So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Sorry if it sounded rude to you. But tell me what did you think your 4 kilo gain was if you said your bodyfat went down in the same sentence? It can only be muscle or fluid retention from glycogen.
  • governatorkp
    governatorkp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Sorry if it sounded rude to you. But tell me what did you think your 4 kilo gain was if you said your bodyfat went down in the same sentence? It can only be muscle or fluid retention from glycogen.

I suppose those two you stated.
    I can't say, 4 kilo of muscle would sound ridiculous in 5 weeks, however I wouldn't know what to think as I am in the middle of hormone replacement therapy as well.

It's confusing because, as you said, 19.7% of 59 is about the same as 17.7% of 63.
    So if my fat mass in kg stayed the same, what are those 4 kgs indeed then, if they can't be muscle..

Obviously I myself have a lot of questions, otherwise I wouldn't come digging around on forums.

I'm guessing I didn't think my arguements through enough and they've been invalidated.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Here's what I mean;
    U2LERF4.jpg

I'm not a chemistry expert, I'm not a dietician or food consulent.
    I cannot argue with you about what you claim to be facts.

However I have my own experiences.

Let's look at these right here. Cutting out all your personal stuff and getting down to facts.

The average sumo wrestler eats 10,000-20,000 calories per day. The average sumo wrestler skips breakfast to try to be as hungry as possible for lunch. Lunch is often 5,000-10,000 calories (depending on training level and how much they have to gain or maintain). After lunch they are so full they take a nap, then wake up to train for three hours. After training they have a second meal of 5,000-10,000 calories. It's also not told that many will snack during food prep or between meals, but the traditional wrestlers do not count those as meals or food eaten since they are not seated at a table. Do you think the average man could eat 10,000 calories across the day and not gain fat?
    http://www.banzuke.com/00-4/msg00060.html

I take issue with the "average overweight person" graph because there is no set standard to an average person. I became obese eating 7 meals per day.

Here are some studies on meal timing:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20339363
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17413096
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15452402
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16450542
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20029094
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17909674
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3508745
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9040548

Here's one on blood glucose:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405701

Here are some studies on "starvation mode":
    http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=/BJN/BJN71_03/S0007114594002151a.pdf&code=97abffefc12eb742c3e652438a6bb5dd
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3661473
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292
  • usmcmp
    Options

I suppose those two you stated.
    I can't say, 4 kilo of muscle would sound ridiculous in 5 weeks, however I wouldn't know what to think as I am in the middle of hormone replacement therapy as well.

It's confusing because, as you said, 19.7% of 59 is about the same as 17.7% of 63.
    So if my fat mass in kg stayed the same, what are those 4 kgs indeed then, if they can't be muscle..

Obviously I myself have a lot of questions, otherwise I wouldn't come digging around on forums.

I'm guessing I didn't think my arguements through enough and they've been invalidated.

Did you start strength training? Come off a restrictive diet? Add creatine? You say hormone replacement therapy, but not specifically what the regimen is. Those can all increase water weight, which would make all body fat measurement methods show a lean mass increase (since water is counted as lean mass).
  • MutluMarah
    MutluMarah Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water, try tummy exercise and maintain your food taking .. try not to stay calm at all keep moving in your placedncing is an amazing way to lose fat
  • governatorkp
    Options
    Did you start strength training? Come off a restrictive diet? Add creatine? You say hormone replacement therapy, but not specifically what the regimen is. Those can all increase water weight, which would make all body fat measurement methods show a lean mass increase (since water is counted as lean mass).

The only thing I've changed since March (When I weighed 59 kg) is nutrition.

Hormone replacement therapy started in February, which is simply a 1g Testosterone injection every 3 months.

I'm still doing the same HIIT workout in the same frequency.
    It lasts about 45-60 minutes, burning around 400-500 kcal.
    Working out 6 days out of 7, fairly sedentary rest of the day.
    I upped my calorie intake from 1600 to 2500 (gaining those 4 kgs), now 2800.

As for supplements, I don't take creatine.
    Though I've been using BCAA and L-Carnitin, however I already used those weighing 59kg.

You talk about water weight, but isn't 4kgs of 'water' rather.. much?
    Numbers are one thing, but in those 5 weeks I see a significant change in the mirror which makes me think it can't be 4kgs of fat, or water, or only those two.

Clothing still fits perfectly (I'm assuming gaining 4 kgs of fat/water would be noticeable in clothing?)
    I'm looking more muscular, mostly in back, arms and upper abs/obliques.
    Measurements with tape in those regions tell an increase.

Any idea?

• usmcmp
    Options

The only thing I've changed since March (When I weighed 59 kg) is nutrition.

Hormone replacement therapy started in February, which is simply a 1g Testosterone injection every 3 months.

I'm still doing the same HIIT workout in the same frequency.
    It lasts about 45-60 minutes, burning around 400-500 kcal.
    Working out 6 days out of 7, fairly sedentary rest of the day.
    I upped my calorie intake from 1600 to 2500 (gaining those 4 kgs), now 2800.

