What causes failure?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

So, there is no such thing as personal accountability, individual circumstances and priorities, metabolic differences, differences in personal satiety and hunger signalling?

As for your first sentence, of course there is. But when idiot pedestrian steps out in front of speeding, drunk driver, the blame usually gets shared between them. Personally, I'd just be happy if they stopped marketing crap to kids and turned the school lunch program into something that is actually healthy.

As for your second part: The attempts by well-meaning people to undermine those of us exploring how best to work with our own differences in satiety and hunger signalling to create a sustainable pattern of eating are unrelenting. I say low carb works for me, invariably someone is going to suggest moderation of sugars and carbs instead, which never has worked for me.

The question was in relation to the post I quoted.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options

So, there is no such thing as personal accountability, individual circumstances and priorities, metabolic differences, differences in personal satiety and hunger signalling?

As for your first sentence, of course there is. But when idiot pedestrian steps out in front of speeding, drunk driver, the blame usually gets shared between them. Personally, I'd just be happy if they stopped marketing crap to kids and turned the school lunch program into something that is actually healthy.

As for your second part: The attempts by well-meaning people to undermine those of us exploring how best to work with our own differences in satiety and hunger signalling to create a sustainable pattern of eating are unrelenting. I say low carb works for me, invariably someone is going to suggest moderation of sugars and carbs instead, which never has worked for me.

The question was in relation to the post I quoted.

I'm a bad, bad skimmer!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I found there's is less going on to keep you motivated. Lifts stall or weight stops dropping or your measurements remain the same.

Once you're close to goal weight, but still chasing your goal body it's a lot more fine tuning, which can be a frustrating game of experimentation.

I think you then slide little by little and have to find the motivation all over again.
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options
    This is a good question.

I don't think I have the right answer but to make some observations:

- I don't think it's a singular cause such as "not wanting it bad enough".
    - I think it's a combination of factors and I think that the collective list of barriers to weight loss success will differ from person to person.

Some things that come to mind:

- Lacking quality information. Part of this lies in the absolutely horrible dieting industry and them pushing scammy products and misinformation.
    - Not putting enough emphasis on dietary adherence and/or lacking the knowledge to maximize adherence through various strategies.
    - Biological factors that predispose us to resist weight loss or regain weight (hunger signaling/hormonal responses to dieting/AT)
    - Not wanting it bad enough. (I believe this is a legitimate element, it's just not the only element).
    - Methodological flaws in diet and/or exercise that stem from the information piece above.
    - I do believe the food industry is a variable. To be clear, I am not BLAMING obesity on the food industry. Far from it. However I believe the availability and prevalence of high energy density foods with very low satiety and very appealing flavor certainly doesn't help things.

Sure you should blame the food industry.

Why wouldn't you?

Of course you should blame the "diet industry."

They make money off selling worthless products that they know will fail long-term.

And don't blame physiology.

Naturally thin people have the EXACT SAME GENETIC SET-UP AND METABOLISM as overweight people.

Let your body re-equilibrate by not assaulting it with lots of food.

Very simple.

But the UNLEARNING process can be uncomfortable, and you have to face certain myths that have become embedded in our society.

"Breakfast is the least important meal of the day" says it all. It is by Hagan and the freebie first couple chapters you can access on Kindle is all you need.

There is no such thing as metabolic differences. We are ALL genetically the same.

Personal satiety and and hunger signally are variables that have a HUGE learned component. Naturally thin people have LEARNED to live with having an empty stomach. What people think is "hunger" is actually the stomach signalling that it isn't as packed with food as it is used to. Example: a very obese woman is absolutely famished and is about to eat a big meal she has prepared. Then she hears her daughter crying from across the street. She FORGETS about her hunger and runs out to see what the problem is.

Individual circumstances and priorities can change. i agree that some people SAY they want to lose weight, but don't really want to. No one is in a circumstance, however, where they gain weight against their wishes.

Personal accountability? Well, sure, people have to eat to become obese, but we live in a culture that is media driven. And if you see on TV the message that Breakfast is the most important meal of the day you will believe it. The government should, and will eventually, step in on breakfast food advertising. Even today, the breakfast food companies are backing off. They qualify things with saying that everyone should eat a NUTRITIOUS breakfast, and not coming right out and say everyone should eat breakfast.

Doctors should inform their patients on how the human body works regards weight gain and loss. They don't. Food consumption is equated with pleasure, social and business success.

So sure the obese are to blame in a strict sense for their own condition, but they have been fed false information about food consumption for their entire lives.

:laugh:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    This is a good question.

- I think it's a combination of factors and I think that the collective list of barriers to weight loss success will differ from person to person.

