Adopt a Noob - Official MFP thread

Options

Replies

• midnightsunx3
    Options
    Hello, Everyone!

I am a 20 year old female. I am 5'2, and 118 lbs. I like to think that I am what you call "skinny fat". I am looking to lose some weight and tone up. I would love a mentor that could give me occasional advice, and support :smiley:
    Thank you!
  • morgiee_lynne
    morgiee_lynne Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I would love to be a mentor, take a noobie under my wings!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    List updated.
  • trenzalours
    trenzalours Posts: 60
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm new to exercising but loving it so far. I weigh 269 pounds and I'm 5'7 - I want to get back down to healthy weight and my first short time goal is 240 pounds in around 4-5weeks. I would love to have a mentor or someone letting me know I'm headed in the right direction.

I usually start my day off with yoga and move into a dance routine (around 67mins in total) then at night right before bed I also do more yoga. My calorie limit is 1890 and I usually eat about 1200 a day(sometimes under).

So add me as a friend if you just want to do this together and motivate each other to be healthy and fit! If you feel up to mentoring me into the right direction drop me a friend request or PM! :D
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Sign me up as a volunteer!

A little background on me (more info on my profile):

I used a different weight loss website 5 years ago and lost over 100lbs by starving myself, doing umpteen hours of cardio every week, and generally depriving myself of things I enjoyed in order to lose weight. I lost the weight, never learned habits that I was able to maintain, and gained 90lbs back over the next couple of years.

On September 1, 2013 my now-husband took a picture of me that will be burned into my brain forever. That was a wake up call. I re-signed in to an old MFP account that was long-neglected, and began logging my food and got up the courage to dust off my gym membership and start working out again. A few months later, I started weight training and weighing my food, in March 2014 I started eating at a percentage off of my TDEE, and on May 3, 2014, I started lifting heavy things and haven't stopped. I have lost 66lbs since September 2013, and am focusing on a body recomp now for the next couple of months to continue to get stronger. That picture from last year is on my profile pictures.

I eat a lot of food, I weigh and log my food, I eat foods that fit my macros, there are some days that I don't eat enough vegetables, there are some days that I drink 2 liters of draft German beer, but I am on this site every day and am in this for the long haul... so I am perfectly content if it takes me another year or two to finally reach my weight loss goal. I learned a lot on the forums here, and I think that's something that I lacked the first time I lost weight - I simply didn't know any better, and didn't spend enough time online looking around for more information, I just stuffed myself with tiny salads and rice cakes and ran on the treadmill until I was ready to collapse. Not anymore!

• FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to be a mentor.

I'm a 5'4" 28 year old female, currently 137lbs and my goal is between 128lbs and 125lbs. I went to college for biomedical engineering, graduate school for Intellectual Property and am currently working full time at a medical device company in New York. In high school and part of college I was on the Track team so I've always had a love of running. I was never heavy until a couple years ago when I found out I can't eat the way I did in high school. Got up to 153lbs when I started trying to lose weight. I tried a few of the fads and generally bad ideas to lose weight, tried Weight Watchers and tried eating about 1000 calories and only doing cardio etc... Now I'm doing it the healthy way, I'm slowly losing weight by watching my calorie intake, lifting weights, doing some cardio and a yoga/pilates class. I have 9-12lbs to lose but my overall goal is a healthier lifestyle and lower body fat. I expect to hit my goal sometime before the end of March 2015 and at that point I plan to find and train for my first half marathon. I am only trying to lose 0.5-1lb/week since I know this is a big change that will take time, not something that will happen overnight. I don't mind giving out information about my lifestyle, how I eat, when I work out, details of my work outs, etc...

I never think going over your calories every once and a while is the end of the world, you go over, you realize it, accept it, and move forward.

If you'd like me to be a mentor just please send a message with your request so I know where you came from and a little about yourself :)
  • IrZeo
    IrZeo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My name is Zeo, I'm 24 years old and 6ft exactly tall. I weigh 29 stone 13 lbs (418lbs?). I currently live in the UK, North West. I started out in August at 32 stone 5 lbs, and have followed somewhat of a diet plan and workout schedule since.

My goal: To reach a healthy weight for my height/age/gender etc..and do this while also increasing my over all health; but I'm unsure what a realistic healthy weight would be for myself. I haven't been a healthy weight since toddler age.

I am looking for a mentor, because I'm very obese of course.. and generally need tips and advice, etc.

I have messaged a few of the mentors and had no replies yet. If anyone is interested in mentoring me, I would really appreciate it.

