Adopt a Noob - Official MFP thread

Options

Replies

• Zantabar
    Zantabar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I have been browsing the forums and found this awesome thread. I love the idea of being adopted. Hopefully I will find someone to talk back and forth with. so about me
    I am 30 and my starting weight was 267 I want to reach a goal of 150.

What have I changed so far to attempt to reach my goal? Well I recently watched the documentary forks over knives and sort of threw me for a loop and basically changed my whole outlook on food. I have always been told I am overweight but did not care I am / was the fat jolly funny guy at all the parties. So I am now on a strict vegan diet. I am on my 4th day as a vegan and it has not been bad at all.

Exercise: I have been doing cardio videos off my roku in the morning. Then I usually take a walk after dinner around my townhome complex.

Anyone that can be of service please help!
  • pkteen
    pkteen Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I volunteer!
    As far as my experience/history goes, I used to weigh 250+lbs with very little lean mass around 2012. Then I got fatally sick and got a wake up call from life.
    Since then, I've been losing weight, maintaining muscle (I had some newbie gains at first but that stops after a while). Now I'm at 194lbs now. I go to the gym almost every single day and eat fairly healthy (I've completely slacked off for the current week because I'm moving to the United States for College next week and am going out a lot).
    Time for me to lose the last 30 or so pounds I need to lose and I'd love to help out someone who can't find their way through this while I'm at it!
  • Ebonessa
    Ebonessa Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am so amazed and deeply pleased by the kindness of MFP members, all those people here who seem so focused, so dedicated, and so eager to mentor or be mentored.
    I wish I felt even half as motivated.

I think I have given up. I have tried so hard, for so long. Had some great results (45kg down to my normal weight!), was very happy for a few months, and then once again I got *****-slapped by something in my life, lost focus, slipped a little... and my perfectionist side really REALLY does not do "slip a little". The self-loathing I have amassed over the years is impressive. I now feel I deserve to be obese, suffer physically, emotionally and mentally, and here comes the vicious cycle.

I really need someone to remind me why I am doing it all for. Someone to tip me on what I am doing wrong, and advise me on the way to fix it instead of shaming me for slipping. Someone who will sympathise with the hours I work, and why, and not push it when I tell them that the ****ing elliptical gives me vertigo in 9 seconds. Someone who will understand that my metabolism is unnaturally low, and the doctors know it, but they "don't treat this situation unless you are trying for a baby", so my calorie count needs to be lower than low by default.
    I know I am a complicated case. A challenge if you will. But I see life slipping away from me, and I need to act. Now. And for that, I need help.

I don't do it for me, I don't like me enough to care right now. Perhaps when I get on track and see some results, I will give self-love a chance. So no, I am making it clear from the start, "loving thyself" has never been a motivator for me. If you would like to be my mentor, please don't go there.

-I am doing it for my mother, who lost my father from diabetes, and lives with fear in her heart every day that I will follow suit. She has done a kick-*kitten* job raising me, and despite our unbridgeable differences, she deserves better. Because as much as you love your child, how can you not resent it every time you cook for it?
    -I am doing it for my best friend who is so happy and proud of me, and wants to show her love for me, take me out, buy me gifts, hug me and do all sorts of girly things with me, but I don't let her out of embarrassment and guilt. Because who likes a fat person with them when they go out?
    -I am doing this for my Big Bad-*kitten* Boss and my Supervisors, who are astounded by my performance and hard work, and want to push me forward so much, but I stop them and ask them to find someone else to do the presentation and represent the company. Because what stranger in their right mind would listen to a fat chick's input and advise?
    -I am doing this for my family and friends, and the looks on their faces a few years back when I walked in the room weighing as much as I did when I was 16, slim and beautiful, elegant and smiling, and how genuinely impressed and proud they were to call me their cousin, or their niece, or their friend. I want to make them happy to have me as a friend.

So much to ask for, isn't it... ah well, it was worth a shot.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I am so amazed and deeply pleased by the kindness of MFP members, all those people here who seem so focused, so dedicated, and so eager to mentor or be mentored.
    I wish I felt even half as motivated.

