CNN article: 10 Reasons To Give Up Diet Soda

Options

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

I have an auto immune disease, if I drink a diet soda my pain levels go from a 3 to an 8. No one can convince me that that crap is not bad for you when it gives me pain.

So, if something adverse happens to YOU because of a specific thing, then it's bad for all of us. Got it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I have an auto immune disease, if I drink a diet soda my pain levels go from a 3 to an 8. No one can convince me that that crap is not bad for you when it gives me pain.

So, if something adverse happens to YOU because of a specific thing, then it's bad for all of us. Got it.

Indeed, I'm lactose intolerant...

...so *no one* should drink milk...ever...

...because why would anyone want to drink something that makes my stomach swell up like a balloon???
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

...because why would anyone want to drink something that makes my stomach swell up like a balloon???

RME....who mentioned an intolerance? I did not say I am intolerant, I have a disease that gives me joint pain when I eat or drink a substance that causes inflammation in the body. There are so many different reports on this subject and it seems that people only want to accept the ones that they want to agree with. I love diet soda, I love processed food, I love a whole bunch of things that are the list of "inflammatory foods" and can not eat them because they indeed give me pain due to inflammation. My point is that there are people that do not believe that processed foods are unhealthy because of the science they choose to follow. I see so many people on here start talking "the science" and have no earthly idea what they are talking about. They get their information from a dude that has posted 3000k forum posts a year with a profile pic of ripped abs and no face. There are nutrition courses on line and for free. People need to actually educate themselves instead of getting their phd from MFP Forum University.

Jim Cramer, a billionaire who has some of the best doctors in the world just instructed him to give up diet soda, and he did. Now if it is not bad for you, why would a dr do this? And why are artificial sweeteners on the list of things for pregnant women NOT to consume?

Case in point, most people do not get serious about health until something bad happens to them. I am not eating healthy so I will look different, cause I look damm good. I am eating healthy so I can live a long life with good quality. What we do to our bodies between the ages of 18 and 50 is going to dictate what we are doing between 65 and 80. I, personally do not want to be sitting in a dr office, I would rather be on a hike on the side of a mountain.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is the single most researched food additive in the history of ever.

http://andevidencelibrary.com/topic.cfm?cat=4089

http://andevidencelibrary.com/topic.cfm?cat=4100
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

His forum post count was high so it must be true. Nevermind the fact that there's an overwhelming amount of peer reviewed research evaluating safety, or the lack of evidence of harmful effects at normal dosages in people who do not have PKU, because that's science and that clearly doesn't matter.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

RME....who mentioned an intolerance? I did not say I am intolerant, I have a disease that gives me joint pain when I eat or drink a substance that causes inflammation in the body. There are so many different reports on this subject and it seems that people only want to accept the ones that they want to agree with. I love diet soda, I love processed food, I love a whole bunch of things that are the list of "inflammatory foods" and can not eat them because they indeed give me pain due to inflammation. My point is that there are people that do not believe that processed foods are unhealthy because of the science they choose to follow. I see so many people on here start talking "the science" and have no earthly idea what they are talking about. They get their information from a dude that has posted 3000k forum posts a year with a profile pic of ripped abs and no face. There are nutrition courses on line and for free. People need to actually educate themselves instead of getting their phd from MFP Forum University.

Jim Cramer, a billionaire who has some of the best doctors in the world just instructed him to give up diet soda, and he did. Now if it is not bad for you, why would a dr do this? And why are artificial sweeteners on the list of things for pregnant women NOT to consume?

Case in point, most people do not get serious about health until something bad happens to them. I am not eating healthy so I will look different, cause I look damm good. I am eating healthy so I can live a long life with good quality. What we do to our bodies between the ages of 18 and 50 is going to dictate what we are doing between 65 and 80. I, personally do not want to be sitting in a dr office, I would rather be on a hike on the side of a mountain.

I think you missed the point. I'll trust that most everyone else did not.

Nonetheless, I'll simplify it for you: If a substance is bad for one person, that does not mean it is bad for all people. I am not saying that *you* should consume something that causes *you* problems. That's silly. What I am saying is that it is ludicrous to extrapolate your experience to mean that everyone else for whom it doesn't cause problems should also stop consuming it.

