Looking for Friends doing the BIG THREE!

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OP, what exactly do you think IIFYM means, as I don't think it means what you think it means. Also, the "Big Three' does not mean what you think it means.

As usual, it appears that people think that IIFYM means stuffing your face with pizza, ice cream and pop tarts....it does not.

In case anyone wants to know what it actually means:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

Clean eating (whatever that means), or eating at a deficit, or eating healthy and IIFYM are not mutually exclusive.

Ok, i read it. Thanks. And yes i did originally understand it like that but i still don't want to do IIFYM. I want all healthy foods in my diet at a calorie deficit. And logging isn't required for everyone to success. I might be lucky - never know.

So you understood it and still called it bs and that people ate ice cream, pizza and poptarts all the time? I really think you did not understand it at all, especially when you say you want to eat healthy foods and at a deficit. What on earth did you read that implied you could not do that while IIFYM'ing?

Also, logging is not required for success...it is just that people are often more successful doing it.

In short....no, you still do not understand IIFYM

Also, calling something BS implies that it does not work. Do you really think that people on here that practice IIFYM (properly) have not been successful doing so?
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I thought I would meet fellow powerlifters talking about the big three; bench, squats and deadlifts. I am disappointed
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    OP, what exactly do you think IIFYM means, as I don't think it means what you think it means. Also, the "Big Three' does not mean what you think it means.

As usual, it appears that people think that IIFYM means stuffing your face with pizza, ice cream and pop tarts....it does not.

Clean eating (whatever that means), or eating at a deficit, or eating healthy and IIFYM are not mutually exclusive.

Ok, i read it. Thanks. And yes i did originally understand it like that but i still don't want to do IIFYM. I want all healthy foods in my diet at a calorie deficit. And logging isn't required for everyone to success. I might be lucky - never know.

So you understood it and still called it bs and that people ate ice cream, pizza and poptarts all the time? I really think you did not understand it at all.

Also, logging is not required for success...it is just that people are often more successful doing it.

Agreed (as always)

I missed the section in IIFYM where it states that you have to eat "unhealthy foods" for it to be IIFYM.

Last I checked it was meeting certain goals then filling the rest with foods that you like - which can be anything you want.

Op tries to get 80g of protein and keeps and eye on fat and carbs. Sounds like IIFYM to me. :noway:
  • BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options

So you understood it and still called it bs and that people ate ice cream, pizza and poptarts all the time? I really think you did not understand it at all, especially when you say you want to eat healthy foods and at a deficit. What on earth did you read that implied you could not do that while IIFYM'ing?

Sorry, didn't mean icecream poptarts candy (didnt ever say pizza) all the time. I meant those things every day. NOT every day all day.

And I do understand that most people are successful at logging. It's okay. I know how to count calories without logging - of course its not 100% accurate though but it worked before so.........
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Well sorry from offending some people. I didn't mean to hurt feelings - stupid internet!

You're right, it's the internet's fault.

BTW--5/3/1 is bull. But I don't mean to hurt any feelings, sorry from offending some people.

*runs to delete from FL*

Hey, but I said I'm sorry! :tongue:
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Also, calling something BS implies that it does not work. Do you really think that people on here that practice IIFYM (properly) have not been successful doing so?

QFT because Sara is a GREAT example of IIFYM.

If you don't want to log, what are you even here?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Sorry, didn't mean icecream poptarts candy (didnt ever say pizza) all the time. I meant those things every day. NOT every day all day.

And I do understand that most people are successful at logging. It's okay. I know how to count calories without logging - of course its not 100% accurate though but it worked before so.........

Worked so well that you have more weight to lose! Awesome program.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

How long have you been trying to get rid of the last 10 lbs, Barbara?
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

You still don't get IIFYM.

People who follow this way of eating don't eat poptarts et al, all day every day.
  • BetesBitch
    Options

So you understood it and still called it bs and that people ate ice cream, pizza and poptarts all the time? I really think you did not understand it at all.

