do people make comments on what you eat?

Options

Replies

• wardances
    Options
    Today was my first day of truly putting forth effort into losing weight and I didn't even make it to lunch time before someone noticed. I ate lunch, went to deliver a home-cooked meal to my grandfather, and immediately him and two of my family members berated me for walking (it was a ten minute walk) in the cold and wind. Then, since they were cooking their own meal, I was told no less than six times in less than ten minutes to "Grab some food and eat!" I politely declined until it became too much and I finally let out an exasperated "Guys! I'm not hungry!" which immediately had everyone berating me for being 'disrespectful and rude.' I'm really determined to lose this weight though so even though they all glared at me I didn't touch a single morsel. For dinner, my husband made a comment about how I was eating everything out of measuring cups which I just passed off as me liking small cute dishes. He's gullible so, for now, he believes me. It'll be hard doing this without support but I am determined! :)
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Yep.
    I'm finicky. I eat many of the same things often.
    People have always asked how I can stand eating most of the same stuff all the time.
    It just doesn't bother me, really.

Otherwise, I get a lot of "what? You ate PIZZA?! That's not 'diet food'!

I say, I know... I'm not on a diet.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My friends are very supportive and don't say things about what I eat. One of the things I get that is weird is when we are going over to someone's house for dinner they'll ask me if they fix such and such will I be able to have it on my diet. I just can't seem to convince people that I don't really eat special foods. I just count my calories and if I occasionally go over, so be it. I don't indulge in foods that have little benefit often, but I do indulge in them. If I'm going to have a piece of cake or pie, it must be exceptionally good or I recent using my calories on it. My husband has quit asking if I can have something. His favorite night time snack is popcorn. He used to say can you have popcorn. Now he just asks if I want some. So if I have the calories and feel like a snack I join him, if not I don't and he's good with that.

I've been at this since the 2nd week of January this year and I've lost 56 pounds, I really feel good about that. I little bit over a pound a week. Seems like I'm on schedule to me.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Comments are often accompanied by looks that are both envious and disgusted. I don't know anyone at my place of work that eats as clean as I do. I don't care about their meals but my meals are a topic of discussion almost every time.

Of all the comments I get, the one that irritates me the most is, "You're so GOOD!" I have no idea how eating healthfully = being good.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    My friends haven't really said anything negative about my diary.

Sometimes they are curious about an off-the-wall food but no negativity.

I think it may have something to do with certain people's personalities more than with what you are eating.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Sometimes...but a death glare usually causes them to back off...if not, I simply remind them that I lost 45lbs eating exactly what I am eating...
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    happily no. Unless its someone who knows my results so far teasing a bit I have no haters. I love that I am surrounded by supporters. The other day someone told me o looked gteat and asked how I did it. I told her about MFP and almost slapped myself when I told her I still had 20 to go thinking "here it comes; she's going to say you don't need to do that and criticize you" but she simply repeated, "well, you look great". It felt amazing.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Yep. Not all the time but I have had it happen. No one on my friends list has done it...Just people in real life, friends, family, work colleagues.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Well...if people commenting here on what you eat bothers someone, there is something you can do about that, isn't there?
  • Pandora_King
    Options
    No but my MIL always offers us baking when we are over and I always say I can't and she guilt trips me so bad.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I often get comments from people like "Aren't you on a diet" - I just say no, I'm counting calories!
    It's a whole mind shift from being on a "diet" to choosing and eating within limits.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Even though I haven't been following a weight loss diet for quite awhile, I still have people ask me, whenever they see me eating something "bad" like a bowl of ice cream or a brownie, "I thought you were on a diet?" Hell, one of my cousins asked me that when he came over to my house the day after Thanksgiving and I was eating a big slice of leftover cake.

This is annoying as hell because A.) My eating habits and whether I'm trying to gain, lose, etc. really isn't any of their business and B.) Even if I was trying to lose weight, I could still eat that brownie or ice cream.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I will not let them bring me down because they are jealous. :)
  • SNLover87
    SNLover87 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I get comments like that all the time in my daily life and occasionally on here. On MFP, I've defriended people over being judgemental about what I eat. I've lost almost 60 lbs, so clearly I know what I'm doing, and if I wanted anyone's input about it I would ask.

In my daily life, I try to follow a judgy comment with a snarky reply. "How can you lose weight eating that?" "I don't know, why don't you ask the 56 lbs I lost, if you can find them."

