Looking to add people on 1200 calories a day

Options

Replies

• valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    This is the third or fourth time I've linked this article:

http://www.dailyhiit.com/hiit-blog/hiit-diet/1200-calories/

These articles give good information. Take the time to see what is best for your body!

That link doesn't work. And when I searched the site I see it is saying that 1200 is a 'dangerous' number. lol

Not sure why the link won't work. But the articles isn't about 1200 being a dangerous number. Basic points would be:
    - this idea that 1200 calories and cardio is the way to lose weight is outdated and potentially dangerous. (and there are still a lot of people who do believe it should be 1200 calories)
    -that eating only 1200 calories and then adding cardio is dangerous
    -this psychological tendency to view calories as somehow evil is also a wrong perspective
    - thinking that the amount of calories is what makes something bad for you instead of the type of calories is also wrong
    -a fear of bulking up or lifting needs to be addressed.
    - lifting is one of the better ways to lose weight.

The author tends to rant about calorie counting which makes me roll my eyes a bit. Counting calories has it's uses but as information. What's in those calories is more important and something I'm still trying to put into practice. (I'm a processed food junkie). They give some good information and at the very least promotes some deeper thought into my health and how I approach it. Which is more useful then just throwing out some arbitrary number (high or low) and blindly following it.

We rant about calorie counting here too. Because IT IS important. Just wait until you have been here awhile and seen all of those 'Why am I not losing weight' threads. I agree with all the points of the article. But I found the title alarmist.

The title is "1200 calories is not a magic number". seems fairly accurate for me.

Also, I think you misunderstood me. That author ranted in a negative way about calorie counting. Implying that it was fairly useless. I was trying to say that calorie counting is necessary, but should be tempered with knowledge of the types of calories that you're eating and how much your specific body needs.

Also...Ive been on MFP since February of 2010... through two different pregnancies. I am very familiar with the same types of posts repeated over and over and over again. Probably why I get annoyed at all the 1200 calorie people who are doing it WITHOUT first having figured out what their body needs.
  • sandmyst
    sandmyst Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I joined here because i joined DietBet and I know 4% will be hard for me! I need to get my money back, so I want the support and help. Thank you all for your inspiration!!! I like how this calorie counter even shows a graph and vitamins for the day. I was given 1200 cal. a day to reach my goal. I know I need to exercise to eat well!
    :flowerforyou:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight on 1550 NET calories (ie 1750 or so total a day). I was never hungry, never fell off the wagon, didn't lose a bunch of muscle mass, and didn't regain the weight like so many do.

Read the sexy-pants link as well as this one:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
    or the short n sweet version here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

1200 calories is not enough for 95% of you guys. It's unhealthy and hard to maintain. Damaging your metabolisms by losing muscle is NOT a good thing, and you will be unhappy to boot! Do it the right way once, rather than the fast way over and over and over...and over...

Here are some links that have been posted multiple times before...

Yes. And going by those links, the same still holds true for those of us who are older and slimmer. I have posted those links plenty of times myself. And I really don't think that the number of people for whom the 'must be above 1200' rule applies is 95% or greater. Where does that number come from?

ETA: Oh, I see it came from jof, not you. I've been joffed.

Yeah, that was me...and was based on nothing more than my best guess (which I think I disclosed when I first offered it). I'm standing by it, but it's still not based on any real science.

No, actually it did come from the post I quoted! Sorry jof. Time for me to go to bed.

What!!! No way! I'm pretty sure I was first to offer the admittedly speculative 95% number...

(I'm still standing behind it though...especially now that I have at least some buy-in from others...)
  • thinandtrimmoma
    Options
    I am Also on1,200 a day
  • erotolepsy
    Options
    Me too, just come up with my plan and 1,200 seems to be the best for me. Would be great to have some support!
  • Lns25
    Lns25 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Im supposed to be on 1200cal but some days I sit around 1000 - (I know... I KNOW.. I should be eating more).. :)
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I never eat 1200 as I am active and add my workouts & walks (I have a step counter on my phone). I am set to 1200, but even on rest day I walk enough to add 300 from working alone.

feel free to add me, and make sure you stay active to earn extra calories as 1200 is low if you don't earn some extra!

Good luck
  • BecWen
    BecWen Posts: 3
    Options
    hello my name is Rebecca, I have just joined and on 1200 calories a day! I have lost weight successfully in the past but have been finding it hard this time.. Having others with similar goals would great!
  • Amielou55
    Amielou55 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Amie, just started New Year Day- 1200 Calories a day! I have lost 5.8 lbs as of this morning!!! Have a great day!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight on 1550 NET calories (ie 1750 or so total a day). I was never hungry, never fell off the wagon, didn't lose a bunch of muscle mass, and didn't regain the weight like so many do.

