What causes failure?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    how can I walk by a cupcake and not even glance at it, but you have an impulse to eat it? We both watch the same advertisement, yes? Yet you can't resist it, and I can ..hmmmm, I wonder why?

I think this is a great question. If it hasn't been well-researched, it should be. I don't think the answer is as simple as you probably think it is.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have to agree with the others that say it's the people that view it as a "diet" rather than a "lifestyle change". I've been maintaining my weight for almost 2 years now & I honestly see it as my way of life. I don't stress too much if I treat myself or indulge now and then - I just make sure I stay on my weekly targets and cut back a little bit in the following days if necessary :wink:

I think it's moreso the people that think "Oh, I'm going to cut out ALL carbs until I lose x amount of pounds" or "Oh, I'm going to only eat cabbage soup for all my meals until I lose x amount of pounds". And those approaches might work out in the short term, but once they actually DO lose "x amount of pounds", they're just going to pile it back on again when they start re-introducing carbs into their diets or foods other than cabbage soup.

So my advice to you, OP is to NOT restrict yourself or demonize certain foods. Stick to your weekly calorie goals and try to meet your macros as much as possible, but make it SUSTAINABLE to do so. If you're craving chocolate cake one day, save some room in your allowance for a slice of chocolate cake. If you're craving taco bell, leave a space in your cals for a burrito. Whatever tickles your fancy! It's gotta be a plan that you can stick with for years to come :happy:
    What needs to happen, regardless of whether one reduces or eliminates (I think the word demonize is so silly) the consumption of certain foods, or ingredients (enriched, bleached, white flour for example), or simply counts calories and eats whatever actual foods they want, is to have a plan for after the dieting period is over. EITHER approach will lead to weight gain if the dieter returns to their previous HABITS. i.e., if the person who gives up enriched, bleached white flour goes back to eating two seven layer burritos (for example), for lunch (and does what he used to do at breakfast and dinner) then he will likely gain weight back. If someone diets by eating one chile cheese burrito, then returns to eating two seven layer burritos (and whatever they used to eat for breakfast and dinner) that person will gain the weight back too. There's nothing magical about eating your comfort foods (but at a deficit). You've got to have a plan for how to eat the right number of calories to maintain. Each day the introduction section has thread after thread of folks coming back... Most probably simply counted calories (since formal diet plans aren't popular here).
    You've gotta have a plan for the rest of your life. That's the key. And if you exercised to lose, then you need to exercise forever, (or change something else).
    I personally think that folks who learn to build their diets around nutritious whole foods WHILE they are losing weight, and who continue to eat primarily nutritious foods, such as high fiber vegetables (for example) will be more likely to succeed in the long run, because they will be fueling their bodies and will be less likely to "binge" or otherwise overdo.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have to agree with the others that say it's the people that view it as a "diet" rather than a "lifestyle change". I've been maintaining my weight for almost 2 years now & I honestly see it as my way of life. I don't stress too much if I treat myself or indulge now and then - I just make sure I stay on my weekly targets and cut back a little bit in the following days if necessary :wink:

I think it's moreso the people that think "Oh, I'm going to cut out ALL carbs until I lose x amount of pounds" or "Oh, I'm going to only eat cabbage soup for all my meals until I lose x amount of pounds". And those approaches might work out in the short term, but once they actually DO lose "x amount of pounds", they're just going to pile it back on again when they start re-introducing carbs into their diets or foods other than cabbage soup.