As for supplements, I don't take creatine.
    Though I've been using BCAA and L-Carnitin, however I already used those weighing 59kg.

You talk about water weight, but isn't 4kgs of 'water' rather.. much?
    Numbers are one thing, but in those 5 weeks I see a significant change in the mirror which makes me think it can't be 4kgs of fat, or water, or only those two.

Clothing still fits perfectly (I'm assuming gaining 4 kgs of fat/water would be noticeable in clothing?)
    I'm looking more muscular, mostly in back, arms and upper abs/obliques.
    Measurements with tape in those regions tell an increase.

Any idea?

You may have gained .5 kg of muscle, but it's very possible to gain 4 kgs of water and not have it noticeable. I gained 4.5 kg of water weight in the first week after my last bodybuilding competition. My clothes still fit the same and my muscles looked a bit fuller. I didn't look any fatter.

The average woman only gains .45 kg of muscle per month. They can gain .68 kg in a really really good month. If the testosterone is simply bringing your test levels up to a normal woman's levels your gains would be in line with the average. If the testosterone is in addition to a normal test level you could be gaining more, but still not 4 kgs worth. If your levels were low (which is what replacement indicates) then you are most likely regaining lean mass you lost previously, but you still gained mostly water with a little bit of fat.
  • governatorkp
    Options
    You may have gained .5 kg of muscle, but it's very possible to gain 4 kgs of water and not have it noticeable. I gained 4.5 kg of water weight in the first week after my last bodybuilding competition. My clothes still fit the same and my muscles looked a bit fuller. I didn't look any fatter.

The average woman only gains .45 kg of muscle per month. They can gain .68 kg in a really really good month. If the testosterone is simply bringing your test levels up to a normal woman's levels your gains would be in line with the average. If the testosterone is in addition to a normal test level you could be gaining more, but still not 4 kgs worth. If your levels were low (which is what replacement indicates) then you are most likely regaining lean mass you lost previously, but you still gained mostly water with a little bit of fat.

Thanks for taking your time to actually analyze my situation and give useful information.

To clarify, the testosterone is about cross-sex hormone treatment.

What would your advice be on lowering body fat then?
    If looking at the OP, that would be simply creating a calorie deficit while remaining to do the same exercise?

Also, what method of calculating caloric need would you recommend?
    I've been using the Harris Benedict Equation.
    My BMR is 1650 for men. (1480 for women)
    Excercising 6 times a week would put me in the Moderate-Heavy exercise rank, meaning
    Moderate:
    1650 x1.55 = 2557
    1480 x1.55 = 2294
    Heavy:
    1650 x1.725 = 2846
    1480 x1.725 = 2553

Which number would you recommend calculating a deficit on?
    + Is it even needed to create a deficit since the workouts burn about 400-500 kcal?
    If not, and the deficit exercise creates is okay, should I eat part of the deficit back or is 500kcal okay?
    + On rest day (as I said I work out 6 out of 7 days) does that mean I should less (as I don't have the energy burn of the workout)?
  • governatorkp
    edited May 2015
    Options
    For some reason it double-posted my comment.
    As it seems to not be possible to remove a comment,
    I'm clarifying this useless edited post..

• usmcmp
    edited May 2015
    Options

Thanks for taking your time to actually analyze my situation and give useful information.

To clarify, the testosterone is about cross-sex hormone treatment.

What would your advice be on lowering body fat then?
    If looking at the OP, that would be simply creating a calorie deficit while remaining to do the same exercise?

Also, what method of calculating caloric need would you recommend?
    I've been using the Harris Benedict Equation.
    My BMR is 1650 for men. (1480 for women)
    Excercising 6 times a week would put me in the Moderate-Heavy exercise rank, meaning
    Moderate:
    1650 x1.55 = 2557
    1480 x1.55 = 2294
    Heavy:
    1650 x1.725 = 2846
    1480 x1.725 = 2553

Which number would you recommend calculating a deficit on?
    + Is it even needed to create a deficit since the workouts burn about 400-500 kcal?
    If not, and the deficit exercise creates is okay, should I eat part of the deficit back or is 500kcal okay?
    + On rest day (as I said I work out 6 out of 7 days) does that mean I should less (as I don't have the energy burn of the workout)?

Your circumstances are unique and calculators are not going to work for you. Most of what you are going to face is different simply due to biological and interventional variables. Sorry I made assumptions on your situation prior on the need for hormone replacement, I did not mean it as an insult, just based off your calorie intake and your hormone replacement comment.

You are finding yourself also in a situation where recomposition may be the best method. You would lower your HIIT to focus on mostly resistance training and progressive overload. It's harder to do that when you are focusing in increasing calorie burn through HIIT. Along with a program more focused on muscle gain you would need to experiment with calorie intake to maintain your body weight. Women traditionally have lower lean mass (due to biology requiring females maintain more body fat to support reproduction) and lower testosterone, while men naturally have higher lean mass and higher testosterone. That's the reason the calculators spit out different numbers with identical statistics when you change the gender.

