Looking for a detox/cleanse?

Options

Replies

• jelly_potato
    jelly_potato Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Welp, I'll be hiding under a potato peel here if you need me. :#
    Would you consider the Moon diet as a form of cleanse? My mother got me on the moon diet bandwagon a while back, and although I find the whole "moon power" thing silly and misinformed, I have found it refreshing (after getting used to it) to have one liquid day a week. Though I have begun to wonder whether it actually has any cleansing benefits to the body.

Moon diet: Having only liquids one day a week on the date of the full moon, new moon, first quarter, and last quarter, in order to take advantage of the moon's power to get you to gain or lose weight more rapidly on those dates.

Did Moonbeam come up with this?

Nope, it's an actual superstition:
    http://www.moonconnection.com/moon-diet.phtml
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Would you consider the Moon diet as a form of cleanse? My mother got me on the moon diet bandwagon a while back, and although I find the whole "moon power" thing silly and misinformed, I have found it refreshing (after getting used to it) to have one liquid day a week. Though I have begun to wonder whether it actually has any cleansing benefits to the body.

Moon diet: Having only liquids one day a week on the date of the full moon, new moon, first quarter, and last quarter, in order to take advantage of the moon's power to get you to gain or lose weight more rapidly on those dates.

Don't feel bad - many of us old-timers have fallen for silly/fad diets in the past. No one is laughing at you, they are just laughing at the idea.

The diet-pushing industries are always coming up with some crazy rhetoric to reel in customers. It seems the stuff they come up with just keeps getting sillier and sillier. That is not your fault at all!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options

Awesome.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

I'm not really an old-timer here, but I'm not laughing at you. If you check out my myths thread, you'll see there are lots of things people come up with. Careful as it does get a bit snarky in there, but all meant in good fun.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10496479/so-whats-the-worst-weight-loss-myth

My point is that weight loss SHOULD be simple. But the media, Big O, Dr. Oz and you granny's second cousin twice removed all have really screwy ideas about weight loss that just confuse things so badly that many can't get to the reality needed. This year it's ACV. It's been everything under the sun and now the moon is involved as well.

Yes, some of these things can work for people IF it puts them in a calorie deficit. What you are really doing is a form of intermittent fasting (IF), which many do but they just don't relate it to the moon phases. If it seems to work for many people. If done properly, it is perfectly safe and if it seems to work for you I would encourage you to look at some of the IF groups to get better information on it.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options

Don't feel bad - many of us old-timers have fallen for silly/fad diets in the past. No one is laughing at you, they are just laughing at the idea.

The diet-pushing industries are always coming up with some crazy rhetoric to reel in customers. It seems the stuff they come up with just keeps getting sillier and sillier. That is not your fault at all!

Diet pushers and supplement pushers. My 76 yo cousin keeps posting the same stuff on fb about memory pills. I think they're not working as she's posted the same nonsense about Warren Buffett is successful because these.
  • jelly_potato
    jelly_potato Posts: 77 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    No worries there, I'm more amused than embarrassed of how much superstition I have allowed to go unnoticed around me. But hey, I'll have some good stories to tell in a few years.

Yes, some of these things can work for people IF it puts them in a calorie deficit. What you are really doing is a form of intermittent fasting (IF), which many do but they just don't relate it to the moon phases. If it seems to work for many people. If done properly, it is perfectly safe and if it seems to work for you I would encourage you to look at some of the IF groups to get better information on it.
    The intermittent fasting seems to be working for me as I feel energetic and comfortable with no signs of hunger or weakness (deficit of about 200-300g), so I'll definitely pay those groups a visit for more info. Thanks for the tip!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Could use a bump.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Hoo boy, this could use a bump tonight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    22749383_zps1e4c4919.jpg
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    <3 um, yeah!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Not even the thread - just reading the OP would do . :)
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Bump- thanks, OP!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    not to mention you are NOT going to lose 20 lbs in 3 weeks,not even if you were starving yourself.maybe if you dehydrated yourself but you would end up in the hospital for sure either way.
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    B)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the post-christmas woo war.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Let's keep this near the top, so it's easy/easier to find, when necessary.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Let's keep this near the top, so it's easy/easier to find, when necessary.

Good plan