How to measure calories of Haagen Dazs ice cream?

Options

Replies

• BroSciencePhD
    Options
    I think it's highly arrogant. Taking someone elses work, knocking it off and passing it as her own? That "meet your protein needs, then your fat." yada yada yada is from Lyle Mcdonald...

It's called plagiarism.

Where do I say 'meet your protein needs then your fat'?

Also, the concept of macros is not unique to Lyle...at all. If you think that you need to accuse a whole bunch of people in the nutrition field.
    That's not what i said...
    I am not going to say bad reading comprehension, which you have a tendency to say to people for the reasons listed previously.

How do you set up macros or calorie intake for someone?

Oh my lawdy....you clarified AFTER you posted your accusation.

Also, why don't you actually address my comment rather than casting accusations at me...for once.

Bolded implies you don't do that. So I am asking what do you do then? Since you imply you don't do that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I think it's highly arrogant. Taking someone elses work, knocking it off and passing it as her own? That "meet your protein needs, then your fat." yada yada yada is from Lyle Mcdonald...

It's called plagiarism.

Also, the concept of macros is not unique to Lyle...at all. If you think that you need to accuse a whole bunch of people in the nutrition field.
    I am not going to say bad reading comprehension, which you have a tendency to say to people for the reasons listed previously.

Also, why don't you actually address my comment rather than casting accusations at me...for once.

Bolded implies you don't do that. So I am asking what do you do then? Since you imply you don't do that.

And I am asking you where you saw this. You were the one that made that assertion. Back up your claim rather than making false accusations like you have been the whole way through this thread.
  • BroSciencePhD
    Options
    Srs. The term for variance is not "standard deviation". A "standard deviation" in a data set is found by taking the root of the average of the squared differences of the values from their average value.

One or two grams difference is not a "standard deviation". It is just variance; certainly not standard in any way, shape or form.

OH LET'S KEEP PLAYING!

:indifferent:

The coeffienct of variance means NOTHING with out the means. BOTH need to be reported to have any meaning.

What does that have to do with the fact that you tried to correct someone, rather pompously (and yes, I use that word IRL), and incorrectly?

Your external world is a reflection of your internal world.

Yes...the fact that I am English and was brought up with a certain vocabulary. Go you for figuring that out finally...
    No, you're pretty pompous, so don't wonder why people show that behavior towards you.

Oh, the irony.
    ditto, Read your own profile... As I said i have came across these forums before, I see how you treat people. You're the defenition of unjstified arrogance.

Oh? Is that so. I don't think Sara is arrogant at all - her or her profile. Many will attest to how much she's helped them and that she lives by the advice that she gives.

P.S. I'd be more than willing to up my ice cream intake (as long as it fits in my calorie goals and macros) if that is the secret to getting an APA State Record for a 325lb deadlift. More. Than. Willing.

It's called plagiarism.

TIL that "Lyle" invented meet your macros, first protein, then fat.

Another book to add to your hundreds should be Beaton's 1964 treatise. Based on research from 1942. Not "Lyle". Sara is pretty damn good about sourcing.

It was popularized in the fitness community by Lyle. Before, people would use macro percentages. Sourcing? If you're talking about reading abstracts, that's terrible science.

You're right about that. Reading abstracts is terrible science. Stick around, you'll learn perhaps that it's one of the things I rail against (as does Sara). Also, I'd be really bad to know who popularized what in the fitness community - I'm not part of that, I prefer to go to source of research (it is what we scientist do).
    Anyway, the articles that Sara has written on protein sourcing are sourced either to specific research or other web sources. Plagiarism it is not. Also, since she goes by her real name, is known to the community here, let me warn you that you are on shaky ground - it you wish to continue to attempt to besmirch her good name, you will likely get asked to leave. It is against site policy to do what you are doing in the last posts. Now, I'm not a mod but expect that mods will have been informed about your lowly tactics. That might pass on bb but rarely here.

She made many violations on forums topics when I have seen them. She has done it on this topic. Yet nothing happens to her. it's pretty sad actually. How the community is, filled with biases. I get it, she's a myfitnesspal.com favorite, I get that. The mods let her get away with stuff, that's very obvious.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Srs. The term for variance is not "standard deviation". A "standard deviation" in a data set is found by taking the root of the average of the squared differences of the values from their average value.

One or two grams difference is not a "standard deviation". It is just variance; certainly not standard in any way, shape or form.

OH LET'S KEEP PLAYING!

The coeffienct of variance means NOTHING with out the means. BOTH need to be reported to have any meaning.

What does that have to do with the fact that you tried to correct someone, rather pompously (and yes, I use that word IRL), and incorrectly?

Yes...the fact that I am English and was brought up with a certain vocabulary. Go you for figuring that out finally...
    No, you're pretty pompous, so don't wonder why people show that behavior towards you.

Oh, the irony.
    ditto, Read your own profile... As I said i have came across these forums before, I see how you treat people. You're the defenition of unjstified arrogance.

Oh? Is that so. I don't think Sara is arrogant at all - her or her profile. Many will attest to how much she's helped them and that she lives by the advice that she gives.

P.S. I'd be more than willing to up my ice cream intake (as long as it fits in my calorie goals and macros) if that is the secret to getting an APA State Record for a 325lb deadlift. More. Than. Willing.

It's called plagiarism.

