Nerds who lift

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Do you have to play video games these days to be a nerd? Since when isn't just being smart and socially awkward enough??

I don't like or play video games.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Do you have to play video games these days to be a nerd? Since when isn't just being smart and socially awkward enough??

Why is socially awkward a requirement?

"What do you mean you people!?"

Social awkwardness is one of the hallmarks of nerddom. Not because social awkwardness is a prerquisite to nerdery, but rather one of the EFFECTS of nerdery.

If you spend all of your time imaging amazing things and off in your own world, rendering an entirely accurate model of all you survey in your mind along with a functional wet-works physics engine, you don't tend to spend a lot of your time playing My Little Ponies with that ***** Sarah across the street. **** that *****, she always did think she was too good for me. WHO IS LAUGHING NOW SARAH?

Apart from dropping things like de novo lipogenesis into conversations randomly, I am not actually particularly socially awkward at all.

*takes nerd socks and leaves*

NO! You get back in here, Sara! I went to all that trouble of copying and pasting your lift gif url into here (IT TOOK 4 FINGERS!!!) and you damn well better stay :angry:
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Apart from dropping things like de novo lipogenesis into conversations randomly, I am not actually particularly socially awkward at all.

I'm not socially awkward either. I'm actually pretty socially awesome. *slinks off*

Again, hallmark, not prerequisite. Although damn, the sensitivity and pedantry of nerddom, you have in spades.
  • kimpar2
    Options
    Again, I rarely post, but since this isn't a controversial topic, and I am a huge geek (less a nerd :)

Evidence: my most recent purchase online: https://www.thinkgeek.com/product/13ba/

As for how much I lift and that... I get by. Curl 55 lbs (one-arm, no cheat), dead-lift 315 (max, as I almost give birth to my colon if I do 1 oz. more).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no pics :sad: :sad: :sad:

but a gamer who lifts....rpgs 2d
  • mabbzie
    mabbzie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My husband and I walked into the Legend of Zelda theme to our wedding reception and cut the cake to the main theme from Skyrim.

I love this. I love you.

In for the nerds lifting heavy. For nerdcred, I play a lot of FPS involving space, zombies, apocolyptic themes, ect. I also play a lot of Pokemon. And watch lots of anime. And draw manga. And write fanfiction. I just bought myself an awesome pair of Turtle Beach Xbox 360 mic headphones and am very excited about them.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I'm not socially awkward either. I'm actually pretty socially awesome. *slinks off*

Again, hallmark, not prerequisite. Although damn, the sensitivity and pedantry of nerddom, you have in spades.

Apparently joking does not work in nerddom. Sorry about that. Will remember it for next time.
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options

Apparently joking does not work in nerddom. Sorry about that. Will remember it for next time.

No one gave you the handbook?
    SENSITIVITY AND PEDANTRY.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I lift a little and have been called a nerd on a number of occasions

In fact...mah lifting sox!

5859f06d-a2d3-4965-9067-48b9eabf97ef_zps2ea6bad6.jpg

Me lifting in them

1ed1681e-87f1-42a5-8912-1ac8aa0b1b3b_zps4ca73b8d.jpg

3ea58f37-f149-403a-a05c-48eb59ead99b_zps877a9469.jpg

in action:

DwLQ5Q2.gif

:flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Apparently not as I have no idea of the point you are making.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Oh, for heaven's sake, it's glaringly obvious that he was referring to the person who replied to *your* post, not to you. *insert sheldon gif here*
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options

Allow me to elucidate as, being a nerd, I cannot permit for my point to go unappreciated.

Nerd 1 & 2 feign storming off at not meeting an arbitrary nerd criterion.

Nerd 3 tosses two other stereotypical nerd criteria out which describe the feigned behavior.

Nerd 2 is sensitive.

Nerd 3 is pedantic.

It's the circle of nerd.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Why is socially awkward a requirement?

"What do you mean you people!?"

Social awkwardness is one of the hallmarks of nerddom. Not because social awkwardness is a prerquisite to nerdery, but rather one of the EFFECTS of nerdery.

If you spend all of your time imaging amazing things and off in your own world, rendering an entirely accurate model of all you survey in your mind along with a functional wet-works physics engine, you don't tend to spend a lot of your time playing My Little Ponies with that ***** Sarah across the street. **** that *****, she always did think she was too good for me. WHO IS LAUGHING NOW SARAH?
    I am!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Allow me to elucidate as, being a nerd, I cannot permit for my point to go unappreciated.

Nerd 1 & 2 feign storming off at not meeting an arbitrary nerd criterion.

Nerd 3 tosses two other stereotypical nerd criteria out which describe the feigned behavior.

Nerd 2 is sensitive.

Nerd 3 is pedantic.

It's the circle of nerd.

What is Nerd 1?

How is Nerd 2 sensitive if it is feigned?

I need to know these things...
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I fell asleep playing Knack on the PS4 with my husband last night because of my deads session. Does count? :O
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Oh, for heaven's sake, it's glaringly obvious that he was referring to the person who replied to *your* post, not to you. *insert sheldon gif here*

No, not it was not. Her post was the same as mine...for heaven's sake!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Good lawd....OUT
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Might just be one of the best threads on MFP!!!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    For those who need help identifying their particular taxonomy:
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options
    Good lawd....OUT

I'm not sure how much of this is orchestrated nerdery or how much is genuine.

Life doesn't imitate art; art doesn't imitate life; THEY ARE THE SAME!!1

mind-blown.gif