The Daniel Plan

Options

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Honestly as a Christian I'm a little offended that someone would take the story of Daniel and try to make it into a weight loss plan. If that's what you got out of the story, you're doing it wrong.

Agree.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    In... for fishes and loaves.

28lgrc9.jpg

And wine.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQe8xe61FgUH0tiWtIrhSNMGm2MDq3UInQh4phUW52lTlhcBnnVQ

I just kicked off this new plan by eating Swedish Fish. 2014 is gonna be my year!

I want all this...but in the form of sharkeys fish tacos and target box o wine malbec. IN for daniels strange but easy to come by diet!
  • jables85
    jables85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I didn't know what the Daniel Plan was either until I read this thread. Although I can't say I'm interested in going this route, I'm disappointed to see how many people are getting caught up in the religious aspect when these forums should be a place for advice and encouragement, not judgement. I would consider myself agnostic and yet I still think its important to acknowledge other beliefs, perspectives, and ideas.

If a "religion based" plan works for you...more power to you. Our common goal here is to maintain healthy and happy lifestyles. If you can't say anything nice (or at least helpful!) don't say anything at all.

Cheers to the original poster for seeking more information in her quest for health and fitness!
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My step son and his wife have changed their lives following this plan. Before beginning this plan he (age 48) was more than 100 pounds overweight had just been diagnosed as having diabetes and he had severe sleep apnea, high blood pressure, and other health risks. She was 80 pounds overweight and was having joint pain, high cholesterol and angina. Both had very sedentary lifestyles, loved wine and frequently indulged in high caloric gourmet foods They are also members of Saddleback Church where the Daniel Plan was began. In the last 18 months he has lost nearly 100 pounds, has become a runner, and if focused on good health and fitness. His wife has had a more difficult time but she has lost 50 some pounds and is also now a runner. He is a leader of a "Walk and Worship: group and has an online blog for interested folks. Their diet is indeed plant based, organic, and avoids sugar and all white flour. As they both love to cook I think it's been an enjoyable process for them as they try and invent new and modified recipes. I would say while it is not for me because of my limited ability to prepare food, it is a highly successful program and to me ultimately nothing can help us more than our faith in God to help us honor our own lives.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    This is directly from the site:

"The Daniel Plan focuses on the core food groups of healthy carbs, healthy fats, healthy protein, healing spices, drinks, and super foods. And The Daniel Plan gives an easy guideline to use for any meal:

50 percent non-starchy veggies
    25 percent healthy animal or vegetable proteins
    25 percent healthy starch or whole grains
    Side of low-glycemic fruit
    Drink—water or herbal ice teas with"

Ok, people who think this program is so awesome, please explain what a "healthy" protein is. Because a gram of protein is a gram of protein and going to equal 4 calories, whether it comes from organic free range chicken or a mostly-circus-animal-some-filler taco from Taco Bell. If it fits in your macros and calorie count, you're going to lose weight.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    If you're talking about The Daniel Plan by Rick Warren, a lot of people complained that there's not enough REAL diet info in it. But if you're looking for some kind of Faith based weight loss program, then I'd recommend finding a First Place 4 Health group. They cover all the bases, including diet specifics. You can do them in a local group, online group, or alone (although the support really helps w/success).

www.firstplace4health.org

^^This! This program is much better as far as nutrition info goes. It includes higher protein and healthy fat, for a more balanced diet.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I didn't know what the Daniel Plan was either until I read this thread. Although I can't say I'm interested in going this route, I'm disappointed to see how many people are getting caught up in the religious aspect when these forums should be a place for advice and encouragement, not judgement. I would consider myself agnostic and yet I still think its important to acknowledge other beliefs, perspectives, and ideas.

If a "religion based" plan works for you...more power to you. Our common goal here is to maintain healthy and happy lifestyles. If you can't say anything nice (or at least helpful!) don't say anything at all.

Cheers to the original poster for seeking more information in her quest for health and fitness!

Stahp it! I'm gonna hurt myself from falling out my chair laughing so much. I'm so sure, "i am dissappointed ppl get caught up in religion"....lol. better go correct the REST OF THE HUMAN population. OMG i die.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

"The Daniel Plan focuses on the core food groups of healthy carbs, healthy fats, healthy protein, healing spices, drinks, and super foods. And The Daniel Plan gives an easy guideline to use for any meal:

Ok, people who think this program is so awesome, please explain what a "healthy" protein is. Because a gram of protein is a gram of protein and going to equal 4 calories, whether it comes from organic free range chicken or a mostly-circus-animal-some-filler taco from Taco Bell. If it fits in your macros and calorie count, you're going to lose weight.

Holy my gawd...i think I just found my new years resolution I"M GONNA drive my hubby as crazy with this murky and vague and impossible to pinpoint diet as he has with the Paleo ONLY I am totally gonna trump him b/c GOD! muahahahahahaaaaaaa!
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

Stahp it! I'm gonna hurt myself from falling out my chair laughing so much. I'm so sure, "i am dissappointed ppl get caught up in religion"....lol. better go correct the REST OF THE HUMAN population. OMG i die.

