and a stronger oaty flavour, especially if the oats are toasted on a baking sheet first (and you can add a little salt towards the end of cooking, too). Can never find steel cut oats but I at least prefer to eat the jumbo rolled oats (they're whole, not flaked) - takes a bit longer to cook/needs soaking but is soooo much more rewarding than the quick oat mush that people pass off as porridge.

edit: is brown rice much different to cook than white rice? just boil it, no need for a rice cooker. you can even get microwave brown rice! guess it doesn't help if you don't like the taste, though...personally I prefer it to white.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    because instead of eating healthful food they are eating healthy food. Oh and forgetting cheese.
  • shaneamckinney
    shaneamckinney Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Damn this is a long one.

Steel-cut, ok.
    Digestion is exactly correct. The election to consume "steel-cut" oats has to do with carbohydrates, specifically complex versus simple carbohydrates (or slow versus fast). Depending on your desired results, this little detail is actually important.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    The oat thing is more about texture for me than anything else - and a stronger oaty flavour, especially if the oats are toasted on a baking sheet first (and you can add a little salt towards the end of cooking, too). Can never find steel cut oats but I at least prefer to eat the jumbo rolled oats (they're whole, not flaked) - takes a bit longer to cook/needs soaking but is soooo much more rewarding than the quick oat mush that people pass off as porridge.

edit: is brown rice much different to cook than white rice? just boil it, no need for a rice cooker. you can even get microwave brown rice! guess it doesn't help if you don't like the taste, though...personally I prefer it to white.

You can boil or use a rice cooker for either white rice or brown rice. Brown rice is nuttier in taste and texture than white rice. It's okay, but I'm not parting with my white rice ever.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

its supposed to have a little bit of iron oxide and some other minerals

Oh and another interesting tid bit it's Jurassic ocean salt why it's older than T-Rex
  • PikaKnight
    Options

It has a lighter taste, I've found, compared to regular salt. I like using different salts not because I think they are so much healthier (or whatever the fad terms are being thrown around these days) but because of the different tastes they incorporate or bring out of foods. There is a smoky black salt I love that gives off a smokey flavor to foods (obvious name is obvious :P) and some salts bring out the sweetness of fruits better than others.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Reading the Sabine supplied article, the difference between steel cut and rolled oats is the steaming and rolling of the rolled oats. Two things come to my mind.

1. Steaming and rolling seem to a pretty weak claim to say something is "more processed"

2. How in the heck would that change the chemical nature of the oat from a complex carb to a simple one???
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    I blame biology giving us taste buds. It's all India's fault and possibly the Mediterranean they had to go and season everything up.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

It has a lighter taste, I've found, compared to regular salt. I like using different salts not because I think they are so much healthier (or whatever the fad terms are being thrown around these days) but because of the different tastes they incorporate or bring out of foods. There is a smoky black salt I love that gives off a smokey flavor to foods (obvious name is obvious :P) and some salts bring out the sweetness of fruits better than others.

you have a better palate than me besides the smoked salt they all taste like salt. Oh, and another lesson to learn don't just put Himalayan salt chunks in you food and expect them to dissolve ....bad mistake unless you like bits of hard rock salt in your food.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Oh, and 3. The instant oats the are ground finer. That seems okay, as my teeth were going to be tasked with further grinding of the whole oats. And I was going to add sugar and stuff to the anyway. So quaker instant, high fiber, maple and brown sugar ftw!!
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Oh, and 3. The instant oats the are ground finer. That seems okay, as my teeth were going to be tasked with further grinding of the whole oats. And I was going to add sugar and stuff to the anyway. So quaker instant, high fiber, maple and brown sugar ftw!!

I actually switched from Quaker to Oats Revolution/Oat Fit. I actually like some of their flavors better than Quaker. But most of all...I LOVE the cheaper pricing! :laugh: