Looking to add people on 1200 calories a day

Options

Replies

• aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Wow! I have learned a ton by reading this thread. I have been eating 1200 and had no idea that I was putting myself at risk. I am reading all the links and I see that I need to re-plan! The post by the lady who's hair started falling out, and the person whose hormones got messed up really woke me up.

I am only 5'2" and only wanted to go from 136 down to 120 so I thought 1200 was what I should eat, and that is what MFP showed when I put my numbers in. I have read a lot on here and now realize that I the reason I am so exhausted and have headaches nearly everyday is probably because I am not getting enough nutrients especially now that I am exercising much more.

I'm wading through all the information, and I am a little daunted figuring it all out, but thank you for all the links. I will be eating more from now on. I might be asking for help to work out macros, I have a lot of learning to do I see.

This makes me so happy to read. It's completely possible to lose weight without starving yourself.
  • ImAwesome9216
    Options

^This! My issue isn't that some do need only 1200 calories. Because every person is different. But if someone is so knowledgeable on this, they would also know that is not the case for the majority and would have that disclaimer in a thread like this to help others who are not so knowledgeable. Many others posted useful links that gave good information to help people and that is what I find useful.

I can't speak for her, but she may not have put that disclaimer in because the people who said they'd put all 1200 calorie eaters on ignore didn't put the disclaimer either. It's one thing when people work with someone to determine whether 1200 is necessary, but there are those on here who will mock those who eat 1200 and proclaim it too little for anyone not 3 feet tall. When someone makes statements that they'll go through and put everyone on ignore, there is some indication they might be one of those folks who assumes.

This! I am on 1,200 and am medically supervised. In March 2013, my "medical team" (doctors, nutritionist and physical therapist) started at 1,800 calories and I gained quickly. We decreased by 50 calories approximately every 2 to 4 weeks and realized that I maintain on about 1,500 and that my BMR is low due to said medical conditions and the medications I take for them. As physical therapy progresses and I start to gain some strength back and find a regimen that reduces the tremors, we will revisit the calories and increase if possible. I am currently losing about 1.2 pounds a week om 1,200 calories.

Weight loss is not one-size fits all and it seems that a lot of people here think it is. I am an advanced practice nurse and I work in medical research. If I have learned one thing in my career it is that no two people are the same. In fact, it is rare that two people are even very similar in terms of what it takes to make changes to the body. 1,200 will not work for everyone, but neither will 1,300, 1,400, 1,500, 1,600, 1,700, 1,800, 1,900, 2,000, so on and so forth.

Instead of lecturing others about eating 1,200 or not eating 1,200, the best answer is to encourage them to speak to their doctor. We all have different circumstances and motivations and reclaiming one's health is a very personal journey. Cutting calories and logging hours of cardio are very superficial aspects of losing weight. There are far deeper things that we as individuals need to address to truly succeed and keep the weight off long-term.

I joined here to meet like minds and folks who truly want to change their lives. So far, I have met a lot of folks who think their way is the only way and to be perfectly honest, it kind of sucks. And, I am sure that some folks will say, "then, just leave." Well, that illustrates my point perfectly if you are tempted to post that. Skipping lectures and rudeness for genuine encouragement and realizing that your way works for you and will not work for others goes a long way.
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options

^This! My issue isn't that some do need only 1200 calories. Because every person is different. But if someone is so knowledgeable on this, they would also know that is not the case for the majority and would have that disclaimer in a thread like this to help others who are not so knowledgeable. Many others posted useful links that gave good information to help people and that is what I find useful.

I can't speak for her, but she may not have put that disclaimer in because the people who said they'd put all 1200 calorie eaters on ignore didn't put the disclaimer either. It's one thing when people work with someone to determine whether 1200 is necessary, but there are those on here who will mock those who eat 1200 and proclaim it too little for anyone not 3 feet tall. When someone makes statements that they'll go through and put everyone on ignore, there is some indication they might be one of those folks who assumes.

This! I am on 1,200 and am medically supervised. In March 2013, my "medical team" (doctors, nutritionist and physical therapist) started at 1,800 calories and I gained quickly. We decreased by 50 calories approximately every 2 to 4 weeks and realized that I maintain on about 1,500 and that my BMR is low due to said medical conditions and the medications I take for them. As physical therapy progresses and I start to gain some strength back and find a regimen that reduces the tremors, we will revisit the calories and increase if possible. I am currently losing about 1.2 pounds a week om 1,200 calories.

Weight loss is not one-size fits all and it seems that a lot of people here think it is. I am an advanced practice nurse and I work in medical research. If I have learned one thing in my career it is that no two people are the same. In fact, it is rare that two people are even very similar in terms of what it takes to make changes to the body. 1,200 will not work for everyone, but neither will 1,300, 1,400, 1,500, 1,600, 1,700, 1,800, 1,900, 2,000, so on and so forth.

