WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All;
    I see there are a lot of newbies..Welcome!!!...Kind of a dreary day here in Halifax....suppose to get a storm tonight and tomorrow...25 to 30 cm :noway: ...sooo glad our car is parked inside....too many years of shoveling the stuff...now that we don't have to shovel or sweep the car clean..it is pretty on the trees....I pray that the people in Toronto Ontario have their power back and again have heat...bless you for getting thru that horror...or still going thru it....Ice can be pretty but oh the mess it can cause :grumble: ...we never got the ice-storm Thank God...but it sure has turned cold here...
    I found out we have an exercise room in this apartment building..DH & I went there yesterday...will take me awhile to *acclimatize* myself with it...I am really out of shape.....just hope the Fibro or chronic pain will be kind while I **attempt** to exercise... will start off gently... but I find I want to jump in whole hog and go big on my first tries....so I have to remind the mind what happens when I overdo it...

For my January Goals I am hopefully doing different then I did in Decembers 2013 goals..my goals then was *to lose any amount of weight....For January 2014 goals I am going to try and lose 5lbs....doesn't sound like much but I have been staying at this weight or little above for too long now...time to pay the piper.....

So January 2014 goals is--To lose 5lbs
    --To log *everything* that goes in my tummy
    --To come and post on this group more often

So we will see how this works out.....Good luck to All.. with their goals...may we all fight this battle together...

Take Care!!!
    LizPlus fr Halifax;Canada
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hi all.

I am reading The Happiness Project as suggested by Barbie and it is a true cleanse. It maps out what the author did to find her contentment or joy of life. I am just at the" exercise" part of the book but it is blunt and so applicable to my life. It struck my how we are all so alike in our day to day struggles..."you're not alone in this."
    I am royalty, too...I am a plateau princess! I have been REALLY good about keeping at 1200 cals/day and exercising. I am at 144 this morning, have been here for a good week, and I thought for sure I would drop a smidge because I actually was hungry when I went to bed last night. I can look at food and gain a pound, not eat it and I still don't lose. It makes me think I have to up my weight lifting...push more. When I treadmill, I do Intermittant Training based on the recommendation I saw on PBS. 1minute of all out running, drop down and rest a minute, then repeat 3 times. It makes me huff and puff and doesn't kill me.
    Susan :smile:
  • jmthib58
    jmthib58 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I'm new to the message boards. I'm 55 and want to lose some weight to improve my health. I don't ever expect to weigh what I did when I got married. I think a realistic goal for myself is to make some small changes that I can stick with, which will lead to a modest weight loss. One of those changes is getting support and motivation from other women my age.
    Jeanne
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,053 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I think it is time for me to thank all of you in this community of women 50+ who have spoken words of encouragement to me in 2013. I started, I stopped, I started again and left on a hiatus and then came back. Yet, every time I came back you were there. Sometimes it was your turn to encourage and sometimes it was mine. This is what a community is made of. No one is on a high all the time and no one is at a low all the time. We are all at an age where life has taught us way to many lessons, and yet we are open to learning. How profound.

May your happiness and health reach new heights in 2014. And may the scale smile too :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:heart: Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC

P.S. to any newbies: we are used to signing our first name and general area where we are from on this forum.

Love it Renny :heart:

Good morning ladies,

DeeDee drinking water as I type. Appreciate the reminder.

Welcome Jeanne, drenee, barneygirl, sue for Shropshire:flowerforyou:

Another big thank you to Barbie :flowerforyou:

I too will look into the Happiness Project.

Barbie your mantra of mindfulness made me think what mantra do I want to use. For me right now it is to approach my life with intention. This quote came from Seven Habits of Highly Successful People. (It is not the exact quote.)

Between the stimulus and the response there is a space.
    It is what you do in that space is that makes the difference.

My intention is what to do with that space.

Now that I am watching less TV I do have more space.LOL

:heart:
    Margaret
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Happy Thurs, Happy New Year to all! Welcome everyone new!

I'll be spending less time on the computer this month as I work to change a few habits. Basically, my intentions are to move more and eat less. Watch those macros, get enough of all the good things, and keep potassium up.

On the mental aspect, "thinking thin" is on the agenda. Change the mindset, move into the new year on a positive note.

Renny, how beautiful your words are! :heart:

Be well everyone, be happy and strong!

