Does America Need a Plus-Size Barbie?

Options
12346»

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    barbie should have a life partner that has no gender

You've probably never undressed a Ken or Mitch doll, but at least as early back as the 1980's, Barbie already has this in her life.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    but, for the record they set some other pretty unrealistic standards too. There are lawyer barbies and doctor barbies (careers which only a select few people succeed in) and in 2012 there was actually "President of the United States" barbie. Shouldn't we be concerned about that? It's an ideal that is totally unrealistic and practically impossible for girls to achieve because, like their dolls, they will be judged solely on their appearance.

What? Becoming a lawyer or doctor is not nearly impossible for women. Becoming president is not either (still harder than for men though I believe that's changing; you're right that it's almost impossible in terms that it's almost impossible for any person, though.) Children eventually realize that not everyone will get to be president. It doesn't ruin their lives; if they are still interested, they go into politics and do their best.

Of all the things to criticize Barbie for, achieving a career?

Not to mention that the Barbie dolls have a wide range of careers, which is pretty realistic. (A quick google leads to the Barbie website on her careers, which mentions registered nurse, CEO, veterinarian, astronaut, aerobics instructor, pilot, rock star.)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    but, for the record they set some other pretty unrealistic standards too. There are lawyer barbies and doctor barbies (careers which only a select few people succeed in) and in 2012 there was actually "President of the United States" barbie. Shouldn't we be concerned about that? It's an ideal that is totally unrealistic and practically impossible for girls to achieve because, like their dolls, they will be judged solely on their appearance.

What? Becoming a lawyer or doctor is not nearly impossible for women. Becoming president is not either (still harder than for men though I believe that's changing; you're right that it's almost impossible in terms that it's almost impossible for any person, though.) Children eventually realize that not everyone will get to be president. It doesn't ruin their lives; if they are still interested, they go into politics and do their best.

Not to mention that the Barbie dolls have a wide range of careers, which is pretty realistic. (A quick google leads to the Barbie website on her careers, which mentions registered nurse, CEO, veterinarian, astronaut, aerobics instructor, pilot, rock star.)

I was also very surprised and perplexed (maybe even a little concerned) by that career comment also.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

You misunderstood me. My point was that we should stop focusing on or judging women's (or female dolls) appearance above all else. If young girls never heard comments about how one woman's body is "unrealistic" or another one is "unhealthy" than maybe they wouldn't worry about their weight at all or buy into the $170 billion cosmetics industry when they get older.
    My point was that discussions LIKE THIS ONE don't help anything.

I'd agree with you if Barbie's body was not physically impossible, or if her appearance wasn't such a huge part of her appeal. Whether or not it should be, it is. If it weren't, we wouldn't have discussions like these not because they don't help, but because they'd already have a Barbie with acne and a belly that could accommodate a uterus, and she wouldn't be named something like, "Real Girl Barbie!" She'd just be one to choose from. But to say that we shouldn't talk about a doll's appearance who comes painted on with makeup and has twinkly starry eyes is just unrealistic. Even little girls who are not negatively influenced get that Barbie is supposed to be hot.

At the very least, would it hurt Barbie and Ken to have areolas?
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    I was also very surprised and perplexed (maybe even a little concerned) by that career comment also.

That was my exact reaction, though I missed her original follow up comment that the meaning behind that post was misconstrued. I hope so!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    How about a Barbie based on a normal healthy weight woman. That is where we should be going. Either the current Barbie or the plus sized Barbie teaches lessons we don't want to teach our kids. I saw pictures of a Barbie created using healthy BMI statistics and she was slim and attractive without being unrealistic. Now that is what I am talking about.

NAk6C.gif
  • Ninguneado77
    Options

Perhaps I am swayed a bit too much by our culture (I try not to be, and I certainly am better now at age 46 than as a young girl), but I believe that our media, and other images of popular culture including Barbie, do influence our values. How can we not think that media influences us when advertisers pay millions of dollars for ads. They wouldn't be paying all that money if it didn't influence consumers.

turn off the tv and read a book
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options

Perhaps I am swayed a bit too much by our culture (I try not to be, and I certainly am better now at age 46 than as a young girl), but I believe that our media, and other images of popular culture including Barbie, do influence our values. How can we not think that media influences us when advertisers pay millions of dollars for ads. They wouldn't be paying all that money if it didn't influence consumers.

turn off the tv and read a book

Point is, for women the unrealistic body image is everywhere. Magazines, newspapers, catalogs, and yes, sometimes even on the covers of books! And, other than Nancy Drew's sidekick Beth, who was always described as plump, is the heroine of any book ever anything but attractive and sexy? Not usually.

Women, and especially young girls, really do have to fight an uphill battle to create a healthy body image.

So back to original thread. Say no to a fat Barbie, but say no to an unrealistic ally shaped Barbie as well.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    is this the OP's way of confessing here on MFP that he plays with Barbie dolls? :huh:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    That is not a "plus sized" Barbie... that is a morbidly obese Barbie... and while I'm all for accepting who a person is... being unhealthy in either direction should not be accepted... and really a triple chin? I'm technically plus sized and I don't even have a double chin...
  • Dominique14614
    Dominique14614 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    No it's only further distorting the view of what is healthy and acceptable. I'm all for pushing the healthy looking barbie. Instead of finding a healthy medium, they went from impossible proportions to obesity. Give me a barbie with achievable proportions and muscle tone.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    show me disabled barbie first. then elderly barbie. then jew barbie. THEN fat barbie. kthx.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Does America honestly model itself on Barbie? If so, that is sad....
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    NO!
  • smkean
    smkean Posts: 132
    Options
    Yes of course we need a plus size barbie... If you want to encourage obesity!
    I won't buy my daughter one, nor will I allow her to play with one if she was given it either. How mentally unhealthy.

I'm all for 'real sizes' as it makes the rest of us feel better, and it's healthier for kids, I think (uk) size 0-4 models should be banned (as the majority of people (I recognise not the case for everyone) cannot look healthy at this size. We should encourage more of sizes 10 and 12.

Obviously including Barbies and other dolls as well as the models.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    I wouldn't want to see a fat barbie, but why not a "normal" sized one? a size 6-12 body type? not a zero. I don't think we need to send the message that being obese is okay. We need to send the message to young girls that everyone has a different body and we are all different sizes and being a size zero is okay, just as being a plus size is okay.

If I had a daughter I'd teach her to take care of herself and enjoy food. Not to over indulge and not to starve herself. The media makes it seem like normal sized girls are fat when that isn't true at all.
  • smkean
    smkean Posts: 132
    Options

Agreed. It is worrying of someone thinks like this! Yes it is unlikely that someone will become a president, but it's a nice and positive aim, and I would be proud if my daughter came out with something like that, especially considering the growing numbers in people who just don't want to work!
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    No.

Barbie is a fracking DOLL. I played with Barbie when I was a child and I wasn't emotionally scarred nor did I have body issues from looking at my "perfect little DOLL" because I knew that she was (wait for it) A DOLL!

If a child is looking to their doll as a role model then there are bigger issues that need addressing.