Lets try this again. How long did it take YOU to lose 30lbs?

Options
12346»

Replies

• misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I am 24, 5ft 3 and I maintain my weight in the range of 99-104lbs. I'm actually intending to gain weight over the course of this next year as I want to build muscle but talking weight loss, my heaviest weight was 121lbs which granted is not heavy, but I am very small framed and at this weight I was carrying more bodyfat on my torso than I was happy with after going from being very active (daily workouts) to practically nothing for over a year but still eating as if I was working out.

I went from 121lbs to 99lbs in around 5/5.5months. A total loss of 22lbs so I was losing between 4-5lbs a month approximately. Not quite 30lbs but not far off & a significant loss given my start weight was not that high and the closer you are to your goal weight the harder it can be to lose those last few lbs.

I lost the weight fairly easily, can't say it was too dificult. I simply tracked my calories on MFP aiming for 1200 to begin with but I customised the macros so that I was eating more protein and a moderate amount of fat and carbs. I just concentrated on my food for the first few weeks and then I started to introduce exercise aiming for 3-4 sessions a week including swimming, strength training, boxing for cardio and some workout dvds plus more in general I tried to do more walking even if it was just a 20 minute walk on my lunch break at work or just walking to the local shop instead of driving. When exercising I did eat back my exercise cals if I felt I needed them but usually I would try not to eat back more than 50-75%, just to account for any overestimations of calorie burn.

I did and still do have days where I eat way over my allowance for special occasions or just one of those days where the chocolate gets the better of you or you crave a huge bowl of pasta, but so long as those days are not too regular, I found that I was able to lose the weight, and then maintain my weight whilst still have plenty of "days off" where I eat over. As long as it balances out (some days I might be under either because I wasn't that hungry or because I did not eat back any of my exercise cals) then it is still possible to lose. I tend to now focus on my weekly figures, not daily and so long as over the course of a week I'm on track, I don't worry about the fact I went over by 1000cals on one particular day because I fancied a huge slab of chescake :happy:
  • sarzo14
    sarzo14 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds just over 5 months. Started in end of May and lost 30lbs in the start of November.

I weighed 209 (5'10", 21 years old) when I started, maybe even more because I was 209 when I weighed myself in February and it took me a while to get going in May. So it might have been more than 209.

I started doing insanity and logging food. I stopped Insanity workou after one month, and then went running and I played beach volley almost every day. The first time I got the courage to step on the scale was on 27. August, when I weighed 194lbs. After that I weighed myself regurally.

I got to 179lbs on 5. November and back then I still wasn't in the healthy range of BMI. Since then I have lost another 12 pounds, so all together I have lost 42 pounds. I still want to lose another 10lbs.

Now I weigh 168lbs and I'm 5'10" tall.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    For my first 50-60 pounds, I was losing 10 pounds a month but I had 100+ to lose. Now that I have only 30 pounds to go to my goal weight, I'm expecting it to take another year since I plan to go slower as I get closer. If you have only 30 pounds to lose, I wouldn't suggest to try to lose more than 5 pounds a month.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    It took me 3 months to lose 30 pounds. I just checked my stats under check-in the food dairy. I'm age 59, weighed 178 when I signed up for MFP in mid-April and by mid-July I weighed 150, which is 3 months exactly. It took several more months to lose the next 10 because I slacked off with exercise and upped my calories (I went back to school and was too busy to exercise at the same rate).

I lost the weight because I drastically changed my diet and started to walk to work and local errands instead of using my car. I changed to a healthy diet that is not for everybody but it works for me (I cut out most junk food, dropped all dairy and bread, and went from an almost-vegetarian to an almost-vegan). I have about 8 pounds left to lose now. I have to exercise and resist the junk food at work or I don't lose. I really like my diet, am eating well as a far as nutrition goes, and know I can eat this way for years. Before, I was overweight, exhausted, and suffered from migraines, but now I feel great.

I'm correcting this to say 3.5 months. I lost 6 pounds in the 2 weeks before I joined and counted it in my MFP numbers when I joined. Other than the 6 pounds, I lost more weight before I joined MFP but wasn't weighing.