Which deadlift form do you do/prefer?

Options

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I tend to bend my arms a tad too much . . . :sad: :blushing:
    Bend your arms?! In a deadlift?! Are you trying to tear a biceps right off?

How did you know? lol
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

How did you know? lol
    So, that'll happen in sumo or conventional. Do you have a cue for jamming your arms straight when you lock in with the bar before pulling? It takes me for EVER to start a set because I have so many little rituals. :laugh:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem- I'm 6'3" with 2/3 of my height being my legs. The bar has a long way to travel with conventional. I've read/heard mixed views on sumo style for tall people. I tried sumo and did not have a problem with it- seemed a bit easier on me. I'm going to keep trying it out. I have a bit of a bad habit with conventional by pulling first with my lower/upper back before engaging legs.

typically you can lift more sumo style than conventional style….I do both
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

How did you know? lol
    So, that'll happen in sumo or conventional. Do you have a cue for jamming your arms straight when you lock in with the bar before pulling? It takes me for EVER to start a set because I have so many little rituals. :laugh:

too many ques and I will never get the bar off the ground...
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

How did you know? lol

Yep. Just gotta remember not to play "here hold my beer and watch this" . . .
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

How did you know? lol

Yep. Just gotta remember not to play "here hold my beer and watch this" . . .
    Sounds like a more fun name for "grip and rip".

Man, I'd love to stay and talk deadlifting all night, but I have training (aka recovery aka sleep) to do... Have a good one, and lift all the deads!
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I use a trap bar, but because I have to.
  • cng31183
    cng31183 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    sumo, i have a big belly so sumo style makes better room for the chubs.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I do conventional deadlifts on back day, and RDLs on leg day.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    For all you non-sumo people out there-- what is your arm/torso/leg ratio like? I've got looooong legs, and a teeny little torso and T-Rex arms. I put my feet out so wide 'cause otherwise I could never reach the bar! :laugh:

I've basically got short legs, short torso, short arms: I'm short all over :laugh:

Guess that means I'm all in proportion?!

But conventional deads "feel" right to me. Couldn't quite get into sumo's, so perhaps that was my bio-mechanics talking to me?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I started with conventional...loved them then pulled my glacious...:sad: (not lifting)

After I was cleared to lift I found lifting in conventional was fine but putting it back down was iffy so I switched to sumo...

Love sumo now too...
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Conventional and Sumo (love Sumo at 6'4"!!!) are the two I alternate between using. I think the type used really is based on one's particular needs.

There is a good article here on the deadlift subject here:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/deadlifts_which_type_is_best_for_you
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I started with conventional...loved them then pulled my glacious...:sad: (not lifting)

After I was cleared to lift I found lifting in conventional was fine but putting it back down was iffy so I switched to sumo...

Love sumo now too...
    What's your "glacious"? I can't guess what you meant.
    Feel like copy/pasting? I do not go to t-nation.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    For all you non-sumo people out there-- what is your arm/torso/leg ratio like? I've got looooong legs, and a teeny little torso and T-Rex arms. I put my feet out so wide 'cause otherwise I could never reach the bar! :laugh:

I've basically got short legs, short torso, short arms: I'm short all over :laugh:

Guess that means I'm all in proportion?!

But conventional deads "feel" right to me. Couldn't quite get into sumo's, so perhaps that was my bio-mechanics talking to me?

I'm pretty average height at 5'10" and I strongly prefer conventional deads.

And my self effacing humor above aside, form is critical OP. There are a couple of groups on here where you can post videos and get reasonably good critical feedback.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Conventional FTW.

^^ 100%
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

????????????????????????????????????
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

????????????????????????????????????
    If you pasted in some code, it was eaten by the message board formatting algorithms. If you were just confused by what I said, allow me to clarify.

If there was good information in that article, I would always be appreciative to have someone copy/paste the text of the article, otherwise I will never get to read it. I hate t-nation's website, and I choose not to visit it, so I don't usually get to partake of their articles.

If nobody feels like doing me a favor, no biggie, but it never hurts to ask.
  • chopper_pilot
    chopper_pilot Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    trap bar.

love mixed grip barbell too, but my long legs and knee/shoulder problems love the trap bar better.
  • salemsaberhagen
    salemsaberhagen Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Have you ever competed? If so, did you favor one deadlift style over another?
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Conventional