So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I have another question. After losing 70lbs 4 years ago and gaining most of it back is it possible to lose it again? The first time I lost I did medifast, which is basically a starvation diet, and then when I ate somewhat "normal" the weight came back very fast. Now I want to lose it again but this time do it in a healthy way. Why is it so much harder this time around? Thanks!
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Following.
  • stephaniewindom
    stephaniewindom Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your advice..
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.

Yes...this. ^^^

What's your reason for not liking #4? My reply to him is that if diet is on point you don't need much cardio. You can add more, but it isn't necessarily helpful. All good programs should include some cardio. I also said that food logging should be accurate, but it isn't always and doing cardio can help make up for inaccuracy (like going out to eat, the dishes can vary up to 500 calories depending on restaurant).

I think they dont like it because they don't like doing cardio??

The thinnest I ever was, I was doing a ton of cardio. I lift now too, but I still think cardio is necessary for me to lose the body fat.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.

Yes...this. ^^^

What's your reason for not liking #4? My reply to him is that if diet is on point you don't need much cardio. You can add more, but it isn't necessarily helpful. All good programs should include some cardio. I also said that food logging should be accurate, but it isn't always and doing cardio can help make up for inaccuracy (like going out to eat, the dishes can vary up to 500 calories depending on restaurant).

The thinnest I ever was, I was doing a ton of cardio. I lift now too, but I still think cardio is necessary for me to lose the body fat.

Most of the protest around #4 is because they think people should do more cardio. Many of us think that to lose weight we have to do cardio because that's what we have been told for as long as we can remember. I wanted people to know it can help, but that's not the key to losing weight.
  • RegularR0b
    RegularR0b Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Yes...this. ^^^

Most of the protest around #4 is because they think people should do more cardio. Many of us think that to lose weight we have to do cardio because that's what we have been told for as long as we can remember. I wanted people to know it can help, but that's not the key to losing weight.

100% correct. Cardio is for heart health, and for increasing your daily calorie burn. That's pretty much it. You don't HAVE to do cardio to lose fat.

By the way OP, thank you for sticking to this thread this long, and also thank you for your service.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Hi there usmcmp! Just wanted to give you an update on how I'm doing on the increase from 1300 to the 1500 intake you recommended. Since May 1st I've eaten an average of 1568 calories per day and have lost 0.5# and 1.25". This is a slower rate that I've lost in the last few months at 1300 intake (I was previously averaging one pound and one inch per week). I do feel more satisfied hunger-wise and recovery is great but would like to see faster losses. Am I recomping at this intake and activity level? Should I stick it out with the 1500 or cut back a little more? I'm 5'3", 148#, estimated bf% 30ish, 45 yrs old. Thanks again!!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Hi there usmcmp! Just wanted to give you an update on how I'm doing on the increase from 1300 to the 1500 intake you recommended. Since May 1st I've eaten an average of 1568 calories per day and have lost 0.5# and 1.25". This is a slower rate that I've lost in the last few months at 1300 intake (I was previously averaging one pound and one inch per week). I do feel more satisfied hunger-wise and recovery is great but would like to see faster losses. Am I recomping at this intake and activity level? Should I stick it out with the 1500 or cut back a little more? I'm 5'3", 148#, estimated bf% 30ish, 45 yrs old. Thanks again!!

You have a little under 30 pounds left to lose and have lost half a pound in half a month. This seems about normal and you are losing inches, so if you are lifting I would say you are closer to recomposition than weight loss. You are still losing fat though. I am sure you'd like to lose weight faster, but the goal of the method I outlined is to lose fat and maintain muscle. Stick with this a bit longer.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I will then and maybe if I stick closer to to the actual 1500 (instead of my actual 1568, eye roll) I'll do better. Recomping wasn't really my "goal" seems like it will take a long time. Just wondering, Why do you advise recomping vs a cut for me? If I am lifting and eating at least 100g protein most days won't that preserve muscle mass? Is it for my satiety and long term success? Thanks for educating me! Warm regards!
  • vilasini92
    vilasini92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Why isn't this thread sticky anymore?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I was wondering that too.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I didn't even notice that. Guess the powers that be decided it isn't good advice anymore?
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    My guess is one of the many forum glitches that is happening right now, to me this is way more important info than some of the other stickies.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    They seem to actually be looking at the suggested sticky topics today and swapping out stickies on each section. I'd love to see this topic go back to sticky status, though.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I believe Rachel rotates them out occasionally; if we made every awesome post a sticky, new posts would start halfway down the page.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I believe Rachel rotates them out occasionally; if we made every awesome post a sticky, new posts would start halfway down the page.

That makes sense. I still think mine is better than the one that seems to have replaced it...personal bias though ;)
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
  • dianeEESI
    dianeEESI Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This thread is awesome and I pretty much read over it daily. I've lost 30 pounds since September, with 15 more to go. I am 54 years old, and have the UGLIEST stomach in the world, I've lost everywhere but that damn gut just looks nasty as well as some hangy skin on my arms. I am relegated to my basement and some hand weights, can you recomend weights I should get so I can lose the last 15. I spend about a half hour in the mornings down there and feel like I could use the time more wisely and more efficiently if I knew what the heck I was doing.