Read the sexy-pants link as well as this one:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
    or the short n sweet version here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

1200 calories is not enough for 95% of you guys. It's unhealthy and hard to maintain. Damaging your metabolisms by losing muscle is NOT a good thing, and you will be unhappy to boot! Do it the right way once, rather than the fast way over and over and over...and over...

Here are some links that have been posted multiple times before...

Yes. And going by those links, the same still holds true for those of us who are older and slimmer. I have posted those links plenty of times myself. And I really don't think that the number of people for whom the 'must be above 1200' rule applies is 95% or greater. Where does that number come from?

ETA: Oh, I see it came from jof, not you. I've been joffed.

One of my best friends is over 40, 5'3" and has a thyroid condition. She's always eaten like a bird to maintain, but when I look at her numbers here on MFP, she's netting 1400. It's possible to need 1200 or less. However, it's pretty rare even for coma victims.
  • zaimahin
    Options
    Hello friends i am starting 1200 calorie and would love to have friends eating same and sharing tips and recipes.. pls feel free to add and suppot me, i need to lose atleast 50lb
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 yrs old, 5'2 and cw is 128. My BMR is 1290 and my TDEE to lose 1/2 pound is 1700 calories. I eat around 1900 calories and lose weight. JS :happy:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    This is the third or fourth time I've linked this article:

http://www.dailyhiit.com/hiit-blog/hiit-diet/1200-calories/

These articles give good information. Take the time to see what is best for your body!

That link doesn't work. And when I searched the site I see it is saying that 1200 is a 'dangerous' number. lol

Not sure why the link won't work. But the articles isn't about 1200 being a dangerous number. Basic points would be:
    - this idea that 1200 calories and cardio is the way to lose weight is outdated and potentially dangerous. (and there are still a lot of people who do believe it should be 1200 calories)
    -that eating only 1200 calories and then adding cardio is dangerous
    -this psychological tendency to view calories as somehow evil is also a wrong perspective
    - thinking that the amount of calories is what makes something bad for you instead of the type of calories is also wrong
    -a fear of bulking up or lifting needs to be addressed.
    - lifting is one of the better ways to lose weight.

The author tends to rant about calorie counting which makes me roll my eyes a bit. Counting calories has it's uses but as information. What's in those calories is more important and something I'm still trying to put into practice. (I'm a processed food junkie). They give some good information and at the very least promotes some deeper thought into my health and how I approach it. Which is more useful then just throwing out some arbitrary number (high or low) and blindly following it.

We rant about calorie counting here too. Because IT IS important. Just wait until you have been here awhile and seen all of those 'Why am I not losing weight' threads. I agree with all the points of the article. But I found the title alarmist.

The title is "1200 calories is not a magic number". seems fairly accurate for me.

Also, I think you misunderstood me. That author ranted in a negative way about calorie counting. Implying that it was fairly useless. I was trying to say that calorie counting is necessary, but should be tempered with knowledge of the types of calories that you're eating and how much your specific body needs.

Also...Ive been on MFP since February of 2010... through two different pregnancies. I am very familiar with the same types of posts repeated over and over and over again. Probably why I get annoyed at all the 1200 calorie people who are doing it WITHOUT first having figured out what their body needs.

I believe we are on the same page here. My rant was general and not necessarily related to you. I too posted a plea to the OP, siting BMR with the disclaimers of age and weight. And ran her numbers to give her a BMR estimate, which is 200 calories more than she is eating.

I apologize for my crankiness. I have been sick and unable to workout, and I fear it does nothing good for my disposition.:flowerforyou:
  • bno76
    bno76 Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi there, I'm on 1200 a day so feel free to add me :) This is my second attempt on MFP, I lost the weight I wanted to last year but unfortunately fell off the wagon pretty hard and put it all back on plus more. Would love to have some support :smile:
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I joined here because i joined DietBet and I know 4% will be hard for me! I need to get my money back, so I want the support and help. Thank you all for your inspiration!!! I like how this calorie counter even shows a graph and vitamins for the day. I was given 1200 cal. a day to reach my goal. I know I need to exercise to eat well!
    :flowerforyou:

Great! Now someone has thrown gambling into the fire. :noway:
  • jjennyb4
    jjennyb4 Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I am on a 1200 cal. diet... add me if you would like :smile:
  • happydreamy
    happydreamy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Committed women can add me! :)
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me also! 1200-1300 net
  • MamtaShenoy
    MamtaShenoy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me too! I am on 1200 cals a day. Please add me.
  • beckyhaa
    beckyhaa Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories a day too, anyone feel free to add me! I did not log for the last 6 weeks or so but am motivated to start again!