- Lacking quality information. Part of this lies in the absolutely horrible dieting industry and them pushing scammy products and misinformation.
    - Not putting enough emphasis on dietary adherence and/or lacking the knowledge to maximize adherence through various strategies.
    - Biological factors that predispose us to resist weight loss or regain weight (hunger signaling/hormonal responses to dieting/AT)
    - Not wanting it bad enough. (I believe this is a legitimate element, it's just not the only element).
    - Methodological flaws in diet and/or exercise that stem from the information piece above.
    - I do believe the food industry is a variable. To be clear, I am not BLAMING obesity on the food industry. Far from it. However I believe the availability and prevalence of high energy density foods with very low satiety and very appealing flavor certainly doesn't help things.

Why wouldn't you?

They make money off selling worthless products that they know will fail long-term.

Naturally thin people have the EXACT SAME GENETIC SET-UP AND METABOLISM as overweight people.

Very simple.

But the UNLEARNING process can be uncomfortable, and you have to face certain myths that have become embedded in our society.

"Breakfast is the least important meal of the day" says it all. It is by Hagan and the freebie first couple chapters you can access on Kindle is all you need.

There is no such thing as metabolic differences. We are ALL genetically the same.

Personal satiety and and hunger signally are variables that have a HUGE learned component. Naturally thin people have LEARNED to live with having an empty stomach. What people think is "hunger" is actually the stomach signalling that it isn't as packed with food as it is used to. Example: a very obese woman is absolutely famished and is about to eat a big meal she has prepared. Then she hears her daughter crying from across the street. She FORGETS about her hunger and runs out to see what the problem is.

Individual circumstances and priorities can change. i agree that some people SAY they want to lose weight, but don't really want to. No one is in a circumstance, however, where they gain weight against their wishes.

Personal accountability? Well, sure, people have to eat to become obese, but we live in a culture that is media driven. And if you see on TV the message that Breakfast is the most important meal of the day you will believe it. The government should, and will eventually, step in on breakfast food advertising. Even today, the breakfast food companies are backing off. They qualify things with saying that everyone should eat a NUTRITIOUS breakfast, and not coming right out and say everyone should eat breakfast.

Doctors should inform their patients on how the human body works regards weight gain and loss. They don't. Food consumption is equated with pleasure, social and business success.

So sure the obese are to blame in a strict sense for their own condition, but they have been fed false information about food consumption for their entire lives.

First of all, some people do have metabolic differences. Thyroid anyone? They also have different lifestyles that mean that they are more or less active and as such will be able to eat more/loss to keep the same weight.

Secondly, are you being this reductionist on purpose? Not everything is 'learned'. I am pretty sure that the basic premise of - if you eat more than you burn you will gain weight is not a media conspiracy that has been kept under wraps.

Also, what is it? The media is ALL to blame or there is some personal accountability going on?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    This is a good question.

Why wouldn't you?

Very simple.

First of all, some people do have metabolic differences. Thyroid anyone? They also have different lifestyles that mean that they are more or less active and as such will be able to eat more/loss to keep the same weight.

Secondly, are you being this reductionist on purpose? Not everything is 'learned'. I am pretty sure that the basic premise of - if you eat more than you burn you will gain weight is not a media conspiracy that has been kept under wraps.

Also, what is it? The media is ALL to blame or there is some personal accountability going on?

Sara is once again dead on here..; however, Steve and his "crew" believe that we have all been programmed by the food overlords to eat when they tell us to eat, and how much they tell us to eat, no matter how crappy or unhealthy the food...you have no choice but to stop at McDonalds every day and eat off their menu....personal accountability and choice do not exist in there world...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    This is a good question.

Why wouldn't you?

Very simple.

We are talking about normal people here.

And thyroid hormone levels are determined by the long-term exposure to temperature. The mechanism is designed to provide heat for the body in cold climates, and reduce heat production in the warm climates.

It is the media, I am not backing down from that, but it is also people who should know better- like doctors and other medical professionals. Ever hear anyone say that they have to eat because they have "morning hypoglycemia?" Sure you have. A totally bogus diagnosis that doctors make in order to pander to their obese patients.

Plus, it is the media and the large breakfast food companies that drive the research into diet and weight loss. And the big companies will actually work with government to design studies they hope will be beneficial to them.

Ever hear of a morning fast double-blinded placebo controlled study put out by ANYONE?

No. usually they will muck around with high carb or high protein diets, or change the calories distribution, but breakfast is never skipped prospectively.

No one makes any money if people DON'T eat something.

But with obesity becoming a real national nightmare, the government will be forced to look at these things.

Eating breakfast starts you- and your stomach- off on the wrong foot in the morning and reinforced maladaptive learned concepts.

I have no idea what you are going on about re thyroid and it's relevance. The point I was making that blanket absolutes are generally wrong - as is yours (the 'there is no such thing as metabolic differences' one - as there are)

I am not disagreeing that there is a horrendous amount of misinformation out there either. However, there are differences in circumstances (including motivation as you already admitted) that make your reductionist stance far too simplistic.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    This is a good question.

Why wouldn't you?

Very simple.

We are talking about normal people here.