Dear Sir,

Your application to enroll in Professor Cocktail's lecture series has been denied. This university has certain standards of excellence to uphold, and while we appreciate the vigor of your application, the quality of the samples submitted do not meet the minimum threshold for acceptance. Nonetheless, there are other fine institutions that we are sure would welcome your contributions.

Good luck in all your future endeavors.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

OH LET'S KEEP PLAYING!

Oh, the irony.

It's called plagiarism.

TIL that "Lyle" invented meet your macros, first protein, then fat.

Another book to add to your hundreds should be Beaton's 1964 treatise. Based on research from 1942. Not "Lyle". Sara is pretty damn good about sourcing.

It was popularized in the fitness community by Lyle. Before, people would use macro percentages. Sourcing? If you're talking about reading abstracts, that's terrible science.

You're right about that. Reading abstracts is terrible science. Stick around, you'll learn perhaps that it's one of the things I rail against (as does Sara). Also, I'd be really bad to know who popularized what in the fitness community - I'm not part of that, I prefer to go to source of research (it is what we scientist do).
    Anyway, the articles that Sara has written on protein sourcing are sourced either to specific research or other web sources. Plagiarism it is not. Also, since she goes by her real name, is known to the community here, let me warn you that you are on shaky ground - it you wish to continue to attempt to besmirch her good name, you will likely get asked to leave. It is against site policy to do what you are doing in the last posts. Now, I'm not a mod but expect that mods will have been informed about your lowly tactics. That might pass on bb but rarely here.

She made many violations on forums topics when I have seen them. She has done it on this topic. Yet nothing happens to her. it's pretty sad actually. How the community is, filled with biases. I get it, she's a myfitnesspal.com favorite, I get that. The mods let her get away with stuff, that's very obvious.

Where? Point me to them.

ETA: questioning mod actions is also a violation....just sayin'
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Is this what happens when an immovable object meets an irresistible force?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Is this what happens when an immovable object meets an irresistible force?

I better be the latter or we are having words :tongue:

[Waiting for a disparaging remark about my arrogance or physique....]
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options

For someone who signed up in December and only has 36 posts, you sure seem to have a mighty big axe to grind - plenty of anecdotal experience, and what seems to be a pretty deep well of upset.

You sound like Pu.
  • BroSciencePhD
    Options

It's called plagiarism.

And I am asking you where you saw this. You were the one that made that assertion. Back up your claim rather than making false accusations like you have been the whole way through this thread.

1g of protein per lb of LBM as a minimum target

0.35g of fat per lb of total body weight as a minimum target

The balance can fall where you wish, taking into account performance, satiety and adherence.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

BTW that's bad science, most research on protein intake is based on total body weight, not LBM. So this method is highly flawed and filled with bad science.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If ur eating ice cream I don't really see the sense in even tracking ur calories..

Lolwut?

This was my exact expression, too.

Guess the ice cream cake I had last night was "bad"...guess I will just stay "phat"...:drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

It's called plagiarism.

The balance can fall where you wish, taking into account performance, satiety and adherence.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

BTW that's bad science, most research on protein intake is based on total body weight, not LBM. So this method is highly flawed and filled with bad science.

Firstly - not on my profile...where you said I was arrogant for stating it (so - misinterpreting facts as usual)

Secondly - where do I say protein first and fats second? (so - getting facts wrong as usual)

Also...you may want to update your research...and read the thread better...
  • BroSciencePhD
    Options

For someone who signed up in December and only has 36 posts, you sure seem to have a mighty big axe to grind - plenty of anecdotal experience, and what seems to be a pretty deep well of upset.

You sound like Pu.

I shouldn't even reply to this post, but since you quoted me I would suspect you would want a reply. Frankly, I don't know what you're saying.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

If you have issue with her posts, report them.
    Yes, she's a local fav because she provides value, brings intelligence and frankly gives a lot of herself, what do you bring? So far, I'm not seeing much but foisted aggressiveness.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

You sound like Pu.

Almost, but not passive aggressive enough.
  • wheird
    Options

If you have issue with her posts, report them.
    Yes, she's a local fav because she provides value, brings intelligence and frankly gives a lot of herself, what do you bring? So far, I'm not seeing much but foisted aggressiveness.

Exactly. Any blind eyes turned towards members who help to advance the community is a good thing when any perceived offenses are minor.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    If I am plagiarizing Lyle, and my sclence is bad...doesn't that make Lyle's science bad?
  • wheird
    Options
    If I am plagiarizing Lyle, and my sclence is bad...doesn't that make Lyle's science bad?

Prepare for the goal post to be moved.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

You could be plagiarizing poorly. This whole topic is cray cray.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

It's called plagiarism.

The reason most research is based on total body weight is that it is an easier method of measurement. It does not make it intrinsically better science. One of the better equations for TDEE is based on LBM (despite the fact that most research on TDEE has been done on body weight) but I hope you aren't about to suggest that TDEE work on LBM is bad science.

How is LBM based protein macro setting "bad science" - please cite at least one scientific article that states this.
    This is going to be fun.
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options

You sound like Pu.

I shouldn't even reply to this post, but since you quoted me I would suspect you would want a reply. Frankly, I don't know what you're saying.

You don't know what anyone in here is saying.
    But the fact that my very plainly-written post is supposedly incomprehensible to you certainly doesn't do your assertion any justice.

And no - quoting you doesn't mean I want a reply. No one wants a reply from you. Your contributions have no merit.