phil robertson suspended from duck dynasty

Options

Replies

• arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Freedom of speech. Where is it??? Last I checked it is still a part of our rights as Americans!

Freedom of speech is the freedom to say what you want (which phil did) .. freedom of speech is not the right to say whatever you want without consequences.

...without consequences from the government, like getting your head cut off. It does not dictate private enterprise. They can have their own rules regarding many issues.

Freedom of speech does not necessarily protect from consequences from the government. There are plenty of things that are not constitutionally protected free speech .. but that's not the real point here.

A&E is a private organization. They are just as free to fire him for saying what he said as he is free to say it.

For me the larger issue is that A&E are taking actions against him for 1.) a well known belief that he holds and 2.) an opinion founded in his religious beliefs.

A&E were well aware of this when they signed the paperwork for the show... yet now it's an issue?
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I applaud his character and integrity to freely answer the question without the fear or worry of losing his job. What job is worth that sacrifice?

I have to agree with this. He was asked a question. At least he didnn't sugar coat it or create an answer that he thought the public would want to hear. Since the start of the show he has held true to his convictions. I may not agree with his beliefs but I think he is strong to stick with it. These aren't questions that anyone should be asked in the first place. This was a question that is known to stir controversy, to an openly religious man. What did everyone expect?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I've always have and always will believe everybody has their right to state their opinion. I don't care if I agree with it or not, for only with honesty do you know someone's true feelings. The great thing about this country is he with every single one of us still have that right.

Although I personally think its wrong to suspend somebody for answering a question its very common these days & those answers do end careers of many in eyes of the public.

Hell, a lot of us get suspended/banned here for typing our opinions on this site. Its just part of this generation. If I don't like it, I can find another place to voice my opinion.
  • whyhelloheart
    whyhelloheart Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You know how black people are born black and they kinda, sorta stay black for their entire lives? They can't change it. It's sorta racist to be prejudice against someone who can't change who they are.

Well, it's basically the same thing with gay people. You see, my friends, you cannot pick and choose what gender you are attracted to. You saying you "disagree with the gay lifestyle" is really just some bull****.

When you decided the day you were straight, let me know! I'm sure it was a real difficult decision for you.
  • W0rthless_Her0
    Options
    sorry phil, but you got what you asked for........hate/prejudice comments are not protected under freedom of speech

They are. But whats protected is he cant be prosecuted and his liberty and freedom taken from him because of it. All of the other things that society can do: Shun, ignore, fire, cut ties with. Thats all fair game and not protected.

Its kind of like burning a flag. You can burn one if you want to, and the government cant do anything to you about it. But when Cooter sees you doing it and gets pissed and kicks your *kitten* for it. I think thats funny. Goooooo Cooter!
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    he can't give his opinion based on his beliefs but Kmart guys can shake their junk, a childhood star can swing on a big wrecking ball butt naked....doesn't seem fair at all. SHAME ON A&E
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion unless it is geared toward the beliefs of Christianity or the Bible then it becomes slanderous and hateful. I honestly hope that the Robertson's pull the show from A&E and find another home for it. It is absurd to think that one cannot have their OWN OPINION about the hot topics in the world without it being said they are hateful. I disagree with homosexuality but would never hate on those that choose that lifestyle. I have a hard enough time policing my own life let alone trying to tell anyone else how to live theirs.

can we please not pretend that the views expressed by Mr. Robertson reflect those of all Christians? I, obviously, don't want to get into a religious debate in this forum but I don't think that Christianity is necessarily synonymous with his personal belief structure.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Would a gay man have been suspended from a TV show for voicing his opinion about heterosexuals? No. Yet we can no longer voice dissenting opinions re: homosexuality because it's "hate speech?" It's not like he said "kill all the gays." All he did was voice his opinion that it is wrong.

Thanks to the major media outlets, opinions now don't matter.

Because gay people don't disagree with hetero relationships. :noway:
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    You know how black people are born black and they kinda, sorta stay black for their entire lives? They can't change it. It's sorta racist to be prejudice against someone who can't change who they are.

Well, it's basically the same thing with gay people. You see, my friends, you cannot pick and choose what gender you are attracted to. You saying you "disagree with the gay lifestyle" is really just some bull****.