Zeo
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    what about those people who are noobz for life?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Updated again.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I could be a mentor. I'm also still on my journey so would be progressing together.

What I have to offer? Well I specialize in eating and weight issues, so I have a lot of experience and won't send you down the wrong road. I have found a style of eating that has helped me end a 20 year history of binge eating. I have insulin resistance and I am figuring out how to treat it with diet and exercise. I don't believe in extremes or forbidden foods, but I do watch my macros and progressively work towards eating more fresh, home cooked foods. I like very easy recipes and lots of fresh produce. I've found my passion for physical activity in dance.
  • Silverdracos
    Silverdracos Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think this account is gone: Achrya - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/user/achrya/status
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    this is great! I'd love to help someone.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I think this account is gone: Achrya - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/user/achrya/status

Thank you, i removed that person from the list.

• Midnightangel124
    Options
    Salutations everyone!

I am currently very new to this site (this is my first time not using the app which I started earlier this week). As with most here I would love for help in obtaining a mentor, or if not that then a group of dedicated people who wish to give advice and push one another to their goals. I struggle with asthma and other health concerns but I do not plan on letting that hold me back from reaching my goals.

If you want to work together then please message me! I won't give up on you and hopefully you won't do the same.

~Rin

(Oh and bonus points if you like anime and games (tabletops and video. Just thought i'd throw that out there)
  • florencehazell37
    Options
    Hello there! I am a 5ft4 256lb female. I have a decent amount of muscle. Asthmatic and ex smoker lungs annnd 2 fulltime jobs... one of which in a fast-ish food place and the other in a franchise kitchen! hands down my biggest problems are eating- no I don't eat a lot all day.. infact when I'm at work I eat nothing (with the exception of coffee) untill about 5pm when I become starving and usually stuff a burger or buffalo chicken poutine into my mouth!) and excersise... when I'm home I wanna hangout with my kids annnd sleep.. ive got an awesome stationary bike, yoga ball, weights, resistance bands....

I've done this before... but usually around the 3 week mark I decide to advance my plan whether it be taking away calories or adding more exercise or something way off base (have you heard of "eat more to lose Weight"?) anyways reaching out cause I really need the help...
  • MarcGreenfield
    MarcGreenfield Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm up for adoption if any one wants me!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I would like to be a mentor :)

5'6
    SW 191
    CW 161
    GW 150 (maybe)

I follow the TDEE -20% method and IIFYM. With lifting three days a week plus cardio three times a week I've steadily lost 30 pounds over the course of the year. I weigh all of my food and log pretty much every day :)
  • Pucks_and_Balls
    Pucks_and_Balls Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am willing to mentor. I have lost 23 pounds over the last year and am working on my nutrition right now, as I feel confident that I have the exercise part down pat. :) I'm a 29-year-old female, and I love group fitness classes and DVDs for when I can't make it to the gym. (Which happens a lot because I work in shifts and am juggling quite a bit outside of work.) My goal next year is to run a 5K!

5'3

SW: 219
    CW: 196
    GW: 140

Feel free to add me!
  • phoenixk89
    phoenixk89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    My name is phoenix.
    I am in dire need of a mentor.
    Ive only been using this for officially 8 days. Ive installed it before, and played around with the barcode scanner...and that was the extent of it.
    Something clicked within me 8 days ago, and i decided to start logging everything. Not only have i been staying under my calorie goal...but ive also incorporated some cardio daily with various youtube videos. And i go for daily walks now with my son. Which is...a loonnnggg way from binge eating and sitting in front of netflix all day.

Im 345. I have no scale. And ive just been allll about this app. I want to get down to 150. I know it is going to take a while. Lol. But i dont intend on giving up.

And surprisingly...im not bothered or even hungry. Im pumped. Extremly pumped.

I have questions. And need people to talk to. I live with my parents and fiance and child. Everybody is really supportive, but nobody is doing anything with me. So im kinda by myself here. Its only been a week-ish. I dont wanna lose any drive from discouragement.

In my adult life, ive probably been in the 100s for about 2 months. And it was like 195 lol. But ahhh looking at pictures. I thought i was huggee then, and id give anything to even get down to that size again.

Id like to break free of this depression.
    And lead a long happy rest of my life.

As a healthy weighted person.

I dont currently have any health problems. Other than depression. My blood pressure is like 122/78.

I dont know. Im rambling.

I basically just need some guidance. Inspiration from someone who has lost 100 or so pounds.
    Ive read success story after success story. But id actually like to converse with these amazing people.

And i want my own success story in the next few years.
  • phoenixk89
    phoenixk89 Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    !!! My phone hates me lol