do people make comments on what you eat?

Options

Replies

• drapisking
    drapisking Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    People don't comment often, after all most of us that work in the back of the shop have equally appalling diets, but every time there's pizza involved people comment on the quantity I consume. Apparently I'm the only person that considers one large pizza to be a single serving.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I've recently had ppl say to me "you need some weight on you" or "have a doughnut". Ironic since it was having the doughnuts that made me put the weight on in the first place.

How do you deal with it? I've been having a lot of trouble in the workplace lately. I was never heavy, but I certainly wasn't healthy (cardiovascular health of a sloth). So I started running, eating better and of course lost a bit of weight because of these changes. Now I am getting some rather upsetting comments from work - my boss even pulled me aside and asked if I had developed anorexia. I tried to smile and explain that I am in fact eating more food, just better - but it all sounds so defensive.

Anyone else in this position? Any advice would be very helpful.

I have also been told by someone that they thought I was anorexic - I was ridiculously lean as it was around comp time, but definitely had decent muscle. I showed her a photo of what I looked like in my bikini and she was shocked and apologised profusely. She didn't know me very well, and another staff member jumped in to my defence, even though making me something of a joke as she went on about how much I ate.

if you're eating healthier food, it's likely you're eating more like you said - I don't think what you said sounds defensive, just the truth! say you're eating more nutrient dense foods to have a positive impact on your health and vitality? :) your boss should be happy - you're likely to have more energy, be more productive, and have less sick days!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I'm often asked how I can eat twice as much as them and still look like I do :bigsmile:
  • KayNowayJose
    KayNowayJose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Comments are often accompanied by looks that are both envious and disgusted. I don't know anyone at my place of work that eats as clean as I do. I don't care about their meals but my meals are a topic of discussion almost every time.

Of all the comments I get, the one that irritates me the most is, "You're so GOOD!" I have no idea how eating healthfully = being good.

This.

Exactly in the workplace. I get mostly odd looks, and comments about my food choices. I understand, I mean at least one person a day in the office is eating fast food, so we have entirely different food choices, but still, I don't comment on their food options. But...that's life. :-/
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I always comment on what people eat. Shows I actually bother to care in a world with lazy "like" buttons.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    yes, a lot. i work as a bartender and i don't get breaks so i eat in front of my customers. they always ask me what i am eating and then say "gross" or "that's too healthy for me." I also eat all the time. I don't like to feel overly full and I mostly eat proteins, lean meats, fruits, veggies, & protein supplements so I have to eat a lot of food to get to my TDEE -20%.

Also they try to bring me food and then get upset when I won't make an exception and eat it. I don't eat bread/pasta/breaded things or sweets (except protein bars) so they think I am a weirdo who eats basically nothing except protein drinks and carrots.

Regarding MFP, yes, and it doesn't bother me now. Last year it did though because I got a deer and ate it regularly and some people gave me a hard time about that. Everyone eats wild meat where I live; it's part of the culture and how I was raised. It offended me so I put even put a notation on my profile that people shouldn't add me if they have a problem with my eating wild game.
  • pattyci
    pattyci Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Not really. I do have occasional treats but limit the amount. If I quit all of my favorites my loss will not be sustained.
    Don't worry about what others say. If it's working for you, how can anyone argue with your process? Besides, those are usually the people who judge things they shouldn't and offer opinions no one wants to hear. :grumble: My advice: "Forget 'em!" :flowerforyou:
  • Shydivah
    Shydivah Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No, because I made a choice to not tell anyone I have changed my eating habits.
  • asimmons221
    asimmons221 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    nothing negative on mfp, but I get comments at work. Mainly nothing to bad, just the usual gesture of how my soup and salad doesn't fit the mold of our manly workshop.
  • mbernardy
    mbernardy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. Hopefully you can find some support on MFP :-)
  • Bobbiezilla
    Bobbiezilla Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I love the encouraging comments from my MFP friends! I've never had anyone say anything negative. The whole point of having friends on MFP is for encouragment, I would simply unfriend them. I eat whatever I want and fit it into my calories for the day/week. Some of my friends may be eating "clean" or low carb or whatever, but I wouldn't critcize their choices and would expect the same from them. If they or I ask for advice then that's different, but I'm happy that they are meeting their own goals and I'm meeting mine! My husband pokes fun when I count my cheezies, but it's all in good fun.....I shake my butt at him and say whatever it's working ;-)
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I've recently had ppl say to me "you need some weight on you" or "have a doughnut". Ironic since it was having the doughnuts that made me put the weight on in the first place.