It might be time for you to take a break from the computer for a little bit before you hurt yourself. Just a suggestion!:flowerforyou:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Honestly as a Christian I'm a little offended that someone would take the story of Daniel and try to make it into a weight loss plan. If that's what you got out of the story, you're doing it wrong.

I don't wanna offend you b/c i'm a christian too, but does this robe and aura make my butt look big? b/c i just decided to do the daniel thing too. it looks way more comfy than my shorts, yo.

Female_Jesus_screen.jpg

(i didn't know they had curling irons in the year 1?)

:laugh:

Very slimming. :flowerforyou:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Holy my gawd...i think I just found my new years resolution I"M GONNA drive my hubby as crazy with this murky and vague and impossible to pinpoint diet as he has with the Paleo ONLY I am totally gonna trump him b/c GOD! muahahahahahaaaaaaa!

Ask him if he knows what a healthy carb is for me too, will you? I want to be able to strategically place Mr. Yuck stickers on the unhealthy carbs in my food and eat around them.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I never heard of this, I had to look it up.

As far as diet fads go, it seems pretty reasonable. It doesn't appear to be just a diet, but a lifestyle plan with spirituality mixed in. I just skimmed it, but the diet portion seems to be like the paleo diet sans meat? As long as your get in your recommended protein, I don't see an issue with this "program".

Religion is a huge motivating factor for many people, I don't see the problem with applying it to fitness. Actually, I wish more churches and religious segments would do the same. I've seen far more dangerous and ridiculous faith based fitness programs out there. Scientology anyone?!?!

I looked it up as well the other day to see what it was. The food list I saw, included most meats, except for pork. It said to have 50% of your plate non-starch veggies, 25% lean meats, and 25% whole grains. Plus a side of fruit.
    The diet itself sounds very healthy, but I love pork too much to give it up. It also is lower fat than my body prefers, as nuts and seeds, and other healthy fats are used only sparingly.

As for the marketing of it, yes, it appears to be a way for Pastor Rick to make another killing like he did with Purpose Driven Life. Doesn't make what he says bad, but when tons of money start rolling in, it can corrupt the motives of even the strongest of Christians.

But hey, if it helps some people in the Christian community to start living healthier lifestyles, than go for it. I grew up in the Southern Baptist community and gluttony was definitely not considered a deadly sin in our church. The potluck suppers are always awesome!

QFT. and taking a break. good looking out. thanks. :flowerforyou:
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

*Nods*

Although I'm not really so much offended as befuddled. The way I learned it/read it, the point of the story was less the specific foods and more obedience to God.

I do think it's wrong for someone to use this religious thing to make money. There's a word for that: priestcraft.

Also tagging so I can come back later for amusement.
  • Trease1014
    Trease1014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow - I'm surprise by the intensity of some of the post on this subject. I want to express the Daniel Plan is not intended to be diet plan. It is a fast with the intent of spirtual reflection. The fast usually last 21 days and during this time you're primarily eating fruits and vegetables. I've done the Daniel Fast many times and yes, while on the fast I've lost weight. I didn't do the fast to lose weight. Hope that helps. Happy New Year!
  • Kindone
    Kindone Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The Biblical story of Daniel had him eating only vegetables and water because the meat was sacrificed to the king's idols, not because meat was bad for him.
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My mom did it and lost 10 lbs in a month! The Daniel fast is about cleaning your body out by eating very little/no meat, and tons of vegetables. Leavened bread is replaced by flat breads and pita bread. All religion aside, it is a very healthy fast, but it is just a fast. I think the maximum days they recommend is 21 days.
  • canadianvampyregurl
    Options
    from what i hear, cleanses of any sort are like fad diets...they work well for a short period of time and then people gain the weight back...it makes no sense to me...i would rather make lifestyle changes that are healthy for me than put my body through something too intense and quick..slow and steady is more likely to work best and you will want to maintain it better...this just doesnt sound like a good idea
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Who is in for the John Paul the Baptist diet? Locusts and wild honey, anyone?

Anyone?
    funny_animals_112.jpg

:bigsmile: lol im down for chocolate cherpies and the honey- i can make booze out of it and yeast :drinker:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

*Nods*

Although I'm not really so much offended as befuddled. The way I learned it/read it, the point of the story was less the specific foods and more obedience to God.

I do think it's wrong for someone to use this religious thing to make money. There's a word for that: priestcraft.

Also tagging so I can come back later for amusement.

Maybe befuddled is a better word. Basically I'm just shaking my head.
  • nonnalynn
    nonnalynn Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I think Daniel didn't want to eat the Babylonian king's delicacies due to the fact that they were unclean according to Jewish law and may have been used in sacrifice to foreign gods. (Daniel was in captivity in a foreign land.) It was a moral fast, not a diet or a desire to be healthier. He asked to just have veggies in order to avoid sacrificial meat, not meat in general. He felt that his God was worthy to be followed, so he did all he could to express that. His God wasn't forcing him to follow, just leading. We can follow anything...or any diet...we want. Choose today for yourself... but know what you're choosing. Research thoroughly all the different diets that you consider. Glad you asked about it.
This discussion has been closed.