So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    :heart: OP :heart:

You're my new role model. Your back looks amazing!!!
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have a question just done my tdee on a website and it says 1542 (cos at the min I don't exercise) and when you take away 20% it works out about 1234, is this how I am suppose to work it out?? (At the min mfp is set to 1370 cos I told it I wanted to lose 1/2lb a wk)

You are within 20 pounds of your goal and not exercising. You don't have to use 20%, you can use 10% or 15%. The reason why I said to use 20 is because most the people following ALL the advice I gave will have a higher TDEE from the exercise. If you aren't exercising and you don't have much to lose then your TDEE will be lower (you'll also have to be careful with intake because not weighing something as simple as peanut butter could put you over your TDEE very easy).

Ahhhh ok I get it now sorry for being thick lol ????
    Will try 10% and see how I get on and then increase when I start exercising again (hopefully it works for me ???? need rid of my mummy tummy lol) oh and congrats on the weight loss etc...
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Question: Okay so I went to the website you suggested for TDEE and put in all the info they asked for. I decided to look at the whole thing, and it's telling me that it will take me a year to lose 60lbs using "intermittant fasting" can you please help me understand why it is such a slow approach? I realize it's not going to happen overnight (it's taken me 3 months to knock off 14lbs) but this just seems way too slow!
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    Ok so now that I've done the math it sounds like I'll be losing a pound a week for the next year, going at my pace. >.< It sounds SOOOO SLOOOOOW though! I want to lose 2lbs per week! I'd like to fix my health issues a little faster! :p
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Ok so now that I've done the math it sounds like I'll be losing a pound a week for the next year, going at my pace. >.< It sounds SOOOO SLOOOOOW though! I want to lose 2lbs per week! I'd like to fix my health issues a little faster! :p

More likely than not, you'll notice your health markers improving as you lose the weight and/or get fitter. Whether you do 1 lb per week or two, the point is to select an approach you can actually stick to for the long haul and accomplish your goal. One year is going to come and go, anyway. Where do you want to be?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Delete
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Question: Okay so I went to the website you suggested for TDEE and put in all the info they asked for. I decided to look at the whole thing, and it's telling me that it will take me a year to lose 60lbs using "intermittant fasting" can you please help me understand why it is such a slow approach? I realize it's not going to happen overnight (it's taken me 3 months to knock off 14lbs) but this just seems way too slow!

You don't have to use "intermittent fasting" the calculator is just from an intermittent fasting site. On average I lost 20 pounds a year and it took 3 years to reach my goal. No matter how fast or slow it is you'll still be happy when you get there. I would rather lose slow, fill my protein and strength train than try to drop it as fast as possible. In the long run you'll have less weight to lose because more of the weight will come from fat, meaning better body composition at the end.

You obviously don't have to listen to my advice. By all means set your goal to lose 2 pounds a week on here. Although your body has shown that it is happy losing a pound a week. The point of my entire post was saying you have to eat at a deficit, eating next to nothing is not necessary, strength training and protein are important to body composition.
  • meankeen
    meankeen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    so you want a nice and flat belly part 1/1:

eat calorie deficit, and hit the weights (hard).

/thread
  • ogmomma2012
    Options

You don't have to use "intermittent fasting" the calculator is just from an intermittent fasting site. On average I lost 20 pounds a year and it took 3 years to reach my goal. No matter how fast or slow it is you'll still be happy when you get there. I would rather lose slow, fill my protein and strength train than try to drop it as fast as possible. In the long run you'll have less weight to lose because more of the weight will come from fat, meaning better body composition at the end.

You obviously don't have to listen to my advice. By all means set your goal to lose 2 pounds a week on here. Although your body has shown that it is happy losing a pound a week. The point of my entire post was saying you have to eat at a deficit, eating next to nothing is not necessary, strength training and protein are important to body composition.
    Yeah I totally love it, I guess sometimes, being as big as I am, I wish that fad diets worked! >.< "30lbs in 30 days" type stuff.
    Thanks for the reply, I didn't think you'd be available! :p I usually don't get responses from OPs.
  • heartimpelled
    Options
    great info :D thx u very much
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post - it is just what I needed!
  • theduchessdubai
    Options
    Thanks for the great info! So helpful!
  • janellfelker
    janellfelker Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    OP, did you eat at TDEE-20% each day or did you use the info on the third tab and eat at TDEE on workout days? And when you use the 1percentedge.com calculator, do you leave all of the choices on the right side of the second tab (Basic Info) at their defaults? I know that the calculators are best estimates but I'm wondering if you have found that one calculation is more true than another.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    OP, did you eat at TDEE-20% each day or did you use the info on the third tab and eat at TDEE on workout days? And when you use the 1percentedge.com calculator, do you leave all of the choices on the right side of the second tab (Basic Info) at their defaults? I know that the calculators are best estimates but I'm wondering if you have found that one calculation is more true than another.

I just ate at TDEE-20% (or -15%) every day. I didn't change it for workout days because I lift 5-6 days a week. On the second tab I put in as much information as I had and left the BMR calculation at the default. On the third tab I custom selected -20% (currently I do closer to -15%).

The calculator for 1percentedge.com and for IIFYM.com are pretty close and I have found them both to be pretty accurate as far as TDEE goes when I am honest.
  • Nicci93
    Nicci93 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you still working on losing weight, hence the -15%, or do you do that in order to account for days when you want to splurge?

I'm kind of hitting a wall, mentally, after losing all year. I'm reminded of when we built our house and the frame and siding went up so quickly but then the detail work seemed to take forever. I've lost a lot this year and am down to the last 10-15 pounds and it's just kind of wearing on me. I think I might need to take a break and eat at maintenance for awhile.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Ummm....I don't care how skinny you get how much weight you lose or how many sit-ups, training you do, how much self discipline, self will you have, if you have had babies, especially 2-3+ there's no way you will have a ripped stomach EVER AGAIN, although it can be IMPROVED WITH EXERCISE AND MOSTLY IMPROVED BY SURGRY. There will always be that extra skin from STRETCHING.....but for me I am PROUD AND OF MY STRETCH MARKS those are my BATTLE SCARS and I would not have my BEAUTIFUL SONS WITHOUT THEM :)

umm....

<- has had a baby. No surgery here.

onto original reason for posting:

OP I often see your posts/blogs and they are always inspiring. Keep up with the awesome!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Are you still working on losing weight, hence the -15%, or do you do that in order to account for days when you want to splurge?

I'm kind of hitting a wall, mentally, after losing all year. I'm reminded of when we built our house and the frame and siding went up so quickly but then the detail work seemed to take forever. I've lost a lot this year and am down to the last 10-15 pounds and it's just kind of wearing on me. I think I might need to take a break and eat at maintenance for awhile.

Since you're losing steam, it's probably best for your mental health to take a week or two off and eat at maintenance.