If it is simply calories in and out...

Options

Replies

• EmSainz
    Options
    We don't lose at the same rate as we gain??? I think we do..
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ... its not simply calories in/out without any thinking and just basing it on simple stats, is it?

Yes, it is.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    My bank account is basically money in and out...

Yet no one else has the same exact amount of money as I do. Even if we make the same hourly wage.

Deep thoughts.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    My bank account is basically money in and out...

Yet no one else has the same exact amount of money as I do. Even if we make the same hourly wage.

Deep thoughts.

Mind. Blown.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    This question is like asking "Why don't all cars have the same gas MPG." Gas in vs gas out works, but it depends on the vehicle for the usages of that fuel.
  • Yo_Lazarov
    Yo_Lazarov Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When it comes to diet & nutrition, us as humans still have a lot to learn!

Sadly, the large majority is ignorant not only to the knowledge but to what passes by our lips.

Educate, don't discriminate!

If you do not like a debate make your way to other areas of your life you find interesting.

Happy Holidays!!! ????
  • Yo_Lazarov
    Yo_Lazarov Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When it comes to diet & nutrition, us as humans still have a lot to learn!

Sadly, the large majority is ignorant not only to the knowledge but to what passes by our lips.

Educate, don't discriminate!

If you do not like a debate make your way to other areas of your life you find interesting.

Happy Holidays!!! ????
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

What debate?
    Happy Holidays!!! ????

Same to you.
  • HungryasFuark
    HungryasFuark Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    LBM & BMR ..a pro body builder on his off season or on season will burn just staying alive . 1.5 or more the amount i eat working my *kitten* out 6 days a week to maintain lol
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those carb sensitive people you referred to and I retain water like a sponge. High carb meals particularly on a rest day, too much sodium, monthly cycle, increase in weights lifted - any of those cause an easy 2 - 5 pound gain that takes me three days or so to get rid of if I don't repeat any of those things, which I often do. Right now I'm up 10 lbs in 2 days!

I know this about myself. If I didn't tho, based on cals in and out I might think I was overeating instead of reacting to certain foods, stimulus or hormones. Figuring out TDEE can be tricky.
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    It's SIMPLY in vs. out

People are different, but if you're eating in a deficit you will lose weight except maybe a few extreme examples.
    Same goes for eating in a surplus, you will gain weight.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Why do we not all gain/lose weight at the same rate?

Because a lot of people are just dishonest with themselves, just blaming metabolism and not the burger they had for breakfast which they didn't count...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m8mjjgVGfs1rzwgiuo1_r2_250_zps7493e97b.gif

aw4aw7.jpg

Hey! :angry: That's not nice. Where are my supports and motivations?

tumblr_m1psi3cB9G1r9f8tk_zps383cf2b2.gif
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Santa should have brought you more toys, OP. :wink:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

im-not-saying-that-it-was-aliens-but-it-was-aliens.jpg
  • EmSainz
    Options

I originally thought you meant why don't we gain at the same rate we lose. Based on the tone of the thread, It looks like you're asking how come we don't gain or lose at the same rate compared to other people?

Some people are more sensitive to certain things that other, such as water retention. Who knows what our real TDEE is? It's just an estimation. How do we know if our calorie intake is what is stated? There are many variables, and many more within each person.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Its not that simple, as in/out then, is it?

For example:

Metabolic rates - Two people, identical height and weight and muscle mass.

Different metabolic rate thro hormone levels. Same calories would result in different weight gains/losses.

If it was simply in/out, you would just need height/weight/age/sex and would be able to say what they need. Indeed, some people are more sensitive to carbs than others, for example and lose fat or gain muscle in a harder/easier manner than others.

Metabolic rate, derived from height, weight, lean mass, hormone balance, activity level, mitochondrial efficiency, average sleep duration, fidgeting, pH of stomach acids / thermogenic effect of food (a million other tiny variables).

Calories consumed, as offset by bioavailability of nutrients in the specific food consumed, etc.

While the math can get infinitely complex, as complex as our unthinkably complicated bodies, at the end of the day it seems the easiest way to envision weight gain or loss is that eating in a surplus to your unique energy consumption results in a weight gain, and a deficit, weight loss.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Because we don't all eat/exercise at the same rate. :huh:

So using that logic, no exercise and equal calories = same weight gain/loss for each persons?

Different muscle mass, different lifestyles, slight variations in hormone levels and such...

Therefore not simply calories in/out, no?

It is that simple but every person is different.

For example my husband and I can eat the same amount of food, exercise the same amount and intensity but because he's bigger than me he will not only burn more calories but lose more weight than me. Someone who is the same size as me might also lose weight at a different rate because they could have a slightly higher metabolism, a slightly different build than me etc.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I remember Rich Gaspari talking about how he knew exactly how many calories he needed to gain 5 lbs, maintain weight and lose weight all within certain time frames. You don't get that kind of information from some formula, you get it from experimentation and experience. Oh, and this was done all before the interwebs and calorie tracking sites. It was done with pencil and paper and reading.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NtKiBuZzHk
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m8mjjgVGfs1rzwgiuo1_r2_250_zps7493e97b.gif

aw4aw7.jpg

Hey! :angry: That's not nice. Where are my supports and motivations?

tumblr_m1psi3cB9G1r9f8tk_zps383cf2b2.gif

LOVE! I wasn't talking to you, I was adding to the general thought of your post. :flowerforyou: