do people make comments on what you eat?

Options
I often get. Are you allowed to eat that, you shouldn't eat that and can you eat that? I eat what ever I want I don't eat clean low fat or low carb. I have lost over 69 lbs. since starting on here in Sept 2012 but since my heaviest March 2012 I have lost over 81 lbs. If I want a cookie I will eat one if I want a piece of Chocolate I eat one and If I want ice cream I eat it. Ever since I started on here I wanted to see if I could lose the weight without depriving myself of all the foods I like. It has worked for me. I don't plan to change.

What comments have people made about what you eat?

Replies

• Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I get more of the "Why are you not eating". But I have a feeling that day is coming.
  • amazon35
    amazon35 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    People constantly remark or question what I'm eating. And they have enough nerve to be the same size as me or larger with a Mcdonalds bag. I'm walking out with popcorn or a large sweet potato w butter and splenda. Seriously!!!!
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes I get it a lot - particularly at work. The tutting and finger wagging and knowing sideway glances! You're doing this right in my opinion - it's a lifestyle not a diet. Slow but sure is much more likely to become a lifelong habit than depriving yourself and missing out on nice meals with friends and the odd bit of chocolate. I log everything I eat and it's not often I go over. I've lost 42llb since January this year and I'm very happy with that. Good luck :-)
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Well, my SO is always asking "what are you eating now?" and "You're eating AGAIN?" I just smile and nod and eat anyway. I eat about 6 times a day but he doesn't see me do that during the week at work. I figure if I'm the one doing the lifestyle change and if eating often does what it needs to do, then I'm doing it.

I think most people have skewed ideas about dieting and exercise and project their inabilities to control portions onto people who can. The word "dieting" has a bad rap, but in my own mind, it just means being conscious about what my diet consists of.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I've recently had ppl say to me "you need some weight on you" or "have a doughnut". Ironic since it was having the doughnuts that made me put the weight on in the first place.
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    All the time.. in fact I got one today while I was at work. I was eating some potato chips and someone commented "Oooh I caught you!".. I said "what caught me eating?? Oooh! lol. he said no I caught you cheating. I said I wasnt cheating.. I logged every chip that I put in my face."
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Well, my SO is always asking "what are you eating now?" and "You're eating AGAIN?" I just smile and nod and eat anyway. I eat about 6 times a day but he doesn't see me do that during the week at work. I figure if I'm the one doing the lifestyle change and if eating often does what it needs to do, then I'm doing it.

I think most people have skewed ideas about dieting and exercise and project their inabilities to control portions onto people who can. The word "dieting" has a bad rap, but in my own mind, it just means being conscious about what my diet consists of.
    What exactly does eating often "need to do?"
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Nothing bad on my end. My group mostly just helps keep me in check with my macros. Which I totally appreciate. I would unfriend fanatics, can't deal. The sad part is I'm probably verging on fanatical (with somewhat of a regression as of late).

If you're not attached, find new friends.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Yes people do. With me, it's usually questions about how can I have a Starbucks every day and still lose weight. Then they make a face when I tell them all I do is count calories, kinda like they don't believe me. Oh well.........
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Because I am out on the road all day and stop at a supermarket for lunch, I rarely get any grief. When I do have lunch at the office, they have seen the results and rarely say anything. Unless I go back with chip shop cod and chips and wave it under their noses! Fortunately, they are mostly a pretty health-conscious bunch and let me get on with it!! I guess I am lucky after what I read some people have to put up with. If that were the case I would be telling people to worry more about themselves - at least I [that is YOU] am doing something positive for my [YOUR] health.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    People haven't commented about my diary. I eat 'crap' and love it. I just make sure my body is properly nourished. If I give up stuff I like, this may lead to pigging out due to self deprivation. I'm not on a weight loss diet, I'm on a lifetime diet, hence I have to eat in a manner that will sustain my life, happiness and mental and physical stability. With that being said, people who do not know my non restrictive eating patterns will be amazed when they see me eating foods that in their eyes do not match the type of body I have. I've surprised people at work, waiters and waitresses alike. It is fun educating people this way...
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Yes and I shovel it in anyway.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Outside of MFP people don't make comments about my eating habits. They know better...:grumble:

MY MFP's friends are awesome and so are their comments.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    What exactly does eating often "need to do?"

Helps keep my blood sugar level, primarily. It also keeps my energy levels up. It's also easier for me to plan a day's worth of food to take to work so I don't slip up and pig out on Taco Bell.
  • ThatOperaGirl
    ThatOperaGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I get it the other way around quite a lot! For example, the other day I was eating one of my favourite snacks -- a rice cake with peanut butter, banana, and cinnamon. A friend of mine was having a cupcake and was all, "Ooooh, you're always so healthy! We need to get some cake into you!" And I was just thinking ... no, you don't. We need to get my rice cake with peanut butter, banana, and cinnamon into me because it's exactly what I feel like at the moment and it's freaking delicious and honestly, your cupcake doesn't look tempting at all.

I mean, I like chocolate and cake and all things dessert-y, but I just don't *crave* them enough to want to eat them every day. Maybe I'm lucky that I genuinely like a lot of foods that people perceive as "healthy". I will eat cottage cheese straight out of the tub, get excited about carrot sticks, and eat blueberries like candy. And I promise I don't eat food that I don't enjoy just to be "good". I certainly don't feel as if I'm depriving myself if I say no to an average-looking cupcake. (If it's a really decadent and delicious cupcake, though ... now that's a different story! :smile: )
  • Skinnydesirs
    Options
    I've recently had ppl say to me "you need some weight on you" or "have a doughnut". Ironic since it was having the doughnuts that made me put the weight on in the first place.

I get that as well, I also get "have you lost MORE weight" and "you're too skinny now". It kinda makes me annoyed because I think it's my choice about what to weigh and what to look like, I'm the one who sees all my lumps and bumps when I'm not wearing clothes! I also have people ask me if I'm anorexic because I lost a lot of weight really quickly and I don't like to eat in front of people! but I eat so much crap, people should stop judging what others do and don't eat!
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    On MFP I have never gotten anything but helpful comments about my eating habits... thanks you guys :flowerforyou: :heart:

Outside of MFP people are all over the map.

There really is no winning.

I am not a super "clean" eater but if I pass on the fast food or pizza etc even once in a while some people act like I have some kind of horrible ED... same if I eat 2-3 slices of pizza instead of 4 or 5... or if I eat 2 burgers from a drive through but don't also have a large fries or onion rings. The exact same people will then look at me cross eyed if I have a tiny serving of ice cream or something.

People don't know what they don't know and when it comes to health, fitness, weight loss, etc, they often really really really believe they do know even when they don't.

I just take it all with a grain of salt. I know what I am doing and have support from others on here that do too, I focus on that.
  • bleumuffin
    Options
    I used to get comments while trying(and failing) to stealthily sneak food. Pretty understandable considering the position I'm in now. :tongue: But that was when I was a little(bigish) girl.

Now I never get comments on what I eat, at least in real life. I suppose everyone figures I'm grown enough to eat what I want.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    No one has made any comments about what I'm eating. Why would they?

I'm not trying to hide my eating habits, but I certainly didn't advertise that I was trying to lose weight - why invite that kind of scrutiny?
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Yes, all to often my SO will say something like - you can have fruit today ? I didn`t know you could eat that ! shouldn`t you not eat to much meat? I just roll my eyes , tell him to mind his business and I keep eating till I am satisfied lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!