I think I have given up. I have tried so hard, for so long. Had some great results (45kg down to my normal weight!), was very happy for a few months, and then once again I got *****-slapped by something in my life, lost focus, slipped a little... and my perfectionist side really REALLY does not do "slip a little". The self-loathing I have amassed over the years is impressive. I now feel I deserve to be obese, suffer physically, emotionally and mentally, and here comes the vicious cycle.

I really need someone to remind me why I am doing it all for. Someone to tip me on what I am doing wrong, and advise me on the way to fix it instead of shaming me for slipping. Someone who will sympathise with the hours I work, and why, and not push it when I tell them that the ****ing elliptical gives me vertigo in 9 seconds. Someone who will understand that my metabolism is unnaturally low, and the doctors know it, but they "don't treat this situation unless you are trying for a baby", so my calorie count needs to be lower than low by default.
    I know I am a complicated case. A challenge if you will. But I see life slipping away from me, and I need to act. Now. And for that, I need help.

I don't do it for me, I don't like me enough to care right now. Perhaps when I get on track and see some results, I will give self-love a chance. So no, I am making it clear from the start, "loving thyself" has never been a motivator for me. If you would like to be my mentor, please don't go there.

-I am doing it for my mother, who lost my father from diabetes, and lives with fear in her heart every day that I will follow suit. She has done a kick-*kitten* job raising me, and despite our unbridgeable differences, she deserves better. Because as much as you love your child, how can you not resent it every time you cook for it?
    -I am doing it for my best friend who is so happy and proud of me, and wants to show her love for me, take me out, buy me gifts, hug me and do all sorts of girly things with me, but I don't let her out of embarrassment and guilt. Because who likes a fat person with them when they go out?
    -I am doing this for my Big Bad-*kitten* Boss and my Supervisors, who are astounded by my performance and hard work, and want to push me forward so much, but I stop them and ask them to find someone else to do the presentation and represent the company. Because what stranger in their right mind would listen to a fat chick's input and advise?
    -I am doing this for my family and friends, and the looks on their faces a few years back when I walked in the room weighing as much as I did when I was 16, slim and beautiful, elegant and smiling, and how genuinely impressed and proud they were to call me their cousin, or their niece, or their friend. I want to make them happy to have me as a friend.

So much to ask for, isn't it... ah well, it was worth a shot.

I'm not really sure how to respond to this eloquently, so here's to not botching this badly.

No one "deserves to be obese" and losing and maintaining weight are NOT punishment or to atone for some imagined evil you may have committed with the peanut butter jar.

Your Boss would not sabotage his company or their reputation with a stupid person representing them, please reconsider that stance. Your weight does not equate to what is reflected on the scale. If it did, we'd see supermodels in lab coats curing cancer.

Next up, anyone who wants you for a friend based solely on your looks is a piss poor excuse of a friend and truly you'd be better off living as a hermit at the top of Mount Fuji. True friends are the ones who stand by through all the hell life can sling and never budge. You don't have to have a lot of these people, but when you find one, hold onto them for they are gift from God.

As for life being messy, no one promised it wouldn't be. Those crap moments that hurt remind you to cherish the great moments for what they are...great.

In the 2 years I have been here I have had messy. I have had loss and I have had grief. Despite that I have also had incredible moments too. Ones that make me happy, proud and dance with delight. I can probably match you one for one on the hours, and crap factor, if you wish we can indulge in a full blown pity party excuse thread. But, what I am trying to say is no one can do this for you, it won't always be perfect and that's okay. The point is to keep pushing forward.

Motivation waxes and wanes, the deciding factor is to dust yourself off and keep going.

I hope you discover something in you worth doing this for.
  • YF92
    YF92 Posts: 2,893 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be a mentor
    I've registered at MFP 2 years ago. During that time I managed to drop 20 kgs (Roughly 50 lbs or so), but I quit for the rest of the 2 years as I had to deal with some things. Some of em good, some of em quite bad. But that chapter is over now, and I'm back now and ready to squash the remaining lbs.

Why choose me as a mentor? I read quite a bit on nutrition and I believe I do have most of the important ideas. Plus I am active around MFP, so you would have little trouble reaching me. I'm also friendly with everyone so don't feel shy to contact me at all. Send me a PM and we'll get things started. Trust me, when we start I'll be on your "six" all the time to make sure you don't go south with your diet :wink:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Updated
  • juanpegler
    juanpegler Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am not new but just came back. But I am still a noob.