From your current intake I would simply lower it week by week until you maintain weight. From there your goal is to keep your weight fairly constant while lifting to build lean mass. You will be slowly lowering body fat while adding muscle. I've talked about recomposition a few times through this post because as you were stating earlier, lean people require other methods than a deficit to increase lean mass while reducing body fat.
  • governatorkp
    Options

I'll try out the things you've just suggested.

As for lowering my intake until weight stays stable, what dropping margin are we talking about?
    You talked about creatin earlier, would it be of any use to add that supplementary (at this stage)?

Would you mind if I keep contacting you as time passes and I'm trying out your suggestions?
  • usmcmp
    Options

As for lowering my intake until weight stays stable, what dropping margin are we talking about?
    You talked about creatin earlier, would it be of any use to add that supplementary (at this stage)?

Would you mind if I keep contacting you as time passes and I'm trying out your suggestions?

Most people drop about 100 calories per week. I'm guessing your margin between current intake and TDEE isn't huge, so 100 calories the first couple of weeks and 50 after that just to try to get close to TDEE. Over time you may find you need to increase calories as you lose fat and add lean mass. Your NEAT and exercise activity may not always be constant, so weighing weekly and making adjustments after a few weeks of up or down trend is a good idea.

Creatine can help with recovery. It can also help with gym performance. You'll gain up to 3 kgs when you start taking it. It's cheap and I feel 5g daily of creatine monohydrate is well worth adding in as a supplement.
    http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/

Feel free to send me a private message whenever you have questions!
  • usmcmp
    Options

Most people drop about 100 calories per week. I'm guessing your margin between current intake and TDEE isn't huge, so 100 calories the first couple of weeks and 50 after that just to try to get close to TDEE. Over time you may find you need to increase calories as you lose fat and add lean mass. Your NEAT and exercise activity may not always be constant, so weighing weekly and making adjustments after a few weeks of up or down trend is a good idea.

Creatine can help with recovery. It can also help with gym performance. You'll gain up to 3 kgs when you start taking it. It's cheap and I feel 5g daily of creatine monohydrate is well worth adding in as a supplement.
    http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/

Feel free to send me a private message whenever you have questions!

I remember taking Creatine back when I was in college football to get the gainz. I gained a bit of weight and strength. Shortly after, the substance was banned by the NCAA. I looked recently, and it is no longer banned. Not sure Creatine really did all that much for me. I was lifting crazy and eating like a horse back then and feel I would've gained strength and size regardless. I'm starting to lift heavy again and am just doing protein powder for supplements this time. Not saying Creatine couldn't help some. Just not for me.

Creatine is natural, you get it in smaller doses from eating beef and fish. Some people have naturally higher capacity and natural ability to store creatine, so they don't see much of a difference in muscular endurance. Some protein powders contain creatine. It's not going to magically build more muscle, but it can aid in gym performance and recovery.
  • amylynn194
    amylynn194 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    can you suggest something to help lose belly and tone lightly for people with umbilical hernia?? I can't strain much or do situps :blush: what else can I do? It's frustrating when I lose butt, hips,etc then my belly looks even bigger!! :'(
  • usmcmp
    Options
    amylynn194 wrote: »
    can you suggest something to help lose belly and tone lightly for people with umbilical hernia?? I can't strain much or do situps :blush: what else can I do? It's frustrating when I lose butt, hips,etc then my belly looks even bigger!! :'(

You need surgery to fix that. Lifting weights is very important to body composition (looking toned) as well as your bone health as you age. If you can't even do body weight exercises (which all do cause straining) then your hernia is impacting your health negatively. Unfortunately no matter what you can't spot reduce your belly fat. It might be the last to go and you just have to accept that.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

As stated in the OP, you want OVERALL bodyfat reduction ( so, more lean/muscle mass, less fat) and not just myth-induced "ab" workouts.

For you? I'd say skip "ab" workouts. Just get strong. Do compound heavy lifts, eat a calorically-appropriate diet.

The whole point of the OP is that situps/crunches aren't necessary. I don't even understand where your question is coming from.
  • usmcmp
    Options

As stated in the OP, you want OVERALL bodyfat reduction ( so, more lean/muscle mass, less fat) and not just myth-induced "ab" workouts.

For you? I'd say skip "ab" workouts. Just get strong. Do compound heavy lifts, eat a calorically-appropriate diet.

The whole point of the OP is that situps/crunches aren't necessary. I don't even understand where your question is coming from.

She has a hernia near her belly button that makes any sort of straining a very bad thing. She needs to get that fixed, then of course start following the advice listed. You are correct that part of my point in all of this was that crunches are not necessary :)
  • pagancostoso
    pagancostoso Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Awesome info! Thanks!!
  • cecilcollera
    cecilcollera Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Does drinking green tea help burn fat ?