When you decided the day you were straight, let me know! I'm sure it was a real difficult decision for you.

**head desk**
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I applaud his character and integrity to freely answer the question without the fear or worry of losing his job. What job is worth that sacrifice?

I have to agree with this. He was asked a question. At least he didnn't sugar coat it or create an answer that he thought the public would want to hear. Since the start of the show he has held true to his convictions. I may not agree with his beliefs but I think he is strong to stick with it. These aren't questions that anyone should be asked in the first place. This was a question that is known to stir controversy, to an openly religious man. What did everyone expect?

Totally agree with this as well.
  • whyhelloheart
    Options
    he can't give his opinion based on his beliefs but Kmart guys can shake their junk, a childhood star can swing on a big wrecking ball butt naked....doesn't seem fair at all. SHAME ON A&E

Just because they are based on religion doesn't mean it gives him a free pass.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    ONE THOUGHT...OPINIONS ARE LIKE A--HOLES, WE ALL GOT ONE, AND THEY ARE ALL DIFFERENT.....

I think he allowed his opinion and that is all it is...... last night they said, the show is the top grossing show on tv right now and I know why it is... real people with real opinions....

the A & E network also has the right to do what they think is best for the network..... its their party and they can "cry if they want to"

I guess we all have our own opinions about the comment he made...we can agree or disagree with it... bottom line... as much as i like that show, Phil is playing with their ball so to speak.... so if they want to take their ball and go home, they can....

this has brought so much attention to the media...sure wish other things would create so much uproar.... I wish Phil had said something about all our young military men who are getting killed over seas...... now that there would be something to talk about...

GO Phil Robertson!
  • whyhelloheart
    Options

**head desk**

Not really sure why you're head desking my comment. Unless you believe you can choose.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    BS. Nothing that he said was out of line. Hate/prejudice? Sounded more like preference. And the preference of the majority of the human race.
    majority doesn't rule anymore.....I hope you are more informed to know that now.

You say that like it's somehow NOT a bad thing...
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Freedom of speech. Where is it??? Last I checked it is still a part of our rights as Americans!

Freedom of speech is the freedom to say what you want (which phil did) .. freedom of speech is not the right to say whatever you want without consequences.

...without consequences from the government, like getting your head cut off. It does not dictate private enterprise. They can have their own rules regarding many issues.

Freedom of speech does not necessarily protect from consequences from the government. There are plenty of things that are not constitutionally protected free speech .. but that's not the real point here.

A&E is a private organization. They are just as free to fire him for saying what he said as he is free to say it.

For me the larger issue is that A&E are taking actions against him for 1.) a well known belief that he holds and 2.) an opinion founded in his religious beliefs.

A&E were well aware of this when they signed the paperwork for the show... yet now it's an issue?

It's an issue now because it has the potential to impact revenue - if advertisers want to pull out over this, suddenly it "matters" .. not supporting that, just recognizing the reality of it.

To recap ..
    Phil was free to say it.
    A&E was free to terminate him for it
    We're free to criticize Phil, A&E, and each other ...
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    my problem stands with why is one person/organizations view considered right or wrong......why is a gay persons view that homosexuality is right ok but his view that its wrong isnt ok.....just seems un-american to me

Amen brotha.

I agree with this 100%
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    your opinion is reflected back on your job when you work in the public eye.

People get fired at my job all the time because of facebook posts spouting opinions the organization does not reflect.

sorry phil, but you got what you asked for........hate/prejudice comments are not protected under freedom of speech

The first part of your statement is true, however, it is precisely the type of speech that people find distasteful that IS protected by the constitution, otherwise it wouldn't need protecting.

Aside from that, nothing that Phil said was hateful in the slightest way, and I take issue with anyone who says otherwise. The fact is that we are all being held hostage by the minority in this country, it's okay for Christians to be slandered daily, but God forbid you say something that one of the protected minorities disagrees with. Evidently these people who demand tolerance from everyone else are incapable of the same.

Rigger
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

That's my thought, as well. I have never seen the show, but just from everyone in the world talking about it, there's nothing about what he said that is a surprise to me. Anyone who wasn't aware of his views has been living under a rock. I thought that was one of the big draws of the show.

That's why I feel like it's been blown way out of proportion to suit a political agenda.
This discussion has been closed.