From 461# couch potato to 225# marathoner (pic eavy)

Options

Replies

• MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are truly an inspiring person of faith. Congratulations
  • statickey
    statickey Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Great story!!!
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Well done! Congrats!!
  • docdrd
    docdrd Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I love seeing stories like yours. I so admire people who quite literally save their own life. GREAT job!!! Keep it going. And just for funny perspective, you have lost the equivalent of me 1.5 times over :-) Just astonishingly great!
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Holy weight loss batman!!!!!! You look freaking awesome!!!!
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Bloody epic, man! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    You are AMAZING! Truly inspiring. Happy New Year and wishing you continued success.
  • DeputySox
    Options
    Hardcore! You rock my friend! Drive on!
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Truly amazing accomplishment!! Thank you for sharing your story...totally inspiring!!
  • farfromperfectdottv
    Options
    Very awesome!

I love running, it truly is a life changer. At some point I want to start a running therapy group to help people make the shift to "I CAN!" and grow their self esteem!

How did you make the shift into running after the knee injury/surgery stuff? It sounds like you don't have problems with it anymore?

Also, very personal question, but I'm curious (don't answer if you don't want)- sounds like you lost the weight very quickly. How did you deal with loose/excess skin issues? I'm down less than 10 pounds lost slowly and have issues with that!

My knee injury was about 10 years ago, so time helped out. The surgeon worked miracles, and the physical therapist worked wonders. Surprisingly, my knee held up much better than it should have under my weight at my heaviest, but it's so much better now that I've lost it. When I did start running, I started out slowly. I used the Couch to 5K program and made baby steps the entire way to get to where I'm at now. I focused on endurance and stamina first instead of speed, and once I built a solid foundation, I started moving faster.

I get asked personal questions all the time, so nothing has surprised me or embarrassed me (yet, anyways!) How am I dealing with the excess skin? I guess I just do. It used to really bother me and I would try to cover it up with long shorts and sleeved shirts. Now, I've grown to see it as a battle scar now and take pride in knowing that the only reason I have it is because I've come as far as I have. I've battled insecurity, but one day during the summer I took a leap and bought some tank tops. The first time I wore one to the gym, I told my trainer I was uncomfortable with how the flabby skin under my arms looked. He told me- "Dude, don't worry about that. Look at how far you've come, you should be proud of that skin!" That really helped to boost my self-confidence, and I started wearing tank tops regularly to the gym and then out in public until I was comfortable with it and got over caring what other people thought.

As far as I know, when you lose that much weight there's really no workaround for the skin, it just becomes a part of life. When I run, most of the time I wear compression gear to hold it all on in, like why a woman would wear a sports bra. I literally have handfuls of loose skin on my midsection, I have saggy man boobs (although, not near as big as they once were), and I have excess skin on my thighs. I've accepted that I'll always have this unless I have some sort of surgery to remove it, which I probably won't unless it becomes a health problem.

One day soon, I'll be blogging about this question, since I get asked it a lot. Hopefully this helped out and answered what you were asking.
  • rachaelfokey27
    rachaelfokey27 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    OMG! Your results were jaw dropping! You look incredible!
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    Awesome job man! Well done! I am working on 300lbs down to 195 and doing a Triathlon this summer.
  • _MsLysh
    _MsLysh Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Congrats! What an amazing transformation! :happy:
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    wow. this is pretty freaking amazing. well done, you, and have a happy/healthy 2014!!!
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're amazing!! Congrats!!!!!!!
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!!!
  • caiconCristi
    caiconCristi Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Your story is so inspiring. Thanks you so much. It was exactly what I needed to hear.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    DUDE!
    your success is NOTHING short of incredible!

you, sir, are a certified BADASS!

2970_be55.gif
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    You, my friend, are a real life superhero!!! Congrats to you!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    This is beyond inspiring!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!