So my advice to you, OP is to NOT restrict yourself or demonize certain foods. Stick to your weekly calorie goals and try to meet your macros as much as possible, but make it SUSTAINABLE to do so. If you're craving chocolate cake one day, save some room in your allowance for a slice of chocolate cake. If you're craving taco bell, leave a space in your cals for a burrito. Whatever tickles your fancy! It's gotta be a plan that you can stick with for years to come :happy:
    What needs to happen, regardless of whether one reduces or eliminates (I think the word demonize is so silly) the consumption of certain foods, or ingredients (enriched, bleached, white flour for example), or simply counts calories and eats whatever actual foods they want, is to have a plan for after the dieting period is over. EITHER approach will lead to weight gain if the dieter returns to their previous HABITS. i.e., if the person who gives up enriched, bleached white flour goes back to eating two seven layer burritos (for example), for lunch (and does what he used to do at breakfast and dinner) then he will likely gain weight back. If someone diets by eating one chile cheese burrito, then returns to eating two seven layer burritos (and whatever they used to eat for breakfast and dinner) that person will gain the weight back too. There's nothing magical about eating your comfort foods (but at a deficit). You've got to have a plan for how to eat the right number of calories to maintain. Each day the introduction section has thread after thread of folks coming back... Most probably simply counted calories (since formal diet plans aren't popular here).
    You've gotta have a plan for the rest of your life. That's the key. And if you exercised to lose, then you need to exercise forever, (or change something else).
    I personally think that folks who learn to build their diets around nutritious whole foods WHILE they are losing weight, and who continue to eat primarily nutritious foods, such as high fiber vegetables (for example) will be more likely to succeed in the long run, because they will be fueling their bodies and will be less likely to "binge" or otherwise overdo.

Studies show that virtually all folks who lose weight on diet-only programs gain it back after five years, no matter what type of diet..

It is becoming clear that diets don't address a central eating issue that "naturally" thin people have successfully conquered, and that is the sensation of hunger, which is basically signals from the stomach saying it is empty.

That aspect CAN be addressed by the dieter by consciously eating small meals, and even skipping a meal, in order to adapt and get used to the sensation. The brain is plastic and constantly adapting and this approach results in real change.

Happy New Year!

I'm pretty sure that naturally thin people get hungry and eat too (I know, I am one of them). So 'getting used to the sensation of hunger' is not a plausible solution. Unless you can point us toward any credible research.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Studies show that virtually all folks who lose weight on diet-only programs gain it back after five years, no matter what type of diet..

It is becoming clear that diets don't address a central eating issue that "naturally" thin people have successfully conquered, and that is the sensation of hunger, which is basically signals from the stomach saying it is empty.

That aspect CAN be addressed by the dieter by consciously eating small meals, and even skipping a meal, in order to adapt and get used to the sensation. The brain is plastic and constantly adapting and this approach results in real change.

Happy New Year!
    I've maintained for about 12 years now. I don't skip meals. In fact I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks. for me the key is NOT getting hungry.

ETA: everyone in my family is fat, so I don't think I'm "naturally thin".
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The National Weight Control Registry tracks people who have lost at least 30 pounds and kept it off for at least a year. They have found some common behaviors in successful maintainers.
    Have to be careful drawing sweeping conclusions from this. For example....
    78% eat breakfast every day.
    Turns out an even higher percentage of obese folks eat breakfast, so the obvious inference is that skipping breakfast helps maintain weight loss.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    how can I walk by a cupcake and not even glance at it, but you have an impulse to eat it? We both watch the same advertisement, yes? Yet you can't resist it, and I can ..hmmmm, I wonder why?

I think this is a great question. If it hasn't been well-researched, it should be. I don't think the answer is as simple as you probably think it is.

well the original premise of that poster was that "advertising" make us eat the cupcake…so how do we watch the same ad and he eats, and I do not?
  • devodev44
    devodev44 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think the reasons are vast and depends on the individual.

That said, one common reason that often comes up is a lack of patience.

Folks forget that it may have taken them 1 year to gain 20 pounds, then after 2-3 years/40-60 pounds more, they want the weight gone in 6 months or some other fraction of time.

If it is not, they get discouraged, quit, try again next year and the cycle repeats over and over again (usually with added weight).
  • madaleingericke
    madaleingericke Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    After 14 years at a little lower than my "ideal weight " and never gaining any weight, I started packing on the pounds without a change in lifestyle or diet. Why?
    Doctors shrug. Genes. Metabolism. Age...
    My conclusion? I either have to starve myself, or I have to literally look the other way when there's food or a mirror anywhere near!
  • Linda09189
    Options
    I don't think "No discipline" is right at all, most ppl who are heaving are discipline, some it just doesn't come off, so to say that ppl who are heavy have no discipline is just not right....I don't know one person who is heavy that likes it.....
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

well the original premise of that poster was that "advertising" make us eat the cupcake…so how do we watch the same ad and he eats, and I do not?

That is the question that needs answering. Why?

Also why is it that some people find it easier to eat one cupcake and stop than to never have a cupcake at all, and some find it easier to not eat any cupcake at all rather than stop after just one?