Agreed (as always)

I missed the section in IIFYM where it states that you have to eat "unhealthy foods" for it to be IIFYM.

Last I checked it was meeting certain goals then filling the rest with foods that you like - which can be anything you want.

Op tries to get 80g of protein and keeps and eye on fat and carbs. Sounds like IIFYM to me. :noway:

No its not IIFYM. The only goal i have nutrition wise is no less than 80g of protein, and to skip carbs (more like bread carbs) at breakfast and supper 3-4 times a week. Oh and to eat about 1700-1800 cals per day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^this does not change the fact that you appear to have no comprehension of what IIFYM is.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Agreed (as always)

No its not IIFYM. The only goal i have nutrition wise is no less than 80g of protein, and to skip carbs (more like bread carbs) at breakfast and supper 3-4 times a week. Oh and to eat about 1700-1800 cals per day.

You don't understand IIFYM so how can you say it isn't?

I'll say it again - IIFYM has nothing to do with eating pop tarts, pizza etc every day, or even every week.

Hello BC.
  • BetesBitch
    Options

^^this does not change the fact that you appear to have no comprehension of what IIFYM is.
    Ok, I give up.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Well, sometimes I will go over in calories to meet my protein macro because I work around horses 7 days a week which counts for lifting and cardio. In addition, I lift and do cardio. Sometimes I will throw in pizza, pop tarts, candy, etc. just to compensate for my burns thanks to the barn. So I think that food can be handy at times but sorry I don't meet your friend requirements :indifferent:
  • TRobinson43
    TRobinson43 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I will be your friend. Im hoping to lose 15 - 20 lbs. by May 2014. I love to run intervals on the treadmill, but have plantar fasciatis in my right heel. It really slows down my workouts. I will be changing the way I look at food starting 01/01/14.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    OP is clueless on both IIFYM and the Big 3, lol.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Have you been lucky so far?
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. There are three main tenets of IIFYM -

1. Eat sufficient protein and fat.
    2. Eat sufficient fruit and vegetables to meet your micro-nutrient goals.
    3. Eat an appropriate amount of calories for your activity levels and weight loss/gain goals.

And of course the overarching 'do so with whatever foods you wish'. You can be an IIFYM follower and never, ever, even sniff a poptart, ice cream or cookies.

So if IIFYM is BS, you presumably believe one or more of these tenets must be incorrect. You are looking for a diet where you -

1. Do not eat sufficient protein and fat.
    2. Do not eat sufficient fruit and vegetables to meet your micro-nutrient goals.
    3. Do not eat an appropriate amount of calories for your activity levels and weight loss/gain goals.

Alternatively, you want a diet which specifically forces you to eat foods you do not wish to eat?

IIFYM is actually compatible with every diet choice out there because it leaves the actual choice of food to the individual. You could be a 100% 'clean eating' (for your own definition of clean eating) IIFYMer, a paleo IIFYMer, heck, even a vegan IIFYMer.

Ultimately, eat however you choose. But don't call out a perfectly reasonable, rational style of eating as BS. Because you will get corrected rapidly, sternly, and repeatedly.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    please explain why IIFYM is bull? :huh:

If you do IIFYM you still have eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight, I think you may have misunderstood IIFYM.

Just my opinion. IIFYM is probably great for some. I personally don't like it. Im not into fitting poptarts, icecream, candy, Mcdonalds into my diet. Unless it's a cheat day, then i will allow it and it won't bother me if i go other calorie goal for that day i ate that.

You might consider becoming informed so that your opinions don't make you sound so....well...uninformed. :wink:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Weight loss isn't linear. You might think you can eat only lean meats and veggies and just lose weight without logging, but eventually, you will develop a tendency to eat more lean meats and veggies than your daily energy expenditure requires. You have to log food to be certain you don't take in more energy than you are using, regardless of how clean it is.

Just curious, why would you start an account on an internet food diary site if you have no intention of using its primary feature the way it is intended?