:smile: jb in foggy Portland
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Jill in Western MA: Stay warm and safe. I hope you can have some fun with the snow. Below zero without windchill is ccccold. :flowerforyou:

Juanita in Sudbury: Stay safe and warm. I love your goals for the month.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: The ticker will change soon. You’re doing a great job. I notice that you’re having luck with size changes. They have been so motivating for me, even more so than ticker changes. And the steps you’re doing these days are impressive. I’m glad you’re having so much success. I bought one pair of skinny jeans. I needed to be able to do that on some emotional level, I guess. I don’t wear them often because they aren’t comfortable. I do like the way I look when I wear them, so I save them for special occasions, like our New Years dinner.:flowerforyou:

Vicki: Your goals look great. Enjoy shopping at Dillards. :flowerforyou:

Pat in AZ: Welcome back! You’ve been missed.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Sue in SD: You have a challenging year coming and I hope it is also a fun one. The decision to retire was tough for me, but I’m glad that I did. In my case, making the decision was the hardest part. Following through has been simply a matter of doing what comes next. I did have a little waver when I needed to decide whether to renew my teaching credentials, but I’ve confirmed for myself that I want to remain retired.:flowerforyou:

Meg: Enjoy your snow in Omaha.:flowerforyou:

Alison: The kid’s birthdays are markers for time passing that has real impact for me. Both of my “babies” are in their 30s. My time since they’ve been on their own went into work, commuting, and getting by for a lot of years. Now that I’m retired, I am not so tired all the time. :flowerforyou:

Brooke in CO: I love Kathy’s quote, too, and I’m borrowing it for a while. I am willing to relinquish the Plateau Queen title if I can be a past Plateau Queen. I finally reached my goal after a year and a week. Now I’m trying to learn how to keep it off and stay healthy. I’ve shifted my focus to fitness and have encountered road blocks their, too. Injuries sideline a person for a while.:tongue:

Heather: Congratulations on writing. That is a noteworthy accomplishment. I do face exercises but not as often as I was before. I simply forgot. I’m so glad you reminded me.:flowerforyou:

Cynthia: Holding the weight line in the holidays is a significant accomplishment. Congratulations!:flowerforyou:

Patty: Welcome! It is exciting to have someone who is planning to become a personal trainer among us. Where are you from?:flowerforyou:

DeeDee: You are welcome to be a Plateau Queen, too. I’m now calling myself a past Plateau Queen. I notice there are always a bunch of rodeo queens. Maybe some are Princesses and one is the Queen. I’ll settle for Past Princess and hope I can keep it in the "Past" category. BTW, you have a beautiful face. I love the picture.:flowerforyou:

Liz from Hallifax: It is so good to see you here.:flowerforyou:

Newbies: Welcome. This is a wonderful group of supportive women. Please let us know where you’re from. I know I sound like a broken record to those who’ve been here a while, but I love knowing. It makes things more fun.:flowerforyou:

Jb: As you are reducing computer time, I hope you’ll make an exception for us. All this fog is getting old. We don’t seem to have a build up of auto fumes out where we live. I hope that is true for you, too. Sometimes air inversions can really be unhealthy. :flowerforyou:

I’m wondering when I can return to yoga, now that my doctor has given permission and instructions. This is usually a yoga day, but I don’t know if our teacher is back from her holidays. She usually sends out an email, and I haven’t seen one. I’m too late to go today if she’s teaching, but I’ll call the studio later and ask if I don’t hear from her.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"What the New Year brings to you will depend a great deal on what you bring to the New Year." ~Vern McLellan (borrowed from Kathy in IL)

January goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Focus on fitness: daily cardio plus strength training a minimum of twice a week.
    3. Water: According to an article a friend posted on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness on the body. So I’ll try to follow these recommendations:

* 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies woke up to minus 37 celcius windchill minus 50:noway: just wanted to roll over and stay in bed till july

Dee Dee your picture is so pretty:heart:
    Renny your words are so well said and we are all the same:flowerforyou:
    Pat phoo so nice to see your post I too have missed your time with us

I have the happiness project on my list need to see what this is all about, sounds life changing
    I admire those who do planks just some floor yoga poses get me ouching and wondering will my knee ever let me get up off the floor again, but I am down there trying last year I would have just said no way, I think you ladies are rubbing off on this couch potato:smile:

Well time to get busy taking down decorations and cleaning up , did groceries in the deep freeze but got more than half my daily steps in so far yay....take care stay warm and safe
    Juanita in sudbury
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday! I'm amazed, as always, by the number of posts -- it's great that we have such a large and diverse community. I'm definitely missing my Fitbit, but am using the calories burned part of my treadmill to log. I'm really obsessive about things like that, and the new treadmill is already making me crazy! :grumble: I've only used it 3 times so far. Today I upped the speed and the incline, but it took me 5 minutes longer to burn the same number of calories as yesterday. Huh???