Just a bit of history.

I am 5.7 ft Tall. My starting weight was 293lbs I had gone down to 253lbs with weight training (trained with my wife) and Eating a bit better. after she hurt her back we stopped training for a few weeks and with it the diet went out the window.

I am currently on 276lbs and will be going back to gym from tomorrow,

My goal is 210lbs. but I have a serious Motivation problem.

I know that once I see the body changes from weight training my motivation will be where it needs to be. but for some reason I am having a hard time getting there,

I would like a mentor who has lost that this kind of weight that also struggled with the motivation who can help me in the right direction.
    I do not have any health issues. My reason for wanting to loose the weight is because I want to look the way I used to.
    I hate feeling this uncomfortable and always being the heaviest in the room.

Thank you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi
    I am not new but just came back. But I am still a noob.

Just a bit of history.

I am 5.7 ft Tall. My starting weight was 293lbs I had gone down to 253lbs with weight training (trained with my wife) and Eating a bit better. after she hurt her back we stopped training for a few weeks and with it the diet went out the window.

I am currently on 276lbs and will be going back to gym from tomorrow,

My goal is 210lbs. but I have a serious Motivation problem.

I know that once I see the body changes from weight training my motivation will be where it needs to be. but for some reason I am having a hard time getting there,

I would like a mentor who has lost that this kind of weight that also struggled with the motivation who can help me in the right direction.
    I do not have any health issues. My reason for wanting to loose the weight is because I want to look the way I used to.
    I hate feeling this uncomfortable and always being the heaviest in the room.

Thank you.

Welcome back. I would recommend looking through some profiles and PM'ing people about mentoring you.
  • 808Kine
    808Kine Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This noob needs a can of whup *kitten* let loose! Ughhhh.....so frustrated!
    I had it in me to pursue health and fitness goals (lifted, ran and some circuit training) up until about a year and a half ago. I haven't been the best at formally tracking food and activity, but at least checked in every so often but now my brain has checked OUT! I'm probably up by about 15 pounds and that's not muscle! Anyone out there who wants to go all boot camp on my sorry butt??I will work on logging everything and try to track food and drag myself back to the gym this week! Current goals include losing approximately 40 pounds, gaining muscle and eating much cleaner with only an occasional glass of wine or a beer.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Looking for a mentor to keep me motivated and help me along the way!

About me:

Female
    28 years old
    5' 5
    CW - 127.8 (as of this morning)
    GW - 115-120

I don't have a lot of weight to lose, but I just can't seem to get rid of it! What I am trying to accomplish is to look fit/toned, but I'm just not sure how to do that. I want to be thin, but not a stick .. I mainly just want to be stronger and I would love to compete on America's Ninja Warrior (no chance of that lol)

Things I'm aware of:

I need to buy a scale to weigh my food because I think I may be overeating

Things I expect from a mentor:

Brutal honesty (I can can take it!)
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Hello !
    I would love to be a mentor!!! I love myfitnesspal and want to help:)
    A little info
    I'm a 33 year old female that started at 262 and am at186.
    My main workouts arr zumba and walking , i also do some lifting as well.
    I've been in mfp for 455 days and believe in consistancy and pushing mhself. I also believei positive reinforcing.
    I'm not where I wanna be but I'm more than willing to help!!!!
    pM me if you're interested
  • nerdymathgrrl
    nerdymathgrrl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I volunteer to adopt a noob!

I'm Liz, and I'm a 30-year-old married mom of 2. Like many of you, I've lost and gained weight several times throughout my life. This time is the first time it's felt sustainable--I'm not eager to be done dieting so I can eat real food again! I'm over halfway to my goal, but I'm trying to get there slowly (1-2 lbs/week on average).