Instead of lecturing others about eating 1,200 or not eating 1,200, the best answer is to encourage them to speak to their doctor. We all have different circumstances and motivations and reclaiming one's health is a very personal journey. Cutting calories and logging hours of cardio are very superficial aspects of losing weight. There are far deeper things that we as individuals need to address to truly succeed and keep the weight off long-term.

I joined here to meet like minds and folks who truly want to change their lives. So far, I have met a lot of folks who think their way is the only way and to be perfectly honest, it kind of sucks. And, I am sure that some folks will say, "then, just leave." Well, that illustrates my point perfectly if you are tempted to post that. Skipping lectures and rudeness for genuine encouragement and realizing that your way works for you and will not work for others goes a long way.

You are correct that no two people are exactly alike. However, the vast majority of these people on this thread who are opting for 1200 calories are basing it solely on what they think will take weight off the fastest without bothering to determine their BMR or TDEE and are not under medical supervision or diagnosed with medical conditions. Those cases are the exception, not the rule.If you're doing 1200 calories without knowing even your BMR, you are doing yourself a disservice. I haven't seen a single post here telling anyone how many calories they should be taking in with the exception of one who took the time to calc another person's TDEE and BMR based on information provided by the other user.

Encouraging someone to chose 1200 calories per day as their net without knowing BMR and TDEE is like someone saying they are going to drive from New York to Kalispel, Montana without so much as a map, smartphone, or even a compass. They might get there, but if you had 100 people do it, many would get hopelessly lost. As a nurse, would you support a doctor prescribing medications for a patient without even looking at their chart before doing so?
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed that there are 15 pages of this, already... and 15 pages of members, saying... 'Add me... Add me....' If the OP added every single one of them.... well, damn she'd have a large FL.

h91A241A1
  • amandah154
    amandah154 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Add me please!!
  • MaegK
    MaegK Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Add me I am on 1200 Calories a day too! I was given that calorie limit by a nutritionist.
  • denisejhester
    Options
    please add me. I am 1200 cal a day. Starting my first day tomorrow
  • snowmaniac
    Options
    I know that an earlier poster commented that he was using this thread to set the 1200 calorie per day people to ignore. I'm going to take a slightly different tack. For all those jumping on the 1200 calorie per day plan just because they think it is the best and fastest way to lose weight without knowing their BMR or TDEE, I extend this offer. When the day comes that you get sick of feeling hungry all the time, or you "fall off the wagon", or you realize that you have put most, if not all of the weight you lost back on, should you decide that you want to get healthy and fit for the long term and want support feel free to send me a FR at that time.

Just understand that I won't support anyone who has an extremely low calorie goal that is not supported by either doctor recommendation or your TDEE calculation. That means just because MFP says 1200 is right for you, it doesn't mean it's what you should be doing. Seriously, try using one of the TDEE calculators like http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/, and see what it tells you. I'd be shocked if you see anything close to 1200 calories as the recommended amount.
  • M______
    M______ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed that there are 15 pages of this, already... and 15 pages of members, saying... 'Add me... Add me....' If the OP added every single one of them.... well, damn she'd have a large FL.

h91A241A1

But then there are 3 pages of of members saying 'Eat more.... Eat more.....' If the OP took that advice literally, she would never stop eating

perfectanimalshots02.jpg

:)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I know that an earlier poster commented that he was using this thread to set the 1200 calorie per day people to ignore. I'm going to take a slightly different tack. For all those jumping on the 1200 calorie per day plan just because they think it is the best and fastest way to lose weight without knowing their BMR or TDEE, I extend this offer. When the day comes that you get sick of feeling hungry all the time, or you "fall off the wagon", or you realize that you have put most, if not all of the weight you lost back on, should you decide that you want to get healthy and fit for the long term and want support feel free to send me a FR at that time.

Just understand that I won't support anyone who has an extremely low calorie goal that is not supported by either doctor recommendation or your TDEE calculation. That means just because MFP says 1200 is right for you, it doesn't mean it's what you should be doing. Seriously, try using one of the TDEE calculators like http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/, and see what it tells you. I'd be shocked if you see anything close to 1200 calories as the recommended amount.

Good points.

However, I'd actually take this recommendation a step further and say that ideally, someone just starting this process should spend at least a week just accurately (w/ measuring cups and scale) and consistently tracking their normal intake. Use that as a starting point for possible TDEE. Reduce that by 10-20% (depending on how far from goal you're starting) and use that as your target for 4-6+ weeks. Evaluate your progress towards goal at the end of that block and make adjustments as necessary. (Pro-tip: Don't be misled by changes that occur in the first week or two of reducing calories. These are bogus and have almost nothing to do with fat loss. Similarly, don't be misled by changes that occur in the first week or two of starting a new/more intense exercise program. These are also bogus and have almost nothing to do with muscle gain.)