I think it's rude regardless, but everyone has a (sometimes very strong) opinion about how one should lose weight. There are people who eat very healthy and lose, and there are people who eat very unhealthy and lose, it's all about deficit. I personally like to eat better because it makes me feel better, but I'm not going to get on anyone else's case for doing something different.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    People never commented on my food before I lost weight.

Since losing weight, and completely changing my lifestyle, I get comments a lot. Mainly asking how a little person can eat so much food. Or that they could never do what I "do". Whatever that is!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Or that they could never do what I "do".

YES! I hear that so often. I'm not doing anything other than my best to avoid co-pays for prescriptions and doctor's visits. I'd rather spend that money on something fun.
  • happyfoodie
    happyfoodie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've recently had ppl say to me "you need some weight on you" or "have a doughnut". Ironic since it was having the doughnuts that made me put the weight on in the first place.

How do you deal with it? I've been having a lot of trouble in the workplace lately. I was never heavy, but I certainly wasn't healthy (cardiovascular health of a sloth). So I started running, eating better and of course lost a bit of weight because of these changes. Now I am getting some rather upsetting comments from work - my boss even pulled me aside and asked if I had developed anorexia. I tried to smile and explain that I am in fact eating more food, just better - but it all sounds so defensive.

Anyone else in this position? Any advice would be very helpful.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I often get. Are you allowed to eat that, you shouldn't eat that and can you eat that? I eat what ever I want I don't eat clean low fat or low carb. I have lost over 69 lbs. since starting on here in Sept 2012 but since my heaviest March 2012 I have lost over 81 lbs. If I want a cookie I will eat one if I want a piece of Chocolate I eat one and If I want ice cream I eat it. Ever since I started on here I wanted to see if I could lose the weight without depriving myself of all the foods I like. It has worked for me. I don't plan to change.

What comments have people made about what you eat?

I get offered cookies, which I often said not to as I just don't love cookies so why eat them if I don't really love them??? but now I am gluten free and dairy free at DR advice so I say no to things more often than I used to and people get all huffy about it and say things like "why don't you have a few more carrots?" and I think they can go blow
  • mrconaway
    Options
    I work third shift at a factory. Most of my friends are men and none of them are concerned with eating healthy or exercising. They are not overweight, but 'healthy' is irrelevant to them. One does not drink any water and one refuses any vegetables and loves triple cheeseburgers with bacon. I try to eat very well and exercise. We all tease each other but accept each other for who we are. They don't judge or turn up their nose at my healthy choices and I refrain from doing the same to them. And, they know I'm not a freak about it. If I have a taste for pizza- I'll chip in and eat pizza with them.

That has been the key for me. It's not always possible to surround yourself with people who share the same habits as you do. What IS possible is to choose to be around people who support your choices even if they are different.

As for those who offer only snide remarks or negative comments- those are the people not confident with their own choices and are a little envious of your dedication and willpower. The way I deal with these comments/people is to #1-don't let it affect you in a negative way. YOU choose you reaction to everything. Choose to be light-hearted and just smile. Even take it as a compliment. Hey- if you look like you need a donut, you must be looking pretty good, right? And #2: I respond with humor. I chuckle and say "no, thank you", or make a light hearted joke. One of the guys I work with is an older gentleman who is fatherly. He will sometimes order an extra order of fries and give to me. I say, "Dan, I promise I'm not anorexic. You don't have to try and slip me extra food." Lol.
    .....keep a positive, light-hearted attitude and be proud of who you are and the good choices you make-without taking it all TOO seriously.
    Peace :-)
  • tonimaxine
    Options
    I sure hope you lot don't bring out the pitchforks, but I've eaten out! (GASP) Several times over the last 2 months. If I want a dammed Roast beef and Cheddar Imma get one. The way I see it, even if I eat that Arby's, or candy or whatever, I'm working that into the rest of my day. Maybe I spend longer on the treadmill, maybe I drink a few extra gulps of water. If I'm constantly eating what I'm 'supposed to' I'm going to get burnt out on it and I'll end up giving up completely. I was eating incredibly unhealthy before, drinking multiple sodas everyday, eating out consistently, cooking high fat/sugar/carb/ sodium at home. Like I said, I may eat out, or have some candy, but I am miles from where I started, and if someone has something to say other than congrats, I have 19 lbs and 2 inches to prove them otherwise :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!