Dillard's sale was a lot of fun, but super crowded. I usually hate that sort of thing, but once a year is more interesting than anything else. I got 13 new pieces of clothing, but no pants since they are less amenable to weight changes and I'm planning to be smaller soon. I do love shopping and clearance season! I started another bag of donations from my closet to make room for the new things.

Joyce – Your husband sounds like a keeper in many ways! We can still wish they’d be nicer to us, but they aren’t likely to change at this age. Good job on getting all of those steps in!

Michele – I like your attitude about the Fitbit – that the person who found it needs it more than me. That’s a much nicer way to think! I did write to Fitbit, as I also remembered Cheryl losing hers. They haven’t answered yet as to whether they’ll replace it or not (I don’t have the receipt that they want), but I’m going to need to get a new one either way.

Sylvia – 4 lbs. off is great for the month of December!!!

Brooke – I hadn’t thought of cooking the berries with the oatmeal. Thanks for the suggestion! Did you get the message that I sent you?

Katia – 440 days of logging…. Wow! You’re doing something really wonderful for yourself, and I applaud you.

DeeDee – Here’s to your plateau finally breaking this year! :drinker: :drinker:
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Only doing the last page just to far behind and getting the grandkids soon.

Liz
    Take it easy on the exercise don't start with the big bang.
    better to do some today and tomorrow than a big bunch today.
    And not go back for a month good luck.

Juanita
    This cold spell has to break -43 up North here in Cochrane this morning.
    -1 in Edmonton and we usually get there weather about four days latter.

Jane
    Sorry to hear you lost your fit bit and they don't come cheap. Hope they replace it for you.

Well as for myself I lost a few lbs over the weekend and that is great. But I had a couple bad asthma
    attacks to do it. Hard to eat when you can't hardly breath. Feeling better now but don't want that back or the lbs.

Jan. goal is to get back to my lowest weight I was at in 2013 it's very doable. About 10 lbs.

Linda in cold Northern Ontario.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,850 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone!

Welcome to all the newbies! This is a great bunch of ladies. Feel free to vent, rant, and cry on us. We are here to support each other.

"Baby it's cold outside"! Snowing with wind and below zero wind chills. Predicting the snow to get heavy overnight and up to 10 inches by morning! BRRRRRR!

My SMART goals for January:
    I will lose 5 pounds by January 31 through consistently going to Curves at least 4 times a week and increasing my daily steps to average 8,000 steps a week. My ultimate goal is to weigh 145 or less pounds and be healthy by this time next year.

Amendment to goal: if I cannot make it to the gym 4 times in a week, I will exercise to my walking video for at least 30 minutes.

SMART goal - Specific, Measurable, Actionable/achievable, Realistic, and Timed.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy thurs.
    Snow,snow snow at least 6-8 'Gonna be cold -0 with wc .Burrr.
    Have a good day.
    HUGS
    jane
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the words of encouragement. I'm really not upset it didn't show another pound gone since I am so used to seeing the pounds creep off rather than leap off like they do with the younger people. I am hoping beyond hope that because it will help them stay off. Some one asked on the main message board if they were going to be counting calories the rest of their life. Most people responded that yes they would be if they planned on keeping the weight off. A lot of people responded that they stopped counting and just guesstimated when they got to their maintenance and didn't keep it off.. I guess as long as MFP is here I will be here logging my meals!

I got my weekly FitBit report on my email yesterday. I never joined the community there so when it gives me my placement among my friends I am always in first place since I have no friends! So, to all you Fit Bit owners here, can I add you as friends and what is your name. If not comfortable in giving your name here just PM it. But I need motivation to keep the steps up. Many days I am just content to get in 2 or 3 thousand steps in. So I need motivation. I have a friend I used to work with that has one and I asked her yesterday and she is like me, no friends. So I will add her. She also asked if I had any suggestions about motivation about diet and support. So I will tell her about you guys. She is like a lot of us, her grand children are her life now, she is a retired nurse. Her name is Nancy.

Well, have made a list of things that need to be done today so it's not getting done by itself. Better stop writing and get moving.

Joyce,snowy Indiana
  • KABH74
    KABH74 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone. You are all so inspiring.
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    QUESTION: Does anyone know how to count juicing? I recorded all of the fruits/veggies, but it seems high since the juicer throws out all of the pulp, skin, etc. HELP, please!
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Day 2 and already on page 5 - what an awesome group! No way I have read all the posts but just in scrolling through I see some good news and some not feeling so well like me. I ended 2013 rebounding from the flu and started 2014 in the same fashion. I am feeling better and lighter! I get to start to 2014 in ONEDERLAND! I haven't been there since 2007 and it is such a boost for me. My FBS was 86 today so I am hopeful. I do have some issues with the UC but I''ll address those with the doc in a couple of weeks. For now I an HAPPY!

