Looking to add people on 1200 calories a day

Options

Replies

• WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Wow! I have learned a ton by reading this thread. I have been eating 1200 and had no idea that I was putting myself at risk. I am reading all the links and I see that I need to re-plan! The post by the lady who's hair started falling out, and the person whose hormones got messed up really woke me up.

I am only 5'2" and only wanted to go from 136 down to 120 so I thought 1200 was what I should eat, and that is what MFP showed when I put my numbers in. I have read a lot on here and now realize that I the reason I am so exhausted and have headaches nearly everyday is probably because I am not getting enough nutrients especially now that I am exercising much more.

I'm wading through all the information, and I am a little daunted figuring it all out, but thank you for all the links. I will be eating more from now on. I might be asking for help to work out macros, I have a lot of learning to do I see.

Yay! I am so glad to read this! Truly I am.

As for those saying this was so negative, it's not at all! Just because someone disagrees does't make it a negative. There is legit concern here! There are also good reason why people should be concerned about eating 1200 cals. I am glad one person read the links is going to get a better understanding. Best of luck!
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    WeepingAngel - Nothing to do with anything except that your name and ticker picture are truly epic...
  • Alliegeex
    Alliegeex Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    So I saw a nutritionist a few years ago.

And when I told her MFP had suggested 1200 calories a day for me, she said that wasn't exactly right.

To keep the weight OFF and not gain it back, it's ideal to eat at least 1500 calories a day. 1200 calories daily puts you at a greater risk to not be able to maintain it.

She suggested this nutrition plan (hope this helps some of you, btw I'm 19 and 5'2, 185 pounds)

Breakfast: 400 calories
    3 hours later snack: 100 calorie
    Lunch: 400 calories
    3 hours later: 100 calorie snack
    Dinner: 400 calories
    3 hours later: 100 calorie snack

She explained to me that the little meals throughout the day constantly fuel the fire (your metabolism) to keep it going at a more efficient rate.

When I was on this plan, I lost ten pounds a month, totaling about a 35lb loss in 3 months. Unfortunately, I completely gained it back by eating constant junk and didn't even try to diet my freshman year of college over the course of the year. But I do believe I would have gained it back MUCH faster if I was at 1200 a day. It's more about adapting to a healthier lifestyle that you can carry throughout your life, not a temporary fix. Good luck to all of you xoxo
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    (
    She explained to me that the little meals throughout the day constantly fuel the fire (your metabolism) to keep it going at a more efficient rate.

A nutritionist said this?

Egads.

I mean, it isn't *bad* advice...but the science is bogus...

Sorry, that isn't the topic of this thread, so I'll end my derail here...)
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    (

Egads.

I'm with Jof here.

Eating all day is NOT necessary to be successful i weight loss.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    This may have been overlooked but adding people(meaning eating them) isn't really recommended on this site. Please try to stick to your MACROS goals...good luck.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    (

Egads.

I'm with Jof here.

Eating all day is NOT necessary to be successful i weight loss.

^Agree with this. Dietary needs don't get met better or more proficiently if spread out throughout the day. Not saying that it doesn't work for some people, but it isn't an absolute.
  • danialexa1218
    Options
    i actually just started my diet on the 1st, and im doing 1200 a day..
    its been hard mostly because all of the cravings ive been having! but ive been looking up some great recipes and idea on pinterest that helps keep me under 1200 and still feel full
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    Ever heard the phrase 'you can catch more flies with honey, than with vinegar'? The messengers who are saying "eat more than 1200" are SO NEGATIVE. No one wants to take advice from people who are so negative. People will make their own decisions about their health, and do their research (or not do their research). Folks are here looking for encouragement, and one who is wise understands how to give it, and how to correct someone to get them on the right path, and hopefully on the path that is right for that individual.

Completely agree
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options
    WeepingAngel - Nothing to do with anything except that your name and ticker picture are truly epic...

Thanks! I'm a bit of a Who geek.

Now back to your regularly scheduled 1200/day thread
  • LishieFruit89
    Options

Do we have to?! *pouts*
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Ever heard the phrase 'you can catch more flies with honey, than with vinegar'? The messengers who are saying "eat more than 1200" are SO NEGATIVE. No one wants to take advice from people who are so negative. People will make their own decisions about their health, and do their research (or not do their research). Folks are here looking for encouragement, and one who is wise understands how to give it, and how to correct someone to get them on the right path, and hopefully on the path that is right for that individual.

You shouldn't be looking for encouragement if you want to succeed at losing/maintaining weight loss, you should be looking for information on how to do it properly. Someone who gives you that information is not a POO-FACED MEANIE HEAD, but is actually being helpful.
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options

Do we have to?! *pouts*

Well no, we don't HAVE to. Then again, The Doctor doesn't eat very well, maybe we should discuss! He does have 2 hearts to maintain after all!
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome thread. I am going through all the people who are saying they are eating 1200 calories or less and clicking on "ignore user". It's making MFP even more awesome.

^^stealing this idea.

my bmr (<<newbies, search for that term) wouldn't EVER be as low as 1200. eta - and i'm short!!
  • taspeck
    Options
    1200 cal a day
  • LishieFruit89
    Options

Do we have to?! *pouts*

Well no, we don't HAVE to. Then again, The Doctor doesn't eat very well, maybe we should discuss! He does have 2 hearts to maintain after all!

I've never seen Dr Who!
    He's probably gotta do a bit of cardio to keep both hearts healthy
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options

Do we have to?! *pouts*

I've never seen Dr Who!
    He's probably gotta do a bit of cardio to keep both hearts healthy

Well he does encourage a lot of running in his companions...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Do we have to?! *pouts*

I don't know, fish fingers and custard would have a lot of protein. He definitely eats more than 1200 calories a day though.
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options

Do we have to?! *pouts*

I don't know, fish fingers and custard would have a lot of protein. He definitely eats more than 1200 calories a day though.

Therein lies the problem! How would he measure a day? #timelordproblems
  • LishieFruit89
    Options

Do we have to?! *pouts*

Fish fingers = fish sticks?

It's fish either way and that's freaking delicious!
    Oooo maybe I'll have salmon this week!