And thyroid hormone levels are determined by the long-term exposure to temperature. The mechanism is designed to provide heat for the body in cold climates, and reduce heat production in the warm climates.

It is the media, I am not backing down from that, but it is also people who should know better- like doctors and other medical professionals. Ever hear anyone say that they have to eat because they have "morning hypoglycemia?" Sure you have. A totally bogus diagnosis that doctors make in order to pander to their obese patients.

Plus, it is the media and the large breakfast food companies that drive the research into diet and weight loss. And the big companies will actually work with government to design studies they hope will be beneficial to them.

Ever hear of a morning fast double-blinded placebo controlled study put out by ANYONE?

No. usually they will muck around with high carb or high protein diets, or change the calories distribution, but breakfast is never skipped prospectively.

No one makes any money if people DON'T eat something.

But with obesity becoming a real national nightmare, the government will be forced to look at these things.

Eating breakfast starts you- and your stomach- off on the wrong foot in the morning and reinforced maladaptive learned concepts.

bro, you are all over the place....no breakfast, companies are forcing us to eat, double blind placebos..bla, bla, bla...

breakfast does not make you gain weight or lose weight..under eating or over eating is what makes you gain or lose...
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I know in the past my failure has been because of not being patient. Or maybe a lack of self-control, and determination.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I found there's is less going on to keep you motivated. Lifts stall or weight stops dropping or your measurements remain the same.

Once you're close to goal weight, but still chasing your goal body it's a lot more fine tuning, which can be a frustrating game of experimentation.

I think you then slide little by little and have to find the motivation all over again.

Motivation should come from within. When things stall, attack in a different direction.
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I think we fail because we don't know how to handle success. A lot of people don't know how to treat them selves for mini goals and also don't know how to handle people telling them how good they look now they think I'm good I can splurge a little i'll just make it back up.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    "bro, you are all over the place....no breakfast, companies are forcing us to eat, double blind placebos..bla, bla, bla..."

Do not underestimate the power of advertising. Fitness centers and commercial weight-loss programs do it all the time.

Dude.

right, because the food overlords have us programmed to eat when they tell us to.
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Because there is no 'goal' in maintenance, nothing to reach, no end point, no reward at the end. If there is no ultimate weight goal to reach, people tend to slack off habits and say.... well, I'll make up for this later. Then, life catches up- and before they know it, they've put weight back on.

Maintenance is hard. I've been doing it since Nov of last year. For me, I have to keep logging, because I don't trust myself to intuitively eat. I failed at intuitively eating for 32 years, I can't expect to be proficient in that skill in one year.

Note to self: Wise words.
  • sarussell610
    Options
    I know myself I used to set the bar way to high and set goals that were for the most part unrealistic. Weight loss is as much "psychological" as it is physical. My new goal is to lose 5 - 8 pounds a month for 2014. That is 1.25 - 2 pounds a week. Giving myself a "range" I can now accept success much more easily. When you succeed, you stay motivated; when you stay motivated, you reach your long term goals. If I lose say week 1 a pound, in week 2 maybe three pounds, in week 3 half a pound, and in week 4 only lose two pounds; that is six and a half pounds for the month. I reached my goal 3 out of four weeks, but for the month I am well within my range.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    For me, I fail when I don't manage expectations realistically. I have an overarching goal that is supported by smaller, attainable goals. If I take it one step at a time, I will get there!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I finally realized why this posting bothers me. A while ago, I learned that by focusing on success and not failure, you will be successful. So, turn the question around.

I've brought this up before and people always want to argue. The reason they want to argue is because it's the way we were taught. From the beginning, if you're bad with something, like math, you work harder to get yourself proficient. It is inherent in our upbringing and counter-intuitive to say, screw that noise. I'm focusing on things I do well. Things I do poorly, I'll manage, but it won't try to get better.

So, again, learning why people fail is irrelevant. Ask how people succeed, and see what they say. Then, model your behavior using a model of success.

Cheers!

this is brilliant baby :heart: lets conquer the world together :drinker:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I didn't read any of the other answers but it's quite simply put...

"Fail to plan, plan to fail"

People think it's all about getting it off...then stop.

You have to plan for the rest of your lift to be this way. Watching what you eat so you don't go over maintenance and/or exercise.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I finally realized why this posting bothers me. A while ago, I learned that by focusing on success and not failure, you will be successful. So, turn the question around.

I've brought this up before and people always want to argue. The reason they want to argue is because it's the way we were taught. From the beginning, if you're bad with something, like math, you work harder to get yourself proficient. It is inherent in our upbringing and counter-intuitive to say, screw that noise. I'm focusing on things I do well. Things I do poorly, I'll manage, but it won't try to get better.

So, again, learning why people fail is irrelevant. Ask how people succeed, and see what they say. Then, model your behavior using a model of success.

Cheers!

this is brilliant baby :heart: lets conquer the world together :drinker:

I got you. That was step 1. ❤️????

:smooched: