If it is simply calories in and out...

Options

Replies

• vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    My only Christmas wish was to not have to see a Cal in / cal out argument thread.

Thanks for ruining my Christmas, Matt.

This is why we can't have nice things here.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m8mjjgVGfs1rzwgiuo1_r2_250_zps7493e97b.gif
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Why do we not all gain/lose weight at the same rate?

because a calorie is not a calorie...not all calories are created equal. not all human bodies work the same way. there are conditions, illnesses that will slow down your metabolic rate. you can have hormone problems which will make it impossible or very difficult to loose weight. we have different lifestyles. we have different body shapes. we have different level of stress...

does this make sense?

What is a calorie when a calorie isn't a calorie?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

because a calorie is not a calorie...not all calories are created equal. not all human bodies work the same way. there are conditions, illnesses that will slow down your metabolic rate. you can have hormone problems which will make it impossible or very difficult to loose weight. we have different lifestyles. we have different body shapes. we have different level of stress...

does this make sense?

poop?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m8mjjgVGfs1rzwgiuo1_r2_250_zps7493e97b.gif

aw4aw7.jpg
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's the old IN and OUT.*

*no giggity on Christmas day, sinners!:angry:
  • PikaKnight
    Options

but really....

Giggity.

:flowerforyou:
  • QuietBloom
    Options

does this make sense?

poop?

When it's one of the negative calories. You know, like the ones in broccoli?
  • QuietBloom
    Options

You should have told me this sooner! :angry:
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options

That's what I asked Santa for, and I was really good this year. Don't deny me.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

does this make sense?

poop?

When it's one of the negative calories. You know, like the ones in broccoli?

I shall take both answers. You may both pass on to the next riddle

Why do people keep confusing the concept of "a calorie is a calorie" with the idea of "all foods are created equal"
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    So are you suggesting that it is not about calories in/out and that a person can eat above their TDEE and lose weight, or eat below their TDEE and gain weight? :huh:

No and you know i'm not.
    So you are arguing the determination of the amount. How can you argue simply calories in and out when it really is simply calories in and out ONCE you get a handle on your maintenance and therefore on what you should be eating deficit wise?

And is it easy to figure this out? Basically, yes..although it may take time. Setting calorie goals for yourself for 4-8 weeks and recording your intake/weight fluctuations will help you determine these numbers. Or you go the route to getting tested. Either way...all of this does not negate the calories in and out concept. Is it simple? Yes? But why must it be complicated for the concept to still hold true or work?

OK enough of the piss taking.

If you view the original question literally in terms simple mathmatics about energy, yes it is simply in and out. This was not the point of the thread. It was to raise the point that has come up that we are all slightly different and thus different needs.

Yes the body follows the rules of the universe - energy isn't made, its just transferred and will burn fat to make the energy if you go below the maintenance.

The whole point I was trying to raise as has been counter argued and kinda proves the point I was trying to raise... its not simply calories in/out without any thinking and just basing it on simple stats, is it?

To get to the in/out levels you need to know many aspects of the said person to get to this level needed.

CLEARLY if you know the exact amount of calories you need for a person, it is just in/out.

This thread isn't a thread about "which is heavier, a kilo of feather or stones?" question.

I think people are taking me too literally rather than seeing the point I'm trying to put across.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Why do I feel this thread is about to go swirling down the Porcelain Bowl of Pedantry?

I like you.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    So are you suggesting that it is not about calories in/out and that a person can eat above their TDEE and lose weight, or eat below their TDEE and gain weight? :huh:

No and you know i'm not.
    So you are arguing the determination of the amount. How can you argue simply calories in and out when it really is simply calories in and out ONCE you get a handle on your maintenance and therefore on what you should be eating deficit wise?

And is it easy to figure this out? Basically, yes..although it may take time. Setting calorie goals for yourself for 4-8 weeks and recording your intake/weight fluctuations will help you determine these numbers. Or you go the route to getting tested. Either way...all of this does not negate the calories in and out concept. Is it simple? Yes? But why must it be complicated for the concept to still hold true or work?

If you view the original question literally in terms simple mathmatics about energy, yes it is simply in and out. This was not the point of the thread. It was to raise the point that has come up that we are all slightly different and thus different needs.

Yes the body follows the rules of the universe - energy isn't made, its just transferred and will burn fat to make the energy if you go below the maintenance.

The whole point I was trying to raise as has been counter argued and kinda proves the point I was trying to raise... its not simply calories in/out without any thinking and just basing it on simple stats, is it?

To get to the in/out levels you need to know many aspects of the said person to get to this level needed.

CLEARLY if you know the exact amount of calories you need for a person, it is just in/out.

This thread isn't a thread about "which is heavier, a kilo of feather or stones?" question.

I think people are taking me too literally rather than seeing the point I'm trying to put across.

Yeah...I still don't see the point you're trying to get across.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

No and you know i'm not.

*sigh* Really? This was all to enlighten us on a point that didn't even exist? I think you will find in life, that there are not many things that require absolutely no brain power what so ever. However, there ARE things that people make WAY too complicated, and weight loss is one of them.

Are you a personal trainer by chance?
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

No and you know i'm not.

Dog goes woof
    Cat goes meow
    Bird goes tweet
    And mouse goes squeek

Cow goes moo
    Frog goes croak
    And the elephant goes toot

Ducks say quack, fish goes blub
    And the seal goes ow ow ow

But...

tumblr_mtjdzqDOfz1rinjyxo1_500.gif
  • PikaKnight
    Options

No and you know i'm not.

It's just he -

1. Didn't make a point in the original post and instead asked a question in such a way that the most logical thing to do was to take it at face value.

2. He complains about being taken literally/semantics but the question and his arguments up to this point have not aided him in whatever point he is trying to make. Because of the vague question that can only be interpreted as it is presented, his arguments just make it seem he's confused about the concept that he's arguing about (which really isn't what he seems to want to really argue about).
  • PikaKnight
    Options

No and you know i'm not.

Dog goes woof
    Cat goes meow
    Bird goes tweet
    And mouse goes squeek

Cow goes moo
    Frog goes croak

But...

tumblr_mv3473XNQA1rkujcuo1_500.gif
  • QuietBloom
    Options

No and you know i'm not.

Dog goes woof
    Cat goes meow
    Bird goes tweet
    And mouse goes squeek

Cow goes moo
    Frog goes croak

But...

tumblr_mv3473XNQA1rkujcuo1_500.gif

My 9 year old daughter's favorite song. lol
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options

Is your point that 2 people who weigh say 180 pounds, 15% BF, same activity level, might still have slightly different caloric needs? I don't think anyone is disputing that.

But in the end, it's sill about calories in/calories out. I believe what you are getting at is that just using a TDEE calculator and eating under that amount of calories *might* not work for 100% of people as they might have a lower/higher TDEE than average. But you are supposed to adjust as you go anyways as most calculators are pretty much aneducated guess, so to speak. A starting point.