How do you deal with it? I've been having a lot of trouble in the workplace lately. I was never heavy, but I certainly wasn't healthy (cardiovascular health of a sloth). So I started running, eating better and of course lost a bit of weight because of these changes. Now I am getting some rather upsetting comments from work - my boss even pulled me aside and asked if I had developed anorexia. I tried to smile and explain that I am in fact eating more food, just better - but it all sounds so defensive.

Anyone else in this position? Any advice would be very helpful.

I just say I refuse to eat the food at work as it's so unhealthy (even if it is free!) and I eat more than them. At the end of the day it's none of their business. They're not my friends they're work colleagues. Their opinions only matter so much to me tbh.
  • Beckyann1971
    Options
    Yesterday someone offered me a cookie for the tenth time. I kept saying no. ( I have a gluten sensitivity and have shared that fact when declining). The last time she asked I said no and she said "that's why you're so skinny huh?" I said no, its because I count calories. Her reply was " Oh I have tried that."
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I got a salad at my sister's brithday dinner. My dad looked at me like "you know you can order whatever you want, right, don't worry about the price" and everyone else was like.. "That's it?"

I don't like drawing attention to myself, so usually if I am planning on going out for food I either save calories for it or eat less later to make up for it, but that salad legitimately looked pretty good (and it was)...
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Here at MFP... I've gotten called out once or twice missing meals which made me realize on those days my stress + not eating had the whole hangry bit setting in... so snack in the tote it is and I'm set if I'm on the go.

Outside in my life.... all the time. More negative than positive.

I get a ton of "A <insert whatever I don't want to eat> is not going to kill you"

or people just flat out putting food in front of me.... like literally last week someone sat a slice of pizza 2ft in front of me, a friend put it back in the box and then the food pusher did it again. So that led into a whole "Oh you don't like pizza?" conversation... where I more or less ended up explaining to the group (which has 2 folks that are in the 3/400 lb range) that I log my calories because I am trying to get healthy again....with glares from a few people.

My son is pretty funny with it when he catches me eating something like chips or crackers but he knows if it's tupperware or a snacksize bag it's all pre-measured and I'm logging it. I even got a "Really Mom?!?!" yesterday because I was midway through a sugar cookie we'd baked and was logging it in.
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I've had people make comments when seeing me eat something they perceive to be healthy as "Oh are you on a diet?' with this hopeful expression that I am on the "road to recovery" from being a raging fatty. As if I would never eat carrots because they are yummy, but because I'm being "good".

I get tired of the entire amount of morality that people apply to themselves based on what they eat.

One of my most horrified moments of someone commenting on my food was as an 11 year old girl being. I was at lunch and this boy asked me for my pizza and when I said no he said "That's why you only lost 5 lbs last week". My mom had forced me to go to this weight loss group and they would post your weight loss in our newspaper and he must have read it. I was mortified since I had a huge crush on him.
  • Maisylouise2
    Maisylouise2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Not that it's anybody's business what ANYBODY eats... But if you feel you must retort- play the " I have high blood pressure and cannot have salt" card. Educate them about the insidious amount of salt in ( whatever they're trying to push) and you simply cannot have it. Doctor's orders. That should shut their pie- holes!
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    "Your coffee has too many calories."
    "Are you allowed to eat that?"
    "Why would you go get a burger after you went to the gym?"
    "Oh, I guess it's time for you to go eat your grape and a piece of lettuce."
    "I guess Christmas is going to be a lean one for you this year."
    "Why are you going to gain it all back?" (someone commented I shouldn't lose more and when I told them I was bulking, this was their comment)
    "It's not healthy to weigh your food and count calories like that." (My response was it was less healthy to have a 42" waist.)
  • infamousdrew76
    infamousdrew76 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Nobody says **** to me! My guess is the only reason people say anything to you is the fact you flaunt what you're trying to do! Otherwise, why would anyone know!
  • shaydenee
    Options
    All the time... especially because I'm diabetic. People don't always know what's healthy though, my collegues question me for eating strawberries but offer me cookies 2 minutes later.

Yesterday i got told "but that has calories in it", lol yes it does, I cant live on water alone.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!