I hate lunges!!!

Options
1235»

Replies

• sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    I hate lunges..I have awful balance...
    BUT
    my trainer recommended to use a yoga block..
    to hold onto it close to the chest whilst attempting to do a lunge...I thought he was trying make the exercise harder for me -but it actually made it easier...holding onto the block makes you having to activate your core and therefore helps with balance...give it a try!
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Burpees are my absolute least favorite.

I curse them while I'm doing them, but they're an awesome exercise so I would have to say that I like them.

Which variation do you do? I.e. no jump, jump, press up and jump? (the British Army calls the press up and jump ones 'Ba$tards' lol)
  • AddyB80
    Options
    I hate squats!! Just feels unstable and when you drop down low I am going to fall backwards.

Must be a form thing, but I would do lunges over squats any day of the week.

How do I over come this... do box squats. once a week..
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I I hate burpees! And one-legged romanian deadlifts. The deadlifts because I fall over, the burpees because they are torture. I still do them because burpees get my heart rate up and I think the deadlifts will eventually help my balance.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I hate deadlifts !! I dont even do them. They dont make me feel comfortable and they are a pain in the *kitten*. Unless i am made to do them they will never be in my rotation lol
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I hate lunges..I have awful balance...
    BUT
    my trainer recommended to use a yoga block..
    to hold onto it close to the chest whilst attempting to do a lunge...I thought he was trying make the exercise harder for me -but it actually made it easier...holding onto the block makes you having to activate your core and therefore helps with balance...give it a try!

I have found that what shoe i wear when doing lunges makes a huge difference in my balance doing lunges. I need a flat shoe with no ridges and that keeps my stable.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Try Bulgarian squats. :devil:

I hate BSes but I just do them anyway. They scare me because if your balance isn't perfect, it's easy to fall over and have a whole gym point and laugh at you.

These are a piece of cake!

Do some yoga, develop your balance :)

I've got great balance. It's just that when you're holding two 40kg DBs things get bloody tricky!
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Burpees and quad squats. Suck the life out of me but I do them because I suck at them. Eventually I will get better at them.....I hope! :laugh:
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I hate lunges the most because I always fall over. =(

And I thought I was the only one with that problem! :laugh:

Try them on the smith machine. You're welcome :happy:
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    So I find that doing lunges and moving my back foot is better than doing them to the front. I kinda liked those! KINDA....LOL
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I hate lunges the most because I always fall over. =(

And I thought I was the only one with that problem! :laugh:

Try them on the smith machine. You're welcome :happy:
    Doing anything with a Smith machine is horrible advice.
  • Canucks1001
    Options
    I HATE burpees!

I once read that Jessic Alba's trainer created a workout plan that consisted of mostly burpees to get her in shape for some shindig. I thought "What a terrible way to live"

lol I wanted Cardio one day and my teacher wouldn't let me do this warmup we do called stairs and she said: "You want cardio? you want Cardio?? I will give you cardio" so I had to do 100 Burpies. I am pretty sure they really pay off.

For lunges I hate the jumping ones they become so deadly after quite a few. I don't mind normal ones for awhile but one time I almost had to do lunges around a whole track, My school is fitness crazy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I curse them while I'm doing them, but they're an awesome exercise so I would have to say that I like them.

Which variation do you do? I.e. no jump, jump, press up and jump? (the British Army calls the press up and jump ones 'Ba$tards' lol)

It's not a burpee if there is no jump- otherwise it's just essentially a squat thruster.
    Try them on the smith machine. You're welcome happy

really? why the point of doing this stuff is that it IS hard- why would you take away a fundamental LIFE SKILL from some one by suggesting the easy way out that also is increase the risk of messing up your knees/back?

*kitten* IS SUPPOSED TO BE HARD
    If it's easy what's the point of doing it?
    I've got great balance. It's just that when you're holding two 40kg DBs things get bloody tricky!
    then it's not that great then :p
  • BigWin20
    BigWin20 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you hate lunges? Stop doing them. Did I not get the memo that lunges are a necessary integral part of physique development/weight loss/fitness? Lol! Seriously though, you don't like them because they are hard and you aren't good at them. That's a strength and conditioning issue. Do more lunges and get stronger and more coordinated. Get stronger doing those squats you like, and lunges will be easier. OR, just stick to squats. Front squats, back squats, step-ups, romanian deadlifts, box jumps. Who needs lunges then? Trust me when I say you'll get more out of those squats you DO like anyway.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options

Same here. I look at them and I think I should be able to do them for 20 minutes straight, no problem. They look so easy. And they're so not.
  • Lanise_10
    Lanise_10 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I love squats but absolutely detest lunges....but I do them anyway!!!
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

It's not a burpee if there is no jump- otherwise it's just essentially a squat thruster.

[/quote]

I know, but American fitness videos (insanity for example) call them burpees regardless, hence my question :)