Goals for December were met. I increased my activity as planned and I lost weight. For 2014 the only goals I can set for now are to work on keeping healthy and keep my momentum going. MFP has been such a support for me and I want to thank all the lovely ladies who have contributed with such encouraging words and moral support.

God bless you all today and in the days to come.

Happy 2014!!!

Teral, Plano TX
  • lkw0311
    lkw0311 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi, starting fresh for the New Year. Looking for some 50+ friends to help me along.
    I turn 60 this year and my youngest daughter is getting married in Oct, so I have goals to get healthy and fit!
    Please add me as a friend as I need all the help I can get. Hope to join all of you on the journey too!
    Thanks, Laurie
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,850 Member
    Options
    Joyce in Indiana, add me to your fitbit! Rita Delia!

The more the merrier!

Rita in Central CT
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon good ladies. Sounds like alot of us are getting this cold and snow. I am hoping by Monday things have settled down as we are to leave for Cedar Rapids, Iowa to watch the DGS while the new DGD is born. Plan to leave on Monday and be home on Friday. Also plan to see our DGDs that belong to our son that passed away. His 40th birthday would of been tomorrow. Can't believe he is gone almost 15 years.
    Well I went to Dillards last evening and it was interesting. Some people just like moved in and would not let anyone near the items they were going thru. I do not like crowds so was not there long. I did get acouple outfits for the new baby and I got myself a pair of lounge pants. So excited as never had any and they are 2 sizes smaller then this time last year. I could of even went down another size.

Alison-- So sorry to hear about your friend from the gym. Cancer scares me!! A man I work with had a kidney removed last year as they found a tumor. This last summer they found several in his lung. So they put him on these meds that cost several thousand dollars a month. At first it seemed to be working all but one was gone. This last month they found another one and said the meds are not working.

Maraget-- Great Goal 1 hour of TV a day. DH and I are trying to limit our computer time in the evenings to 1 hour.

Katia--440 days of logging that is fantastic.

Joyce--I agree as long as MFP is here I plan to log my food and weight once a week.

Well have a safe and warm rest of the day and remember we are all in this together.

Blessed! Vicki GI NE
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,706 Member
    Options
    oh dear goodness,
    a day it has been, i did shovel some snow and am sweeping the floors , but darn all I want to do is eat:grumble:
    I went to get the oil changed on the car and darn it, now im hooked on law and order-special crimes:tongue:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Well, I guess it's afternoon already. I've wasted a lot of the morning watching you tube videos on (don't laugh) face exercises, bat wing reducing, and making your own hula hoop, among others. I started with one thing and then other suggestions popped up, and I went off in all different directions. Good way to waste time.

I did manage to take the ornaments off the tree this morning but am waiting for hubby to come home to wrestle the tree back into the box. And I emptied one large tub of ceramic stuff that belongs on the glass display cases. We had packed stuff away before we remodeled and FINALLY I got a tub unpacked. One down, thirty to go. But now I can legally stand on the step stool which is rated for 225 pounds! So I can reach the top shelves.

Your shopping at Dillard's reminds me of my favorite Dillard's story from several years ago. Hubby and I went shopping at the mall in Winston-Salem around Christmas, and there were some things I wanted to try on in Dillard's so hubby sat down in the "husband chair" to wait. I left my purse with him for safekeeping. When I came out of the dressing room, I found him sprawled out, head back, legs stuck out, snoring loudly, with my purse perched on top of his tummy. The sales clerks and other shoppers were gathered around giggling. I picked up my purse (anybody could have picked it up) and paid for my items and he didn't even wake up till I told him I was done. I've never left my purse with him again. And I haven't been back to that store either. :blushing:

My leg is getting a lot more sore for some reason. Hopefully it's just the bruise healing, but it hurts to jiggle - and god knows I jiggle when I move. Wish I had an old fashioned long line girdle to hold it all in place. I'm thinking about ace bandage, but not sure that would stay up. But the bruise is getting better every day, so it's all good. But taking it easy is killing me!

New Year's Eve we were watching David Letterman who had stupid pet tricks on. The dogs were both watching intently, which was fun to watch, but Molly was annoyed that one dog had a ball, so she barked at him. All balls belong to Molly, after all. Even tv balls. It made us laugh.

Well, enough rambling. I hope you're all having a great day.

Sylvia