So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this :) I agree with it all. I do most of this/working on it. Just trying to figure out the exact amount i should be eating from day to day and i workout usually more than that. I do a cardio session usualy 6 days a week for 60 mins each. then have 2-4 rest days. However weights is something i'm putting off for a while. Even if i could get abs i wouldn't see em for quite some time since that's where most of my 67+lbs are. Though I've started to work up slowly starting with no weights: Situps, pushups, squats. I put them into my cardio routine at the end before my cooldown. :)
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
  • jwatford
    jwatford Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This was very encouraging and helpful. The emphasis on core work is critical because there are so many articles out there saying, 'Don't do core work - you cannot spot-reduce.' While you can't spot-reduce, the core work is still so essential to flattening the stomach while cleaning up the eating to lose the belly-fat. For me, having a tighter core keeps me from having that 'I feel fat' feeling which has the domino effect of encouraging more cardio, weight-training, and clean eating. With tighter core muscles, the tummy will "feel" flat and, after all, its that confidence that we are all after anyway. IMHO
  • carrie123mfp
    carrie123mfp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for great info
  • razorbackred46
    razorbackred46 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm going for it!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    This was very encouraging and helpful. The emphasis on core work is critical because there are so many articles out there saying, 'Don't do core work - you cannot spot-reduce.' While you can't spot-reduce, the core work is still so essential to flattening the stomach while cleaning up the eating to lose the belly-fat. For me, having a tighter core keeps me from having that 'I feel fat' feeling which has the domino effect of encouraging more cardio, weight-training, and clean eating. With tighter core muscles, the tummy will "feel" flat and, after all, its that confidence that we are all after anyway. IMHO

Did you read the post?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Did you read the post?

Ha ha!

That's so what I was thinking....
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Did you read the post?

Obviously not. haha
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've always been told, "abs are created in the kitchen" lol....Stick to a clean(er) diet......Cut out processed food...cut out white flour (most junk food....)...cut out refined sugar/salt (again.....junk food......stick to herbs and spices for seasoning.....)...add healthy fats such as nuts avocado and oils (coconut oil is awesome...in protein shakes.....even coffee lol)...track your calories (that's where MFP comes in lol)....add more lean protein (chicken fish greek yogurt edamama), and aim for 1/2 your body weight...in fl. oz. of water....
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I've always been told, "abs are created in the kitchen" lol....Stick to a clean(er) diet......Cut out processed food...cut out white flour (most junk food....)...cut out refined sugar/salt (again.....junk food......stick to herbs and spices for seasoning.....)...add healthy fats such as nuts avocado and oils (coconut oil is awesome...in protein shakes.....even coffee lol)...track your calories (that's where MFP comes in lol)....add more lean protein (chicken fish greek yogurt edamama), and aim for 1/2 your body weight...in fl. oz. of water....

I've bolded the bits you got right.

Moderate calorie deficit. Adequate protein. Compound lifts progressively loaded if available to you (or something like bodyweight progression, kettlebell ladders, etc). Time + Patience.

Cutting out "processed food" (whatever that is) isn't really necessary for fat loss. It's more for personal preference and adherence. If you can stick to a calorie deficit with decent amounts of protein and still eat donuts or pizza or whatever you'd like a bit of - you'll still end up where you need to go.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I've bolded the bits you got right.

Moderate calorie deficit. Adequate protein. Compound lifts progressively loaded if available to you (or something like bodyweight progression, kettlebell ladders, etc). Time + Patience.

Cutting out "processed food" (whatever that is) isn't really necessary for fat loss. It's more for personal preference and adherence. If you can stick to a calorie deficit with decent amounts of protein and still eat donuts or pizza or whatever you'd like a bit of - you'll still end up where you need to go.

^yep.

Also, excessive salt may cause 'bloat' for some, but it does not stop fat loss - it is also an essential nutrient.

The 1/2 your body weight in water (in fl. oz I assume) is also not necessary - activity, heat and individual factors will impact how much water you need not to be dehydrated - and hydration can come from most fluids, including that in foods.
  • x0Katherine0x
    Options
    bump
  • WandaWoman41
    WandaWoman41 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Bump ski
  • fookmi
    fookmi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    wow, all the ridiculous arguments about your point 4. OP is exactly 100% correct. You do not need cardio- at all. All the genius mathematicians out there who are calculating the calories the machine says you burned than multiplying it by "X" amount of cardio sessions are a major fail. First of all- you are assuming the machine is correct is assessing how many calories are burned- it isn't (this should not be a surprise to logical people). Number 2- how come everyone fails to add back how many calories your body burns just to be alive. Someone here posted something along the lines of the machine told him/her they burned 400 Cal. We will use that number. Lets assume a 2000 Cal diet. I'm burning 83 Cals just sitting on my *kitten* with 0 movement. That cardio session burned 317 cals (again assuming the machine is right- which it isn't). Congrats- that's a glass of milk and slice of toast. 3500 Calories in a pound of fat. That half hour cardio 5 times a week burns 1500 Calories- not even half a pound of fat (once again- assuming the machine is right which it isn't). The calories burned are minimal. The best place to cut calories is diet. It is also the easiest. End of story.
  • marie3221
    marie3221 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Ummm....I don't care how skinny you get how much weight you lose or how many sit-ups, training you do, how much self discipline, self will you have, if you have had babies, especially 2-3+ there's no way you will have a ripped stomach EVER AGAIN, although it can be IMPROVED WITH EXERCISE AND MOSTLY IMPROVED BY SURGRY. There will always be that extra skin from STRETCHING.....but for me I am PROUD AND OF MY STRETCH MARKS those are my BATTLE SCARS and I would not have my BEAUTIFUL SONS WITHOUT THEM :)

Yea, I know plenty of women who have 3-4 kids and their tummies look better than mine....I only have 1 baby.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Cardio only once or twice a week for 30 minutes?

So runners can never have a ripped stomach?

I think that point may need a little adjustment there...I love me some cardio.

Pilates will also get you a flat toned stomach. Just saying.

There are many ways to get there. Not just one.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Cardio only once or twice a week for 30 minutes?

So runners can never have a ripped stomach?

I think that point may need a little adjustment there...I love me some cardio.

Pilates will also get you a flat toned stomach. Just saying.

There are many ways to get there. Not just one.

Which is why I said that is how much cardio I personally do. I never told people to not do more. More isn't vital to fat loss and that was my point. Many people think that to get rid of belly fat they are required to run for hours and hours every week. I was saying that it can be done without that. If you want to do more by all means feel free.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Seriously?

Did you have a question about something?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.