If it's any consolation, I don't drink diet soda...ever. If I want a soda, I drink a regular soda...with a regular sweetener with calories...the way God intended.
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    Am I the only one terrified that the OP works in the space launch industry?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    When taken at face value, diet soda seems like a health-conscious choice. It saves you the 140-plus calories you'd find in a sugary soft drink while still satisfying your urge for something sweet with artificial sweeteners like aspartame, saccharin, and sucralose. But there's more to this chemical cocktail than meets the eye.

It confuses your body
    How?
    It could lead to weight gain, not weight loss
    Explain how a 0 calorie drinks increases weight.
    It's associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes
    Yet the diabetes association and diabetes.org say it's fine to drink if you have it.
    It has no nutritional value
    Neither does water. Or spices. Or hot sauce.
    Its sweetener is linked to headaches ( aspartame )
    A link isn't a "cause".
    It'll ruin your smile over time
    Only if you don't have good dental hygiene. In fact bad dental hygiene is the main reason for "bad" smiles.
    It makes drinking more dangerous (Using diet soda as a low-calorie cocktail mixer has the dangerous effect of getting you drunk faster )
    Wut? Where's the scientific evidence for this?
    It's associated with depression
    Higher temperatures are associated with increase in pirates.
    It may be bad for your bones - (Women over 60 are already at a greater risk for osteoporosis than men, and Tufts University researchers found that drinking soda, including diet soda, compounds the problem. )
    Lack of physical activity is bad for bones. Bones get strong due to stress on them regardless of what you're drinking.
    It may hurt your heart - (Just one diet soft drink a day could boost your risk of having a vascular event such as stroke, heart attack, or vascular death, according to researchers from the University of Miami and Columbia University)

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/01/health/gallery/10-reasons-diet-soda/index.html?hpt=hp_t3
    Lol, so could watching a scary movie, or running too hard.

The reasons aren't strong. They are just fodder to think about.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Oh yeah, lets give a BLOG a cute little important sounding name and every one believe it. RME

Funny thing is, most people refuse to believe all that crap is bad for you until something bad happens to them.

But of course if all you people are worried about is the way you look, carry on.
    Having a disease would have a different outcome. General population doesn't really have to be concerned.

IDEA Fitness member
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options

Yes because it's the internet and you can be anyone and work anywhere you want. She might work in the space and launch industry but she could also be the receptionist or an executive secretary or the person who checks ID's at the door. I work at an engineering company but what does that mean?
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Higher temperatures are associated with increase in pirates.

YES!

(Thank you for that post.)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I don't drink sodas period. They are all bad for our bodies, regular and diet.
    Explain "bad" with some legitimate scientific evidence to support it. If not, then you're speaking opinion.

IDEA Fitness member
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Yes because it's the internet and you can be anyone and work anywhere you want. She might work in the space and launch industry but she could also be the receptionist or an executive secretary or the person who checks ID's at the door. I work at an engineering company but what does that mean?

cowboy-astronaut-millionaire.jpg
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125
    Options

Oh yeah, lets give a BLOG a cute little important sounding name and every one believe it. RME

Funny thing is, most people refuse to believe all that crap is bad for you until something bad happens to them.

But of course if all you people are worried about is the way you look, carry on.

I'm allergic to shellfish, so therefor no one should eat it because it is obviously horrible.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I've cut back A LOT on Diet Pepsi as I used to drink it by the gallon. Now I treat myself once in a while.

I have noticed I don't get nearly as many headaches as I used to since I cut back.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I'm allergic to shellfish, so therefor no one should eat it because it is obviously horrible.

*hooray*

There's at least one more person who gets it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Same reason my brothers doctor told him to only eat only x # of carbs/starches...he is a diabetic and has been since he was 6. But that doesn't mean carbs/starches are bad for all...just him...

Good thing too there were 7 kids in the family and no way were we giving up food for him....there would have been a revolt.

As for me getting serious about my health and losing weight and exercise wasn't due to a serious medical issue...it was the fact I was 40 and didn't like where it was headed...

A lot of us are here to ensure we live a long healthy life ...and look damn good doing it...

Edited for clarity
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I gave up Diet Coke and it was the best decision of my life!!!!!!!!

Because I found Coke Zero instead, and it is freaking delicious.