• delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Homo erectus

WHOA!
    Family site, no slashfic.
  • GameTimeKB24
    Options
    Network Administrator and I lift... (well, try to lift) ==> really really try to lift. Still working on it. =)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Joe, did you invent an isomorph secret language with transitional grammar based on limb position for the Alterian upper neuter families with a historical reference to Lacandon language motes? By the age of 12? And then teach it to you little brothers, forever scarring them as "odd".

Oh, I see. Pfffft. <wiggle left hand UP> perkopfff.
    LOL
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Homo erectus

WHOA!
    Family site, no slashfic.

don't blame me, blame Eugene Dubois and whoever reclassified them into the genus Homo.

A weighty responsibility is on the shoulders of anyone who discovers a new species, in that they have to give it a name.
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nerd who lifts, I am a nerd who is considering getting into lifting. It can be very intimidating for a small girl in video game pun t-shirts to walk into the weight room at the gym. I'm also scared about hurting my back which is weak from old injuries. Any advice?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nerd who lifts, I am a nerd who is considering getting into lifting. It can be very intimidating for a small girl in video game pun t-shirts to walk into the weight room at the gym. I'm also scared about hurting my back which is weak from old injuries. Any advice?

first check with a sports doctor or sports physio re the old injuries. not any old doctor (many will just say "don't lift" because they don't have time to find out the details of the old injury etc) but one that understands sports medicine. The vast majority of the time it's safe to lift with old injuries, in fact in many cases it's beneficial, but it's always a good idea to check first.

next: get a book like Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and follow the programme in that, and pay very close attention to correct form, especially with the old injuries. bad form = risk of injury (and part of the reason a lot of doctors just say "don't lift" because a lot of people injure themselves lifting with bad form, then docs blame lifting rather than bad form). get someone who knows what they're doing to check your form for lifts as well, because it helps. some personal trainers will do this if you hire them but beware of ones that don't have a clue what they're doing, or will try to scare you off by saying it'll make you bulky (usually because they don't know anything about lifting....)

that's it really.... and don't be afraid to go in the weight room, most gym goers are happy to see new people taking exercise seriously
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I qualify:

- I lift heavy things for fun
    - My main (rather obsessive) nerdy interest is a field of biological sciences that has 8 syllables and I will throw stuff like Sahelanthropus tchadensis and neanderthal admixture hypothesis around in conversations on occasion
    - I'm even currently writing some nerdy fiction about neanderthal admixture, time travel and early Homo erectus

Oh oh oh, The Atlantis Gene series, 2 out, 3rd out soon. I read these in a weekend. Might be right up your alley.

ETA: I enjoy calling myself an elasmobranch ethologist and watching people's reactions.
  • NicoleRaeB
    NicoleRaeB Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Does being a geek who reads a lot and watches a bunch of Doctor Who count? I lifted weights in high school and whenever I get around to going to the gym.:tongue:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Does being a geek who reads a lot and watches a bunch of Doctor Who count? I lifted weights in high school and whenever I get around to going to the gym.:tongue:
    IMO any one self-identifies counts.
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Another nerd-ess who just started lifting here. I am OS fan, run Linux on my comp and teach IT skills. That should be quite enough!:tongue:
  • beckerkra
    beckerkra Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I finally made the addition of weight lifting to my lifestyle now that I have the nutrition side of things completely habitual. Complete nerd here (Nerd Card can be seen by my profile description for those that are interested in reading). Anyone feel free to add me if you are also a nerd! :bigsmile:
  • KendleX
    KendleX Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    <--- big time computer dork here.

Gaming, servers, electronics are my thing. I grew up with a 8086. ;)
  • dalekhunter
    dalekhunter Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use weights, 5 lb and 8 lb, I know, you're impressed. But just doing Beachbody workouts at home for now since I'm a stay at home mom with no child care. But I am definitely a nerd! Psychology major and Doctor Who addict, as well as Supernatural, Sherlock, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Etc! Use to do the video games thing, til I became a mother. No time for that foolishness now. I still do some Battlefield 4 once or twice a month.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm a research scientist (only slightly socially awkward - except when I've had a couple of pints, then I'm just socially inappropriate) and have just got back into lifting :smile: No gifs, but hopefully in 10 weeks I can post something in the success stories board! Fingers crossed anyway...
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm in :)
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Yep! Count me in too! I lift, and kickbox, and dance (not that kind) ...and I play video games on XBOX ...and I am attending Origins: "Great Debate: Parallel Realities" at the ASU Gammage on the 1st. Theoretical anything drives my mathy (my made up word for math nerds - he's mathy, I'm wordy and artsy) structural engineer hubby crazy so this should be an interesting date night for us lol.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I'm in. :love: