Nerds who lift

Options

Replies

• Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    That's before we get into the D&D, fact that I'm wearing an unfashionable comic book shirt
    I have an entire closet full of unfashionable and entirely unironic shirts; they're basically the only shirts I wear when I'm not wearing gym clothes! My current favorite is "Occupy a Squat Rack" from 70sbig, and I'm also partial to my Jayne "Public Relations" and my Bubba Ho-Tep shirts. That's before we get into my entire collection of Rush swag... Yes, I'm a Geddycorn, so, I win the nerd contest! :laugh:
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    2dk4w_zps204a7802.gif

Nerding out playing D&D while camping in the rain.
    386583b0-4c01-4720-9298-d14544256957_zpsfa2f91c0.jpg
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Do you have to play video games these days to be a nerd? Since when isn't just being smart and socially awkward enough??

Why is socially awkward a requirement?
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    That's before we get into the D&D, fact that I'm wearing an unfashionable comic book shirt
    I have an entire closet full of unfashionable and entirely unironic shirts; they're basically the only shirts I wear when I'm not wearing gym clothes! My current favorite is "Occupy a Squat Rack" from 70sbig, and I'm also partial to my Jayne "Public Relations" and my Bubba Ho-Tep shirts. That's before we get into my entire collection of Rush swag... Yes, I'm a Geddycorn, so, I win the nerd contest! :laugh:

You, me and Bruce Campbell. Threesome. STAT.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Do you have to play video games these days to be a nerd? Since when isn't just being smart and socially awkward enough??

Why do any of us have to meet anyone's arbitrary definition of "nerdy?" Can't we just identify however we want?
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options

"What do you mean you people!?"

Social awkwardness is one of the hallmarks of nerddom. Not because social awkwardness is a prerquisite to nerdery, but rather one of the EFFECTS of nerdery.

If you spend all of your time imaging amazing things and off in your own world, rendering an entirely accurate model of all you survey in your mind along with a functional wet-works physics engine, you don't tend to spend a lot of your time playing My Little Ponies with that ***** Sarah across the street. **** that *****, she always did think she was too good for me. WHO IS LAUGHING NOW SARAH?
  • Dino_bacon2112
    Dino_bacon2112 Posts: 341 Member
    Options

Wait, you just have to like Rush to be a nerd? I ♥ Rush hardcore! I have several Rush shirts in my closet waiting for me to not be fat so I can wear them again.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I always considered that more geek than nerd.

I don't play video games that much, or watch Doctor Who (sure I'll get some rage deletes for admitting that), but I'm an engineer who lifts and runs. I like math. And computers. And quantum and particle physics. And space.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

You, me and Bruce Campbell. Threesome. STAT.
    My *only* problem with that, and it is unfortunately a biggie, is that I think of The Chin as more of a dad than a lover. So ewww. I do have all of his books, though, and he was very nice when I met him. Because I bought books for him to sign. I also asked him about his land stewardship documentary at the Q&A, which nobody knows about, so...
    awkward-turtle-o.gif
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

I don't play video games that much, or watch Doctor Who (sure I'll get some rage deletes for admitting that), but I'm an engineer who lifts and runs. I like math. And computers. And quantum and particle physics. And space.
    tumblr_mw2yzthTTj1svn82uo1_500.gif
  • The_Enginerd
    Options
    What's unfashionable about that?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Social awkwardness is one of the hallmarks of nerddom. Not because social awkwardness is a prerquisite to nerdery, but rather one of the EFFECTS of nerdery.

If you spend all of your time imaging amazing things and off in your own world, rendering an entirely accurate model of all you survey in your mind along with a functional wet-works physics engine, you don't tend to spend a lot of your time playing My Little Ponies with that ***** Sarah across the street. **** that *****, she always did think she was too good for me. WHO IS LAUGHING NOW SARAH?

Apart from dropping things like de novo lipogenesis into conversations randomly, I am not actually particularly socially awkward at all.

*takes nerd socks and leaves*
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    IN! All day video game player, avid reader, nerdy television junky, former comics collector (Daredevil) and I'm considered well spoken for my people*

9shPGyP.jpg?1

PcJmSEW.jpg?1

*my people are meatheads.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

I think I'm a scientist, but my bachelor's degree says engineering, but my master's does. I have nerd identity issues. Or geek identity issues. I'm so confused.
  • The_Enginerd
    Options

tumblr_mw2yzthTTj1svn82uo1_500.gif
    I just wanted some cake :cry:

portal-cake.jpg
  • Dino_bacon2112
    Dino_bacon2112 Posts: 341 Member
    Options

Apart from dropping things like de novo lipogenesis into conversations randomly, I am not actually particularly socially awkward at all.

*takes nerd socks and leaves*

I'm not socially awkward either. I'm actually pretty socially awesome. *slinks off*
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I'm just glad the point of the original post was not lost on anyone and we are debating things that really matter.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Replace Sarah with Tanya and MLP with Barbies and this may be a scene from my life.

NO TANYA, I'm plotting how I'm gonna genetically mutate myself like SPIDERMAN but less of a WUSSY! I can't play goshdarn barbies with you right NOW! How am I going to bring about social reform and world peace without SUPERPOWERS! Humanity only responds to STRENGTH and POWER so I need to be the STRONGEST!

Magneto taught me that. At age 6. Thanks Mom, for letting me read all your comics and developed an authoritarian personality.

Still. Not socially awkward. People love me. Why? Cause power and confidence.

Edit: This is very much a true story, btw. Wonder whatever happened to Tanya.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Former shrimpy, track-running nerd weakling here. My husband and I walked into the Legend of Zelda theme to our wedding reception and cut the cake to the main theme from Skyrim. I got mistaken for a cosplayer on the forums today because of my choice in Halloween costumes. My dog is named William Wallace. I'm too embarrassed to even say what show I've been religiously watching lately.

I now squat and deadlift more than my own bodyweight, and I was able to hoist drywall with my beastly husband.

In for .gifs because I have to take a video one of these days...
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options
    IN! All day video game player, avid reader, nerdy television junky, former comics collector (Daredevil) and I'm considered well spoken for my people*

9shPGyP.jpg?1

PcJmSEW.jpg?1

*my people are meatheads.

I'm always impressed when I see DayPul write. It's like the last 200 years were all a fiction and we're living in some alternate universe where people like him* are just as capable as anyone else.

*referring to meatheads.