A few things that might tell you if we'd be a good match:
    1) I eat a wide variety of foods--lots of lean meats, whole grains, fruits, and veggies, but I have regular treats and even occasional fast food *gasp*.
    2) I love to exercise! I lift heavy (for me!) 3 days a week and do cardio 3 days a week. However, I used to hate exercise, so I will understand if you do.
    3) I'm not judgmental, but I will question you if you're regularly eating well under your target.
    4) I've become extremely interested in nutrition and exercise, and while I am not an expert, I'm well-read on the subjects. I won't pretend to know anything I don't, but if you ask me something I don't have an answer to, I'll research it (for myself, as well as to answer your question).
    5) I log my food every day, and I usually check my notifications daily as well.
  • goer0701
    goer0701 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a mentor!

Female
    25 years old
    5'5"
    CW: 198
    GW: 150

I used to weigh 270 and lost nearly 100 pounds. However, I've started gaining back the weight (30 lbs) and need some guidance to get back into weight loss mode. Feel free to send me a message or add me. I'll take all the help I can get :)
  • JenH1550
    JenH1550 Posts: 46
    Options
    AARRGG! I need a mentor.

Big time.

I've been on MFP now for three months and I've gained five pounds.

It's the binge-cycle. I binge and then give up, often for days. Then I have one or two good days, celebrate, and binge again.

When I give up I stop logging, again, for days. I can't handle the emotion effect of the chronic failure in big red bars staring at me... so I run away and binge, binge, binge, binge.

It's about broken me down. I feel just absolutely spent at this point.

I can't kick the cycle alone.

I need someone to kick me in the buttocks. Steel toe shoes are totally apropos.

But really, I need someone who has been there, who won't put up with my whining or excuses, and can hold my hand while I take baby steps out of this freaking nightmare.

Anyone want to take me on?

I whine a lot, but I know about 200 'guy walks into a bar' jokes...
  • tlorelle12
    Options
    Hi, I am looking for a mentor:)

Would love to have someone with experience regarding eating disorders (but of course not required).

I realize we are basically all here for the same reason. I would love so so much to meet someone on here that will help me with my accountability and steer me in the right direction when questions or concerns surface. Thank you so so much for reading this and I am incredibly grateful for all the support and love on this site

-Theresia <3
  • I would love to commumicate ,get support from someone who has the same goals. I just started, 3 pounds down about 45 to go.
    would appreciate PM,s and support. this is a solo mission for me, no home support, very difficult
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am looking for a mentor:)

Would love to have someone with experience regarding eating disorders (but of course not required).

I realize we are basically all here for the same reason. I would love so so much to meet someone on here that will help me with my accountability and steer me in the right direction when questions or concerns surface. Thank you so so much for reading this and I am incredibly grateful for all the support and love on this site

-Theresia <3

36-year-old female with 18 years of binge-eating currently binge-free. Send me a friend request if wanted!
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I would love to be adopted by someone! Haha. I've been struggling with my extra weight for several years now, and I'm truly tired of it. I come from a big-boned family, literally we're not all overweight but we have big builds, and I just want to be slim! I always start and give up, and I need someone who won't give up on me.. Need some help with planning out daily food plans, etc. Thanks :)
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I guess I need a mentor. I feel really dumb because I don't understand Tdee or BMR or any of that. I don't really know how many calories I should be eating or if I should have myself set to lightly active or sedentary, Macros? Protein?

I get depressed really easily... I used to binge and purge, my life revolved around it. I haven't done that since I started MFP. I do have the temptation to do it everyday but I've met some wonderful friends here that have helped me. I do need someone at times to lay down the law. To say tough **** and deal with it.

I'm 5'6"
    My current weight is 229. My first time under 230 in my adult life.
    I want to weight 140 - 150lbs which will put me in the healthy category.

I understand this lifestyle is forever and I believe if I take it slowly that is manageable.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    TDEE is easy.
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Enter your stats. For me (36-year-old female, 5'4", 118 lbs) who works out daily intense or twice daily they are:

Your BMR is:
    1211 Calories/Day

Your TDEE is:

So that's what I would eat to maintain. This week I ran 15.47 miles + 9 later today (at work right now) plus 3 hours of spin, 3 hours of weight training, one hour of Pilates, and one hour of Yoga, If I want to lose a lb a week subtract 500 a day or eat 1590 every day.

They suggest to start with around TDEE - 10% and go from -5% to -30% as a max depending on how comfortable you want to be regarding how much you eat and how quickly you want to lose. Not recommended -30%. And try to take in at least 1200 calories a day.