Whats the meanest thing someone said about your weight?

Options
mandy0688
mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
We all run into those people, the ones who could care less about your feelings. This year has been hard. Last year on MFP I lost 28 lbs but I quit smoking and i got birth control shot and life got into the way then I gained 47 lbs. On top of me being the biggest I have ever been I am super sensitive when it comes to my weight.
I was in Walmart last week at the checkout and this woman who hasn't seen me in a while comes to me and hugs me then points at my stomach and ask me what is that. I knew she thought I was pregnant but didn't ask straight out. I told her Fat. She was like oh it looks like your pregnant by the way your body is shaped oh you gained so much weight. You need to take care of that. I sat there like ok you could have stopped once you found out it was not a baby but she kept going on and on. I know I am fat, nobody has to point it out. My body is shaped weird. I have a huge stomach but my legs, arms, and waist does not get bigger.
i used to think that ppl asking me if i was pregnant was the meanest thing but I was sure wrong. This lady really hurt my feelings. So I ask you guys what is the meanest thing someone has said to you?

Replies

• KatyAverill
    KatyAverill Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    That's awful! I've gotten "When are you due?" when I was at my highest weight. When I was in high school (and actually thin) a friends mom told me I have "Large child-bearing hips", and that really hurt my feelings.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    How rude! When I was bigger I was asked if I were pregnant. Definitely painful :frown:
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options
    That really sucks. Sorry to hear that. I get the typical "do you eat?" question sometimes.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Soooooooo when are you due ?? looks like it can be any day now? I used to respond with , I just delivered this week so this is all me now !
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    That I looked like if you stuck a pin in me I would pop.:frown:
  • MuscleAndMascara
    MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Some douche on here felt that he needed to comment on one of my before pictures.
    His words were "you were a little chunker, but you have a pretty face."
    needless to say, I was swooned... not.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law basically said I was never going to lose the weight and I was going to be fat forever.

Proved her wrong :wink:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Some douche on here felt that he needed to comment on one of my before pictures.

I would have replied with a comment about his small....you know....
  • Scoochie1
    Scoochie1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My mother lost a few pounds - she was always heavy and always dieting - so by way of enouragement I made a big deal out of her small successs... you know.. "Oh you look really great, you can really see the difference" etc
    Anyway - she got a bit carried away with all the praise - poked me in my belly (i kid you not... poked me!) and said ' you could lose a few pounds yourself'

She is a size 20 and about 5ft 6. I was a size 14-16 at the time (UK sizes) and am 5ft 10
    So in a way she was right - but WTF - BITE ME!
  • MuscleAndMascara
    Options

I would have replied with a comment about his small....you know....

bwahaha I was so dumbfounded I didn't even reply...
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, I can't recall anyone ever saying anything to my face as an adult that truly hurt my feelings. There were comments here and there, mostly from family, that stung temporarily but were easily forgotten. I was obese from roughly the age of 22 to 27.

As a child, I wasn't fat, but I was chubby in comparison to my tall and lanky siblings, and people commented on that, especially my dad. That was hurtful because, at that time, I didn't understand why I was bigger than they were. I thought I was born that way, and I thought he was embarrassed by me, and that sucked.

What's been shocking to me since I lost all the weight is how people seem to think rude comments are somehow less rude when they're made about skinny people. And I don't even consider myself "skinny," at least not to the point of people making anorexia jokes, but my mom and sister have both made comments like "You're looking a little anorexic" to me recently when looking at pictures of me. I've been told by co-workers to "eat a cheeseburger" or to stop losing weight because I'm going to blow away. It really is amazing how no one stops and thinks about how exceedingly unkind they are being when they make negative comments, jokingly or not, about a person's appearance.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    "You'd be so pretty if you weren't so fat."

Or my ex husband, who refused to let me go to the gym at the same time he did, because he didn't want all his gym friends to see his fat wife.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options

Or my ex husband, who refused to let me go to the gym at the same time he did, because he didn't want all his gym friends to see his fat wife.

your ex husband is an as*hole
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    "You didn't need to lose weight." Um okay then. And you definitely don't need to remark like that about my body which is none of your damn business...
  • MuscleAndMascara
    Options

your ex husband is an as*hole

thank goodness he is your Ex Husband!!
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    Out shopping with my mom and I said that I needed to get new jeans because I had lost over 30 lbs. and she said, "I don't know where!"
  • mandy0688
    Options
    at least i am not the only one who has dealt with *kitten*. But did these comments motivate you or make you emotionally eat. I ususally get the are you pregnant when I start to lose I had a guest call the hotel to give me a compliment and I asked who it was and he said the pregnant one. i told the man that non of our front desk clerks were pregnant he goes the fat white girl. I was the only white front desk clerk and when I told him that was me he got real quiet and asked to speak to the manager about me which was all good stuff but he basically told me that I was fat on the phone which was a real self esteem boost. Actually I have no self esteem. Its all gone.
  • mandy0688
    Options
    I just recently visited my great grandma who is 97. she looked at me and asked what happened. I explained to her that I gained this weight by quitting smoking and birth control shot. She was like you need to lose weight, I have never seen you this big.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    A few people have said they can't see any difference. I have lost 101 lb. There is definitely a difference.

Usually they will follow up that comment with, "You looked fine before". I weighed 300 lb. WTF

When I was much fatter, I really didn't get many rude comments. I guess I have been lucky in that way!