In for clear focused advice. Like.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    This may be the best forum post I've read on MFP.
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    That list is awesome. The hardest part is patience, followed by not eating all the things, then cardio. I just hate the stuff.

Thanks for posting.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    What is the "Bump" for? I see it a lot.
  • liloldDee
    liloldDee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Great post, thank you this is something that I've been thinking about a lot recently.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I can't find my clapping gif.... Thanks OP!!!
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Bump... I like this!!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    What is the "Bump" for? I see it a lot.

The posts are sorted by the date and time of the last response. Posting "bump" will bump a post up to the top of the list.
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    How am I just now seeing this??
    This is amazing.
    :flowerforyou:
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Great advice here. Though I have a question about the TDEE 20% method, and wondered if anyone could advise?
    Using this calculator www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc - which preset method should I choose if my intentions are to shed a little fat (I am only 123lb but need a body recomp as I have fat to lose in stomach area) but I am weight training to build muscle.

Any advice would be great thanks!

I don't use the preset methods, I just use the calculator because it's the one I have found most accurate. If you are new to lifting you may recomp slightly with a smaller deficit (TDEE-10%) and heavy lifting. If you like calorie cycling you could use their slow weight loss method (-20/0) and come out about the same as the TDEE-10%.

Awesome - thank you for your response. One question though, do you mean the calorie cycling would be -20% and then on workout days - maintenance calories. Do I have to worry about how the macros are split?

Yes, for calorie cycling on your off days (or cardio days) you would do -20% and on lifting days you would eat at maintenance. There's no real advantage to doing that vs just eating -10%, but it can be satisfying to have more calories one day. Macros is going to be something you will determine based on feel and experience. My suggestion is simply make sure you get around 1g/lb lean body mass for protein and experiment with carbohydrate and fat numbers. Don't cut carbs or fat completely because both are good for the body and muscles.

Thank you kindly for your time and advice! :happy:
  • RoseBlueGreen
    Options
    truth be told:happy:
  • sierra_12
    sierra_12 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    love it (:
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    For the strength training, I could use bodyweight right?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    For the strength training, I could use bodyweight right?

You sent me a message about this, but I'm going to answer in this thread anyway. Body weight is a starting point for many people. Eventually you will need to incorporate some sort of extra weight. I suggest You Are Your Own Gym for body weight and then progress to a program like New Rules of Lifting or New Rules of Lifting for Women. The New Rules books are very informative.
  • jporter2004
    jporter2004 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    this thread is a keeper! seems I am not doing it all wrong ~ lol

thanks
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    bumping! thank you!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting weights for the last 3 weeks and I swear my stomach already looks nicer. I decided to do that whole, eating closer to maintenance on my workout days.. I only did it for the first time yesterday, so I can't say much about it. Except t was soo nice to have all that food for lunch.