trying to speed up my motabilsim

Options
124»

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I am currently maintaining on 1700 calories is there anyway I could speed up my metabolism and maintain on 1900 calories without having to do extreme exercise?

Burning 200 calories/day doesn't require "extreme exercise". That's only a 4 mile walk or 2 mile run for a 180 pound person.

The caloric burn effects of adding muscle (which is already very hard to do for most people) are vastly vastly overrated. Lean mass adds about 6 calories per pound to your RMR - you'd have to add 35 pounds of muscle to reach your goal.

Or 8 minutes of Tae Bo

Hahaha. No.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat more you need to workout more to burn calories...which you can then eat.

Or build some muscle, this will enable your body to burn more calories whilst not working out.

I simply cannot see how eating many meals as opposed to 3 meals can make you burn more calories. How would that work exactly? Your body suddenly burns more because you eat more frequently? Why would it do that?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Each new pound of muscle only burns an extra 6 calories a day, so to burn an extra 200 the op would have to add like 23 pounds of muscle lol. Considering how hard it is to gain muscle, have fun with that
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I am currently maintaining on 1700 calories is there anyway I could speed up my metabolism and maintain on 1900 calories without having to do extreme exercise?

Burning 200 calories/day doesn't require "extreme exercise". That's only a 4 mile walk or 2 mile run for a 180 pound person.

The caloric burn effects of adding muscle (which is already very hard to do for most people) are vastly vastly overrated. Lean mass adds about 6 calories per pound to your RMR - you'd have to add 35 pounds of muscle to reach your goal.

Or 8 minutes of Tae Bo
    Or 5 mins of zumba
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Each new pound of muscle only burns an extra 6 calories a day, so to burn an extra 200 the op would have to add like 23 pounds of muscle lol. Considering how hard it is to gain muscle, have fun with that

But I think that's at rest, muscle also burns more in use than other tissue, but you are right, it's still a pretty small effect. Increasing activity is the way to go.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Sure. Go for a 2 mile jog every day. Unless a half hour of exercise a day is "extreme."

What will happen to your knees if you jog 2 miles everyday? Will injury occur from repetitive stress?

Not sure if srs...
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Burning 200 extra calories a day isn't that difficult to do through moderate exercise,, and even quicker if you do some HIIT training foe about 25 minutes ...