All online TDEE calculators are estimates. They're a fine starting point, but shouldn't be relied on as absolute truth. Minor adjustments are essential to optimizing progress towards goal. And these adjustments are either plus or minus. I'm a firm believer that maximizing calories in while still making satisfactory progress towards goal is ideal.
  • snowmaniac
    Options

Good points.

However, I'd actually take this recommendation a step further and say that ideally, someone just starting this process should spend at least a week just accurately (w/ measuring cups and scale) and consistently tracking their normal intake. Use that as a starting point for possible TDEE. Reduce that by 10-20% (depending on how far from goal you're starting) and use that as your target for 4-6+ weeks. Evaluate your progress towards goal at the end of that block and make adjustments as necessary. (Pro-tip: Don't be misled by changes that occur in the first week or two of reducing calories. These are bogus and have almost nothing to do with fat loss. Similarly, don't be misled by changes that occur in the first week or two of starting a new/more intense exercise program. These are also bogus and have almost nothing to do with muscle gain.)

All online TDEE calculators are estimates. They're a fine starting point, but shouldn't be relied on as absolute truth. Minor adjustments are essential to optimizing progress towards goal. And these adjustments are either plus or minus. I'm a firm believer that maximizing calories in while still making satisfactory progress towards goal is ideal.

All excellent points. For the sake of the newbies I stress starting with a TDEE calculator and a preferred alternative to simply pulling numbers out of thin air as is the way many of them approach it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Good points.

All excellent points. For the sake of the newbies I stress starting with a TDEE calculator and a preferred alternative to simply pulling numbers out of thin air as is the way many of them approach it.

That's fair.

I'll offer my alternative to the TDEE calculator for those who want to take on the challenge of really nerding out from the beginning.

That said, either of these approaches will be so much better than a number out of thin air...and all should be tweaked and adjusted along the way.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

I'll offer my alternative to the TDEE calculator for those who want to take on the challenge of really nerding out from the beginning.

I like doing different things to keep health and nutrition interesting. I like to nerd out. I haven't been tracking in some time. I may do this, as my goal for this year anyway is to do better with IIFYM (protein, mainly.)
  • emmietoby
    emmietoby Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    like many on here i try to keep it to 1200. most days i'm fine . trying to keep to it .add me ( all of you!! ) glad to get tips and hints on staying on 1200!!
    friends
  • lancemom
    lancemom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can add me too. I had a terrible December too. Trying to be back on track! Would love a friend.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Good points.

I would venture to say that sadly, almost no one wants to take that much time. The almost instant gratification of suddenly restricting yourself to 1200 calories is too much for most to resist. Until they get tired to yo-yo'ing, then they will either give up, or come back and try to figure out why they aren't succeeding. Then maybe.

ETA: I feel like we are posting in the middle of a freakin' stampede. :ohwell:
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Seriously, try using one of the TDEE calculators like http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/, and see what it tells you. I'd be shocked if you see anything close to 1200 calories as the recommended amount.

This one gave me 1153 calories for resting days and 1442 for 3 workout days a week. :grumble: (Setting it on sedentary is unfortunately correct for me right now, with nothing I can do about that for awhile.) For .33 lbs a week. Hopefully I did something wrong.

(Set to lightly active, I get 1321 for rest and 1652 for workout, but again, for only .38 loss a week.)

*After some PM's, I'll try changing the deficit to 10% which will give me 1477 calories.) (I've confused myself again-when I plug in 10%, I get 1297. Back to PM!) (There are different BMR formulas available, which was the difference in our results.)
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I should... and I am trying to... so feel free to add me if you want
  • snowmaniac
    Options
    Seriously, try using one of the TDEE calculators like http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/, and see what it tells you. I'd be shocked if you see anything close to 1200 calories as the recommended amount.

This one gave me 1153 calories for resting days and 1442 for 3 workout days a week. :grumble: (Setting it on sedentary is unfortunately correct for me right now, with nothing I can do about that for awhile.) For .33 lbs a week. Hopefully I did something wrong.

(Set to lightly active, I get 1321 for rest and 1652 for workout, but again, for only .38 loss a week.)

What is your current age, height and weight if I may ask. Feel free to pm me the numbers if you like.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    I PM'ed the specifics, but for clarity's sake in the spirit of this thread, I am petite and sedentary. (Translation-results not typical. Most people won't get those numbers.)