Does America Need a Plus-Size Barbie?

Options

Replies

• SuperWhoLock24601
    SuperWhoLock24601 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter to me. I never cared for Barbie when I was a child; and, when I received one, I typically destroyed it quickly.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    America needs to get over the low fat nonsense. America needs to stop allowing companies to advertise junk food to kids. America needs to alter the entire subsidy system so that healthy foods are the cheapest and the unhealthy ones cost the most, and America needs to stop feeding kids garbage in schools.
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    America needs to get over the low fat nonsense. America needs to stop allowing companies to advertise junk food to kids. America needs to alter the entire subsidy system so that healthy foods are the cheapest and the unhealthy ones cost the most, and America needs to stop feeding kids garbage in schools.

^^^

I think there should be legitimate nutrition classes in schools. Would solve a lot of the issues if people actually learned about it instead of thinking they have to do a fad diet, failing, and then saying it's impossible to lose weight.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Haven't we already determined that the traditional Barbie has an impossible body type?

this2_zps28ca6a74.gif
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

^^^

I think there should be legitimate nutrition classes in schools. Would solve a lot of the issues if people actually learned about it instead of thinking they have to do a fad diet, failing, and then saying it's impossible to lose weight.

I agree wholeheartedly with both posters!
  • blackberrymuffintop
    Options
    I don't care if they make a plus-size barbie. I find it disturbing that people are so obsessed with the body-type of a doll.
    I mean, I get that Barbie sets some pretty unrealistic beauty standards for little girls; but, for the record they set some other pretty unrealistic standards too. There are lawyer barbies and doctor barbies (careers which only a select few people succeed in) and in 2012 there was actually "President of the United States" barbie. Shouldn't we be concerned about that? It's an ideal that is totally unrealistic and practically impossible for girls to achieve because, like their dolls, they will be judged solely on their appearance.

In a country where 6 year old girls are more likely than not to worry about their weight and/or getting fat, and where exists a $200 billion dollar a year weightloss industry worldwide, and a $170 billion dollar cosmetics industry, and a $500 billion a year fashion industry, I am okay with being a little rough on Barbie for having a waistline that's equal to the width of her eyes. As tough as it can be to get there, there ARE women who are doctors, and lawyers, and heads of state. There are not women whose waistlines are equal to half the width of their faces, and holding that up as something to aspire to is horrifying.

You misunderstood me. My point was that we should stop focusing on or judging women's (or female dolls) appearance above all else. If young girls never heard comments about how one woman's body is "unrealistic" or another one is "unhealthy" than maybe they wouldn't worry about their weight at all or buy into the $170 billion cosmetics industry when they get older.
    My point was that discussions LIKE THIS ONE don't help anything.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Nope. My daughter knows they are just toys and are fake. That's because I, as a parent, don't give her false ideas of beauty. I don't fat or skinny shame. I am very careful to not talk negative things about my own body around her.

That plus size Barbie looks like something out of Robot Chicken. Does she come with her own trailer? lol
  • SuperWhoLock24601
    SuperWhoLock24601 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Haven't we already determined that the traditional Barbie has an impossible body type?

this2_zps28ca6a74.gif

Merlin!
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Barbie is a brand. All brands, especially major brands like Barbie, are managed to a high degree. Brands have Profit & Loss Statements, and it is the goal of brand managers to guide the brand in a fashion that leads to revenue and/or profit maximization. Barbie is part of Mattel, which has shareholders, and the creation and maintenance of shareholder value is paramount.

I am not privy to market research reports regarding the viability of a plus size Barbie. My sense is that a plus size Barbie would not be a commercial success. I believe based upon what I have seen that Barbies that embody a feminine look are ones that have maximized profit for the Barbie brand and made it one of the world's most iconic and valuable brands.
    A Barbie embodying traditional feminine ideals is what I think fits the end user mindset best.

That's interesting, because "traditional feminine ideals" and what's considered a "feminine look" change depending on culture. Barbie is an international brand, so maybe plus-size barbie would be a success in countries where heavier women are considered more attractive?

I really like the point about Barbie being an international brand. It is not unheard of for major brands to make alterations to their product line from market to market. McDonald's sells a kimchi burger in South Korea and wine in France. Try ordering a kimchi burger and wine in the US at Mickey D's.

However, I think this falls outside the analysis of the original question, which focuses on the US market. But it could warrant exploration in a different context.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    They should just leave it alone, it is just a toy.

If they are concerned about what girls think about their bodies then make it mandatory PT every day at school.
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    ITT:

barbie should be shorter than average (4'5)
    barbie should be purple not to offend any race
    barbie should have muffin tops
    barbie should have a toy house that includes a 2 bedrooms 2 bath and a Toyota Prius
    barbie should have a life partner that has no gender
    barbie should have a baby that is no gender
    barbie should have no hair not to offend those who have Alopecia areata

what am I missing?
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    ITT:

barbie should be shorter than average (4'5)
    barbie should be purple not to offend any race
    barbie should have muffin tops
    barbie should have a toy house that includes a 2 bedrooms 2 bath and a Toyota Prius
    barbie should have a life partner that has no gender
    barbie should have a baby that is no gender
    barbie should have no hair not to offend those who have Propecia

what am I missing?

Sounds good to me
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I do not believe that a short haired, pansexual, feminist Barbie as another poster suggested would be successful in the marketplace.

The person that said that was obviously not being serious.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here actually played with a Barbie?
    She's basically a hanger for clothes. The reason she is so oddly long and slick is so little kids can play dress-up with her.

You guys also know her Corvette doesn't have an actual engine right?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    But, in case I didn't say it, I'm not in favor of a plus sized Barbie. If they wanted to make the Barbie stronger or slightly more realistic that's fine. But, it's not something that is important to me.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Nope, leave Barbie alone.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Average Barbie:

barbie-2.jpg?w=260

Thanks for posting this! I found this picture months ago and saved it on my phone because it is inspirational to me.

Perhaps I am swayed a bit too much by our culture (I try not to be, and I certainly am better now at age 46 than as a young girl), but I believe that our media, and other images of popular culture including Barbie, do influence our values. How can we not think that media influences us when advertisers pay millions of dollars for ads. They wouldn't be paying all that money if it didn't influence consumers.

On to my real life example. In my household growing up, a woman's appearance was very important. My mother and grandmother imprinted upon me early that the way you look matters, and I translated that into "the way you look is what you are worth". This certainly became a struggle for me. Because of unrealistic media images, of course I would never measure up. So as a teen, at 100 lbs. (5'2.5"), I thought I was fat. It didn't help that 80's fashions were especially unflattering to anyone who didn't look like Barbie. Even winning a Beauty pageant or two didn't convince me that I was attractive. Luckily I like food too much to end up with an eating disorder! Anyway, it took me until I was well past 30 to appreciate what a realistic healthy body image should be. Finally at well past 40 I actually like my healthy-weight but certainly not perfect body. I think it took my being actually really fat for several years for this to happen. Now I am continuing to strive for better strength and fitness for the right reasons, which include but are not limited to looking good.

In looking through family photos after my mother's death, it made me sad to realize that she spent her entire life trying to be pretty, and never came to that place where she accepted herself. Very, very sad.

Now, I know that on these forums, I have just opened myself up for all kinds of criticism and put downs. Bring it on. I am strong enough (both physically and emotionally) to handle it. (No thanks to Barbie! BTW, I like the average sized Barbie pictured above. She looks a lot like me!)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    tag
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    this2_zps28ca6a74.gif

My two favorite men. <3